Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Wrong souls game m8, but a legit point that needs to be seen in the BB thread.

eh all the soulsborne threads are collectively the from soft mega thread

overall they are better off for it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Agreed it's nice having several threads in which to post that DS2 is bad

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Gologle posted:

The above post is correct. Fire Salamanders were just the worst bullshit.

Fire salamanders are the reason I don't feel even a little bad about every character having poison arrows in DS2.

KingSlime posted:

I thought it was idiotic bullshit by a team who just doesnt give a gently caress anymore but someone told me you can release a nearby monster that will wreck their poo poo

It doesn't work as well as you might like, they don't aggro onto each other that automatically or anything. At that point you might as well just run past them. Which for me is the biggest red flag, when fighting things is so unfun that running past them is more enjoyable.

hampig fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 7, 2017

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

feelix posted:

Agreed it's nice having several threads in which to post that DS2 is bad

I played through DS2 again very recently and I still think it gets a much worse rap than it deserves

hampig posted:

Fire salamanders

nevermind ds2 fuckin sucks :mad:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

hampig posted:

It doesn't work as well as you might like, they don't aggro onto each other that automatically or anything. At that point you might as well just run past them. Which for me is the biggest red flag, when fighting things is so unfun that running past them is more enjoyable.

That describes the entirety of Irithyll. Between that and the 100% chance of invasions it's a huge chore to maneuver through that dump. That area immediately after Pontiff is the DS3 fight club I get it (for non PvPers now would be a good time to de-ember, play in offline mode, or carry around some sunbro bodyguards), I just want to get to the drat chapel and not fight any more scythe ghosts who also vomit ghosts and have a 5-hit combo, or the fire guys who will chain-erupt the ground underneath you. Seriously Irithyll monsters just gently caress off for like 5 seconds.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought the Boreal Knights were really cool. The game puts you up against Boreal Knights and you think they're the toughest enemies ever, then that cottage shows up with the three Black Knights to remind you who the real OG knights were. Cool stuff.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

No Wave posted:

I thought the Boreal Knights were really cool. The game puts you up against Boreal Knights and you think they're the toughest enemies ever, then that cottage shows up with the three Black Knights to remind you who the real OG knights were. Cool stuff.

You mean the silver knights forlornly staring at the titties of a bygone age?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

No Wave posted:

Yeah Irithyll is one of my favourite areas but I can see it being annoying if you only use weapons with bad poise damage and no hyperarmor. The jailer room is one of the places I had in mind because it's not hard, it's just tedious.

DS1 post-Lordvessel is still the worst offender though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's fun because boreal knights are fair hard, unlike those ninja skeletons near the lake ballista who break the rules of gravity that every other enemy teaches you to obey.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pontiff Knights have zero poise so any weapon will stagger them. They are a case where unrelenting offense is better than defense since its easy to just chain stun them to death. If you try to play defensively they can catch your rolls a lot or break your shield with combos.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No Wave posted:

The Black/Silver Knights have always been very very easy to kill though? Anor Londo in DS1 makes you fight your way through a small army of them to teach you the importance and absolute cheese that is parry/riposte. By the time players have dealt with Smough/Ornstien most players just roll their eyes at the sight of Knights.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Pontiff Knights have zero poise so any weapon will stagger them. They are a case where unrelenting offense is better than defense since its easy to just chain stun them to death. If you try to play defensively they can catch your rolls a lot or break your shield with combos.

Yeah the issue as usual is being spammed by multiples allowed to attack through eachother (Which is also where Black knights, silver knights, etc, are at their "toughest"). Or, in those pyromancers case, being allowed to wallhax you with no line of sight :sigh:

Finally slogging through that place my first run through was 90% doing my damnedest to ensure the casters never loving saw me as long as possible. Just so I wasn't having to deal with them casting spells at me through walls on top of everything else. I'm having some wishful thinking that this has been changed so they can't do that since I've last played, but I suspect not.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

And Tyler Too! posted:

That describes the entirety of Irithyll.
pontiff knights and fire witches are very fun though

hampig posted:

Yeah Irithyll is one of my favourite areas but I can see it being annoying if you only use weapons with bad poise damage and no hyperarmor. The jailer room is one of the places I had in mind because it's not hard, it's just tedious.
"room with a fuckton of jailers" is also fine once you get over your fear of them and realize that their only attack which does real damage and can kill you is slow as gently caress so you can go aggro on them as long as you're thinking and managing space well

it's a fun encounter because one hit will kill you, and there's a bunch of them, but their actual attack pattern is very easy individually so if you're delibrate with when you swing they'll never get a chance to attack

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 7, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

The Black/Silver Knights have always been very very easy to kill though? Anor Londo in DS1 makes you fight your way through a small army of them to teach you the importance and absolute cheese that is parry/riposte. By the time players have dealt with Smough/Ornstien most players just roll their eyes at the sight of Knights.
Yeah. I bet there are a lot of things that I find really easy that you don't, though. Blah blah blah.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 7, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

Yeah. I bet there are a lot of things that I find really easy that you don't, though. Blah blah blah.

"I killed Artorious on the first try! I'm clearly unstoppable now!"
*Dies 5 times in a row to a bog standard silver knight*
"Whyyyyy!?"

Realtalk though, something about my reflexes just always forgets forever that enemies can attack through eachother, or through scenery. ESPECIALLY if I'm above them. "Well, clearly I'm safe for the momen- Oh no, my foot by way of up through the pavement. My greatest weakness"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 7, 2017

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

"I killed Artorious on the first try! I'm clearly unstoppable now!"
*Dies 5 times in a row to a bog standard silver knight*
"Whyyyyy!?"

Realtalk though, something about my reflexes just always forgets forever that enemies can attack through eachother, or through scenery. ESPECIALLY if I'm above them. "Well, clearly I'm safe for the momen- Oh no, my foot by way of up through the pavement. My greatest weakness"

I learned this the hard way when I thought I could snipe the Winged Knight in Lothric walls from the safety of a nearby rafter. It turns out his halberd is just long enough to clip through it and hit me.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Giants in dark souls 2 were loving garbage too.
Mostly I have issues with enemies that have a lot of hp and are littered all over the place. Vikings take like 3 to 4 backstabs to die sometimes, and there's so many of them.

I love the area where there's a bunch of Followers. If you get bogged down you will die, but you can still get through it decently by being aggressive and using the terrain in your favor. It's much better than the wolf ambushes and the way they fight together is awesome, with close range guys, mid range spitting fire at you and javelin throwers you need to keep an eye on or a tree in the way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://i.imgur.com/3r603ZB.gifv

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've never actually fought those guys either, I just run to the spot where the ice breaks

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I'm the bloodstain behind the lizard.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've been shitposting in these DS threads for about three years now and just fought Artorias for the first time, actually

I think his imitators were all more fun to fight, although the atmosphere and leadup to it were definitely top notch. But then to be honest I did a really sloppy job of the fight and I had a +14 weapon so, eh.

Man remember when everything wasn't a marathon fight with five different phases to learn though? good poo poo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Man remember when everything wasn't a marathon fight with five different phases to learn though? good poo poo.

You imbecile, you loving moron.

( :agreed: )

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

The most consistently dangerous enemy was the torch hollows in the Depths of DS1. That charging torch spam attack always caught me off guard, did tons of damage, and would stagger you even in full Havel gear.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
I'm always like 'Aha, take that, just killed everything in the Asylum V.2 without dying, got my slab, i'm outta here' and then the torch hollows get me on the way out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Zombie Guy posted:

The most consistently dangerous enemy was the torch hollows in the Depths of DS1. That charging torch spam attack always caught me off guard, did tons of damage, and would stagger you even in full Havel gear.

Weapon art of the Follower's Torch should of just had you flail wildly like they do.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I bet a good chunk of the Armor in the Souls Series was based off of Indo-Hellenic sets:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No WAY :aaa:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

...and then get double-teamed by that bastard and his cousin.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Shannow posted:

I've spent the last few days being an absolute arsehole invading people with the millwood greatbow and obscuring ring on and having the most fun ever.
Corvian settlement is an absoluite dream spot for loving with people, if you stand on the second bridge below where the wolverine bastard is clinging on, you have a great vantage point over a chokepoint right next to the cliff. Even if you miss the shot the earthquake is enough to launch a host and 2 blue phantoms into the abyss. I'm in love.

Thank you, kind skeleton. That was absolutely the most fun I've had invading in souls.

Also hilarious: silvercat ring plunge attacks from the bridge, sunlight spears from near point blank range.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

double nine posted:

...and then get double-teamed by that bastard and his cousin.

Yeah, that didn't seem to do very much damage :\

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

This was the first thing I did when seeing them down there, and of course was immediately murdered by the other one hiding in the cave. It took me maybe ten tries after that to pull off a successful plunge attack again. If I wasn't lucky the first time, I probably would have moved on and assumed I couldn't do it after the second or third attempt.

After combing the area for treasure, I spent a ridiculously long amount of time repeatedly dying trying to get past the last lizard underneath, only to finally be successful and pop out back at the forest location where you pick up the fire longsword. :eng99:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Did scholar of the first sin fix the stupid 30fps weapon durability bug?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
yeah

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Neat.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Walrus Pete posted:

I played through DS2 again very recently and I still think it gets a much worse rap than it deserves

I did too and I both agree and disagree. People are really bad at articulating what it is that is ruining ds2 for them because it's under the hood poo poo like frame data and hit boxes so they get caught up on dumb poo poo like life gems and too many knights

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dark souls 2 is the worst soulsborne game, but that's like picking out the worst harlem globetrotter. ds2 at its worst, fighting fire salamanders that spin like tops or infinite-stamina mace-wielding drakekeeper knights, is still better than 95% of games. thank you for your understanding in this matter

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i haven't played ds2, but i've seen a few lps. really the only thing that bugs me about it is that it's not as believable as a real and contiguous world the way the other games are. its just a bit too disjointed, the designs between areas too different from each other, and the areas themselves just not really feeling like places people ever lived. i think it just kinda misses on that whole "world in crisis" feel the other games do so well. but it still looks fun to play. it's not bad, it's just not the best.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People complaining about hitboxes in DS2 are just looking for something to complain about, that poo poo's in every Souls game.

The lack of interconnectivity in the world is definitely a valid point though, and a thing a lot of people disliked. DS2 is way more "video game-like" in this respect than DS1. I feel like at least they have some really cool and pretty environments, but I still prefer the way DS1 was structured.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

THE IRON KEEP ELEVATOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone noticed really bad lag in DS3 lately? Players and bosses keep jumping around everywhere. Happened to me yesterday so I just assumed it was Steam maintenance but it also popped up the last couple times I played.