Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

oldpainless posted:

My condolences

More like oldpeenless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

What's your name?
Greg
Craig?
No, Greg, with a g
Craigg?
:negative:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who won't loving listen when you're trying to tell them how to do something. I don't mind showing someone less computer savvy how to fix a problem on their computer, unless they're an rear end in a top hat who will not listen. "Okay, you click here, then click this. There you go, that's how you get to your email."

"It wasn't there before!"

"yes, but now it is. so from now on-"

"BUT IT WASN'T THERE BEFORE"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sociopastry posted:

People who won't loving listen when you're trying to tell them how to do something. I don't mind showing someone less computer savvy how to fix a problem on their computer, unless they're an rear end in a top hat who will not listen. "Okay, you click here, then click this. There you go, that's how you get to your email."

I hate telling people what to type in general. Multiple times I try and teach a student how to use linux and i'm like "type c d .." or whatever, and they are just like "type what?". Especially if it's a German student and I tell them to type / or -. Apparently they don't call slash or dashes those words so I'm just getting increasingly frustrated while they get increasingly confused. Even once I asked what they call those things they still freeze up when I start telling them to type something.

It also makes me go insane when I tell them to do something and they get so nervous they seemingly forget how to do it, even though I know they know how to do it. Like things as simple as "OK, now go to your home directory"....like come on. This is why I will never succeed in teaching, my impatience meter goes from 0 to 10 in like 2 seconds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

"OK see here are you listening?"
"Uh-huh!"
"These parts are now in these bins and all the parts on one shelf comprise one whole, OK?"
"Yeah yeah I know!"
"Now the bins are re-used so they may have some stickers on them with part names and numbers but as you can see they are of the variety that we haven't used in ten years. The actual product names and numbers are on stickers attached to the shelves, see here?"
"Yeah OK I see that."
"So this shelf has a sticker saying it's a 30 mm arse-warbler so if you need a 30 mm arse-warbler you just take one part from each bin on this shelf, OK?"
"Yeah yeah I know!" :rolleyes:
"OK I just wanted to make sure."
"This is wrong."
"What?"
"This sticker on this bin says it's ½" hexagonal double-screwed brass nipples but there's arse-warbler parts in it!"

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Sociopastry posted:

:classiclol:: "Tee hee, I'm so computer illiterate!"

:confused:: "Why are you so proud of that?"

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sic Semper Goon posted:

:classiclol:: "Tee hee, I'm so computer illiterate!"

:confused:: "Why are you so proud of that?"

Similarly, people who brag about being bad at math.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I've never gotten that, either. I'm not good at math and it haunts me every day. I don't like feeling like an idiot because it takes me twice as long to do simple problems. :smith: The numbers always jump around on me, so 32 is 23 or whatever. Takes me ages to do simple maths because of it. I always feel like the biggest idiot and get all flushed and flustered and it takes even longer and

it's just miserable.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sociopastry posted:

I've never gotten that, either. I'm not good at math and it haunts me every day. I don't like feeling like an idiot because it takes me twice as long to do simple problems. :smith: The numbers always jump around on me, so 32 is 23 or whatever. Takes me ages to do simple maths because of it. I always feel like the biggest idiot and get all flushed and flustered and it takes even longer and

it's just miserable.

Perhaps you're dyslexic?

Speaking of computers, sometimes my dad will ask me to do something on his computer for him. He'll watch over my shoulder as I go through the process, constantly telling me to slow down because he can't follow what I'm doing. Seriously dad, speaking from previous experience with you, even if I go at a snail's pace and explain to you every click I make and every letter I type you'll never remember what I did. Just sit back and be happy you don't have to pay a guy to fix your computer issues for you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

yo rear end is grass posted:

Perhaps you're dyslexic?

Maths dyslexia is an actual thing called dyscalculia. It's a total pain in the rear end if you consider how amazingly frequently people use maths in everyday life: keeping to schedules, estimating distance or volume, etc etc..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm certainly not the smartest person in my group of friends but I am politically savvy. It comes, in large part, because my job is entrenched in the political sphere.

So when a person asks me about a situation that has a complex answer, I want to scream when they try to rush me along. This goes double when they ask the same question later with slightly different phrasing.

If you had let me talk for less than 60 seconds without interrupting, you would know by now! The Middle East is fuckin' wild, you guys!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I used to get so annoyed when my mom would tell me to say thank you for something before I even had the chance to open my mouth. I WAS going to, now I just look like an ungrateful poo poo. Thank YOU, mom.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Okay awesome cool you're new to this! Well I won't show you the right way or even double check that you're doing it, I'll give you a list and assume you have no questions and not check to see if you're doing this right because if you aren't, animals are gonna DIE.

Also, someone set up so there is ONE general email for the animal rescue. But there should be at least four: one for animal surrender attempts, one for adoption questions, one for volunteer/foster questions, and one for general info. But NO, the director says we can only have ONE main one and then volunteers man the account and forward everything to other emails because THIS poo poo IS INEFFICIENT.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ugh we sleep with a fan on for white noise and the bath completely drowns out the fan lol

they've run the bath three times in the past hour, it's after midnight now and I'm sure they're not done with whatever the gently caress they do a dozen times a day in their bathroom so the anxiety from anticipation of loud noise alone is gonna keep me awake

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

The Snoo posted:

ugh we sleep with a fan on for white noise and the bath completely drowns out the fan lol

they've run the bath three times in the past hour, it's after midnight now and I'm sure they're not done with whatever the gently caress they do a dozen times a day in their bathroom so the anxiety from anticipation of loud noise alone is gonna keep me awake

?

(Sorry it's probably huge Imgur is absolute garbage. What am I supposed to use for image hosting now that it's poo poo?)

Oh and they're probably going to delete it because of "copyright." This is infuriating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Snoo posted:

Have you considered talking to them, seeing as how it seems to be ruining your life to some degree?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
You can just add a letter to the end of the url before the image extension to change the size and you will get an automagically resized image rather than what ever you uploaded.

(s)mall
(m)edium
(l)arge
(h)uge

eg.

https://i.imgur.com/0AaJudbh.jpg rather than https://i.imgur.com/0AaJudb.jpg

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maths dyslexia is an actual thing called dyscalculia. It's a total pain in the rear end if you consider how amazingly frequently people use maths in everyday life: keeping to schedules, estimating distance or volume, etc etc..

Suddenly a lot of my life makes sense.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sociopastry posted:

it's just miserable.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sociopastry posted:

Suddenly a lot of my life makes sense.

Jeez, you really shouldn't be feeling bad about a legit (as in not 'I need a Support Walrus!!') medical condition.

You shouldn't be feeling any worse about yourself than someone who can't read the menu because they forgot their glasses - especially as in your case, there are no glasses available - or being too short to reach the top shelf of the stationery cupboard.

'Tee-hee, I am bad with computers' is just wilful stupidity. In fact, I would say that if you are under 35, you must have spent your entire life actively trying to avoid learning a simple life skill.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Doing something kind on my behalf.

Way to obligate me.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Nostradingus posted:

Not being able to do simple equations on the fly is loving humiliating. I'm ashamed of it and always have been. Things are easier with calculators on phones but I shouldn't need a calculator in the first place.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

The worst part is if you ever try to teach them some basic thing they claim they "just don't get", they'll keep stopping you every 2 words to say "this is sooo haaaard i told you i just don't get it". No poo poo you don't, you aren't even trying. It's not even complex math, I had to struggle with one of my students once who I had to walk through how to solve something like 64/x=8, solve for x and their eyes would just glaze over no matter how simplistic you made it. Like I'd say "what is 64 divided by 8" and they'd answer correctly, but if I said "what number do I have to divide 64 by to get it to equal 8" they were just utterly lost. And these were college students.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It also makes me go insane when I tell them to do something and they get so nervous they seemingly forget how to do it, even though I know they know how to do it. Like things as simple as "OK, now go to your home directory"....like come on. This is why I will never succeed in teaching, my impatience meter goes from 0 to 10 in like 2 seconds.

But.. but... the computer might explode!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bean_shadow posted:

Not being able to do simple equations on the fly is loving humiliating. I'm ashamed of it and always have been. Things are easier with calculators on phones but I shouldn't need a calculator in the first place.

I think one of the big problems you're having is that the way we are taught to do arithmetic (see everything laid out in columns, do every calculation one column at a time starting from least significant digit, carry the 1, etc.) is a terrible way to do arithmetic in your head. And because arithmetic is so simple (relative to other branches of mathematics; not trying to rub salt in anyone's wounds here), there's no real reason to do it on paper unless you're dealing with just enormous numbers (which you can use a calculator for).

There are a ton of techniques for mental math, and they take practice the same way we needed to practice pencil & paper addition when we were kids. They tend to be specific to the type of problem being done. One technique that's handy in everyday life is to adjust the numbers so that you're working with tens. For example, 48 + 17. 48 is close to 50, so to get there you do 48+2. That 2 had to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the 17, so 17-2 is 15. You now have 50 + 15, which is 65.

That's a technique that is way easier to do in your head compared to: "8 + 7 = 15, so 5 for the 1s digit, carry the 1 into the 10s digit, so now we have 4 + 1 + 1 for the 10s digit, which is 6.. wait what did I have for the 1s digit again?" It still takes practice to get comfortable and fast with, again like any maths, but at least you don't have to visualize a piece of graph paper to do it. And you can get fast, you don't have to think out all the steps in long-form like I did in my example. I don't spend any time practicing that technique and for that example my thoughts are basically: "48 and 17, 48 so 50... 17 so 15... plus 50 is 65." The more practice, the more of that you get to "skip" because you internalize the intermediate steps and your brain just does them without you thinking about it consciously.

I can't emphasize just how BAD traditional education is when it comes to training our brains to actually do math. That thing in our skulls is an unfathomably powerful computer and maths education has effectively decided to use it as a space heater. But if you're down on yourself for this, go look up some stuff on the internet about mental math techniques, pick one and practice it. Start with things that you can apply regularly in your life, stuff like making change or calculating tips at a restaurant, so you can practice it without needing to go "Okay it's Math Time now." Start with exactly one technique, and use it for a while.

Note: I have no idea how what I just said applies to people with dyscalculia; skimming the article it seems like the techniques wouldn't help with the more severe cases, since that seems to involve a more fundamental problem conceptualizing numbers in general.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Back in college, everytime I paraphrased some new topic at someone smarter than me to make sure I got it (like "this is just like x only with y to consider as well, right?" - mostly math stuff) those smartass nerds would plainly say NO when they really meant "yeah, but you really gotta watch these rare cases". poo poo like that made me hate engineering, everyone was always out to prove THEY were the only one who got it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Che Delilas posted:

One technique that's handy in everyday life is to adjust the numbers so that you're working with tens. For example, 48 + 17. 48 is close to 50, so to get there you do 48+2. That 2 had to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the 17, so 17-2 is 15. You now have 50 + 15, which is 65.

That's a technique that is way easier to do in your head compared to: "8 + 7 = 15, so 5 for the 1s digit, carry the 1 into the 10s digit, so now we have 4 + 1 + 1 for the 10s digit, which is 6.. wait what did I have for the 1s digit again?" It still takes practice to get comfortable and fast with, again like any maths, but at least you don't have to visualize a piece of graph paper to do it. And you can get fast, you don't have to think out all the steps in long-form like I did in my example. I don't spend any time practicing that technique and for that example my thoughts are basically: "48 and 17, 48 so 50... 17 so 15... plus 50 is 65." The more practice, the more of that you get to "skip" because you internalize the intermediate steps and your brain just does them without you thinking about it consciously.

I don't see how your way is any easier. If I want to add 48 and 17 I just think "8 and 7 is 15, 40 and 10 is 50, 50 and 15 is 65." Seems like whichever you've practised is going to be the easier option, and since my way's basically the same as how you do it on paper, why bother learning the other way for when you want to do it in your head? I'm certainly not visualising a piece of paper or anything like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When the police arrest me in the middle of a succulent Chinese meal and go for my penis.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I don't see how your way is any easier. If I want to add 48 and 17 I just think "8 and 7 is 15, 40 and 10 is 50, 50 and 15 is 65." Seems like whichever you've practised is going to be the easier option, and since my way's basically the same as how you do it on paper, why bother learning the other way for when you want to do it in your head? I'm certainly not visualising a piece of paper or anything like that.

I agree with Tiggum for once. For stuff like that it's something that's over in like 1, 2 seconds top in your head anyway, trying to change the way you do it is pointless and will probably just make it take longer. Find the way that works for you and stick to it, there's no one right/most efficient way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just do simple math on the blotter because that's what it's there for and it's usually a bit faster than doing it in my head and a lot faster than using a calculator. (At work I mean but who needs to do math outside of work?)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I agree with Tiggum for once. For stuff like that it's something that's over in like 1, 2 seconds top in your head anyway, trying to change the way you do it is pointless and will probably just make it take longer. Find the way that works for you and stick to it, there's no one right/most efficient way.

Well sure, if that way works for you then that's great, but I was responding to the people who expressed frustration at being unable to do simple mental calculations. If all you know is the one way you're taught in school, and that way doesn't work for you in the situations you need it to, that's a problem and I provided an example of one of many alternatives. You shouldn't change the way you do it if you are content with the speed and accuracy of your own method.

My bigger point was that there are techniques that aren't generally taught in school, and those techniques take practice (and knowing that they exist at all to begin with).

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

spog posted:

Jeez, you really shouldn't be feeling bad about a legit (as in not 'I need a Support Walrus!!') medical condition.

You shouldn't be feeling any worse about yourself than someone who can't read the menu because they forgot their glasses - especially as in your case, there are no glasses available - or being too short to reach the top shelf of the stationery cupboard.

'Tee-hee, I am bad with computers' is just wilful stupidity. In fact, I would say that if you are under 35, you must have spent your entire life actively trying to avoid learning a simple life skill.

See, I never even knew that was a thing. I just thought I was stupid because that's how my teachers acted, as I was growing up. "You read so high above your grade, you're so smart, why are you bad at math, you're just not trying hard enough"

American education~

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

spog posted:

I would say that if you are under 35, you must have spent your entire life actively trying to avoid learning a simple life skill.

Or, I mean, be 15% of all Americans, 25% of them in any southern state. http://overflow.solutions/demographic-data/what-percentage-of-american-homes-have-a-computer/

My Obnoxious thing today is when you're having a discussion and you disagree with a statement, or go "huh, I'd like to read that article, because [x] seems p unlikely", or whatever, and they go "WAY TO ATTACK ME AND NOT ADD TO THE DISCUSSION!!!"
(He says, as he corrects someone, and realizes that maybe he is just too argumentative in general). :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grown women who seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Disney movies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Grown women people who seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Disney movies.

Guys do this too, I have firsthand experience. I know a guy who has thousands of dollars worth of the collectible disney pins and a bunch of figurines that at least in one case cost like 400 dollars a piece and goes with his wife to disney world practically every weekend. I went to disney with them once and it was a really weird experience with them suddenly sprinting off randomly to chase down an employee to trade pins with them and when they weren't doing that they were trying to tell me how cool it was that there are "hidden mickeys" all around etc.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Bogan King posted:

You can just add a letter to the end of the url before the image extension to change the size and you will get an automagically resized image rather than what ever you uploaded.

(s)mall
(m)edium
(l)arge
(h)uge

eg.

https://i.imgur.com/0AaJudbh.jpg rather than https://i.imgur.com/0AaJudb.jpg

I meant where can I host stuff in general that isn't imgur?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's wrong with imgur now?

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
the wrong kind of people also use it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

What's wrong with imgur now?

It's like VLC Player, there's nothing wrong with it and there is literally no alternative that comes even close, but goons gotta goon.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

the wrong kind of people also use it.

Yeah. Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's like VLC Player, there's nothing wrong with it and there is literally no alternative that comes even close, but goons gotta goon.

Yeah god forbid we use the thing that is the most reliable and works the most with our forums software, it makes us so much better to use retarded things like tinypic for no logical reason.

• Locked thread