Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're too expensive now. You can fit 5 knights into a 2k list, but 4 of them have to be Gallants to fit. If you want guns you're looking at 4 Knights.

Good, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
No one wants to see two titans on the other end of the field much less five.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The funny thing is that army composition and lists are largely a joke. You could have an army consisting entirely of unique characters if you wanted.

Is there a restriction that says that multiple detachments have to share a commonality, or is that just for units inside a detachment? Could I have a detachment of Orks fighting next to a detachment of Eldar?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I believe detachments in the same army have to share a keyword. GSC have a rule that lifts that restriction for IG.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Only two things have really ruffled my feathers with 8th.

1. They kind of dropped the ball with Deathwatch.
-Deathwatch Terminators can now only take 3 heavy weapons, they used to be able to all take them. It really only bugs me because I only own 6 terminators, and 5 of them have assault cannons.
-No HQ options for Deathwatch outside of the Watch Master. Yeah, I can use the Space Marine dudes, but then they miss out on the Special Issue ammunition.

2. Looted Wagons aren't a thing anymore. But hopefully they'll come with the codex or even a White Dwarf entry. For now I'll have to use mine as counts-as Battlewagons or Trukks.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Pretty sure detachments have to share a key word.

Anyway, what exactly is a "Warlord". Heirs of Azkaellon allows hit rerolls if you're close to one but I don't see that in the keywords...?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Matched Play requires that all detachments in your army share at least 1 keyword. That keyword can be different than the one shared by the units within the individual detachments, so you could have 1 Space Marine Detachment and 1 Astra Militarum detachment and they both share the Imperium Keyword.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 6, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The funny thing is that army composition and lists are largely a joke. You could have an army consisting entirely of unique characters if you wanted.

Is there a restriction that says that multiple detachments have to share a commonality, or is that just for units inside a detachment? Could I have a detachment of Orks fighting next to a detachment of Eldar?

The rules for matched explicitly state all units need to share a keyword so orks and eldar wouldn't work. You could do a mix of eldar and dark eldar, or literally anything in the imperium, but not different xenos.

Edit: beaten like a 7th ed tyranids list.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You pick a model to be your Warlord, and if that model is a Character you get a special ability as well. If your Warlord dies in most missions your opponent gets a Victory Point.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

bonds0097 posted:

Matched Play requires that all detachments in your army share at least 1 keyword. That keyword can be different than the one shared by the units within the individual detachments, so you could have 1 Space Marine Detachment and 1 Astra Militarum detachment and they both share the Imperium Detachment.

As far as I know those Space Marines and IG can also be in the same detachment as long as they fit within at no penalty. In fact this is probably to be encouraged so you can get more CP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hra Mormo posted:

As far as I know those Space Marines and IG can also be in the same detachment as long as they fit within at no penalty. In fact this is probably to be encouraged so you can get more CP.

The codexs will probably reward you for being more focused. (Though some abilities already do.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm sure once codexes come out there will be boons to building a detachment that consists entirely of a specific chapter or craftworld but for now yeah there's no real reason to limit yourself outside of the very broad keywords of Chaos, Imperium and Aeldari except for some aura effects.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Floppychop posted:

-Deathwatch Terminators can now only take 3 heavy weapons, they used to be able to all take them. It really only bugs me because I only own 6 terminators, and 5 of them have assault cannons.
-No HQ options for Deathwatch outside of the Watch Master. Yeah, I can use the Space Marine dudes, but then they miss out on the Special Issue ammunition.

2. Looted Wagons aren't a thing anymore. But hopefully they'll come with the codex or even a White Dwarf entry. For now I'll have to use mine as counts-as Battlewagons or Trukks.

I don't like how blast weapons are worse in most ways, unless you're shooting at massive blobs of infantry.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MonsterEnvy posted:

The codexs will probably reward you for being more focused. (Though some abilities already do.)

Yeah, this is how Age of Sigmar handles it.

For example, you can build a mono-Khorne army, which gets special bonuses, or you can build a more general chaos army, which can take non-Khorne units too, but loses out on the bonuses granted to mono-Khorne army.

It's also how Death Guard and Thousand Sons get cult marine troops. For Rubric marines or Plague marines to be troops, you can only use their respective legions, which includes a list of the models applicable.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's also how Death Guard and Thousand Sons get cult marine troops. For Rubric marines or Plague marines to be troops, you can only use their respective legions, which includes a list of the models applicable.

It doesn't technically say you have to take only death guard to get those troops - just that certain units can't use Death Guard as their <Legion>. Death Guard HQ units give buffs to Death Guard units though, so taking a pure DG army would be more beneficial.

I'm also not the greatest reader apparently so I could be wrong, if so someone please clarify it before I start making my army lists...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't like how blast weapons are worse in most ways, unless you're shooting at massive blobs of infantry.

Since I mainly play Orks I had a love/hate relationship with templates. For one it let the big guns still have a decent chance of hitting something with the terrible Ork ballistic skill, but it also shredded mobs of boys.

I'd rather they stay in the game, but I understand why they're gone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah I missed the matched play part. OTOH defenses are unaligned. :getin:

2000 Points
7x Primaris Psykers: 40 Points
4x Vortex Missile Strongpoint: 430 Points

Mortal Wounds for Everyone!

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 6, 2017

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah for sure, like I wanted to splash in a psyker to my DEldar but found it pretty tricky. Shadowseers have great powers but 2 out of 3 only work on harlequins, as does the Shadowseer's amazing aura. Warlocks also have some decent powers, but again, half require Craftworld targets. Yvraine is the only one who can ride in a Dark Eldar transport at all, but again has mostly Ynnari specific powers. A warlock on bike might kinda work I guess.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You pick a model to be your Warlord, and if that model is a Character you get a special ability as well. If your Warlord dies in most missions your opponent gets a Victory Point.

That seems a little jank at face value but I haven't read any scenario/mission stuff yet.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Hra Mormo posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply you couldn't mix those 2 in a single detachment, since they obviously share a keyword.

As noted though, a lot of stuff has <Regiment> or <Chapter> skills so mixed detachments seem like they'd be less effective.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DiHK posted:

That seems a little jank at face value but I haven't read any scenario/mission stuff yet.

Its one of the oldest rules in the game. You're just nominating a model to be your commander for the fight.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

:five:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2000 Points

Smite only has I believe a 50% chance of going off without things going horribly wrong.

Also against another forged army this won't last long.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Smite only has I believe a 50% chance of going off without things going horribly wrong.

Smite hits on 5+, Perils of the Warp only hits on a double 1 or a double 6. Your maths are way off.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I love you moola

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Each of those fortifications has 30 wounds at T10. They each get D6 shots at 5+ to hit. Every hit does D6 mortal wounds. Every hit that doesn't kill a model will do a further D6 mortal wounds on a 6.

Effective or not it looks stupid fun.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The thread regrets it

Daily

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2000 Points

If it's fun for you, go ahead I guess. FWIW, the buildings have Firing Points specifically - models can shoot out - so the Psykers inside can't do anything unless they disembark. Seems like a bit of a poor man's alternative to actually playing a game.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

The thread regrets it

Daily

BULBASAUR posted:

The thread regrets it

Daily

Dont worry old timer you can stay in the past with 30k and the scary future with it's Good Rules won't hurt you there

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Floppychop posted:

I'm really bummed at how bland the GSC is for the same type of reason as your Deathwatch stuff. I was planning to paint and play them first as my 8th Edition thing but I may just stick to Tyranids.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ElNarez posted:

Smite hits on 5+, Perils of the Warp only hits on a double 1 or a double 6. Your maths are way off.

Sorry, meant of going off.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Genghis Cohen posted:

If it's fun for you, go ahead I guess. FWIW, the buildings have Firing Points specifically - models can shoot out - so the Psykers inside can't do anything unless they disembark. Seems like a bit of a poor man's alternative to actually playing a game.

Huh. Good catch. I think the same rule applies to open topped vehicles.

I think taking one and filling it with Lootas might be viable.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Huh. Good catch. I think the same rule applies to open topped vehicles.

I think taking one and filling it with Lootas might be viable.

The rules for the Vortex seem really weird. Mortal Wounds inherently spill over between models (you do MW to the unit as a whole) but the way it's written implies you do the D6 MW to each model, with the spillover wasted. Maybe that's just me. If the normal procedure for MW applies, it can be quite a few hits on an elite unit. 5+ to hit can give you turns on end of sweet gently caress all though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

I love you moola

<3

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I hate you moola

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I've finished the first draft of my Tyrands Cheat Sheet.

Find it Here

Use it. Check it out. Let me know if you find any mistakes so I can fix them. I recommend downloading it and enabling editing. Google Docs tends to mess up the page breaks.

Edit: Moola is cool and good.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its one of the oldest rules in the game. You're just nominating a model to be your commander for the fight.

Oldest? I played 3rd through 5th and nobody referred to any of their HQ choices as warlord. First time I saw it, iirc, was when I was trying to make sense of allies in 6th.

But selecting a single HQ as 'warlord' isn't the janky part to which I refer :nerd: . The janky part is that if a mission does not call for a warlord then you have a unit with an ability that is wasted points.

But that's why I asked "what EXACTLY is a 'Warlord'?". So maybe that's wrong and you always nominate a single model as warlord. It's still a vague rule though, I mean what if I nominated my dick as warlord and what if my dick was 12"s long? (Or what of I nominated an Knight?
Depending on interpretation either lots of things are X inches from my base or only a few things are inches from my hull.)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You always nominate a single model as a warlord. It doesn't cost points. It also doesn't have to be an HQ, or at least didn't in 7th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

panascope posted:

I hate you moola

I'm largely indifferent to you Moola.

• Locked thread