Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So which sim/arcade mode should I use? Have this coming from amazon but tempted to just get a digital copy, not sure just how much I'll play it 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Too much grip is something you always hear when sim racing games tweak cars to be more realistic, because shocker race cars aren't really that hard to drive unless you're absolutely pushing on the limit. I'd be curious how many of the people saying there's too much grip are driving the Group B's or putting in top leaderboard times because those were the only times in Dirt Rally a car was outright hard to drive. The crashes came more from taking too much speed into corners and getting the lines wrong over jumps most of the time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's a dumb argument and one I can't ever take seriously considering that the typical person has almost zero experience actually rallying or racing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Shame that Dirt 4 is not on PCs till Friday, but then I do have Rally from one of the the Humble Monthlies. I think I will try to get into that when I get home.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

It's a dumb argument and one I can't ever take seriously considering that the typical person has almost zero experience actually rallying or racing.

The best moments on sim racing forums are when dudes complaining of too much grip are basically told to sit the gently caress down by people who've actually driven the cars for real. A surprising amount of racing game developers actually do race in real life (or are co-drivers in Dirt's case) because shocker, they like racing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Weird how that works?

Anyway, Dirt 4 is great. Nice looking game and the career mode is fun.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Subaru WRX STi NR4 is absolutely a pleasure to play with. Bumping up a torque bias to the front makes the car almost a cheat code.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there any demo for this game?

I like dirt rally but felt like it was a bit 'skatey' to drive.

if the cars feel more planted in this like everyone is saying I would like to play it, but i have heaps of content in DR to get through (im only on the 3rd tier still'

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't think I am in a hurry to get Dirt 4, because Rally is really loving awesome, it turns out.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Laserface posted:

There is an arcade mode for babies this time.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Huh, 120 possible slots in the garage?

Definitely not as "skatey", which is now my word of the day. If you've played Seabastian Loeb Rally, the handling is more like that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

A lot of sim nerds seen saying it's to grippy. But a of sim nerds seem to think realism means you have grease coated tires.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dirt 4 is good. The generated stages are a little samey a few hours in, though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Laserface posted:

is there any demo for this game?

if the cars feel more planted in this like everyone is saying I would like to play it, but i have heaps of content in DR to get through (im only on the 3rd tier still'

The cars in Dirt 4 have a better-realized sense of weight, which gives a nicer feel for what the car is doing. There's also some suspension stuff that seems improved.

After a few hours of playing 4 I went back to Dirt Rally and yea Rally plays looser. I won't say one is definitively better than the other but I prefer Dirt 4 in terms of how the cars handle. It's basically down to preference really.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Norns posted:

A lot of sim nerds seen saying it's to grippy. But a of sim nerds seem to think realism means you have grease coated tires.

lol i can only afford cheap/used tires irl so i was right at home in the 037 for the worst reasons

but yeah a lot of players don't even have much experience driving awd above the speed limit except when it snows like once a year

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I read that cars feel less different this time and at least 70's RWD cars understeer instead oversteering.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless you drive one of the cars in game in real life, there will never be a way to know how realistic it is. Even if a professional driver compares the game to real life, you don't know if he's just saying that for PR.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My favorite has always been the so called hardcore racing fans that act like crashes never happen in real world races.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I dunno, I kind of like the skatey feeling. When suspension is working it has moments of letting go for a sec to resettle which causes a lot of necessary driver input but the car can still rotate and corner. So its a bit weird to have a fully planted car that then just disconnects from the ground and flys into the forest.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So reading the first few posts, am I to understand that you also get money if you dont finish in the top 3? I keep resetting the game because I dont want to have all my progress wasted and also to not show any of my mistakes.

(That last part is a problem I have with a lot of videogames. Someone dies in XCOM? Restart all over. Someone dies in Darkest Dungeon? Restart. Lose a ranked match in Chessmaster? Restart. Anyone else have this problem? Is this normal?)

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's not normal, OP

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have restarted my XCOM 2 game more times than I can even count. Pretty sure I'm above 100 restarts now. Playing on Ironman does that to you.

I watched the Giant Bomb quick look of Dirt 4 and I like that the gymkhana-like stuff is fleshed out enough to basically have its own campaign. Also it actually looks kinda fun now it's based more around breaking blocks and just driving well and less around drifting.

If you want to pre-purchase the PC version it's currently down to £35 on Green Man Gaming which is the cheapest you'll find it right now at least digitally.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 8, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Unless you drive one of the cars in game in real life, there will never be a way to know how realistic it is. Even if a professional driver compares the game to real life, you don't know if he's just saying that for PR.

if this is why we won't see your friend's mom's honda accord in any cool games i'll be very upset

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know how to get a thread title changed but get some suggestions out for new thread titles, probably gonna rework the OP to better cover the whole Dirt series and make this a Dirt megathread.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

DiRT Megathread: Gripping Realism

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thrown up a new OP. Bit bare but I'll expand some bits related to DR and D4 later.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I think this comes out in 6 hours regardless of what steams stupid timer says?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yep Dev said the same. I forgot to preload and have 20 mb/s internet so it'll be a while before I can play :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hopefully dashmeterpro works with this. Pretty sure it will.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Thief posted:

DiRT Megathread: Gripping Realism

DiRT Megathread: Loosen Your Grip On Reality Mode

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Yep Dev said the same. I forgot to preload and have 20 mb/s internet so it'll be a while before I can play :(

I have it preloaded, gonna need it to get through election night.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Today's a real loving good day to escape for everyone

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Where da VR at? I love dirt rally in Vive but without it I ain't gonna play dirt 4.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

Where da VR at? I love dirt rally in Vive but without it I ain't gonna play dirt 4.

No VR in Dirt 4 and no plans for it, which probably says something about how many people played DR with VR.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
What time does the game unlock? I thought it'd be 15 minutes ago, but here we are.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

40 min

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

DIRT Megathread: Goon Park Expose

Looking forward to strapping into career mode this weekend. I fixed my dirt rally stutter last week and have been enjoying it on my new card all cranked up. Does does 4 have the same wheel and ffb settings rally had? I really liked the real rally settings that was up on steam works and want to set it up the same.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Alright only 5 hours for this to download now!

Why did games suddenly get so huge over the last couple years? No compression used anymore?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No steam workshop support is a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How's online? Anyone playing online on PS4? Just got my copy in the mail

Also what sim drive mode should I be using

• Locked thread