Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honest post: wwe writing sucks, Bayley gimmick is loving stupid, Alexa has a awesome booty, foochs doesnt know how to write.

Horizon Zero Dawn loving sucks and i wish i bought Witcher GOTY instead
#hottake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bayley should get magical powers. It would fit her character imo. She could use them to harm dolph ziggler

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bayley should be the new Bikertaker.

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

WWE dies when we do it looks like.

http://deadspin.com/study-the-median-age-of-tv-wrestling-viewers-has-nearl-1795864450

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i think jokes and fun are better than boring sincere posts, so if you're going to be earnest you had better have something to type worth reading. lemme try!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What in the ever loving gently caress does this have to do with anything? Yes, talent botches. That's clearly the issue, not the systematic terrible writing, worse booking, and a fundamental either lack of knowing what works in wrestling, promos, and character work, or just not giving a gently caress that the people backstage are largely terrible.

I think there's a strong case to be made that being a safe worker is the most fundamental element of being 'good' in the ring. I like the Miz a lot but it was definitely an issue for a while that anyone doing a high-flying move towards him was running a serious risk of going splat. Great wrestling, or even good wrestling involves a lot more elements and a lot of nuance but the bare minimum is protecting yourself and your opponent in the ring. It's not particularly relevant to the discussion about what ruins people on the main roster, which is often (but not always) more about the work backstage rather than the performers onstage but I do think its worth mentioning in a discussion about what makes a 'good' wrestler vs. a 'bad' wrestler.

To give another example, someone commented that Bayley and Sasha suck now on the main roster. I think Bayley is still bad on the mic, maybe even worse than before being called up (which may have to do with the material she's given), but she's capable of putting on a good match. Sasha is also bad on the mic (IMO) but in contrast with Bayley, she has injured other wrestlers and has put herself in danger of being injured herself. She can have, and has had, entertaining matches, but I think she's fundamentally worse than Bayley because we can trust that Bayley will work safely.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I personally would prefer to just watch wrestling and honestly comment on it rather than wrapping myself in ironic shitposts to convince myself that I'm so much cooler than those plebs who think wrestling is often cool and fun even when heavily flawed. :shobon:

So do I but I'm not futilely expecting WWE to suddenly reverse course and offer a product conducive to that environment.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Bill Goldberg posted:

i drew a picture of bayley im sorry to everyone for my trolling

Butt's too small

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Just give me more stuff like the Bates/Dunne UK Championship match. That's all I'm asking for. Is it really that hard?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Butt's too small

thats her face

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/872245717481422849

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

They almost never have to talk in NXT or run their own matches.

Yet somehow they're still over.

Maybe, and this is a longshot, here.

NXT is just better at getting talent over than the main roster and the main roster's standards and practices are the nonsense of a 70 year old man whose brain has been fried by steroids.

goddamn, those two are great. :lol:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

this is absolutely not true because they practice ppv matches all the time on house shows. even cena and orton do.

wrong as usual.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

If I'm a big Samoa Joe fan but I'm on limited data, should I watch Extreme Rules or this week's Raw?

(I bet the answer is Smackdown)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NXT is better at getting no talent over.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cena hasn't even worked a single house show since 2006. Orton since 2009. Anyone who steps into a ring for "practice" knows two things: 1. Vince wants them to either do totally silent hindu squats in there, or get out. And 2. Vince wants the product RAW

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

If I'm a big Samoa Joe fan but I'm on limited data, should I watch Extreme Rules or this week's Raw?

(I bet the answer is Smackdown)

I'd say Extreme Rules. Match was far better and didn't end with a silly distraction

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

NXT is better at getting no talent over.

Whereas the main roster can't (or, more accurately, doesn't want to) get anybody over.

Guess NXT's better. QED. :smug:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Cavauro posted:

Cena hasn't even worked a single house show since 2006.

Nope. Here he is at one in Fairfax VA in 2015.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

One thing Dave Meltzer keeps repeating over and over again that I am increasingly convinced is right is that there are powerful people in WWE who think that Daniel Bryan's rise is the new template for how to make a star with their modern audience, but they don't realize/accept that Bryan got over IN SPITE of how he was treated, not because of it. The fact that it became possible to retcon years of awful booking into this incredible underdog narrative that synched up with their Evil Authority storyline by pure coincidence, I think its made them drink the kool-aide in the belief that that had actually been their plan all along.

If they really think it was the constant embarrassment and crushing defeats and goofy comedy that made people love Daniel Bryan because he was such an underdog, the way they've booked Bayley, Sasha, Dean, Seth, and a bunch of other guys, up to and including Roman, makes a lot more sense.

Cavauro posted:

Cena hasn't even worked a single house show since 2006. Orton since 2009.

I saw Orton wrestle a house show in 2014.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i mean why would cena need to practice at house shows, dude has an entire segment on botchmania dedicated to him loudly calling matches

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Cavauro posted:

Cena hasn't even worked a single house show since 2006. Orton since 2009. Anyone who steps into a ring for "practice" knows two things: 1. Vince wants them to either do totally silent hindu squats in there, or get out. And 2. Vince wants the product RAW

I saw Orton at a house show a few months ago.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Basically the WWE has a template for the #1 babyface. They edit it frequently but it's usually reacting to what the last guy who got over did.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

maybe cross-check Cena/orton at house shows with a source that isn't a bunch of made Up bull stink before you Come around here tooting your piping hot brain. Cena's last house show was February 29 2006

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Two Beans posted:

Nope. Here he is at one in Fairfax VA in 2015.

this film still is an Obvious taping due to all the context clues that point exactly the opposite way of a house show

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It even says "work" on the ring apron

Everyone knows if it were real, it'd say "shoot"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That is clearly his cousin Juan Cena

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's really complete bullshit that WWE has never pushed Juan. :(

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I've been to multiple house shows since 2006 that had Cena on them tho.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Chris James 2 posted:

I'd say Extreme Rules. Match was far better and didn't end with a silly distraction

:tipshat: Thank you. That's the one I was leaning towards.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

cams posted:

joe should squash lesnar

i hope they legit beat the poo poo out of each other in the ring and have a good time doing it

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

Honest post: wwe writing sucks, Bayley gimmick is loving stupid, Alexa has a awesome booty, foochs doesnt know how to write.

Horizon Zero Dawn loving sucks and i wish i bought Witcher GOTY instead
#hottake

bayley's butt is much nicer than alexa's butt. as for the rest of this post, i don't know i don't watch anime.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Just give me more stuff like the Bates/Dunne UK Championship match. That's all I'm asking for. Is it really that hard?

'This is the difference between sports entertainment and MMA!'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I personally would prefer to just watch wrestling and honestly comment on it

You're a good dude, Foochs.

DoctorGonzo posted:

i wish i bought Witcher GOTY instead

This is the default human condition for the last 10,000 years, we've tried to fill it with war, sex, religion, Hulkamania etc. It's just that we're lucky enough to have been alive at a time when it was possible to have the thing our ancestors unknowingly yearned for.

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

Cena at a house show last year. I took this picture. It was me. This Cena house show nonsense is fake news.

Also at the same house show!

kinetic77 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 7, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Look I know you all love the fake scoopzman Shave Sheltzer, but I'll have you know that Cavauro is the real scoopzman and if he says Cena hasn't had a house show since 2006, then Cena hasn't had a house show since 2006.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
things that suck and are a piece of poo poo:

wrestling on house shows
wrestling on tv
wrestling on the network
giving belts to part timers
giving belts to fuckin' jabroni mark geeks who wrestle every week
smolamalaoa joe and his cocquattteea clutch
slommmmy jeo and his quintana cotch
slammy joe and his cococnut cluster
capitalization
effort
posting
wrestling

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

House show John Cena is actually a clone of the real John Cena.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If Vince could clone Cena, Rock or Austin he 100% would pick Cena every time.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
here's how to rehab bayley:

bring back steph, and have bayley give her the stunner mid-20 minute openning promo every episode of Raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Seams posted:

If Vince could clone Cena, Rock or Austin he 100% would pick Cena every time.

i dont recall rock or austin learning mandarin just to cut a handful of promos in china

• Locked thread