Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pellisworth posted:

in all seriousness it's pretty worrying how much Russia can gently caress things up with a lil' bit of fake news

Oh yeah, I agree.

I mean, what's really hosed up about everything that's been happening is that the lines between reasonable concern and conspiracy theory are getting blurrier and blurrier, and it's not even clear anymore if it matters where one ends and the other begins. Maybe Trump's direct involvement with Russia is limited to campaign lackeys like Manafort and maybe Russian interference in the election didn't meaningfully change anything, but even if that's the case it's still leading to this fundamental distrust of our institutions that wasn't present a year ago. Hell, part of what makes this situation with Qatar so unnerving is that there's no apparent US government position or response outside of Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pellisworth posted:

in all seriousness it's pretty worrying how much Russia can gently caress things up with a lil' bit of fake news

Trump was right, fake news really IS the ultimate evil

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Why did everyone have to look up "humdinger" today? I understand if you're not from the US, but that is the only excuse! This has been the worst thing about today!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

skylined! posted:

you know the guy screaming about peckerwood or whatever

half of the debate was handel trying to tie ossoff to pelosi

<------ LOL what the gently caress ahahahahahahah

You're welcome.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

citybeatnik posted:

I dunno man, Carter's still out and about punching both cancer and parasitic worms in the face while being fueled by the power of peanuts and a non-rear end in a top hat version of evangelical faith.

The most depressing thing is that within a year of possible extinction they have started to find guinea worm infections in dogs.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kramdar posted:

Why did everyone have to look up "humdinger" today? I understand if you're not from the US, but that is the only excuse! This has been the worst thing about today!

cnn used it in a headline to describe comey's upcoming testimony to congress, and because all old-timey movies have been replaced with re-runs of spongebob narrated by drizzy no one knows what it means anymore

StealthArcher posted:

You're welcome.

i don't know what to say :allears:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

farraday posted:

Apparently Saudi Arabia has issued 10 demands to Qatar.

1. Immediately break diplomatic relations with Iran.
2. Expel all Hamas members.
3. Freeze bank accounts of Hamas members and stop dealing with them.
4. Expel all Muslim Brotherhood members from Qatar.
5. Expel anti-GCC elements.
6. End support of 'terrorist organisations.'
7. Stop interfering in Egyptian affairs.
8. Cease broadcasting the Al Jazeera news channel.
9. Apologise to all Gulf governments for 'abuses' by Al Jazeera.
10. Qatar must pledge that will not carry out any actions that contradict the policies of the GCC and adhere to its charter.

From an AJ reporter on twitter.

https://twitter.com/faisaledroos/status/872251817110806528

No pressure.

For comparison, here's the Austro-Hungarian ultimatum to Serbia at the start of WW1. Glad to see KSA stick to 10 points.

quote:

1. Suppress all publications which "incite hatred and contempt of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy" and are "directed against its territorial integrity".
2. Dissolve the Serbian nationalist organisation Narodna Odbrana ("The People's Defense") and all other such societies in Serbia.
3. Eliminate without delay from schoolbooks and public documents all "propaganda against Austria-Hungary".
4. Remove from the Serbian military and civil administration all officers and functionaries whose names the Austro-Hungarian Government will provide.
5. Accept in Serbia "representatives of the Austro-Hungarian Government" for the "suppression of subversive movements".
6. Bring to trial all accessories to the Archduke's assassination and allow "Austro-Hungarian delegates" (law enforcement officers) to take part in the investigations.
7. Arrest Major Vojislav Tankosić and civil servant Milan Ciganović who were named as participants in the assassination plot.
8. Cease the cooperation of the Serbian authorities in the "traffic in arms and explosives across the frontier"; dismiss and punish the officials of Šabac and Loznica frontier service, "guilty of having assisted the perpetrators of the Sarajevo crime".
9. Provide "explanations" to the Austro-Hungarian Government regarding "Serbian officials" who have expressed themselves in interviews "in terms of hostility to the Austro-Hungarian Government".
10. Notify the Austro-Hungarian Government "without delay" of the execution of the measures comprised in the ultimatum.

May it bring the Saudis the same fortune as the Hapsburgs...

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

whatever7 posted:

The fine is only 10% of the bribe? So it's just a transaction fee.
IIRC the $2500 was just a self-calculated tax he paid, and Trump repaid the $25,000 back to his charity. It was claimed to be an oversight.

New York AG Schneidermann has been looking into the Trump Foundation (which is shady as gently caress), but there hasn't been any news from his investigation lately.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

skylined! posted:

cnn used it in a headline to describe comey's upcoming testimony to congress, and because all old-timey movies have been replaced with re-runs of spongebob narrated by drizzy no one knows what it means anymore

i don't know what to say :allears:

I know it was used in the headline. I'm just saddened by the state of America.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Kramdar posted:

I know it was used in the headline. I'm just saddened by the state of America.

oh, yeah, that. well. i attribute it to baseball no longer being our true national pastime

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

farraday posted:

10. Qatar must pledge that will not carry out any actions that contradict the policies of the GCC and adhere to its charter.

No pressure.

Should we assume that they had the go-ahead to basically instigate military action on a neighbor after meeting with US warhawks who just offered to sell them lots of weapons?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Apparently Coats is testifying in open session at 10am tomorow? And then Comey on Thurs?

Should we have a standalone TV/IV thread for those?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

farraday posted:

No pressure.
Who let the Austro-Hungarians craft Saudi Arabia's foreign policy?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

remindes me of the Austria-Hungary ultimatum to Serbia. will probaly end same way.

The German Kaiser was on vacation at the time and when he was asked about Austria's ultimatum he was like "yea whatever it's fine, do whatever just stop asking me about it" so this checks out.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

farraday posted:

No pressure.

At least Serbia had 48 hours.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

God drat I am so glad that this is the thing most people seem to be taking away from the GA06 debate

https://twitter.com/wsbtv/status/872260372861943809

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

deep web creep posted:

God drat I am so glad that this is the thing most people seem to be taking away from the GA06 debate

She even says it's the fundamental difference between them right before she says it! It's insane.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

skylined! posted:

someone needs to make that one avatar pic but swap out emails/berniebros with "pelosi pelOSI PELOSI" and karen handel's face

Welcome, friend. We all float here.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

eggyolk posted:

Should we assume that they had the go-ahead to basically instigate military action on a neighbor after meeting with US warhawks who just offered to sell them lots of weapons?

The Saudis couldn't fight a war against anyone if they tried. Really, they buy all this serious hardware and never have the organizational structure to actually use it properly...and that's not even getting into the conversation of will to use it. If it does come to hostilities, I wonder who they'll try to hire to do it for them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

deep web creep posted:

If I sat around for hours trying to think of a dumber and easier to use as an attack ad soundbite, I do not know how I could come up with one.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

deep web creep posted:

Was there any context to this at all to make it seem less over the top? All of the clips I've seen are just the statement, which is hilarious and comes across as "I support literally killing the poor."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

The Saudis couldn't fight a war against anyone if they tried. Really, they buy all this serious hardware and never have the organizational structure to actually use it properly...and that's not even getting into the conversation of will to use it. If it does come to hostilities, I wonder who they'll try to hire to do it for them.

Trump said he's sick of getting ripped off by NATO and other security leeches, so they could go ahead and hire the US military.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Paradoxish posted:

Was there any context to this at all to make it seem less over the top? All of the clips I've seen are just the statement, which is hilarious and comes across as "I support literally killing the poor."

It's followed by 'I want to lower taxes instead' but it comes as she responds to Ossof saying he supports raising wages to livable levels.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Freudian slip from "minimum wage" most likely, which is also not good to just verbally come out against at a debate at this point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

JBP posted:

Trump said he's sick of getting ripped off by NATO and other security leeches, so they could go ahead and hire the US military.

Without realizing it Trump somehow starts the second civil war.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

the question was regarding raising the minimum wage, iirc

ossoff gave a fairly thoughtful response about raising the minimum wage to a livable wage, and doing something to help businesses adjust(?)

handel literally said she did not support a livable wage, the end (and ya something about not raising taxes but who the gently caress is gonna remember that)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Karen Handel is that terrible aunt you have who has at least 4 bumperstickers and talks about sweet baby jesus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Paradoxish posted:

Kinsley gaffe

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

Without realizing it Trump somehow starts the second civil war.

Does this mean in a hundred years there will be statues of Steve bannon all over Louisiana or is that inevitable anyway

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Karen Handel is that terrible aunt you have who has at least 4 bumperstickers

she said at least three times that she will not be lectured by ossoff, and also played the "i have been doing this longer than you have been alive" card

you know, the person no one can stand at all. so filled with self-righteous indignation that if only it were accompanied by an actual good opinion may be worth something, but alas

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

theres a will theres moe posted:

Does this mean in a hundred years there will be statues of Steve bannon all over Louisiana or is that inevitable anyway

Don't worry, thanks to climate change in a hundred years there won't be a Louisiana.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Obama might be the first US President who becomes more powerful after his presidency. I think stuff like the video in support of Macron is a sign of things to come. Trump might be President. Obama is still a leader if not the leader.

He's young for a statesman in a time of crisis-opportunity. He has plenty of time and potential for a Napoleonic return.

James Mattis might be the first US President who was more powerful before his presidency. Him and Joe Washington.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

farraday posted:

No pressure.

It's cool, Qatar has a plan

https://twitter.com/BaFana3/status/872146168058347520

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2 Karen Handel yard signs appeared in my neighborhood over the last week, an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood.

We're not even in GA-6. (We're in GA-5)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

skylined! posted:

the question was regarding raising the minimum wage, iirc

ossoff gave a fairly thoughtful response about raising the minimum wage to a livable wage, and doing something to help businesses adjust(?)

handel literally said she did not support a livable wage, the end (and ya something about not raising taxes but who the gently caress is gonna remember that)

God I love Republicans, although I'm not sure that it tops this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3Px11xN-0

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Paradoxish posted:

Or... what? This list is vindictive as poo poo and there's no way it's happening, let alone in 24 hours. What the hell is the endgame for the Saudis here?

This means war.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

deep web creep posted:

I told y'all she was a weak candidate.

Kramdar posted:

Ned Flanders is the only person to use that word within the past six decades.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Nah economic sanction comes after this. Saudi Arabia will demand couch cushion money and Qatar will give them 1 billion dollars. Then it will be over.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theres a will theres moe posted:

Please, please no, bring back the other white supremacist statues, please god just not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Karen Handel is loving garbage.

She still will probably win.

• Locked thread