Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Randler posted:

Out of professional interest re: the tax forms she found. Would that 227k figure be based on accrual accounting or on cash accounting? Or does the US tax system not stipulate how a taxpayer has to calculate profit?

Nobody knows what number she found or is citing as "he made $226k in 2016". Quite frankly it could be any of several numbers on a US tax return meaning anything from gross receipts of his business to adjusted gross personal income after all deductions and is a meaningless figure. He could have easily grossed $226k in his business and taken home the $20k she assumed he was making after expenses and taxes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Nobody knows what number she found or is citing as "he made $226k in 2016". Quite frankly it could be any of several numbers on a US tax return meaning anything from gross receipts of his business to adjusted gross personal income after all deductions and is a meaningless figure. He could have easily grossed $226k in his business and taken home the $20k she assumed he was making after expenses and taxes.

Or she could be just as smart as he is, and not stupid simply because she is female and was lied to. She's a working adult, she's seen a tax form before.

The fact that "nobody knows" keeps defaulting to "so we can assume she was wrong" is the entire thing I'm trying to talk about here.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Seriously what sucks about her besides "was female and disagreed with a man"

How about acting on private information? It seems pretty clear her boyfriend did not explicitly give her the tax documents to read, from there it ethically makes no difference whether she cracked a safe to get to them or they were sitting in plain sight. It was an enormous breach of trust to read the documents. And even if she did make the mistake of reading the documents, the appropriate thing to do at that point is to pretend she did not (assuming there wasn't evidence of a child smuggling ring or weapons sales to Syria or whatever in there).

Doesn't make the boyfriend blameless in any of this, but it was a major violation of his privacy that led to her even being aware of the situation.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
My goodness what an awful lot of posts in the bad with money thread, I wonder if somebody did something especially bad wi-

Oh.

Oh no.

We're gonna need a bigger bird.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Then why the gently caress did you act like you knew what you were talking about? Do you see? Does anybody here loving see? Why did you assume that the wrongful person in a story you didn't read was the woman? Based on what?

I always said he was the worse of the two, but classism sets me off as much as sexism sets you off, apparently. The idea that you should own a house / own a new car / go on vacation / eat at restaurants and you should feel ashamed if you can't/don't is classist, and really pisses me off. People participating in and propagating that myth really pisses me off.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 6, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How about acting on private information? It seems pretty clear her boyfriend did not explicitly give her the tax documents to read, from there it ethically makes no difference whether she cracked a safe to get to them or they were sitting in plain sight. It was an enormous breach of trust to read the documents. And even if she did make the mistake of reading the documents, the appropriate thing to do at that point is to pretend she did not (assuming there wasn't evidence of a child smuggling ring or weapons sales to Syria or whatever in there).

Doesn't make the boyfriend blameless in any of this, but it was a major violation of his privacy that led to her even being aware of the situation.

Frauds get caught, man. Being stonewalled and lied to makes people suspicious. And again with the fanfiction. We don't know that she isn't pretend she did not. Talking to an anonymous forum about it doesn't mean she's done anything irl. And you know what internet forum posters do when a woman does write about discovering their SO's into child smuggling or weapons sales to Syria? They complain about the snooping.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I always said he was the worse of the two, but classism sets me off as much as sexism sets you off, apparently. The idea that you should own a house / own a new car / go on vacation / eat at restaurants and you should feel ashamed if you can't/don't is classist, and really pisses me off. People participating in and propagating that myth really pisses me off.

Me too, boyo, and yet I manage to be able to retain an awareness that women are people simultaneously.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's what set me off as well.

Had it been a dude posting about his gf, I assure you my reaction would have been the same (with the limited info we have). But na we're just a bunch of redpillerz in here rather than nerds that are obsessed with financial optimization and not falling for the stupid holes most idiot Americans fall into

That said, the guy is very likely commuting financial infidelity IF he's been taking advantage of his gf and the number is accurate (not being funneled back into the business, etc), and she should dump his rear end

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 7, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

Had it been a dude posting about his gf, I assure you my reaction would have been the same (with the limited info we have). But na we're just a bunch of redpillerz in here rather than nerds that are obsessed with financial optimization and not falling for the stupid holes most idiot Americans fall into

I've pointed out plenty of very specific examples of what was sexist about all y'all's bullshit, so don't even loving try that one.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Does anyone want some BWM? Or should we continue arguing over which immature deceitful person in a relationship is the worstest based on their genitalia?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6fma7p/how_to_tackle_my_personal_finance_situation_and/?st=j3m605cz&sh=ffb78319

quote:

I make approximately 80k a year. I have 6.5k in student loans (8% interest), 15k/18k in credit card debt (3 cards), 1 car loan (35K). My net pay is approximately (4500/month). My long term girlfriend lives in a different state about 500 miles from me and I visit her every month and that costs me about 200-400/month. I am 27, I have about 2k in savings, about 10k in retirement.
Right now, I need to buy a second car to commute to work and I want to pay off 90% of my credit card debt by 30 as well as my student loan debt. My monthly rent is 900/month. I would like to propose to my girlfriend in the next year or so too.
Any advice here on how I should tackle this situation. Should I take out a personal loan to try to consolidate my debt? What should i tackle first...my student loan or my credit cards?
Should I save up to buy my daily driver car (around 5000-6000 expected cost), then start paying debt back? Or should I get a loan for all of the above?

That's a decent income, and not a horrific amount of debt, but that car loan is pretty high, why not get rid of that & get something reliable instead of buying another car?

quote:

That car is a sports car that I don't want to daily drive because my daily commute is approx 75 miles round trip. I bought that car after graduation, it is my dream car, and I am not wanting or planning on selling it.

And later....

quote:

At the current rate of repayment, my student loans are expected to be paid off by 2020 I believe. I pay $235 a month.
Getting out of CC debt is # 1 priority to me. The engagement ring is second priority (I expect to spend about 6-8 grand on it).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh hey, it's that time of the week again where TB ruins a BWM thread.

:sigh:

Content: Bitcoin guy at work assembled a Skylake desktop PC last year. About a month or so ago, he 'pimped his rig' like it was from 2002 with LEDs and cathode tubes and poo poo.

Now this week, he's selling it to buy a new Ryzen rig just because AMD's stock price.

And considering all the Apple announcements, it's going to be hilarious to find out if he maxed his Apple CC again buying all the new poo poo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh hey, it's that time of the week again where TB ruins a BWM thread.

:sigh:

Aw poor baby. What you pricks never realize is that sexism ruins the whole world.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

KingSlime posted:

It does seem kind of suspicious that everyone's immediate reaction is that the woman is too dumb to understand the tax forms. There are like two lines on schedule C with gross receipts and profits and like 20 places all over everywhere (including the bottom of the page on the form with the gross receipts) that would essentially reflect net profits/real income.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Frauds get caught, man. Being stonewalled and lied to makes people suspicious. And again with the fanfiction. We don't know that she isn't pretend she did not. Talking to an anonymous forum about it doesn't mean she's done anything irl. And you know what internet forum posters do when a woman does write about discovering their SO's into child smuggling or weapons sales to Syria? They complain about the snooping.

I'm sorry that you don't seem to think that privacy is a legitimate concern? There was no justification for reading the tax returns in the first place (yes, even if they're sitting out), the "forget about them" was the suggestion since she had already crossed that ethical line.

April posted:

quote:

That car is a sports car that I don't want to daily drive because my daily commute is approx 75 miles round trip. I bought that car after graduation, it is my dream car, and I am not wanting or planning on selling it.

There are always candles.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 7, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I skimmed the post and formed a mental model that maximized my amusement. I suspect it was fair to neither party, and revealed unconscionable bias, but I had a good time.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm sorry that you don't seem to think that privacy is a legitimate concern? There was no justification for reading the tax returns in the first place, the "forget about them" was the suggestion since she had already crossed that ethical line.
Hahahha holy poo poo dude. Holy poo poo. Choke on fish guts, sea lion.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Droo posted:

It does seem kind of suspicious that everyone's immediate reaction is that the woman is too dumb to understand the tax forms. There are like two lines on schedule C with gross receipts and profits and like 20 places all over everywhere (including the bottom of the page on the form with the gross receipts) that would essentially reflect net profits/real income.

Point taken as it's certainly important to try and be aware of assumptions that we may have internalized, but in my experience plenty of people from both genders struggle with tax forms

My old boss had a hell of a time getting my tax forms squared away despite running multiple businesses, something that infuriated me to no end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Droo posted:

I have literally never seen a Schedule C, I figured they would be complicated. That's why I made sure to mention I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at.

Oh look, new BWM with more car stuff. I feel better about this one, though, because this guy is suffering for making his car a status symbol.

Honestly if I was a good person I would just feel bad for him for falling into the trap.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(Thank you, thread, for reminding me that I need to finish filing FBAR to avoid tens of thousands in BWM penalties. Worth my :10bux: right there.)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

My old boss had a hell of a time getting my tax forms squared away despite running multiple businesses, something that infuriated me to no end.

I don't understand. Based on TB's posts, I assume your boss was a woman?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

Kindly gently caress off.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

baquerd posted:

What? No, he was a dude. My point was that the assumption that someone may have parsed a tax form incorrectly is not inherently a sexist one, especially when said person is not involved in the running of the business.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Kindly gently caress off.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the derailing thread. If BFC tolerates this poo poo, there's no point in my being here.

For content, I have a wayward intern dead set on a Tesla S as they make $30 an hour for the summer.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

What? No, he was a dude. My point was that the assumption that someone may have parsed a tax form incorrectly is not inherently a sexist one, especially when said person is not involved in the running of the business.

I believe you're failing to pick up on a sickass burn.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Point taken as it's certainly important to try and be aware of assumptions that we may have internalized, but in my experience plenty of people from both genders struggle with tax forms

Something that comes up every year at my employer is fixing the tax paperwork on our employee stock purchase plan, since if you just use the numbers on the W2/1099 forms, you'll pay income tax twice on the discount. I mostly understand this now though I don't know why they can't just fix the drat forms.

If you own a mutual fund with international companies in a taxable account, you'll get a piece of paper mentioning you can take the foreign income tax credit, which only requires you to parse this 24 page document. Or you just find an example on the web and copy-paste.

There is a reason people to go to tax firms and accountants at tax time, and that has nothing to do with your sex and everything to do with confusing tax forms.

I seriously doubt I could parse a Schedule C and if someone said "how much money did this self-employed person actually take home, here's a stack of tax forms" I do not think I could tell you.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

I believe you' re failing to pick up on a sickass burn.

Clearly...

E: gently caress formatting on mobile!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 7, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mod is on vacay, the derails will play

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
In bad with employment/money via extension:

My former boss decided to fire my (competent and not drugfucked) former manager because "he's too expensive."

This is the same man who, with the last two managers that he promoted was a heroin junkie and a methhead, respectively.

The methhead also stole $200 in cash on his last day, of which as far I as know, my former boss passively accepted without pressing charges.

EDIT: And now the remaining workers are all refusing promotion, because they aren't stupid enough to wear a metaphorical bullseye on their backs.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

I seriously doubt I could parse a Schedule C and if someone said "how much money did this self-employed person actually take home, here's a stack of tax forms" I do not think I could tell you.

I don't know if your post is joking because of how you are jokingly referring to the foreign tax credit for mutual funds, but in case you are actually being serious here is a sample schedule C:

http://www.unclefed.com/TaxHelpArchives/2002/HTML/graphics/60031b01.gif

Do you really think that is some kind of impossible to interpret form? And that's assuming you even were looking at the schedule C to come up with the income number, which I think is unlikely in the first place.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

monster on a stick posted:

Something that comes up every year at my employer is fixing the tax paperwork on our employee stock purchase plan, since if you just use the numbers on the W2/1099 forms, you'll pay income tax twice on the discount. I mostly understand this now though I don't know why they can't just fix the drat forms.

If you own a mutual fund with international companies in a taxable account, you'll get a piece of paper mentioning you can take the foreign income tax credit, which only requires you to parse this 24 page document. Or you just find an example on the web and copy-paste.

There is a reason people to go to tax firms and accountants at tax time, and that has nothing to do with your sex and everything to do with confusing tax forms.

A Schedule C is one of the simpler forms out there.

Getting the information to put on it might be complicated, but it's literally just a list of income and expenses with a big Total box at the bottom. Line 31, "Net Profit (or Loss)." Idk how dumb you guys are assuming her to be, but she'd have to be pretty drat dumb.

April
Jul 3, 2006

A Schedule C is one of the simpler forms out there.

Getting the information to put on it might be complicated, but it's literally just a list of income and expenses with a big Total box at the bottom. Line 31, "Net Profit (or Loss)." Idk how dumb you guys are assuming her to be, but she'd have to be pretty drat dumb.

When did she say she specifically looked at a Schedule C? And why are we still bickering about this?

Look, I'm a woman, and I work in a very male-dominated industry, and I am well aware of how pervasive sexism is. But holy gently caress this derail is tedious, can we all just say that both parties were assholes in that situation and LET IT loving GO ALREADY?????

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I gotta say, it's pretty funny that lil miss snoopy golddigger's first reaction was "he should buy me half a car"

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zo posted:

I gotta say, it's pretty funny that lil miss snoopy golddigger's first reaction was "he should buy me half a car"

We can only hope that he complies to her demands entirely literally, and buys one of those trailers made out of the back chassis of a car.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

April posted:

When did she say she specifically looked at a Schedule C? And why are we still bickering about this?

Look, I'm a woman, and I work in a very male-dominated industry, and I am well aware of how pervasive sexism is. But holy gently caress this derail is tedious, can we all just say that both parties were assholes in that situation and LET IT loving GO ALREADY?????

Check TB's rap sheet and ask yourself, "Is this person posting in good faith?"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Zo posted:

3/10

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Check TB's rap sheet and ask yourself, "Is this person posting in good faith?"

I'm doing my best to stick to the post/topic and not the poster. It doesn't matter who started it, who is more right or wrong, etc. It's an argument that can not possibly be resolved because we don't have enough information about the situation, so it's pointless to argue it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Sic Semper Goon posted:

We can only hope that he complies to her demands entirely literally, and buys one of those trailers made out of the back chassis of a car.

Followed by her desire of him paying for half a vacation: just ship her off some place far away with no return ticket.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Today I learned it's BWL to imply that a woman has any culpability for anything

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

You have a bird in your avatar and a bird in your post and they cancel out one another :colbert: