Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Warning! Do not try to keep up with this watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Don't worry, I won't

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The watch is just the bait, they really gently caress you over upselling the ether mask.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

Warning! Do not try to keep up with this watch!

Excessive use of watch may result in injury, sex crime, or overpopulation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"How do we make it acceptable to wear ball gags in public?"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jawzrsize/jawzrsize-fitness-4-your-face-create-the-ultimate

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That reminded me of a Calvin & Hobbes story actually

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

ProSqueeze: The World’s Best Tool for Relieving Tension
ProSqueeze is an innovative new self-massage tool designed for anyone who doesn't have the time or money to get a massage regularly.

It's also for anyone who doesn't know where they can get a cheap bar clamp.
It's almost made the funding goal and it's going to retail for $109 :suicide:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

A Good Username posted:

It's also for anyone who doesn't know where they can get a cheap bar clamp.

Holy crap, I thought you just meant it had the same function... I can literally buy that from the hardware store for $5.

Edit: ok $17 dollars or four for $30!

yoloer420 has a new favorite as of 12:35 on May 31, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Fidget spinners are out, massage clamps are in.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Brb, going to Kickstart a "tub for bathing"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PathAsc posted:

Brb, going to Kickstart a "tub for bathing"

Create a Kickstarter for solar clothes dryers, and then mail them a clothesline

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

yoloer420 posted:

Holy crap, I thought you just meant it had the same function... I can literally buy that from the hardware store for $5.

$2.99

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/this-campaign-is-over-all-orders-refunded-entertainment#/updates

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

yoloer420 posted:

I have roughly 20 of these in my garage

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I don't get it

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Neither did that project's creators.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral Damage posted:

Neither did that project's creators.

I mean they just launched a campaign and got exactly 0$ ? Or does it say 0 because they "refunded orders" ?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

unpacked robinhood posted:

I mean they just launched a campaign and got exactly 0$ ? Or does it say 0 because they "refunded orders" ?

Yeah no one sets up a flexible funding project and then goes "Ehhh thanks for the money guys but we're sending it back, we'll raise the funds some other way"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

There's an indie wrestling promotion in Austin that decided to raise capital funds via indiegogo. They got beaten up about it being a terrible idea and half cancelled the campaign.

Admittedly they did this funding apology thing before I grabbed the link.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah no one sets up a flexible funding project and then goes "Ehhh thanks for the money guys but we're sending it back, we'll raise the funds some other way"

That's exactly what they did!

https://twitter.com/WrestleCircus/status/870043299226173440

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The people behind Titan Note, a blatantly fraudulent dictation device, get kicked off off of not just one but two crowdfunding sites, and then start filing DMCA takedown notices against tech sites covering their product, for things like using their own publicity photos (to comment on the device) and using the product's *name* in their reviews.

They served Techdirt with one. Techdirt hired Ken White to represent them. White sent this letter:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-coverage.shtml

quote:

Dear Mr. Jansson,

This firm is litigation counsel to Floor64, Inc., which owns and operates the site Techdirt.com (“Techdirt”). I write in response to your email of May 26, 2017 to Mike Masnick of Floor64.

I will ignore the procedural deficiencies in your purported DMCA notice and address the lack of substance. Your assertion that Techdirt has violated Titan Technologies, LLC’s (“Titan”) intellectual property rights is astoundingly frivolous and represents a transparent attempt to suppress negative news coverage through vexatious legal threats. It will fail. Techdirt’s coverage of Titan’s conduct is clearly protected by applicable law.

Even assuming for the sake of argument that Titan has a protected intellectual property interest in its public Facebook comments, Techdirt’s coverage is classic fair use protected by Title 17, United States Code, section 107. Techdirt has reported and displayed those comments for the purposes of criticism, comment, and news reporting. Your claimed trademark violation is equally meritless. Techdirt has used Titan’s name not to compete with Titan, but to identity Titan in order to report on its conduct. That’s self-evidently nominative fair use. New Kids on the Block v. News Am. Pub., Inc., 971 F.2d 302, 307 (9th Cir. 1992).

Your bogus claims, threatened to deter news coverage, are exactly the sort that lead to courts awarding attorney fees to defendants. Should you file an action, you should expect me to seek attorney fees, win them, and pursue you personally for them wherever you may retreat. Floor64 also reserves its right to seek damages for abuse of the DMCA under, for instance, Title 17, United States Code, section 512(f).

Please direct any further communications, including further bumptious legal threats, to me.

Very truly yours,

Ken White

:boom:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
bumptious legal threats

Heh. I'm going to find a way to work that into conversation.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The legal precedent of new kids on the block

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Rapulum_Dei posted:

bumptious legal threats

New thread title?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rapulum_Dei posted:

bumptious legal threats

Heh. I'm going to find a way to work that into conversation.

Why not? It's a perfectly cromulent word.

It makes me wonder if law students have a class where they learn obscure words purely to make other people feel dumb when they have to look them up.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Popehat!

I am disappointed he didn't include "Govern yourself accordingly" though. That is my favorite legal shade.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

LogicalFallacy posted:

New thread title?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
kirby doesn't have ears you bumptious sack of poo poo

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LogicalFallacy posted:

New thread title?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The legal precedent of new kids on the block

My favorite part.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

The people behind Titan Note, a blatantly fraudulent dictation device, get kicked off off of not just one but two crowdfunding sites, and then start filing DMCA takedown notices against tech sites covering their product, for things like using their own publicity photos (to comment on the device) and using the product's *name* in their reviews.

They served Techdirt with one. Techdirt hired Ken White to represent them. White sent this letter:

Needs a touch more Arkell v Pressdram

Solicitor (Goodman Derrick & Co.) posted:

We act for Mr Arkell who is Retail Credit Manager of Granada TV Rental Ltd. His attention has been drawn to an article appearing in the issue of Private Eye dated 9th April 1971 on page 4. The statements made about Mr Arkell are entirely untrue and clearly highly defamatory. We are therefore instructed to require from you immediately your proposals for dealing with the matter. Mr Arkell's first concern is that there should be a full retraction at the earliest possible date in Private Eye and he will also want his costs paid. His attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of your reply.

Private Eye posted:

We acknowledge your letter of 29th April referring to Mr J. Arkell. We note that Mr Arkell's attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of our reply and would therefore be grateful if you would inform us what his attitude to damages would be, were he to learn that the nature of our reply is as follows: gently caress off.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
How does Tim Buckley continue to get work? A card game about presidents fighting each other in wacky ways, and it is compatible with previous games about Tim Buckley's characters fighting each other. Why is something like this so close to succeeding?

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

What was the thing he tried to raise money for that people had to donate pennies to see if the tracker was broken or not?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

stringball posted:

What was the thing he tried to raise money for that people had to donate pennies to see if the tracker was broken or not?

I had to check the Webcomics thread to remember what it was called, but it was his convention Digital Overload. Here's the summary:

I think it was this one where he kept the funds and bought himself a new drawing tablet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

He's no Leonard J. Crabs, but that's not a bad smackdown at all

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SpacePig posted:

How does Tim Buckley continue to get work? A card game about presidents fighting each other in wacky ways, and it is compatible with previous games about Tim Buckley's characters fighting each other. Why is something like this so close to succeeding?

He's still got $3600 a month coming in on his patreon, so he must have a bunch of fans left somehow: https://www.patreon.com/CtrlAltDel

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's pure gold, including a 26 minute (!!) pitch video: "Space-opolis"

quote:

Our first product we wish to produce is our video game, temporarily called, "Space-opolis". A medium sized MMO-RPGFPS that will try to capture a more realistic overview of war and resource management. We will be using ProTools, Reason, Photoshop, 3DS Max, and Unity to create our product. "Space-opolis" is an online computer game that takes place in the not-so-distant future. Factions on Earth and Mars wage an all out war against each other for supremacy. In Space-opolis, Officer players experience gameplay from the 3rd-person top-down perspective; they construct buildings, upgrade various aspects of their army, and command basic units while managing resources. Soldier players experience gameplay from the First Person perspective; they utilize the upgrades Officer players put into effect, pilot various vehicles and fight other players. Players can focus on either individual or team progression. Mission objectives and class specified achievements give players something to aim for while progressing through the game. The game world s meant for 500 to 1,000 players in an open world, so players can freely enter a game.

Oh boy an MMO RPG FPS, it's just missing RTS (though he calls it out in the pitch.)

quote:

The concept documentation and artwork is compete except for character art, music, vehicle interiors and UI, and a few programming parts. Most of the game's content and functionality has already been tested via pen-and-paper. The story of the game and the backstory for the game's buildings, sides of conflict, weapons, vehicles, characters and units are completed.

We tested our video game on pen-and-paper :downs:

quote:

We would love for another company to replicate our game model into their future games. If the game mechanics were to be replicated by Triple A and Indie developers, it would be more than a great honor, it would serve as confirmation that our game mechanic concept is the "next-step" in the gaming community.

Our game is going to be so good, people are going to copy it :downs:

But there must be risks :ohdear:

quote:

Pre-existing assets that are both cost free and royalty free (textures, code, scripts, models, etc.), found on various asset stores will be be edited, which will reduce the time checkpoints and milestones will be completed.

That's... not a risk. Also seriously you are just going to copy some free Unity assets and tweak them a bit?

quote:

Though there are no true alternatives to our game, people can play Starcraft/Warcraft for resource management and RTS; Call of Duty/Battlefield for FPS; and almost any Role-Playing-Game (RPG) for exploration and item gathering with some resource management (like World of Warcraft). To overcome this challenge, advertising is needed to pull players in and have them experience our game. Two of our team members have experience in Public Relations/Advertising and have relevant and current media contacts.

There are no alternatives to their game! You must play it or else! Also we have two people in PR which explains a 26 minute pitch video of a guy talking directly at the camera.

quote:

After BETA-launch, our challenge is to remain operable and to maintain the servers and have customer service for our players and clients. This means that at least 2.5% of our target market will have to purchase our product. Our target market is as follows: Males ages 12-50, Females 12-36; primary focus on the United States. Targeting computer/laptop owners with internet connection. Target population at 105,118,708 – 174,721,212.

We only need 105M players :downs: WoW peaked at, what, 12M?

quote:

The true risk, as in all industries, is in the capital needed to start up and to expand. Currently, we're seeking investor financing to hire more than 13 new employees (up to 56 total employees max). This campaign on Kickstarter is for the 13 of us to get this project into the production phase (only 32 assets remain in the concept phase). The funds raised will be used to cover the costs of production and legal fees.

The risk is not that we will fail but that we won't have enough capital. :downs:

quote:

CourEntertainment LLC will design and develop all aspect of this game in-house. Meaning: we will not rely on 3rd parties to develop music, voice-overs, models, code, cut-scenes, art, etc.. CourEntertainment LLC covers all 3 phases of development: pre-production, production, and post-production.

I thought you were going to find free code/assets and use them, those are developed by third parties.

quote:

For production, 2D images are scanned and cleaned up digitally before being converted into a 3D assets.

I don't even

They want 2.5 million. With six days to go they have two backers for $125 total, which means mom and dad pledged to not completely humiliate this guy.

DansGaming does a good job mocking stupid kickstarters and thanks to him for mentioning this one on his stream.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

monster on a stick posted:

Ha ha ha ha the photo of their :airquote: video game :airquote:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

We only need 105M players :downs: WoW peaked at, what, 12M?

Okay, the entire rest of the thing is stupid, but that's not what that's saying. It's saying that there are an estimated 105,118,708 – 174,721,212 people in their target market, not that they expect everyone in their target market to buy in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

senrath posted:

Okay, the entire rest of the thing is stupid, but that's not what that's saying. It's saying that there are an estimated 105,118,708 – 174,721,212 people in their target market, not that they expect everyone in their target market to buy in.
Yeah, they only need 2.5% of that, minimum.

That's right, they need to sell 2.5 million copies, minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That seems like a reasonable way to test a bunch of kinds of game mechanics, to me. Sid Meier and Will Wright talk about paper prototyping all the time.