Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well that's somehow both a completely satisfying and thoroughly unsatisfying answer all at once.

World sucks. Forgot for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
At least she didn't get as completely hosed over as Lexi Alexander did.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

The Rock was cast years ago, as a villain. And really the only thing in any kind of production right now besides Justice League is Aquaman. Flash is pretty much dead in the water right now after losing multiple directors and going in for a full rewrite. And Batman is in God only knows what kind of shape. The only DC movie set to come out before 2019 at this point is Aquaman unless they rush something else into production. It's a real mess there right now.

God drat, DC is bad at movies. Regardless of whether you like them Marvel has been cranking out movies like mad and Fox owns like half their IPs. Get your poo poo together, DC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Lexi Alexander's movie was a total bomb though. Monster was huge.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yeah I'd say she got hosed over worse as Aphrodite said because her movie was actually a pretty big hit and earned awards love. I hate what happened to Lexi as well, but her movie was a flop.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

X-O posted:

Yeah I'd say she got hosed over worse as Aphrodite said because her movie was actually a pretty big hit and earned awards love. I hate what happened to Lexi as well, but her movie was a flop.

Green Street flopped?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Punisher: War Zone, presumably.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But also yes, it did.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For what it's worth, casting Rock as Black Adam isn't a bad idea at face value since he 100% has the look. It's just a matter of finding a Captain Marvel (I hate calling him Shazam) to bounce off of that's willing to go full Big Red Ham and Cheese. The alternative is seeing if the Rock would instead be Big Red (and probably rankle a few nerds who'd be mad Marvel isn't white)

Looking at Green Street, btw, it would be considered a box office success but only because its budget was ~$350k and grosses $3 mil. Its reviews were mixed however.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

For what it's worth, casting Rock as Black Adam isn't a bad idea at face value since he 100% has the look. It's just a matter of finding a Captain Marvel (I hate calling him Shazam) to bounce off of that's willing to go full Big Red Ham and Cheese. The alternative is seeing if the Rock would instead be Big Red (and probably rankle a few nerds who'd be mad Marvel isn't white)

One of if the rumors says Tatum Channing is no longer attached to Gambit and has been eyeballed by DC for the Big Red Cheese which btw, should absolutely be the name of the film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

If only Patrick Warburton was younger.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Channing Tatum would be perfect as Shazam

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm old so after a lifetime of "no, his name isn't actually Shazam" I'll never really get used to "no, now his name is Shazam."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The most recent of rumors is that a Shazam movie is nowhere on the horizon and Black Adam is going to be the villain of the next Superman movie actually.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
what

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I can totally see Black Adam as an ambiguous villain to Snyder and Cavill's Man of Steel that calls up all kinds of moral questions.

But I don't really want to watch that and I kinda wanted to see a goofy Shazam movie just for something wildly different from Snyder.

Plus, it will just be weird when I like Black Adam more than Superman. Which I will because its impossible not to like The Rock and I've seen Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman and didn't like Superman at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Marvel Family characters might be fun on Legends of Tomorrow or Supergirl.

CW can get on the phone to Lyndsy Fonseca and see if she's up for playing Mary Marvel.

Make it a Nikita reunion with Noah Bean as Captain Marvel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

STAC Goat posted:

I'm old so after a lifetime of "no, his name isn't actually Shazam" I'll never really get used to "no, now his name is Shazam."

I'm not sure how old you are, but when I was a kid, I had a bunch of viewmaster disks of the Adventures of Shazam, and that was the early 80s. I also had a ton of Batman episodes converted to that too. He's always been Shazam to me. I remember reading Kingdom Come and wondering why they were calling him Captain Marvel.

Though their attempt to rename him Captain Thunder was really silly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Gotham showed that WB really doesn't care much about keeping things separate any more seeing as they introduced their own Ra's (played by Alexander Siddig) complete with Lazarus Pit as well as revealing that one of the side characters' "real" name was Cyrus Gold.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Marvel Family characters might be fun on Legends of Tomorrow or Supergirl.

CW can get on the phone to Lyndsy Fonseca and see if she's up for playing Mary Marvel.

Make it a Nikita reunion with Noah Bean as Captain Marvel.

As a guest appearance on LoT maybe. The Marvel family definitely punch at Supergirl's tier and would probably have similar effects budgets. How all of their magic would jive with the alien stuff is another matter though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I think there's probably a difference between a villain who keeps popping up in DC properties and getting killed and a guy they cast a major Hollywood star as for their movie line.

But who knows? We're probably all expecting way more organization then DC has ever had with it's properties just because of the example Marvel has set.

But now you made me remember how the Arrow-verse totally blew Solomon Grundy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I think there's probably a difference between a villain who keeps popping up in DC properties and getting killed and a guy they cast a major Hollywood star as for their movie line.

But who knows? We're probably all expecting way more organization then DC has ever had with it's properties just because of the example Marvel has set.

But now you made me remember how the Arrow-verse totally blew Solomon Grundy.

It helps that Marvel doesn't have to shop around networks to host their shows. Disney has them all taken care of on that front. WB has to shop around which means one set of properties is locked up in one network, another is locked into a second and a third is still with a movie studio that's not connected to the other two. I think a lot of the organization is thanks to Disney acquiring them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The most recent of rumors is that a Shazam movie is nowhere on the horizon and Black Adam is going to be the villain of the next Superman movie actually.

I just saw something about them back peddling on this to assure us that the Shazam film was indeed still happening but yeah, Black Adam will fight Superman first.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
How does siddig compare to Nable?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

How does siddig compare to Nable?

He was a much more traditional Ra's. British accent, cape, slightly graying hair. Although he was barely in the episode and was kind of just there as set up.

Also they went with the B:TAS pronunciation and not the Nolan movie version.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

He was a much more traditional Ra's. British accent, cape, slightly graying hair. Although he was barely in the episode and was kind of just there as set up.

At least they picked a side, unlike Arrow. I liked the Nable character but boy did the writers squander his potential that season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The wrong one then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

The wrong one then.

If the man who created the character says it's correct, it is correct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not when it's a real language and the guy using it doesn't know what he's talking about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Not when it's a real language and the guy using it doesn't know what he's talking about.

It's a comic book, he can do whatever he wants.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lord Bude posted:

At least they picked a side, unlike Arrow. I liked the Nable character but boy did the writers squander his potential that season.

I kinda agree, but I have a lot of trouble hating on a season that had that wonderful mid-finale chumpfight. Big ol' showdown with swelling heroic music --> block, skewer, kicked off a cliff, roll credits.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

But it was tarnished by the whole magic herb resurrection thing. It was also the high point of the season. The whole back half felt like the writers were making poo poo up as they went along, and it was hugely unsatisfying.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Lord Bude posted:

But it was tarnished by the whole magic herb resurrection thing. It was also the high point of the season. The whole back half felt like the writers were making poo poo up as they went along, and it was hugely unsatisfying.

Was Sarah still dead at the time? Her and Ollie fighting through hell to be both rez'd by Constantaine would have been cool but probably logistically impossible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Was Sarah still dead at the time? Her and Ollie fighting through hell to be both rez'd by Constantaine would have been cool but probably logistically impossible.

Yes, still dead. She was killed in the first episode of Season 3 and Rezzed in episode 3 of season 4. Then Constantine came in and restored her soul in episode 5.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

And then they went and brought Deadshot back two more times anyway. Once as an alternate universe Floyd Lawton and then again this last season as a hallucination/ghost.
I reckon that they can get away with it if it's just "Floyd Lawton" and not Deadshot, or anything particularly recognisable about him.

GobiasIndustries posted:

God drat, DC is bad at movies. Regardless of whether you like them Marvel has been cranking out movies like mad and Fox owns like half their IPs. Get your poo poo together, DC.
All I could think of when the DC logo came up at the start of Wonder Woman was "Hey! Look at all these great characters who we could have been making films about for years!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xelkelvos posted:

The alternative is seeing if the Rock would instead be Big Red (and probably rankle a few nerds who'd be mad Marvel isn't white)
That's the best reason to do it. Then follow up with a Batman reboot where he's played by an Asian. And just don't acknowledge it at all. Even in interviews, if anyone asks about it just play dumb, like you don't even understand the question. Then cast a woman to play Superman. Not a female version of Superman, just Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/872517413702598657

:allears:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Glad Dr Bashir is getting work

He's too good for us

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Lord Bude posted:

Even a year and a half later, it still blows my mind that, in a storyline featuring Ra's al Ghul, the hero was resurrected by... some herb no one's ever heard of, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Even a year and a half later, it still blows my mind that, in a storyline featuring Ra's al Ghul, the hero was resurrected by... some herb no one's ever heard of, whatever.

And then they literally went on to resurrect Thea in an actual pit like 3 episodes later.

• Locked thread