Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah needless to say this was written before the trump tweets and with the naive assumption that america isnt run by a complete retard

I'm glad we finally know what the Dr Claw warroom with The Orb was about : Operation gently caress Qatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Why are Sufis Shia even though there are both Shiite and Sunni Sufis?

why are alawites shi'a? it all depends on who you ask. to some alawites aren't even muslim. to others shia aren't even human. us shia need all the help we can get.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Piss de Bundy posted:

why are alawites shi'a? it all depends on who you ask. to some alawites aren't even muslim. to others shia aren't even human. us shia need all the help we can get.

Fair enough.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/6foqla/sdf_spokeswoman_cihan_shekh_ahmed_to_smart_news/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck5cTgb61cU
SDF Spokeswoman Cihan Shekh Ahmed to SMART News Agency: "We started moving advancing in Raqqa City from two sides. Our plan is to open safe corridors for the exit of civilians from Raqqa City."

Purported infighting in Raqqa city, and holy poo poo get a load of this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/6foaq0/free_euphrates_sources_reported_that_daesh/
Free Euphrates: Sources reported that Daesh started executing some of its members called Al-Hazimin for showing signs of rebellion (Raqqa City)

quote:

Sc1p:
They're called Hāzimis after an imprisoned Saudi sheikh, they're an extreme current within IS (more extreme if that's even possible) IS executed 11 Moroccans in Deir ez Zor in the last few days. IS has been executing extremist judges since years because they practice Takfir too often. "Hāzimis" consider those who do not brand other muslims (when it is required to do so) as infidels, to be infidels themselves.

This is a really good article on the Hazimi current:
http://www.jihadica.com/the-extremist-wing-of-the-islamic-state/

"Abu Umar finally proclaimed al-Baghdadi to be an infidel (...) the Islamic State responded by executing him"

These guys don't fool around.
--
Lokhra:
they're an extreme current within IS
Just how deep does this sewer go, like god drat
edit: read this and try not to laugh
Based on this principle, Zawahiri is considered an infidel because he does not excommunicate the Shia and Baghdadi is an infidel because he did not excommunicate Zawahiri
Hazimis: yeah, ISIS and Baghdadi just aren't extreme enough for our tastes, we need something more extreme.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Piss de Bundy posted:

How are the Ghulat sects (like Alawites) viewed by Twelver scholars?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It looks like Erdogan's opposed to the Saudi blockade of Qatar, which is unsurprising since he was on the opposite side from the Saudis with regard to Egypt. As garbage as Erdogan is compared to Western countries Turkey once aspired to join, and as much as I dislike his policy toward Kurds both inside and outside his borders, he's still better than the Saudis.

Holy poo poo:

https://twitter.com/vplus/status/872212797005979648

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 6, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sinteres posted:

he's still better than the Saudis.

Standards so low I stubbed my toe on them.

^^That was for the faux news releases on doha news sites (iirc) and twitter accounts.
Its not the sole reason, but like many things a regional strongman does they only but need a monomolecular veneer of just cause.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 6, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-qatar-crisis/index.html

"Intelligence gathered by the US security agencies indicates that Russian hackers were behind the intrusion first reported by the Qatari government two weeks ago. . . US officials say the Russian goal appears to be to cause rifts among the US and its allies."

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Piss de Bundy posted:

Coming from the only guy in the history of this thread to ever use the term 'The Lion Assad' unironically, that last sentence makes me roll my eyes out of my head. A champion of the oppressed you are not.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Weren't Qatar, Bahrain, and all these other small Gulf states specifically created by the West to ensure no one country had control of all the oil resources in the region? I don't see how the US will allow any serious damage to be done to Qatar lest it set off a domino effect that would lead to Saudi Arabia controlling all of the oil.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Bohemian Nights posted:

US officials say the Russian goal appears to be to cause rifts among the US and its allies."

Holy poo poo balls was that successful. Like seriously, what are the chances of any Arab state relying on US protection from KSA to take any kind of stand against Saudi influence again? Also what are the chances of the Qataris having any previously private intelligence on US operations that are even now being communicated to Iran (and then Russia)?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Gimmick Account posted:

Coming from the only guy in the history of this thread to ever use the term 'The Lion Assad' unironically, that last sentence makes me roll my eyes out of my head. A champion of the oppressed you are not.

Why do you get mad about this but not the Sunni who supports al-Qaeda and is an openly anti-Shia bigot

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Also I'd wager good money he was using "the Lion Assad" ironically because it's a silly meme.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qkkl posted:

Weren't Qatar, Bahrain, and all these other small Gulf states specifically created by the West to ensure no one country had control of all the oil resources in the region? I don't see how the US will allow any serious damage to be done to Qatar lest it set off a domino effect that would lead to Saudi Arabia controlling all of the oil.

Nah. Oil wasn't discovered in Qatar until 1939, despite it falling into British Protectorate status int he breakup of the Ottoman Empire. Similarly Bahrain didn't have proven oil until 1931. Aside from that, both places had had a history of being distinct places during Ottoman and earlier times. Even Saudi Arabia itself hadn't had proven oil reserves until 1938, though searches for oil in Saudi Arabia in earnest had started as soon as Bahrain started producing.

The British refused to allow the Saudis to intrude too far on their protectorates after the 20s, thus ensuring they'd continue to still be outside of Saudi Arabia until they eventually got independence in the 70s. Several other Ottoman possessions on the Persian Gulf coast had successfully been invaded and seized by the Saudis before the "proper" British Protectorates could be established, and the Brits essentially decided to let that be.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thug Lessons posted:

Developing a living bond with an apex predator and participating in its hunts? No thats gay. I'd rather do something worthwhile like playing League of Legends and posting online about it.

Falcons ? Pffff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERFElbCBT90

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Thug Lessons posted:

Why do you get mad about this but not the Sunni who supports al-Qaeda and is an openly anti-Shia bigot

I don't get mad about genocidal salafists? Why do you make up things about me, a poster you have likely noticed for the very first time?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gimmick Account posted:

Did you miss the part where he said he doesn't like Assad's family?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/872241527325700096

Living in 21st century digital feudalism is super loving awesome you guys.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did you miss the part where he said he doesn't like Assad's family?

Yes, I must have missed that part, show it to me. And also please take a look at this and then tell me again I am wrong about this guy.

Treatment of Shia in Sunni-ruled countries is often quite horrible (Bahrain comes to mind, for a very recent example), but people like Piss de Bundy suddenly wrapping themselves in such humanitarian vocabulary just sets me off, I guess, because I know how they usually sound when it's their 'team' doing the torturing and killing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://syriadirect.org/news/in-recently-surrendered-damascus-suburb-rebel-fighter-stays-behind-%E2%80%98i-want-a-normal-life%E2%80%99/

quote:

An estimated 10,000 civilians, rebel fighters and their families began leaving the embattled northeast Damascus neighborhood of Barzeh one month ago under a surrender agreement handing the opposition-held district back to the Assad regime.

The evacuations north to the rebel bastion of Idlib province brought an end to nearly three months of regime siege and bombardment of Barzeh.

Absent from the regime’s evacuation buses was 35-year-old Abu a-Leith, a Free Syrian Army fighter since 2012 who decided to stay in Barzeh in exchange for making peace with the Syrian government and handing over his guns.

Today, a-Leith, his wife and four young sons remain in a neighborhood still surrounded on its perimeter by Assad’s forces. Movement both in and out of the district is severely restricted. Fruits, vegetables and bread—when available—are double the price they were before surrender, he says.

So what drove a longtime rebel fighter to face life in newly recaptured regime territory?

“I decided to stay so I could return to my life as a civilian and rid myself of a life of war,” he tells Syria Direct’s Alaa Rateb. “The commanders who were with us in the revolution left their principles behind when they surrendered Tishreen, Qaboun and Barzeh, which were for sale by the opposition.”

Q: How is life right now in Barzeh?

Difficult. Since the signing of the reconciliation agreement with the regime, only 1,000 packages of bread [roughly one kilo per package] entered the neighborhood [two weeks ago], and since then the regime hasn’t brought in anything.

[Ed.: Regime and rebel forces reached a truce deal in early May to evacuate rebel fighters, their families and willing residents from the district. Those leaving Barzeh on the regime’s buses headed to either rebel-held Idlib province in northwest Syria, or to Jarablus, a city in northern Syria currently under the control of Turkish-backed rebel factions.]

Right now, I’m unable to secure bread for my family. Even fruits and vegetables are unavailable, unless you’re buying from a trader for exorbitant prices. Other food prices have doubled, so all I have in my home is burghul [a relatively cheap grain].

Barzeh on Saturday. Photo courtesy of Lens Young Dimashqi.

Q: How did the regime treat you after it took control of Barzeh? Were residents allowed to come and go through the neighborhood?

Until now, the regime hasn’t entered Barzeh. They are staying at the perimeter of the district. So we haven’t had any scrapes with their soldiers yet.

Many of the fighters—including myself—who refused to evacuate within the terms of the agreement are reconciling [with the regime] and giving up our weapons.

But the regime has not allowed civilians who chose to stay in Barzeh to leave the neighborhood yet, and hasn’t allowed anyone from outside Barzeh to enter.

Q: Why didn’t you travel to Idlib with the other fighters?

I decided to stay so I could return to my life as a civilian and rid myself of a life of war. I want my children to live a normal life and finish their studies.

I didn’t go to Idlib because I have nobody over there, and if I ever wanted to emigrate to Turkey I would need to pay a large sum of money, which I just don’t have.

The commanders who were with us in the revolution left their principles behind when they surrendered Tishreen, Qaboun and Barzeh, which were for sale by the opposition.

I’m talking to you as a fighter: We were fighting with just light weaponry against tanks and airstrikes. I survived death and injury many times back then, and still didn’t surrender my gun.

Q: Do you regret staying in Barzeh, or do you think you made the right decision? What is your opinion on the Assad regime, after choosing to stay behind?

No, I don’t regret staying in Barzeh. The [opposition] commanders who left Barzeh were selling Syrian blood, and surrendered us fighters without guaranteeing our rights.

But I stayed in Barzeh for my children’s sake. They were barred from their right to an education—my 11-year-old son still cannot read or write. It is my children’s right to live a decent life after everything they have suffered through these past six years.

We lived through humiliation and dishonor. We’re disgusted by this life and just want to be done with everything.

Q: After everything you’ve been through, what is your opinion on the Syrian revolution?

There isn’t anything that can be called a “revolution” in Syria anymore. Rather, there are only those who sell the blood of their fellow Syrians. The fighters who left to Idlib are not honorable—they left their homes and revolutionary morals behind.

For six years and three months, I was a fighter in the ranks of the revolution and the Free Syrian Army. It’s an army that has sold itself out. In the beginning we liberated entire districts and neighborhoods, and we were fighting with simple shotguns.

Now that we do have heavy weapons, instead of liberating areas, we’ve started surrendering our neighborhoods. May God punish the commanders who surrendered our neighborhoods and allowed us to reach this point.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Oh, and just in case you think any of this Qatar stuff was pre-planned even slightly:
https://twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/872130756063186944

quote:

Just informed Senate Foreign Relations Chair Corker of what Trump tweeted about Qatar and was met with about 8 seconds of stunned silence

https://twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/872171667283480576

quote:

Just checked the tape: Low balled it. He was silent for a full 12 seconds
lol nope.

On that note:
https://twitter.com/Amb_AlThani/status/872249462894231552

quote:

Best not to judge countries by other people's comments.Reach out to them instead to confirm especially if they are your allies & friends 1/6
We stand firm with the United States in the fight against terrorism 2/6
We stand firm with the United States in stabilizing the region through unity 3/6
Qatar is a strong ally of the United States and we are proud to host US Central Command at Al Udeid Air Base 4/6
If legislators want information on Qatar's foreign policy, the best source is Qatar. 5/6
Our doors will always be open. 6/6
Qatari ambassador going the friendly route, also name-dropping Al Udeid Air Base.

I honestly have no loving clue what's going to happen with this going forward.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 7, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Saladin Rising posted:

I honestly have no loving clue what's going to happen with this going forward.

Neither does Trump.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Holy poo poo, read this list of demands being made of Qatar, it's insane. Two of the demands are to cease broadcasting Al Jazeera and to apologize to Gulf countries for abuses by Al Jazeera.

https://twitter.com/faisaledroos/status/872251817110806528

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Holy poo poo, read this list of demands being made of Qatar, it's insane. Two of the demands are to cease broadcasting Al Jazeera and to apologize to Gulf countries for abuses by Al Jazeera.

So the choices are to become completely subordinate to Saudi Arabia or throw in their lot with Iran. All because Trump's brain is so soft that the Saudis have realized how easy it was to nullify a potential American response.

Yet again, great job GOP base.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Sinteres posted:

And if they refuse?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
What is the "or else" that goes with these demands? Invasion? What happens in 24 hours?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

What is the "or else" that goes with these demands? Invasion? What happens in 24 hours?

Presumably they keep up their embargo of Qatar.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sure seems like regime change is the goal here, one way or another.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sinteres posted:

This is an incredibly vindictive list of demands and their insistence on harming Hamas really does lay bare how badly they want to sign peace treaties with Israel.

But it's also very much in their style, they never ever will allow any other centers of power in the region or any media abilities in the region other than what they want, they're not content with 90% they want ALL of it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Who would KSA put in charge? A Pakistani day-laborer?

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I have never studied Qatar but as a guess absolute sanctions and embargo would disrupt Qatari society and economy significantly, but give incentive for Qatar to align with Iran over this sort of treatment. Is that even possible considering geography and the size of Qatar? And would -that- trigger an invasion? This feels desperate just like Yemen, but unlike Yemen this seems to play to Saudis strengths. Unless it comes to an invasion ~_~ wtf 2017 you old bitch

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

This is an incredibly vindictive list of demands and their insistence on harming Hamas really does lay bare how badly they want to sign peace treaties with Israel.

My guess is that it ultimately has more to do with Egypt and Trump than Israel in a direct sense, but who knows. Israel sure was quick to say they agreed with what was going on yesterday.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Sinteres posted:

:stare:
This has now become the biggest diplomatic incident of Trump's administration in the space of less than 48 hours, it's loving nuts.

I had thought things would have leveled off a bit by now, but they just keep escalating.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Regional opportunistic Strongman tries to do lovely regional opportunistic strongman things.

The nebulous 'anti-gcc elements' bit is what gets me.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Saladin Rising posted:

:stare:
This has now become the biggest diplomatic incident of Trump's administration in the space of less than 48 hours, it's loving nuts.

I had thought things would have leveled off a bit by now, but they just keep escalating.

Agreed. To be honest it sounds like a prelude to an invasion. There don't seem to be any reports of troop movements in the area though, at least not in English yet.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm watching aljazeera, they're saying that the demands also include kicking out my favorite political scientist, Azmi Bishara, and Yusuf al Qaradawi as well as a number of editors of publications who escaped various regimes, all members of the muslim brotherhood, etc.

wow talk about hyper vindictiveness. This is really an all or nothing effort.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not give up on hosting the World Cup though?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Will iran do anything on qatars behalf?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Looks like Qatar's joining the propaganda war.

https://twitter.com/BaFana3/status/872146168058347520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Looks like Qatar's joining the propaganda war.

https://twitter.com/BaFana3/status/872146168058347520

what's the point of publishing all of this when all the opposition in all of these countries are already dead.

• Locked thread