Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skippy Granola posted:

I just want to make sure I get this:

Russia plants some story about Qatar badmouthing president chump.

Chump says "yeah these Qataris are bad news what jerks. Let's get am!"

Saudi says "heh Yeah, those jerks... spreading extremism... heh"

Result: more instability in the middle east?

Edit: I apologise for walking into this movie halfway through but I am finding it real hard to keep all this straight in my head.

Yeah, pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Reminder that Trump was ALL IN on the Saudis attacking Qatar being a good thing

Based on a fake Russian hack

He's a very stupid person

Puppet. He's a very stupid puppet.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

JasonV posted:

Puppet. He's a very stupid puppet.

actually i think you'll find that "no puppet, you're the puppet"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Lote posted:

Qatar gets hosed. They lose oil production / have to devote resources to fixing its economy. Saudi Arabia profits from the instability.

Good heavens.

Do you ever get the feeling like you just stepped sideways out of your own body? Like, how is this real? How could a country get denounced over an unverified news story?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Skippy Granola posted:

Good heavens.

Do you ever get the feeling like you just stepped sideways out of your own body? Like, how is this real? How could a country get denounced over an unverified news story?

It's a little bit more than denounced. Qatar has no land, sea, or air rights to travel through the 7 countries. They import most food. Shipping is looking like it's completely out. Qatar is going to have to fly in all their food for the foreseeable future.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Skippy Granola posted:

Good heavens.

coordination and collusion

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Skippy Granola posted:

Good heavens.

The government is actually important, and good, and when you elect a bunch of morons to run things it actually has catastrophic effects really, really loving fast.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
And our State Department is still hobbled.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

oohhboy posted:

This. I find my art is form from function. Having an end goal and creating systems they do what I need efficiently is the name of my game. Maybe that is the same for you?

I get bored with Factorio too, if that's what you're asking. Still like it a lot better than minecraft.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/872217811120160769

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lote posted:

It's a little bit more than denounced. Qatar has no land, sea, or air rights to travel through the 7 countries. They import most food. Shipping is looking like it's completely out. Qatar is going to have to fly in all their food for the foreseeable future.

What are you basing that on?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Grapplejack posted:

Lol shut up mcmagic, you're such a disingenuous poo poo.

That's a new one... Even for my haters on here.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

theCalamity posted:

And our State Department is still hobbled.

That's a feature not a bug

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Please, for god's sake, accept you fat old bitch.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh please oh please oh please

let sessions lose his senate seat for all of five months in the trump administration

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What exactly do they WANT from Qatar? Or are they trying to force them to reach out to Iran for help, further condemning them?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Boon posted:

Looks semi-legit:

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/maersk-shipments-to-qatar-halted-by-shipping-ban

quote:

Whether the LNG market is ultimately affected remains to be seen, and opinion within the industry is divided. However, the ban is already disrupting dry cargo shipments: in a statement to Reuters, Maersk Line said that it has no way to get containers to and from Qatar because feeder transshipments from Jebel Ali to Doha are suspended.

So we're not talking about a literal blockade here, but it's meaningfully affecting shipping in and out Qatar.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
gently caress Russia, lets laugh at some weird poo poo.

Someone break down this one. I need to know why anyone thought any of this was a good idea.

TLDR -- students at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington asked for a 'Day of Absence', asking all the white people to leave the school for a day. A liberal professor (indicated by the article) disagrees with this, and then he's deemed a racist and students and a segment of the faculty demand his firing, because he's somehow endangering students.

Not to be outdone by asking white people to collectively gently caress off, groups of progressive students started roaming the school grounds with bats, because why not. The cherry on top are the counter-protesters, some identifying themselves with Limp-Bizkit themed protests.

This sounds like longform improv.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

:jackbud:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Boon posted:

Maps

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Boon posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN18X1YS

quote:

"We expect disruptions to our Qatar services. The situation is very fluid," the spokesman said, adding that Maersk would notify customers about alternative options as soon as possible.

The spokesman said the company, which is the world's biggest container shipping line, was looking at other routes such as Oman.

Larger container ships are unable to dock at ports in Qatar due in part to shallow waters so shipping lines use feeder services, which transport container boxes from the larger port of Jebel Ali in the United Arab Emirates.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Eltoasto posted:

What exactly do they WANT from Qatar? Or are they trying to force them to reach out to Iran for help, further condemning them?

The Russians want to gently caress up cheap oil so they can make money again, and the best way to do that is gently caress up the Middle East and destroy the US' global position. Lifting the sanctions would be great too. President gently caress Baby is like the answer to all their prayers, and they are going to go all in on taking their shot now because it's probably the last one they'll get. The Saudis just want to get paid.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 6, 2017

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Putin is all about driving a wedge between US allies so he can quietly annex parts of Eastern Europe.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

This. I find my art is form from function. Having an end goal and creating systems they do what I need efficiently is the name of my game. Maybe that is the same for you?

Tried Portal Knights? Minecraft but with goals and a plot and better graphics.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

That Evergreen poo poo is ridiculous. It's not worth anyone's time to concern themselves with a bunch of idiots.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ekster posted:

Putin is all about driving a wedge between US allies so he can quietly annex parts of Eastern Europe.

Oh yeah, I get the Russian interest. Do the Saudis have a plan or are they just real mad?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Also note that Putin, much like Trump and sociopaths in general, is a zero-sum player meaning that anything that is bad for the US must be good for him.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

gently caress Russia, lets laugh at some weird poo poo.

Someone break down this one. I need to know why anyone thought any of this was a good idea.

TLDR -- students at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington asked for a 'Day of Absence', asking all the white people to leave the school for a day. A liberal professor (indicated by the article) disagrees with this, and then he's deemed a racist and students and a segment of the faculty demand his firing, because he's somehow endangering students.

Not to be outdone by asking white people to collectively gently caress off, groups of progressive students started roaming the school grounds with bats, because why not. The cherry on top are the counter-protesters, some identifying themselves with Limp-Bizkit themed protests.

This sounds like longform improv.

The part of that you didn't include was that students of color have been participating in a "Day of Absence" for awhile, this year they decided "nah, the white students can bounce for a day" leading to the shitstorm around the professor in question. That's about where I lose interest though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If the media wants sessions out just start putting him on time magazine covers

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Oh yeah, I get the Russian interest. Do the Saudis have a plan or are they just real mad?

From what I understand the Gulf states are de facto vassal states of the Saudis, except for Qatar since the 90s. At times Qatar even funds rival factions in places like Libya and has decent relations with Iran, archnemesis of the Saudis.

With a retard US president they see their chance to force Qatar back in the fold.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ekster posted:

This, but it also deserves to be pointed out that for the Russian public, poking the U.S. in the eye is an end in and of itself. They don't necessarily need to gain any territory or even expand their sphere of influence all that much (although they'd obviously like both). They just need to feel like their country is powerful again, and can thwart American imperialism/unilateralism/however you want to fairly or unfairly characterize it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

evilweasel posted:

oh please oh please oh please

let sessions lose his senate seat for all of five months in the trump administration

Trump loves loyalty.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

If Sessions resigned couldn't Trump just appoint a new stooge who wouldn't be recused?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So here's what'll be fun: Did Trump know that the whole incident was sparked by the Russian hacking before he sent out the tweets condemning them and throwing them under the bus or after?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Eltoasto posted:

It's always a power play when it comes to the Saudis.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Don't focus too heavily on the planted story, it only represents a minor portion of Saudi-Qatari tensions and is more or less exactly as important as Jenkin's ear.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ah, they don't have a deepwater port - got ya. I really want to argue with a conservative about their support for Trump right now over a beer, just to blow off some frustration.

:allears:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Zophar posted:

If Sessions resigned couldn't Trump just appoint a new stooge who wouldn't be recused?

Still has to go before the senate, and the optics of an AG resignation would look really, really bad for Trump.

I'm also not convinced there are many people who would be worse as AG than Session.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Zophar posted:

In theory, yes. But the damage is done, and the special counsel exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zophar posted:

The special counsel is already appointed, and Trump's replacement would need Senate confirmation. And even for a Trump appointee Sessions is a terrible, terrible person and its likely that his replacement would be at least a little better.

• Locked thread