Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tullius
Dec 23, 2015

OperaMouse posted:

FlorryWorry did a stream on it a while ago using his standard tactics: loans, mercs, keep the coalition in check by eliminating opponents of a single religion first.

From India jump to Africa, then Mamluks, then Venice through Cyprus.

Never thought of doing this. Always tried snaking through persia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Tullius posted:

Never thought of doing this. Always tried snaking through persia

Added benefit is that many institutions spread in the opposite direction: Europe, Venice, Cyprus, Alexandria, Red Sea coast.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

toasterwarrior posted:

Since the maximum anti-privateer rating seems to be limited to 99%, does that mean a nation like Portugal is never going to be able to experience prosperity in its home states since the Berbers can inflict a single point of devastation and ruin everything with a raid?

No. As long as you have any number of ships hunting pirates the AI will never raid you. At least I've never had it happen. The pirate percentage only seems to apply to actual privateering.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Note to self: Always check if the peace deal you are proposing will trigger a coalition.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Do you have any allies you can sell out? :v:

I believe you can still exploit defensive coalition wars by giving up allied land instead of your own.

I still remember the Italy game where I allied with England like 4 months before a coalition war was declared against me, and settled it, after a year of me picking easy battles to win, by forcing England to cede a ton of land to Scotland. Thanks, buddy!

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 5, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is what I did to get the Straight Talk achievement as Hormuz. No one touched me all game, I just rampaged about the middle east at will until I had all the required ideas and policies unlocked. I had thought about forming Arabia but the Ottomans were super swole so I decided to wait and I figure I can do that when I do the achievement as Najd or something (where I will also chose to become a Tributary of Ming until I am tired of paying or am sufficiently strong enough).

edit: Speaking of that, the description for "Jihad" is not very specific and the wiki is also kinda vague - can subjects own some of these Sunni provinces?
"As Najd, own 500 Sunni provinces." / "Own 500 provinces with Sunni religion"

From what I remember it's not 500 Sunni provinces but own 500 or more provinces and have all of them be of Sunni faith. So it wont trigger if you own 500 Sunni and 1 Hindu province until you convert that last province.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Going for Auld Alliance reversed. I temporarily allied France after I curb stomped England. Probably a mistake but oh well. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions, I am playing on VHard. My current plan is to finish of England, build up a huge navy and let France land small amounts of troops that I can stack whipe until they are broke so I can then do my land invasion, and then slowly shrink them enough so I can vassalize them.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jackson Taus posted:

Has anyone been playing the new MEIOU & Taxes beta? Is there an easy way to learn it? I put in a couple hours into it yesterday and feel like I understand some of the basics, but I learned CK2, EU3, and V2 with Goon LPs back in the day. Is there anything similar for the new MEIOU?

this is a pretty in depth review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r08rOmc3A8

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Too Poetic posted:

Going for Auld Alliance reversed. I temporarily allied France after I curb stomped England. Probably a mistake but oh well. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions, I am playing on VHard. My current plan is to finish of England, build up a huge navy and let France land small amounts of troops that I can stack whipe until they are broke so I can then do my land invasion, and then slowly shrink them enough so I can vassalize them.

If you're not playing with the broken diplo patch you can probably ally the Iberians or Austria and let them do the heavy lifting. It doesn't matter if they peace out early as long as they mess up France's manpower enough.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

If you're not playing with the broken diplo patch you can probably ally the Iberians or Austria and let them do the heavy lifting. It doesn't matter if they peace out early as long as they mess up France's manpower enough.
I am playing on that patch not that it matters. Overcoming -20 reasons just for very hard to ally for a country stronger than you is pretty hard, they have to go friendly in order for an alliance to be possible. Plus the Iberians just got destroyed by France in a war of agression a long with Burgundy. France be scary.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 6, 2017

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Too Poetic posted:

What map mod are you using?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Too Poetic posted:

i went cornwall > normandy > paris + champagne and then hogwild on france with castile + burgundy

e: oh i don't play on hard though

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Too Poetic posted:

I am playing on that patch not that it matters. Overcoming -20 reasons just for very hard to ally for a country stronger than you is pretty hard, they have to go friendly in order for an alliance to be possible. Plus the Iberians just got destroyed by France in a war of agression a long with Burgundy. France be scary.

Should still be possible with Rivalry, Diplo Friendly indicator + Royal marriage, if you don't have diplo or influence ideas those are good too for the dip rep.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ever since sailors were added, I've ceased to understand naval combat.

I can make a fleet of 50 heavies, 30 lights, and 50 transports with an admiral and fight a fleet half that size with an admiral of roughly the same caliber, and lose 20 of my heavies and retreat. Their morale starts at 7 out of 7 while mine will be 7 out of 5. Our naval engagement size is the same. They don't have any navy ideas and I don't have any weird events going on. Its been like this for a long time. Why is that happening? And why is my morale never starting out maxed?

My naval tradition is 100 too, because I have a huge amount of light ships protecting trade.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 6, 2017

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

What map mod are you using?
Theatrum Orbis Terrarum + Dark Water addon.

Tahirovic posted:

Should still be possible with Rivalry, Diplo Friendly indicator + Royal marriage, if you don't have diplo or influence ideas those are good too for the dip rep.
And there is the problem. 99% of AI nations are neutral. It's rare that they will switch to friendly. To get Spain I need 32 more, I can still hire a statesmen, royal marriage may be doable. I already have the +2 from Influence.

I think I'm just going to have to build up a powerbase elsewhere since I already have killed England.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 6, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

I can make a fleet of 50 heavies, 30 lights, and 50 transports with an admiral and fight a fleet half that size with an admiral of roughly the same caliber, and lose 20 of my heavies and retreat. Their morale starts at 7 out of 7 while mine will be 7 out of 5. Our naval engagement size is the same. They don't have any navy ideas and I don't have any weird events going on. Its been like this for a long time. Why is that happening? And why is my morale never starting out maxed?

My naval tradition is 100 too, because I have a huge amount of light ships protecting trade.

Naval combat width is a thing, and I've found that mixing light ships with heavy ships results in more light ships getting deployed; I think that is because heavies have 3x the width and the game is trying to spread hull damage across as many ships as possible. But obviously light ships are bad at combat and the whole fleet takes morale damage, so you lose the battle

If their naval morale is 7 while yours is 5 then they probably have a bunch of naval bonuses, also

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't send light ships into combat if you can avoid it, and don't stack all of your heavy ships into one fleet because only 10 or so will actually engage

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Eej posted:

iirc if you plop your capital on an island you can ignore penalties for not having enough tributaries bordering you for whatever reason

What happens if you plop your capital in Japan and annex all the nations there?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TTBF posted:

What happens if you plop your capital in Japan and annex all the nations there?

that works too

the penalty for having non-tributaries applies to nations that have a land connection to your capital, so any island is fine

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

QuarkJets posted:

Don't send light ships into combat if you can avoid it, and don't stack all of your heavy ships into one fleet because only 10 or so will actually engage

Yeah, it seems that all naval width did was introduce the extremely irritating Norias , what I consider the bane of land combat.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

that works too

the penalty for having non-tributaries applies to nations that have a land connection to your capital, so any island is fine

Alright, just wanted to make sure it didn't have the same weird "is an island" definition that Institutions do.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
New dev diary. Short one because it's a national holiday, but the gist is: new tradition choices for custom nations to keep it up to date with some things added in the last few patches, and :siren: new cheevos :siren: :

code:
Dovmont's Own: Starting as Pskov, have 100 standing Streltsy units

Redecorating: Starting as an Orthodox Nation, Consecrate Metropolitan in Roma

Breaking the Yoke - As Ryazan, own Saratov, Crimea and Kazan while being independent

Back in Control: Form Yuan and be the only nation holding land in China.

Mass Production: Starting as Odoyev, own one of every manufactury

Relentless Push East: Starting as a Russian nation, By 1600 own the East Siberian Coastline.

Laughingstock: Own the provinces of Haha, Hehe and Lolland.				

Lessons of Hemmingstedt: As Dithmarschen, hold the provinces of Sjaelland and Holland while Denmark does not exist.

It's All Greek To Me: Form Greece and own and have cores on Zeta, Thatta, Lamba, and Roh.

The 52 Garhs: As Garwhal own and maintain 52 forts without going into debt

Allyn fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 7, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Node posted:

Is it possible that your ships are outdated or you don't have naval maintenance turned up?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm doing Dithmarschen right now and i would have that chievie.........

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

oddium posted:

i'm doing Dithmarschen right now and i would have that chievie.........

Save it before 1821 and let it run for a day after the patch hits, I imagine that'll give it to you. Sure the save will break a little but not in any way that gives Denmark land I don't think

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dangit, I'm just about to pull the trigger and start breaking down Ming to form Yuan but now there's gonna be an achievement for it? Boo-urns.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Allyn posted:

Save it before 1821 and let it run for a day after the patch hits, I imagine that'll give it to you. Sure the save will break a little but not in any way that gives Denmark land I don't think

or just SAM it

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Too Poetic posted:

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum + Dark Water addon.
And there is the problem. 99% of AI nations are neutral. It's rare that they will switch to friendly. To get Spain I need 32 more, I can still hire a statesmen, royal marriage may be doable. I already have the +2 from Influence.

I think I'm just going to have to build up a powerbase elsewhere since I already have killed England.

Nice, thanks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That laughinstock cheevo :allears:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mountaineer posted:

Is it possible that your ships are outdated or you don't have naval maintenance turned up?

Nope, I've checked everything. The AI I was battling this time was France, who had equal tech, an equal admiral, and equal pretty much everything else. France doesn't get any events that makes their navy better, I'm pretty sure. The only thing I couldn't check was maybe he could have had a +10% naval morale advisor, but how would that explain me starting at 5 and France starting at 7? It makes no sense.

Allyn posted:

Laughingstock: Own the provinces of Haha, Hehe and Lolland.

I knew this was going to happen some day. I knew it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Can't you hover over the morale number to see everything that's affecting it? Or is that only in land battles?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

These achievements are great, right up my alley!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I feel so bad at this game when I see people ponder over the specifics of combat mechanics, naval or ground. All I know is that more mans (or ships) = better, more stars on the general = more better, and more tech = betterer, and that defending is better than attacking (unless they're sieging your fort).

Having more mans, stars, and tech than the enemy means you win, except sometimes when it doesn't. I'm a strategic goddamn genius. :confuoot:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Geisladisk posted:

I feel so bad at this game when I see people ponder over the specifics of combat mechanics, naval or ground. All I know is that more mans (or ships) = better, more stars on the general = more better, and more tech = betterer, and that defending is better than attacking (unless they're sieging your fort).

Having more mans, stars, and tech than the enemy means you win, except sometimes when it doesn't. I'm a strategic goddamn genius. :confuoot:

More ships isn't always better. I forget the specifics but it's something like once you have 20 capital ships you don't get any benefit from adding more.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

skasion posted:

More ships isn't always better. I forget the specifics but it's something like once you have 20 capital ships you don't get any benefit from adding more.

That's the kinda thing that frustrates me with Paradox games. There's so much behind the scenes poo poo that is in no way communicated in-game, but massively affects gameplay.

So if I have two separate fleets of 20ish, do they fight at the same time, or is there just a cap on 20 ships in a combat?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Geisladisk posted:

That's the kinda thing that frustrates me with Paradox games. There's so much behind the scenes poo poo that is in no way communicated in-game, but massively affects gameplay.

So if I have two separate fleets of 20ish, do they fight at the same time, or is there just a cap on 20 ships in a combat?

So there's naval engagement width. It has a base of 25. It's affected by other things but gently caress if I can find any comprehensive documentation on what. Heavy ships take up 3 width, everything else takes up 1. Anything that doesn't fit into this width is still taking morale damage, but is not actively attacking enemy ships. It is just dead weight.

As with land battles, the best way to crush enemy navies is to have two forces, each filling the maximum combat width available. Once the first force is engaged with the enemy, move the second force in, and once it arrives, have the first force retreat.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Also maneuver pips increase naval width so I guess it's more important in admirals if you have a huge fuckoff fleet. (I'm assuming flanking range isn't a thing in naval battles... it's not really clear how they work)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

skasion posted:

So there's naval engagement width. It has a base of 25. It's affected by other things but gently caress if I can find any comprehensive documentation on what. Heavy ships take up 3 width, everything else takes up 1. Anything that doesn't fit into this width is still taking morale damage, but is not actively attacking enemy ships. It is just dead weight.

As with land battles, the best way to crush enemy navies is to have two forces, each filling the maximum combat width available. Once the first force is engaged with the enemy, move the second force in, and once it arrives, have the first force retreat.

Well, that made me feel very silly for my last game when I proudly and confidently dragged around a navy stack with 100 heavy ships plus 200 galleys

Im with the poster above: I get that +numbers = better, and anything beyond that is way over my head. And because of that I suck at combat

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Node posted:

Nope, I've checked everything. The AI I was battling this time was France, who had equal tech, an equal admiral, and equal pretty much everything else. France doesn't get any events that makes their navy better, I'm pretty sure. The only thing I couldn't check was maybe he could have had a +10% naval morale advisor, but how would that explain me starting at 5 and France starting at 7? It makes no sense.

naval tradition difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

naval tradition difference?

Node posted:

<snip>
(from farther up the page)

Allyn posted:

New dev diary. Short one because it's a national holiday, but the gist is: new tradition choices for custom nations to keep it up to date with some things added in the last few patches, and :siren: new cheevos :siren: :
I'm glad they are continuing to revisit and upgrade the Nation Designer.

• Locked thread