Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Veskit posted:

Yeah I saw that but that's not really what Dana said is it?

I'm not speaking to what Dana said, I'm speaking to what YOU said and

Veskit posted:

I've been following it enough but i severely doubt that there's a written minimum that you are allowed to get points on a PPV fight during the negotiations of the fight itself. There's a difference between you get no points on the fight, and you'll start accruing points when you hit this amount of buys. If you think about it that's not even enforceable

Like it's in the contract itself. You don't get paid on points until 200k+ buys. This is not speculation.

Like the only person I can think of that contested his contract was Randy when he tried to leave to fight Fedor, and he lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

And Bryan Cranston should've made more money for Breaking Bad than Kevin James does for his trainwreck piece of poo poo but that's not how the world works.

Do you think the producers of that show treated Cranston like poo poo on top of it?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Skip My Posts posted:

What's dj get from reebok? Isn't it based on ranking and amount of fights?

They took the ranking component out of the Reebok deal because there was complaining that payouts would be in part determined by guys like that Brazilian journalist who dropped Conor McGregor's ranking because he was mad that Conor beat Jose Aldo.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Lamas is fighting Jason knight at ufc 214 which is a cool fight imo

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
If lazy rear end Mighty Mouse would take some time off being he best fighter in the world and say some poo poo about red panties into a microphone, preferably while being bigger and whiter, the UFC might see their way clear to putting up a meme about him on their Twitter, or hell, maybe even a fifteen second highlight reel promo. As it is though he doesn't have what it takes to be a superstar since he hasn't even lost to Nate Diaz yet.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gay Horney posted:

If lazy rear end Mighty Mouse would take some time off being he best fighter in the world and say some poo poo about red panties into a microphone, preferably while being bigger and whiter, the UFC might see their way clear to putting up a meme about him on their Twitter, or hell, maybe even a fifteen second highlight reel promo. As it is though he doesn't have what it takes to be a superstar since he hasn't even lost to Nate Diaz yet.

To get promoted you have to do a line with Dana off his collection of fossil skulls.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skip My Posts posted:

I agree with inri that the 10/10 guys that fill out cards are the ones that really deserve a raise to at least a livable income after training expenses

I am also of the opinion they "deserve" more money. That being said Chael made a good point last week. When he first joined the UFC just over 10 years ago the minimum was 2k/2k. How many other industries or businesses do you know that have voluntarily increased their lowest paid guys salary by 5x? Have any even done it involuntarily? Go listen to his podcasts from last week, he has better points than any of us in this thread.

Queering Wheel posted:

Some of Canelo Alvarez and GGG's PPVs haven't done much better than Mighty Mouse's PPVs, but they still earned a couple million each time. I don't think that wanting the best P4P MMA fighter in the world to make more show money than CM Punk is all that much to ask for, but that's just me.

I want him to make more than CM punk too, but in this "sport" your value is based on the number of tickets you can sell, not how many techniques you know.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
well if they want their fighters to perform better to improve their product they should pay them enough so they can train full time without needing another job, even the card filler guys

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Skip My Posts posted:

well if they want their fighters to perform better to improve their product they should pay them enough so they can train full time without needing another job, even the card filler guys

Didn't Miocic have a day job while holding the belt up until very recently?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Trast posted:

Didn't Miocic have a day job while holding the belt up until very recently?

I don't think so exactly. I believe he was and still is a volunteer fireman.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

On the one hand, this guy is extremely good at basketball, and is totally reliable. On the other hand, he never once got in a screaming argument with another basketball player. Look, as a fan, all I'm saying is I'm going to need a detailed breakdown of how he's helping the NBA's bottom line before I agree it's bullshit that management routinely kidnaps him and hits him with hammers.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if miocic was getting paid so little he needed a day job then i don't begrudged mighty mouse angling for a fairer deal because post fight the ufc repossesses his furniture and fucks his wife

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

because post fight the ufc repossesses his furniture and fucks his wife

Wrong flyweight. That's McCall.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Best Friends posted:

On the one hand, this guy is extremely good at basketball, and is totally reliable. On the other hand, he never once got in a screaming argument with another basketball player. Look, as a fan, all I'm saying is I'm going to need a detailed breakdown of how he's helping the NBA's bottom line before I agree it's bullshit that management routinely kidnaps him and hits him with hammers.

Basketball is a real sport, MMA is barely a step removed from pro wrestling.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

1st AD posted:

I'm not speaking to what Dana said, I'm speaking to what YOU said and

Like it's in the contract itself. You don't get paid on points until 200k+ buys. This is not speculation.

No no no no no no no

I'm saying that as part of the negotiation itself, you can't say that it's part of the contact itself that you will absolutely not get points as apposed to you won't get points unless you reach a certain amount of buys. The bullshit part is when Dana comes along and says absolutely no way we're giving you points as opposed to when you hit 200k you'll get them. One is being a complete oval office about it and the other is stating the contractual agreement that largely makes sense.

Yes I can read, why would i argue how the chart I said I read earlier works?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
are you retarded?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
In my opinion the UFC should pay both the guys that are good at fighting and the guys that are good at wearing fur coats and threatening people with steel chairs but since they're clearly not doing that in Mighty Mouse's case and also daring him to pack up and leave I think that he should figure out a way to move to Singapore and get Aoki-level money to murder everyone else in their flyweight division

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Best Friends posted:

I unironically felt that Rasheed Wallace should get paid more than Tim Duncan because I always enjoyed Rasheed's antics more, like the time he got ejected from a game for glaring at an official.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Marching Powder posted:

if miocic was getting paid so little he needed a day job then i don't begrudged mighty mouse angling for a fairer deal because post fight the ufc repossesses his furniture and fucks his wife

He's a regular professional firefighter/paramedic, and I don't think he does it because he has to, he does it because he likes it, likes having a career to fall back on, and they work around his schedule. A lot of MMA fighters are firefighters, since a job where you work 10 days a month and do nothing but lift weights at work is pretty agreeable for an athlete.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Veskit posted:

No no no no no no no

I'm saying that as part of the negotiation itself, you can't say that it's part of the contact itself that you will absolutely not get points as apposed to you won't get points unless you reach a certain amount of buys. The bullshit part is when Dana comes along and says absolutely no way we're giving you points as opposed to when you hit 200k you'll get them. One is being a complete oval office about it and the other is stating the contractual agreement that largely makes sense.

Yes I can read, why would i argue how the chart I said I read earlier works?

i've read this post several times and i have no clue what you are trying to say but im pretty sure it is stupid

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Wise Learned Man posted:

I unironically felt that Rasheed Wallace should get paid more than Tim Duncan because I always enjoyed Rasheed's antics more, like the time he got ejected from a game for glaring at an official.

I feel like it was that rear end in a top hat Joey Crawford that made that call. gently caress that ding dong right in the ear.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
never expect management to do what's right by the small mens if they don't draw. And don't expect them to put more into promotion for a guy who may be the best in the world at anything he's ever done if he's not able talk a fair amount of smack that gets people interested. This is the nature of the combat sports arena as we know it today.

To everybody comparing poo poo to the NBA remember the NBA has union. Fighters don't. if fighters want better treatment then they should organize and demand it as a collective unit.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

i've read this post several times and i have no clue what you are trying to say but im pretty sure it is stupid

While I am generally dumb as heck, I think even dumber Veskit is under the assumption that any and all people that fight on PPV get PPV points as part of their fight contract, so no way could Dana decide not to pay them out to Mighty Mouse. Except not everyone gets PPV points, DJ never has, and Dana said he wouldn't for Borg or TJ or whomever he fights next.

I think.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's not just that mm is kinda boring. Noone gives a gently caress about any of the weird little dudes he easily beats either. Dodson is kinda memorable but only because he's so repulsive.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Create weightclass for unreliable roid monster. Cool. Destroy weightclass because the champion is p4p best fighter and is easy to work with. Superb.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao @ anyone who doesn't completely blame UFC for the Mighty Mouse problem

Like, I get routinely hyped for people I don't care about solely because the UFC video and media teams are killer. Spend two MM fights hyping them through the roof and getting him + his opponents to talk a little poo poo and boom there you go.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I can only imagine that it's partly a self fulfilling prophecy - the UFC thinks flyweights won't sell well, so they don't spend the money on them, but then due to that they don't sell. They have one of most, if not the most, dominant fighters in mma history and they're farting his earning potential into the wind.

I'd think the popularity of Mayweather/Pacquaio should show people that smaller guys can sell too.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

lmao @ anyone who doesn't completely blame UFC for the Mighty Mouse problem

Like, I get routinely hyped for people I don't care about solely because the UFC video and media teams are killer. Spend two MM fights hyping them through the roof and getting him + his opponents to talk a little poo poo and boom there you go.

I sincerely wonder if he is a real dickhead behind the scenes. He's smart enuff.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They'll stuff top 5 Flyweights in the middle of the prelims while giving two 3-8 LHWs a co-main to gas out in after a minute and a half.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
remember when mighty mouse co-main'd for jon jones / osp and he destroyed an olympic gold medal wrestler in the clinch inside of one round with knees? then jon took a big poo poo? it's been over a year since then and mighty mouse has defended twice more and jones has spent the time bringing himself and the sport into disrepute but is coming back to a ppv point extravaganza while mighty mouse is being railroaded into fighting ray borg for his last shot at points and when he texts the bosses asking why they respond with 'whodis?'.

should have been a jockey.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
'People don't like flyweights because they can't finish each other'

*mighty mouse finishes 7 out of his last 9 fights*

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

attackmole posted:

'People don't like flyweights because they can't finish each other'

*mighty mouse finishes 7 out of his last 9 fights*

ppv star jon jones last finished a fight in early 2013 when he took out the highly touted chael sonnen

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I mostly don't like seeing creepy big headed muscle children run around with a full size ref next to them for scale, the only reason I care if they finish fights is it gets them out of there faster.

ice cream snakes
Dec 8, 2008

They should have an all flyweight card with a cage that's been reduced in size by 40% and Danny DeVito as a guest ref. Also the first three rows of the crowd should be children under 12.

When Dana comes in to put the belt on the champ he has to wear his shoes on his knees like Dorf.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Novum posted:

Create weightclass for unreliable roid monster. Cool. Destroy weightclass because the champion is p4p best fighter and is easy to work with. Superb.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Have Dana and Johnson fight for the right to PPV points.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

big money big clit posted:

Have Dana and Johnson fight for the right to PPV points.

I am ready to buy this ppv today

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

I mostly don't like seeing creepy big headed muscle children run around with a full size ref next to them for scale, the only reason I care if they finish fights is it gets them out of there faster.

thats ok keven but can you deny a mans ability to purchase more videogames

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

ppv star jon jones last finished a fight in early 2013 when he took out the highly touted chael sonnen

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

What time does the card start Saturday in the US?

• Locked thread