Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

I feel almost contractually obligated to state I think Battleborn was the better and more complete game, and thay simultaneously there was not a single sensible marketing decision made for it and the game itself was full of absolutely bizarre design choices that helped kill it swifter than it would have otherwise.

Good news gamer!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-06-battleborn-free-trial-makes-the-game-free-to-play-essentially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I wish Fragged Empire was actually in god drat stock with any of the distributors I use :smith:

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Grey Hunter posted:

While I love the idea of fragged empire, my group bounced off character creation. We couldn't really figure gear out.

The designer's got some stuff up on his YouTube channel that might help, he recently re-did the character creation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XNP8QmJIPw

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

S.J. posted:

I wish Fragged Empire was actually in god drat stock with any of the distributors I use :smith:

It's odd to think I got my copy at a convention in bumfuck New York. Strangely, that's also where I found a copy of Dogs in the Vineyard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to play Fragged Empire, someone run a game on Roll20 or some poo poo

I'd run one myself but I just started a new Strike! game last weekend and naturally I always find out about cool poo poo after I've just gotten started with other cool poo poo.

Also I probably couldn't ever run a game with an established setting like this for my group because only like two of them would ever, ever read anything upfront and the moment I say something like "Kaltoran" the other three would probably check right out. I gotta play a little faster and looser with this group until a few sessions in at least. (And even then, if I want to introduce any fantasy species with a name more fantastical than "bird person" or "frog person" I'm really rolling the dice on my players a) actually remembering it, and b) not making fun of it enough to derail the scene immediately. They're my friends, I swear.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fragged Empires has a lot of great concepts and rules design but the rulebook is designed heavily for reference and not instruction, which is a tricky barrier to actually learning the game.

That's a pretty rough conundrum to overcome in games writing in general, and there's no solution that works for everyone. I'm kind of partial to the Vlaada method of having two books, one organized in learning order, the other organized in reference order, but some people hate that.

I think the way I would go, if I had the power, would be to put a teaching-organized rulebook available for free on the website, and have the physical book be the reference, probably with a brief 'get up to speed' foreword that points you at the website. Unfortunately, this cuts in to the market of people who want to buy your book to read while pooping, so :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Something similar to the Free RPG Day demo packs might be a good angle to take, too. Something with pregens that walks you through the basics of the system so you can get a good foundation before digging into the bigger book.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

Something similar to the Free RPG Day demo packs might be a good angle to take, too. Something with pregens that walks you through the basics of the system so you can get a good foundation before digging into the bigger book.
This is absolutely something that should be on the company's website. Cut-down quickstart rules + pregen characters + potted adventure + overview of the world + lots of worked examples in a free PDF.

Dec 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

This is absolutely something that should be on the company's website. Cut-down quickstart rules + pregen characters + potted adventure + overview of the world + lots of worked examples in a free PDF.

http://fraggedempire.com/#anchor_free_downloads They seem to have a decent amount of that down anyhow.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Terrible intro adventure idea: "Tutorial mode", where you're literally playing someone hired by a Corporate testing a VR gaming rig. It starts with chargen (using the actual Fragged Empire rules, broken down into q & a) then runs through various basic tasks ending in a combat. Then the sim ends and you can either make a 'real' character now that you know how it works, or keep playing your existing PC on the basis that you just entered something as close to yourself as possible. (The post-sim bit also doubles as a sort of tutorial on Spare Time and the ship building stuff.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's a good idea in general to approach learning a game as a series of discrete interactions with the mechanics, without having to specifically worry about "what makes sense in a plot" just yet.

Like, take 10-30 minutes to learn how to run a combat. Take 10-30 minutes to learn how to work the skill system. Don't sweat an overarching framework right off the bat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Since people who were interested may not follow the kickstarter thread: Fragged Empire KS is up. $22 US gets you PDFs of both supplements, the core book, and any stretch goals.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Now that my group finally finished up a long running D&D 5E game, one of the players in that game is going to run Traveller as a replacement. I've never actually played that before, though I understand it's generally "run a ship and crew through the galaxy trying to make a buck" type game. Any advice for playing more experienced people want to pass along?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Terrible intro adventure idea: "Tutorial mode", where you're literally playing someone hired by a Corporate testing a VR gaming rig. It starts with chargen (using the actual Fragged Empire rules, broken down into q & a) then runs through various basic tasks ending in a combat. Then the sim ends and you can either make a 'real' character now that you know how it works, or keep playing your existing PC on the basis that you just entered something as close to yourself as possible. (The post-sim bit also doubles as a sort of tutorial on Spare Time and the ship building stuff.)

That's how I framed the first session of my last shadowrun campaign

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since people who were interested may not follow the kickstarter thread: Fragged Empire KS is up. $22 US gets you PDFs of both supplements, the core book, and any stretch goals.

Holy poo poo, one of them is explicitly for playing Soulsborne tabletop, huh?

Welp, guess I'm backing that. Good way to get the core book too, I suppose!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

MadDogMike posted:

Now that my group finally finished up a long running D&D 5E game, one of the players in that game is going to run Traveller as a replacement. I've never actually played that before, though I understand it's generally "run a ship and crew through the galaxy trying to make a buck" type game. Any advice for playing more experienced people want to pass along?

Well, the main question is "what edition of Traveller?" Assuming it's the latest Mongoose version, that's a pretty solid summary. It's almost always a pretty sandboxy game, so help your GM out and be proactive as a group with proposing things and looking for interesting places to go and things to do.

A lot will depend on whether you're up to your eyeballs in debt or not; that's one of the main ways campaigns are driven in Traveller.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

I'm searching for that name, but Skype ain't bringing it up

Weird, try Alex Dickbagson

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hypnobeard posted:

Well, the main question is "what edition of Traveller?" Assuming it's the latest Mongoose version, that's a pretty solid summary. It's almost always a pretty sandboxy game, so help your GM out and be proactive as a group with proposing things and looking for interesting places to go and things to do.

A lot will depend on whether you're up to your eyeballs in debt or not; that's one of the main ways campaigns are driven in Traveller.

There's also the group based around having a scout courier. Basically a free ship, and jump 2 makes it easier to get places. That lends itself to what I call "The A-Team crossed with Indiana Jones, in space." This can lead to very freewheeling campaigns.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The first-and-last game of Traveller I ran didn't even leave the planet. I started the game in a dingy bar, with potential "job" offers from a corporate espionage agent, a weekend warrior merc-type in a camouflage wife-beater, and an office secretary that badly needed help.

They approached the last one and I pitched a Burn Notice-esque plot hook where she found her boss's embezzlement spreadsheets and is now in fear for her life. The party takes on her plea and begins scouting the dirty warehouse where her boss's deals are going down. As they're trying to form up a plan, they ask me what the "law level" on this planet. I look up my random rolls and come back with ... "uhhh, zero?"

The party breaks into hysterics as they realize that there's no cops on this planet, so they quickly go full SovCit, knock over the warehouse at gunpoint, and recover the dirty financial data from an office computer. They then go over to the boss's house, kidnap him, and put him on a slow transport off-planet while leaking his fraudulent deals so he can't come back on pain of death.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Who here eenjoys licensed MMOs?

http://www.pcgamer.com/magic-the-gathering-is-getting-the-aaa-rpg-treatment/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

quote:

Announced today, the game – which appears to be titled simply 'Magic: The Gaterhing' –

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are at least a couple of Magic: The Gathering planes that I think would be really cool settings for an RPG so I'm going to hope it doesn't suck.

That said, it's being developed by a couple of studios who, to my knowledge, specialize in free-to-play MMOs designed to be just functional enough to suck money out of whales, so I'm not exactly optimistic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Neverwinter was f2p trash.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The grand tradition of lovely M:tG computer games continues unabated I see.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm excited for Magic the Gatoring, where you play as magic alligators.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Harrow posted:

There are at least a couple of Magic: The Gathering planes that I think would be really cool settings for an RPG so I'm going to hope it doesn't suck.

That said, it's being developed by a couple of studios who, to my knowledge, specialize in free-to-play MMOs designed to be just functional enough to suck money out of whales, so I'm not exactly optimistic.
Dominaria is of course the obvious first pick, and could be really fun. Ravnica is the other obvious choice since guilds are an easy stand-in for classes. I kinda wanna see a Kamigawa game just to see how much nerd rage sprays out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Aside from being a lovely set mechanically, what's wrong with Kamigawa?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if going between the different planes isn't front and center.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Aside from being a lovely set mechanically, what's wrong with Kamigawa?
A lot of people were salty that it wasn't the stereotypical anime feudal not-japan setting, and a bunch of other people thought it wasn't historical japan enough. Also the plot was kind of awkward and when you combine that with wrapping up 95% of the value of an entire set into one card and have a big pile of really boring mechanics on top of that, announcing a Magic MMO (which some people have been clamoring for since Everquest) and then setting it in one of the least enjoyed block's setting would create an enormous amount of salt.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Impermanent posted:

I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if going between the different planes isn't front and center.

If it's not about Planeswalking then I'm not sure what the point would be in using the licence

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yawgmoth posted:

A lot of people were salty that it wasn't the stereotypical anime feudal not-japan setting, and a bunch of other people thought it wasn't historical japan enough. Also the plot was kind of awkward and when you combine that with wrapping up 95% of the value of an entire set into one card and have a big pile of really boring mechanics on top of that, announcing a Magic MMO (which some people have been clamoring for since Everquest) and then setting it in one of the least enjoyed block's setting would create an enormous amount of salt.

this is all accurate and that's why I hope it is set in Kamigawa

Splice was fun goddamnit!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I remember hearing an anecdote that they later regretted not making the mechanic "Splice onto Instants" or "Splice onto Sorceries", so they could eventually revisit it. But because it was Splice Onto Arcane, and the Arcane keyword is only in Kamigawa, its a mechanic that's completely dead outside that block.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The TT mechanics will probably be irrelevant outside of some name references, so whatever. If they do it right they'll just have different raids and poo poo be set in different planes and you just planeshift between them.

gnome7 posted:

I remember hearing an anecdote that they later regretted not making the mechanic "Splice onto Instants" or "Splice onto Sorceries", so they could eventually revisit it. But because it was Splice Onto Arcane, and the Arcane keyword is only in Kamigawa, its a mechanic that's completely dead outside that block.

Err, I mean, there's really zero reason they couldn't alter it from a mechanical perspective. They could introduce different kinds of splicing into different sets in a block if they really wanted to. They probably regretted it in retrospect but it wouldn't prevent anything going forward. It certainly sucks as far as the current card pool, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What was that Ravenlofty plane a few sets back? That'd be a cool setting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Innistrad? It got all-but blowed up. An angry planeswalker summoned the flying spaghetti monster's angry sister.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pope Guilty posted:

Innistrad. It would be a cool setting, assuming they go back to the original stuff and not the paint-by-numbers cthulhu plot they did in the second block.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

an Innistrad video game would be a lower budget Bloodborne otherwise, yeah

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

They missed the chance of licensing it out to Yoko Taro.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mover posted:

an Innistrad video game would be a lower budget Bloodborne otherwise, yeah

instead of furiously pumping your axe you can loop shuffling your deck aggressively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sexpig by night posted:

instead of furiously pumping your axe you can loop shuffling your deck aggressively

tap your mana at a 45 degree angle.

• Locked thread