Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
this guy works for apple to be clear. he loves to say ical instead of calendar which should tell you about all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

always bring your own printout of your cv to the interview because a recruiter will gently caress with it given the opportunity

otoh why the gently caress would you use an external recruiter ever
this is rule #1 of in person interviews - bring multiple copies of your resume/cv with you (along with a pad of paper and a nice pen, in one of those professional looking padded folio things)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i accepted the offer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.

haha now you have to try to find housing in the bay area

e: also congratulations

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.

:boom:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

think how good it will feel to never work at epic again

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.
contrats on future-proofing your resume. good move.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.

:yotj:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FMguru posted:

this is rule #1 of in person interviews - bring multiple copies of your resume/cv with you (along with a pad of paper and a nice pen, in one of those professional looking padded folio things)
if I'm sitting in a room with someone I've already read their resume, and if they hand me a paper copy it's going right into the recycling bin once I shake their hand and leave the room

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.
grats!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Elysiume posted:

if I'm sitting in a room with someone I've already read their resume, and if they hand me a paper copy it's going right into the recycling bin once I shake their hand and leave the room
grats!

Same but I've not read it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Elysiume posted:

if I'm sitting in a room with someone I've already read their resume

wow, lookit this braggart with a "minimally functional HR department"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

me interviewing for job: wow I can't believe how disengaged these engineers are
me 5 minutes before interviewing someone else: gently caress when did I agree to this how did it get on my calendar

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

think how good it will feel to never work at epic again

or having to live in madison

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

jre posted:

Same but I've not read it.
as long as it's one page I'll give it a skim. at minimum just to see what languages I can expect them to use

if it's longer than one page it better be a god drat amazing resume

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm always weirded out when people say only use one page for a resume but then remember because i did stupid science i have a CV so it has to list my patents and publications. i started a new job a few months ago out of grad school and hate it because its not what i was expecting so i''m already interviewing for new jobs and the wait is awful. it takes forever for large companies to do anything.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

PierreTheMime posted:

I just did this and the recruiter was super-helpful and actually went to the mat to get me the rate I asked when the client pushed back. it's a 6mo contract-to-hire and it's basically just a buffer for the corp to not accidentally hire an idiot/liability and drop bad gets with little effort. I'm in a pretty specific field so typically when a recruiter cold calls me they mean business

Contract to hire is ok when you really need a job and you don't have much experience, but for someone who's already employed full time it's an insult, especially in a specific field where THEY called YOU. If they mean business then I'd expect the offer to reflect that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

controversial take: a readable two page resume is much better than a 1-pager that's incomplete or filled with walls of tiny 8 point text

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qirex posted:

controversial take: a readable two page resume is much better than a 1-pager that's incomplete or filled with walls of tiny 8 point text

yeah who the gently caress is printing resumes anyway lmao

nobody really has trouble scrolling to the next page of my legible and full of white space 1.5 page resume PDF

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.

heck yes. enjoy the west coast.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
oh and i got the money i need to be credit card free for the first time in my life. whooooo

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cis autodrag posted:

oh and i got the money i need to be credit card free for the first time in my life. whooooo

this is a good place to be and I'm glad things are working out

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I'm always weirded out when people say only use one page for a resume but then remember because i did stupid science i have a CV so it has to list my patents and publications. i started a new job a few months ago out of grad school and hate it because its not what i was expecting so i''m already interviewing for new jobs and the wait is awful. it takes forever for large companies to do anything.

a CV is not even useful in academia. people do it because it's what you're Supposed To Do, but anyone who actually wants to look at your whole history of publications will go to your website. when you're applying for a job they just skim through the list looking for prestigious journals or conferences, count up those papers, and ignore everything else. all parties would be better off with a 1-2 page resume that highlights the most important accomplishments, just like industry

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
i don't care if your resume is one, two or three pages just don't send me twelve. people still loving doing that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.

:yotj:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm only going to look at the first page so it doesn't matter how long your resume is, the rest of that poo poo is getting ignored.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

I'm only going to look at the first page so it doesn't matter how long your resume is, the rest of that poo poo is getting ignored.

Ya. Two page resumes are good but like only if the important poo poo is on the first page. Everything on the second page I feel is for an optional bonus when you're coming into interview.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

a CV is not even useful in academia. people do it because it's what you're Supposed To Do, but anyone who actually wants to look at your whole history of publications will go to your website. when you're applying for a job they just skim through the list looking for prestigious journals or conferences, count up those papers, and ignore everything else. all parties would be better off with a 1-2 page resume that highlights the most important accomplishments, just like industry

agreed. when i have more experience I'll be able to cut it down more. my advisor stills keeps his CV somewhat up to date for whatever reason and it is something stupid like 32 pages long.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
we keep getting candidates come in with four-page resumes jammed full of technologies and buzzwords (both an overall section, and an explicit section for each individual job listed) and we never read any of them. it's endemic and so stupid, nobody reads that poo poo. "ah yes I see you used .net 4.5 at your most recent job and .net 4 at the one before that and .net 3.5 at the one before that and .net 3.0 at the one before that, these are all very important for the work we do here."

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
resume tailoring is the easiest loving thing in the world 90% of the time

don't include outdated/irrelevant skills, and don't put down poo poo you wouldn't be comfortable answering a question about in an interview

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

raminasi posted:

we keep getting candidates come in with four-page resumes jammed full of technologies and buzzwords (both an overall section, and an explicit section for each individual job listed) and we never read any of them. it's endemic and so stupid, nobody reads that poo poo. "ah yes I see you used .net 4.5 at your most recent job and .net 4 at the one before that and .net 3.5 at the one before that and .net 3.0 at the one before that, these are all very important for the work we do here."

I mean 4 pages is obviously loving retarded and the fact they sent in more than 2 pages, let alone 4, is enough reason to reject them on the spot

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

so the recruiter has told me that I can pretty much expect an offer

since starting the job search process, the girlfriend has gone from being positive on relocating, to lukewarm on relocating, to basically being against it now. So if I accept it, we're going to be mostly long distance for the entirety of the time that I'm working there. Apparently when I asked her about it at the start, and she said yes to moving, it was partially because she didn't think much about it, and partially because she didn't think I'd be successful in applying to big tech. i mean I can understand that it has negatives for her, since she wouldn't be able to work she'd have a big gap on her resume when we eventually come back to canada, and it would mean losing her current job that she really likes. but I mean surely hanging around califonia with tons of free time has some upsides too

but I feel like if I don't take this opportunity, I'm going to regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon enough I'll start wondering what was down that other path. then again I grew up thinking anyone who ditched love for a career was an idiot, and here I am ready to head down that path.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
your girlfriends instincts are right. as a woman you are investigated with great suspicion for any gap on employment. you should try to make long distance work if this job truly is the life maker.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DuckConference posted:

I grew up thinking anyone who ditched love for a career was an idiot, and here I am ready to head down that path.

would you marry her tonight? that's probably the same answer to the question "should you pass this up?"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

we're going to be mostly long distance for the entirety of the time that I'm working there.

sorry about your impending breakup. don't worry, you can meet women at work. lol no you can't

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ugh, why did she have to give an emphatic "yes" when I first asked her if she would move to california? like if it was more of a maybe, tell me so. I wouldn't have even applied if she hadn't said yes at first.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.

:pgabz::peanut::lumpen::syoon:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!

DuckConference posted:

she said yes to moving... partially because she didn't think I'd be successful in applying to big tech

this sounds like a lovely thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

plus sized tech

• Locked thread