Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Is the Conaway Schiff thing being aired anywhere? It's not on cspan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zophar posted:

If Sessions resigned couldn't Trump just appoint a new stooge who wouldn't be recused?

Probably, but at least McCain will express concern as he votes to confirm.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

hanales posted:

Is the Conaway Schiff thing being aired anywhere? It's not on cspan.

If there were any shockers coming out of it, I'm sure they'd have made their way to Twitter and here by now

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

highme posted:

The part of that you didn't include was that students of color have been participating in a "Day of Absence" for awhile, this year they decided "nah, the white students can bounce for a day" leading to the shitstorm around the professor in question. That's about where I lose interest though.

So it started off with a self-identified walk off protest? Hmm...feels like the message gets distorted once you turn a voluntary protest into a demand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

oohhboy posted:

This. I find my art is form from function. Having an end goal and creating systems they do what I need efficiently is the name of my game. Maybe that is the same for you?

You'd probably do better with modded Minecraft, then. Things like Thermal Expansion or Botania and whatnot would give you goals to go for and so on.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Zophar posted:

If Sessions resigned couldn't Trump just appoint a new stooge who wouldn't be recused?

Can you imagine?

"BREAKING newly appointed AG Christie dismisses Special Investigator Mueller today after finding 'little to no evidence' '

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its possible there's a more evil Attorney General than Jeff Sessions out there but I'm happy to take my chances on getting rid of the devil we know.

Please resign for a really dumb reason, Jeff Sessions. It will be the only good thing you ever did in your life.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Blitz7x posted:

Can you imagine?

"BREAKING newly appointed AG Christie dismisses Special Investigator Mueller today after finding 'little to no evidence' '

Christie burps out a document, then quickly shoves it back into his maw.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

oohhboy posted:

This. I find my art is form from function. Having an end goal and creating systems they do what I need efficiently is the name of my game. Maybe that is the same for you?
If you haven't played Factorio, you really need to. Also Zachtronics' puzzle games - Spacechem, Infinifactory, TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

So it started off with a self-identified walk off protest? Hmm...feels like the message gets distorted once you turn a voluntary protest into a demand.
It's a pretty minor event in the grand scheme of things, and I haven't followed all the details, but I think when activists attempt to suppress views that can also shift easily into coercing others into carrying out speech acts. Mandatory pledges are an example of this. Part of "free speech" is that it (in theory) protects your right not to speak.

But as long as the college kids are having a good time I suppose that's fine. :toughguy:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I go to sleep, wake up, and see this poo poo? gently caress yes and holy gently caress.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
A bit more detail:

ABC posted:

As the White House braces for former FBI Director James Comey’s testimony Thursday, sources tell ABC News the relationship between President Donald Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions has become so tense that Sessions at one point recently even suggested he could resign.

The friction between the two men stems from the attorney general's abrupt decision in March to recuse himself from anything related to the Russia investigation -- a decision the president only learned about minutes before Sessions announced it publicly. Multiple sources say the recusal is one of the top disappointments of his presidency so far and one the president has remained fixated on.

Trump’s anger over the recusal has not diminished with time. Two sources close to the president say he has lashed out repeatedly at the attorney general in private meetings, blaming the recusal for the expansion of the Russia investigation, now overseen by Special Counsel and former FBI Director Robert Mueller.

But sources say the frustration runs both ways, prompting the resignation offer from Sessions.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

pumpinglemma posted:

If you haven't played Factorio, you really need to. Also Zachtronics' puzzle games - Spacechem, Infinifactory, TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O.
What this guy said, Factorio is loving crack if you like designing efficient systems. There's always another bottleneck or resource shortage that you need to fix, and you'll tell yourself that you'll save and quit after you just finish this one little thing but then there's two more things that'll just take two minutes to do and whoops it's 4am.

And Zachtronics is arguably the best puzzle-game studio of all time.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Ooh yes, forgot about Shenzhen I/O. It's freaking addictive.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

eviltastic posted:

A bit more detail:

lol Sessions is upset he doesn't have slaves or teenage Russian prostitutes yet

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

lol Sessions is upset he doesn't have slaves or teenage Russian prostitutes yet

Slaves can double as prostitutes, as I'm sure the first Jefferson Beauregard Sessions can relate

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

eviltastic posted:

A bit more detail:

Not surprising, with the way he fixates on perceived slights and such.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

JosefStalinator posted:

Slaves can double as prostitutes, as I'm sure the first Jefferson Beauregard Sessions can relate

I think the latter are technically supposed to be paid for their services, though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If sessions were to resign then AG and FBI director would probably be left vacant for the rest of the term

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trump's masterstroke to take control of the government will be to induce the resignation of the entire executive branch except himself.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

nachos posted:

If sessions were to resign then AG and FBI director would probably be left vacant for the rest of the term

What's the longest either (or both simultaneously) of these positions were vacant during a presidency? Because I imagine the FBI Dir vacancy is already setting some new record.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DO IT YOU gently caress

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

JosefStalinator posted:

Trump's masterstroke to take control of the government will be to induce the resignation of the entire executive branch except himself.

Followed by handing over all presidential duties to Jared.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The funniest thing in the world right now would be if Sessions blew a lifetime gig as Senator from Alabama to be the constantly abused and wildly incompetent AG for four months before getting turfed out by a manchild.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Followed by handing over all presidential duties to Jared.

Fogle? because he'll be less toxic to give the reins to.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Teddybear posted:

The funniest thing in the world right now would be if Sessions blew a lifetime gig as Senator from Alabama to be the constantly abused and wildly incompetent AG for four months before getting turfed out by a manchild.

When's the deadline to run in the 2017 special election in Alabama?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

No one is going to take these jobs.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Pollyanna posted:

DO IT YOU gently caress

https://twitter.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/872225227081744385

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ReidRansom posted:

Not surprising, with the way he fixates on perceived slights and such.
It really makes me wonder if there is anyone, anywhere who has worked with Trump in some capacity and not found themselves a target of Trump's grudge.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It really makes me wonder if there is anyone, anywhere who has worked with Trump in some capacity and not found themselves a target of Trump's grudge.

Putin.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

https://twitter.com/TheBenNatan/status/872225728338767873

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

gently caress Russia, lets laugh at some weird poo poo.

Someone break down this one. I need to know why anyone thought any of this was a good idea.

TLDR -- students at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington asked for a 'Day of Absence', asking all the white people to leave the school for a day. A liberal professor (indicated by the article) disagrees with this, and then he's deemed a racist and students and a segment of the faculty demand his firing, because he's somehow endangering students.

Not to be outdone by asking white people to collectively gently caress off, groups of progressive students started roaming the school grounds with bats, because why not. The cherry on top are the counter-protesters, some identifying themselves with Limp-Bizkit themed protests.

This sounds like longform improv.

I had a long argument on facebook about this with some conservative friends the other day.

So, the "Day of Absence/Presence" is an officially sanctioned college event. It's even on their website! http://evergreen.edu/multicultural/day-of-absence-day-of-presence

This professor, who has recently been in hot water because of his criticisms of hiring practices that were meant to encourage diverse hires (http://www.cooperpointjournal.com/2017/03/02/faculty-hiring-at-evergreen-hiring-continues-as-planned-amidst-faculty-equity-drama/), says he won't participate.

A group of students, who felt that this ALONG with his past behavior made him racist, asked that he leave. Some confronted him in front of his offices. There were polite discussions (as can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BwCJdZrBG0) and some angry students who are in the main video. One of them shouted he resign (followed by some laughter I think) but I don't recall a serious push for him to resign.

Now, he claims the police called him and said there were roving bands of people looking for him. The police have not corroborated that claim with any media outlet that requested so.

He also says he had to go hold his classes off campus at Olympia park which, if you look at the website, is actually part of the agenda for the day.

He also only held interviews with right wing media outlets as far as I can tell.

I have no idea what his actual stance is but he seems to be trying to take an evolution/science only approach to racism which may just be a smokescreen to hide behind. Not sure.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Inexplicably, Flynn.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
It just totally blows my mind that Trump is so bad at this that in mere months he's got Jeff Sessions considering walking away from the best chance he'll ever have to wreak the havoc he's always wanted.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
In a cute little irony, the next World Cup as we all know is in Qatar. Per FIFA's rules if all this poo poo makes them unable to host, the hosting rights revert to the nation which last held it.

You know. Russia.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It should be posted on the top of every single page that Trump has triumphantly taken credit for an international issue of great consequence that was begun by Russian misinformation igniting tensions in the region.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

eviltastic posted:

It just totally blows my mind that Trump is so bad at this that in mere months he's got Jeff Sessions considering walking away from the best chance he'll ever have to wreak the havoc he's always wanted.

Trump is like a time dilating black hole-- anyone sucked in looks like their career is flashing in a blink of an eye.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

gently caress Russia, lets laugh at some weird poo poo.

Someone break down this one. I need to know why anyone thought any of this was a good idea.

TLDR -- students at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington asked for a 'Day of Absence', asking all the white people to leave the school for a day. A liberal professor (indicated by the article) disagrees with this, and then he's deemed a racist and students and a segment of the faculty demand his firing, because he's somehow endangering students.

Not to be outdone by asking white people to collectively gently caress off, groups of progressive students started roaming the school grounds with bats, because why not. The cherry on top are the counter-protesters, some identifying themselves with Limp-Bizkit themed protests.

This sounds like longform improv.

As someone close to this issue, this is a terrible breakdown of what happened on campus. If you think the campus was terrorized by bat wielding SJWs or that the protest actions that targeted the President of the college were primarily about the DoA/DoP event on campus you have been given a very poor summary of the story. The protests were largely about campus specific issues related to campus policing and policy, and the email about the new DoA structure got rolled into that action as a minor side component, not the primary focus. I will also add that the new Day of Absence event was a voluntary off campus event that could only accommodate 200 students on a campus of thousands - this was not kicking whitey off campus, and the specific idioms of Bret Weinstein and his rhetorical style and need for his own platform have rolled this into the bullshit reactionary "free speech movement" that's infected the RWM, Berkeley and Portland recently.

Campus was closed on Thursday and Friday and Monday due to credible campus shooting threats against the school. The yearly science carnival which attracts hundreds of local elementary and secondary school kids to campus was canceled because of this, graduation is going to be held off campus in Tacoma for security reasons. If you follow through on that story about the "bat wielding mob", the event that Heat Street "chronicled" you'll notice it's dated to after the first campus closures, and in the context of these people chalking "Pepe" and engaging in "trolling" of the kids on a campus that's literally SHUT DOWN BECAUSE OF A SHOOTING THREAT maybe deserved more than a stern talking to. Especially in light of the death threats and racial harassment that's been barraging anyone publicly identified from any of the protest videos that have shown up on national media.

Maybe Mediaite pearl clutching that is quoting Heat Street isn't the best source for something connected to a small town college that has a tradition of radicalism and protests with more heart than strategy behind them.

E: the DoA/DoP has been an event that's been held for years at Evergreen, the only difference was that in past years the minority students who wanted to participate in the events would leave campus, this year they wanted to flip the script - not in any compulsory fashion, just a special off campus event that again, only 200 people could attend. Bret's email on the subject was part of an intracampus issue he's had with the new admin, but he couldn't resist dipping his biologist toes into the racial component of the event without apparently understanding how people would take it.

I have critiques of the approach that's been taken by the protest organizers (at the same time this was probably the first self initiated protest a lot of these kids took part in, so I'm more sympathetic to such missteps if people learn something) and the school in terms of how it's been communicated, but Bret took up every interview offer on the RWM he could it seems, and didn't care too much to give context that wasn't core to his personal stakes in the matter.

I personally think that it shows the limits of what a purely liberal name-and-shame approach to fighting racist ideology can accomplish. Even if you're trying to do the right thing, if all you have in your bag to address issues like this is public shaming, then I think you have a problem because you can't build broad solidarity when almost everyone is in some ways racist even if they're not trying to be.

But seriously gently caress that kid who got profiled in that heat street piece, he knew exactly what he was doing that day, and also knew how to mask it by being a disingenuous shithead - top kek mate, well memed.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 7, 2017

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
WC 2022 shouldn't be held in Qatar for completely other reasons, tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

eviltastic posted:

A bit more detail:

Haha, Trump thought he would be King of America and his word would be law. He has no idea how to deal with a process he can't command, intimidate, or buy out.

• Locked thread