Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

The time they asked that one dude who posts in this thread to manually delete his unneeded decks one by one because they were taking up too much storage

It should be noted that these were automatically saved draft decks and they numbered in the thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
I like the ones where saffi eriksdottir and strionic resonator just don't work. You can activate their abilities but they both just don't do anything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ThePeavstenator posted:

It should be noted that these were automatically saved draft decks and they numbered in the thousands.

Entire megabytes of data, how could modo ever hope to handle it?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

uPen posted:

Entire megabytes of data, how could modo ever hope to handle it?

it must have been in the gigs, each card in each deck is unique and has it's own instance of the art image and rules text I bet lol

either way once it started causing problems the obvious answer is the email your customer and tell them to do hours of busy work for you because they use your product too much

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The fact that Spawnsire of Ulamog's ability cost (2) to activate through multiple recurrences of RoE flashback drafting and was never actually fixed.

No, really, I can find someone reporting this bug as far back as 2015, and Saffron Olive posted about this bug on Twitter earlier this year. Gatherer still lists the cost of Ulamog's ability as (2)0: _____, so I'm confident it's still bugged.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The time Deadshot could target the same creature twice.

Okay, that's small potatoes, but you guys got most of the good ones already.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
They still haven't fixed Reanimate + Containment Priest, which I consider more egregious because that's an actual Legacy relevant interaction and seemingly shouldn't be too tough to get working.

Elyv posted:

- the time when Jaddi Lifestrider crashed the game despite working for years

Did it crash the game? I thought it asked you to tap 99 things, including all the cards in your opponent's sideboard, and if there weren't enough cards you timed out.

Death Bot posted:

The time when gleemox, a card notable for saying "this card is banned" on it, was legal in multiple formats

Hey they fixed that one after one jackass played it against a streamer while a WotC employee was watching.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

That time where if snapcaster flashed back a zenith card, it would shuffle into your library but still show up in the exile zone, and your opponent would know when you drew it because it would disappear from exile

I remember having this effect me and my opponents. The reveal when it was drawn was a nice buggy touch.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Did it crash the game? I thought it asked you to tap 99 things, including all the cards in your opponent's sideboard, and if there weren't enough cards you timed out.

That was Tangle Wire if you didn't have enough permanents to tap to it.

Hellsau posted:

Hey they fixed that one after one jackass played it against a streamer while a WotC employee was watching.

:allears:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Oh yes you're right, my mistake.

---

That time they announced flashback standard and then it turned out that multiple cards in those decks didn't work.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

1) xmage.de seems to be a little bit more reliable than woogerworks, but not by much.
2) You can click on the phases bar at the right side of the window to open up the "set my stops" interface quickly.

Thanks this is perfect.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

Oh yes you're right, my mistake.

---

That time they announced flashback standard and then it turned out that multiple cards in those decks didn't work.

Fortunately they wisely pulled the affected throwback gauntlet when the bugs became apparent, even though the bugs effected cards that were widely known and reported as bugged for more than a year before the gauntlet went up.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

ShaneB posted:

Thanks this is perfect.

FWIW, I've had more luck with activity levels on xmage.de over woogerworks. That said, both are reasonably active.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mezzanon posted:

God I hope that modern event deck story is true

It's not quite what I remembered:
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/24935_Playing-An-Event-Deck-At-An-SCG-Open.html

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

That period of time where 'discard card at random' did not in fact discard anything at random.

That time when Tempting Wurm let your opponent put creatures into play from your hand.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

ZeroCount posted:

That period of time where 'discard card at random' did not in fact discard anything at random.

That time when Tempting Wurm let your opponent put creatures into play from your hand.
Everything about Panglacial Wurm. They literally just gave up trying to make it work.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

suicidesteve posted:

This is the first one I haven't heard of yet.

....What?

This was way back when MODO 2.0 rolled out, and Guerrilla Tactics was in your deck it would trigger whenever it drat well pleased, even if it wasn't in your hand.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That time i got hundreds of tickets from selling cards from a phantom cube that actually wasn't phantom

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bugsy posted:

That time that Mirrodin Blinding Beam worked, but MM Blinding Beam didn't

this has always been my favorite cuz it means of all the programmers at least one doesn't know how to copy/paste

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That time i got hundreds of tickets from selling cards from a phantom cube that actually wasn't phantom

Lmao this is great

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Everything about Panglacial Wurm. They literally just gave up trying to make it work.

How does that card work IRL, anyway? Do you literally resolve it in the middle of resolving whatever effect is causing you to search your library?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

How does that card work IRL, anyway? Do you literally resolve it in the middle of resolving whatever effect is causing you to search your library?

You cast it while the other spell/ability is still resolving. It will go directly above it on the stack. The spell/ability resolves. Players get priority. Then panglacial wurm resolves.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I just collected company'd into a reflector mage in response to a Liliana of the Veil uptick and made my opponent discard an Olivia Voldaren he had just played. I think I need to go take a shower.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Since it hasn't really come up yet, TDSL has been interesting. It feels like the old timers have been getting wrecked which might be attributable to
1) They just don't draft AKH too much
2) The new world order fairly ruined draft strategies that aimed to leave your opponents only with cards that replace colors on permanents or w/e

Probably a large part the former, but it feels like the latter has some kind of effect. Not a huge deal, but kinda funny given all the talk of how team drafting so thoroughly changes the strategy of drafting etc.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

uninverted posted:

I just collected company'd into a reflector mage in response to a Liliana of the Veil uptick and made my opponent discard an Olivia Voldaren he had just played. I think I need to go take a shower.

Bouncing someone's Liliana with Cryptic in response to the uptick when they're hellbent is pretty nice too.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Rides Naked posted:

Since it hasn't really come up yet, TDSL has been interesting. It feels like the old timers have been getting wrecked which might be attributable to
2) The new world order fairly ruined draft strategies that aimed to leave your opponents only with cards that replace colors on permanents or w/e

Probably a large part the former, but it feels like the latter has some kind of effect. Not a huge deal, but kinda funny given all the talk of how team drafting so thoroughly changes the strategy of drafting etc.

Also, AKH draft is some hard stuff. It feels much more skill intensive and especially demanding regarding decision making while drafting.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Also, AKH draft is some hard stuff. It feels much more skill intensive and especially demanding regarding decision making while drafting.

I've been doing pretty well with it in leagues. It got a lot better when I started valuing cheap interaction (including efficient exert creatures) above everything except sure-win bombs.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

meanolmrcloud posted:

clamiam45 posted:

I've been doing pretty well with it in leagues. It got a lot better when I started valuing cheap interaction (including efficient exert creatures) above everything except sure-win bombs.

Agreed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Haha nice. That deck rules too, but I've never gotten FOUR drakes! Did you have the spells to make it easy?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ThePeavstenator posted:

No, the initial matrix is the matchup favorability for each deck.

In general game theory terms you'd say that each axis contains a set of choices for each player, and a payoff for each combination of choices. Here's a game matrix for rock-paper-scissors:

This payoff matrix looks a little different because has the values for both players. If player 1's choices are listed in the left column, and player 2's choices are listed in the top row, the payoffs are formatted as ([player 1's payoff for this combination of choices], [player 2's payoff]). You can see that player 1 throwing scissors and player 2 throwing rock ends up with a payoff of (-1, 1), where player 1's payoff is -1 (a loss) and player 2's payoff is 1 (a win).

That deck matrix I used works the same way, but only lists the payoffs for player 1. From there, you can solve for the correct mixed strategy based on the payoffs of each choice. The harmonic pattern in the graphs is what shows up when the mixed strategy isn't adhered to. It's not being randomly generated, it's actually being mathematically solved.

What the code I wrote can do is accept a matrix of all the matchups in a meta (like what mtggoldfish used to publish here :argh:) and spit out what the best decks are, as well as what metagame will look like over time. The model can also accept "hedge" values to account for player preferences (i.e. there's an obvious best deck but a much cheaper deck is really popular anyway).

Basically if real world data was available for the winrates of deck matchups we could easily calculate what the best deck was period, as well as what the correct metagame choices would be as time went on.

Looks like you inspired Frank Karsten: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/its-a-small-sample-analysis-but-the-standard-equilibrium-metagame-apparently-contains-0-marvel/

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Gonna see how Jund gods works in standard this week. Spent $35 finishing the deck yesterday so I have practice with another deck once rotation hits..

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Elyv posted:

We should commemorate this by listing some of our favorite bugs

Goblin token blocks Serum Visions

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

That's... interesting? Marvel is actually a BAD deck choice?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Slightly, in the specific "ideal" meta that's composed of BG, UR and zombies. If people insist on playing decks that lose to Marvel (say, too large a percentage of the field is zombies), it probably becomes a good pick.

I'd be curious to see Peavstenator run Karsten's numbers.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Rides Naked posted:

Whenever I hear Marshall commentating a match i think wow this guy has no idea how to play limited at all. And then I watched him play and yeah, he has no idea how to play limited at all.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Siivola posted:

Slightly, in the specific "ideal" meta that's composed of BG, UR and zombies. If people insist on playing decks that lose to Marvel (say, too large a percentage of the field is zombies), it probably becomes a good pick.

I'd be curious to see Peavstenator run Karsten's numbers.

The title of the article says it all, "It’s a Small-Sample Analysis". The math all works out, but look at the BG numbers. The deck's matchup percentages are all above 50 except for Zombies, and Zombies gets rolled by every other deck. Basically I don't buy BG having those matchups, and I think the problem stems from looking at the day 2 results of 7-2 players in 2 GPs. That's not a very large of a sample size, and you can't really justify the assumption that both players in each matchup are equally skilled, which this model relies on.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 7, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Firebatgyro posted:

Whenever I hear Marshall commentating a match i think wow this guy has no idea how to play limited at all. And then I watched him play and yeah, he has no idea how to play limited at all.

Doesn't Marshall hang out in the 1900 club range pretty regularly?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Remember for magic players there's no in between. If something isn't the best then it's garbage.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

ShaneB posted:

Doesn't Marshall hang out in the 1900 club range pretty regularly?

Yea. The guy is a limited God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Firebatgyro posted:

Lmao yeah okay