Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i have no idea how nobody brought this up during the 2008 or 2016 campaigns if the book has been out since the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/larryhinkle/status/872258644045385728

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
my favorite hot take is that Bernie would have had slaves too if he'd been governor of his state

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

haven't seen anyone post about it outside of left twitter and hillary twitter yet. who have you seen?

nobody ive just been following this thread but hillary twitter and left twitter usually intersect with media twitter

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

i have no idea how nobody brought this up during the 2008 or 2016 campaigns if the book has been out since the 90s

It would not surprise me in the least if it were a conscious choice to avoid "unfairly" tarring a democratic frontrunner.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

my favorite hot take is that Bernie would have had slaves too if he'd been governor of his state

bernie would have own(ed people)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i wonder how much of the outrage over slavedriver abuela is her weirdass reaction to it or people just now finding out that state and local governments use prison labor for maintenance and other basic work

its kind of dumb to blame her totally for something we're all kind of complicit in buuuttrr holy poo poo that "i learned that they could feel feelings remarkably similar to human feelings" poo poo gets my blood boiling

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yesssssss

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

Nobody actually reads those books lmao.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Al! posted:

its kind of dumb to blame her totally for something we're all kind of complicit in buuuttrr holy poo poo that "i learned that they could feel feelings remarkably similar to human feelings" poo poo gets my blood boiling

yeah the weird patronizing way she talked about them was massively worse than using prison labor BUT "hillary clinton literally had house slaves (perfectly legally, because the US is atrocious)" is pretty bad optics too

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Or as the Russians call it, agitproporatikki

ya that

wow its so convenient how they're behind almost like everything haha were we ever really in america

[Putin, extremely Bane] "And do you feel in charge?"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Holy poo poo Wisniewski got hosed by Murphy and Jim Motherfucking Johnson

nice

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nobody actually reads those books lmao.

Rush would regularly read passages from that book on his show as proof that Hillary was coming to steal all your white babies but for some reason he had no issues with this section and never read it 🤔🤔🤔

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You can feel sorry for Hillary because she had her soul ground down further and further by political realities until there was nothing left, but that's not true at all for Bill. Up until 2000 he lived a life of getting everything he ever wanted thanks to his sociopath charm and I'm glad his racist cynicism didn't work on Obama, and I'm glad nobody listened to him during his wife's losing presidential campaign, and I'm glad he looks like he's dying.

With all due respect to her pro-bono work on family law and health care misadventures, and some admittedly terrible treatment in the public eye, she was a highly successful IP lawyer at an extremely politically and economically influential law firm, was enormously successful at bringing in clients and exercising influence while practicing law as Arkansas' First Lady, and was a loving Wal-Mart board member from 1986 until the presidential election in 1992- I think you're grossly, grossly overestimating her purity of spirit by the time she was on the national stage. The caustic effects of national politics sure didn't improve her, the whole "poor Hillary :(" narrative is laughable.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol there's an audiobook version of her reading the passage

https://twitter.com/jeanettejing/status/872116906718900224

lmao

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

logikv9 posted:

Holy poo poo Wisniewski got hosed by Murphy and Jim Motherfucking Johnson

nice

lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Joementum posted:

Vermont is a lot like Arkansas if you think about it long enough that you lose the thread in the first place

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

ya that

wow its so convenient how they're behind almost like everything haha were we ever really in america

[Putin, extremely Bane] "And do you feel in charge?"

After the Soviets won the Cold War, America was set up as a Potemkin Nation to serve as an example to all the world on the dangers of capitalism.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

typical white dudebro bernie bros trying to tell minorities what they should think. if the black community didnt like a woman who exploited predominantly black prison labor and wrote about how they can have feelings like hers even though their brains are underdeveloped, then why did they all vote for her over bernie :smug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lastgirl posted:

Vermont is a lot like Arkansas if you think about it long enough that you lose the thread in the first place

one problem with the "Bernie woulda had slaves too" theory is that Vermont does not have a governors mansion

there are other problems as well

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Joementum posted:

Rush would regularly read passages from that book on his show as proof that Hillary was coming to steal all your white babies but for some reason he had no issues with this section and never read it 🤔🤔🤔

Rush's pathologies are obvious, but the last people who would have actually read that book in earnest did it in the 90s. Most people back then wouldn't have given the domestic prison labor or criminal neuroscience passages any second thought, because the discourse on social justice has advanced much further in the last 20 years.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I knew I should've voted for Lesniak, he got the least amount of votes and I feel bad

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

oh yeah her reaction is totally hosed up. something's seriously wrong with that lady

my mom had a similar situation with guys from county jail who used to do landscaping work at her office, but instead of side-eyeing them, sending back the undesirables, and practicing armchair phrenology her and the other social workers would go sit and talk with them on their breaks and bring them extra lunches, treating them with a basic amount of human decency

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chafee owned one slave but freed him after the first day.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
remember people fawning over abuela's top secret undercover spy operation where she risked certain death to integrate all the schools in the south

then a year later she found out the governor's mansion came with slaves and she was like nbd

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This is going to make great fodder for political erotica.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm literally crying

https://twitter.com/noahmccormack/status/872260833174335493

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/neon_liberal/status/872263139970166785

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

I still want to know what lessons she learned from her Libya adventure and how she would handle a similar crisis differently had she become President

given that her plan for Syria was a no fly zone my belief is that she learned nothing

i have no interest in learning any further facts about non-person hillary clinton

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

Please be considerate to her.

She's learning. She makes mistakes. That's part of the learning experience at the expense of other people who are just nothing but lessons and chapters in her life to be sold in book form.

awwww shucky ducky its that clinton hubris once again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i feel like this guy has to be gaslighting us

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only way to be rid fo the clintons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

neonatalliberal

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Joementum posted:

one problem with the "Bernie woulda had slaves too" theory is that Vermont does not have a governors mansion

there are other problems as well

ya, usually its the geographic problem that comes to mind first

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Bernie only enslaves abominations.

Abomination was originally a KGB agent
KGB is evil russia

Bernie wants to enslave russia
Putin wants to enslave russia

COMMUNISM IN THE USSR

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i have no interest in learning any further facts about non-person hillary clinton

welcome

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

i feel like this guy has to be gaslighting us

His timeline is only a day old, so it's a masterful troll account.

https://twitter.com/seriousdialogue/status/872234032058298369

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats an amazing twitter gimmick and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

How many levels of justification are you on?

Oh yeah? Thats nothing, watch this:

Also, I love the simultaneous narrative of Hillary being politically powerful and influential in her own right, but helpless to affect any change in the governor's mansion.

And of course diagnosing your slave labor as mentally broken and sending them back to prison for any infraction of the rules was the only reasonable way to react to the situation.

• Locked thread