Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
do the mouse and the teenager sta yfriends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i dont know what book you're talking about im just invested in the relationship

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

chernobyl kinsman posted:

do the mouse and the teenager sta yfriends

I think they do, but I don't remember much more than what I have written.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There's something Pratchettesque about the mice interPreting the road as a dangerous river

Doesnt ring a bell though

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

There's something Pratchettesque about the mice interPreting the road as a dangerous river

Doesnt ring a bell though

It's not The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, which I've read more recently (around 10 years ago).

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

:same: I need closure!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

navyjack posted:

:same: I need closure!

I said I don't remember!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Jimmy! A voice rings out.

Jimmy doesnt give a gently caress, hes got his mice friends down by the dark river. Sitting at the shore, he hums and throws out the line from his homemade huckleberry finn fishing rod. Today I'll catch a flounder, he laughs to his mousen friends. The mice laugh in a micen choir.

The fishing line moves oddly though, almost as if thrown from side to side, quickly and suddenly and finally.

Jimmy sniffs and confers with his gnomish friends. Throw it further they cry in unison! Yes, that must be the solution, Jimmy thinks & casts the line further onto the deadly road.

There were no mice and Jimmy is no more.

Is that it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

Is that it?

Noo.... :raise:

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Flowers for Algernon lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Flowers for Algernon lol

Nope.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
does this help

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A teenager befriends an escaped intelligent rat or mouse. The rodent has this story about a horrible black river with monsters on it; we later discover that the river is a road, and the monsters are vehicles, like the teenager's motorcycle, which makes the rodent reassess their friendship with the teenager. Must have read this 20-30 years ago.

This is not Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, although it does involve rats or mice made intelligent by some lab experiment, and it's not The Mouse and the Motorcycle, although it does feature a rodent and a motorcycle.

This reminds me of (but probably isn't the same book as) a book I read from the school library, in about the same time period, titled (I think) "Hello, my name is ____" -- those being the first words the mouse speaks to the kid it befriends. I forget what name goes in the ____, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

No, it was more of a young adult one.

ToxicFrog posted:

This reminds me of (but probably isn't the same book as) a book I read from the school library, in about the same time period, titled (I think) "Hello, my name is ____" -- those being the first words the mouse speaks to the kid it befriends. I forget what name goes in the ____, though.

You don't mean this, do you? That's not mine, no.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A teenager befriends an escaped intelligent rat or mouse. The rodent has this story about a horrible black river with monsters on it; we later discover that the river is a road, and the monsters are vehicles, like the teenager's motorcycle, which makes the rodent reassess their friendship with the teenager. Must have read this 20-30 years ago.

This is not Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, although it does involve rats or mice made intelligent by some lab experiment, and it's not The Mouse and the Motorcycle, although it does feature a rodent and a motorcycle.

I am Leaper by Annabel Johnson.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

instantrunoffvote posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it! Thanks! Guess you were on the right track, ToxicFrog. Never should had doubted you!

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
If someone figures this out, I will....do things. :ninja:

So almost 12-13 (2004-2005) years ago I started reading a book, I think it would probably have been considered a crime fiction or legal fiction type book. I've Google'ed over the years the rough outline I knew but have had no success. I never finished the book, so I don't have a lot of details. From what I recall, it was probably from one of the "big" or known authors in those genres -- Turow, Patterson, etc. definitely not a Grisham. I was reading it in Wyoming jail while there on a marijuana charge, so usually the books there tended to be from the mass-printed variety with big name authors. The plot involved a big heroin bust, something to do with Chinatown or the Chinese community, I remember one character was like a respectable Chinatown businessman/woman who was somehow involved in the heroin bust, although likely from the supply side rather than street level. I'm pretty sure part of the book was involving the prosecution of the case. Also, if I recall correctly, the cover was mainly in black and red, with perhaps a gold medallion type imagery on it?

The man/woman may have also been a snakehead/smuggler type character in the book as well but not positive on this.

I know this is really short on details, but I fortunately got released shortly after starting it, but I had really got in to it at the time and it wasn't until years later I started thinking of trying to find it and finish it, with no luck. I remember being pretty engrossed in the book.

Would very much appreciate any help or suggestions.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 30, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i've got one from, maybe primary school? somewhere in the 90s.

it starts with a caveman finding a hole in the ground and dropping some stone rocks down it. the rocks never hit bottom; it is an endless hole that opens into the abyss. then story follows a society as it develops from those cavemen to hyperadvanced space people or whatever, all the while making use of the hole to dump increasingly dangerous garbage: first all of its litter and castoffs and finally nuclear waste. the story ends with a man walking down the street of his future-city when a rock falls out of the sky and hits him, thus making a ham-fisted point about how hiding nuclear waste somewhere today is just making it tomorrow's problem.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

i've got one from, maybe primary school? somewhere in the 90s.

it starts with a caveman finding a hole in the ground and dropping some stone rocks down it. the rocks never hit bottom; it is an endless hole that opens into the abyss. then story follows a society as it develops from those cavemen to hyperadvanced space people or whatever, all the while making use of the hole to dump increasingly dangerous garbage: first all of its litter and castoffs and finally nuclear waste. the story ends with a man walking down the street of his future-city when a rock falls out of the sky and hits him, thus making a ham-fisted point about how hiding nuclear waste somewhere today is just making it tomorrow's problem.

That's "He-y, Come on Ou-t" by Shinichi Hoshi. It is a Japanese science fiction short story. One of my favs

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

failing forward posted:

That's "He-y, Come on Ou-t" by Shinichi Hoshi. It is a Japanese science fiction short story. One of my favs

Unreal. You're an angel. And I've just re-read it and it's much better and more nuanced than I remember it being, so apologies for relying on my judgments from ~20 years ago.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

instantrunoffvote posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it! Thanks! Guess you were on the right track, ToxicFrog. Never should had doubted you!

Goddamn, that's the one! I thought I remembered it having that 90s as hell computer font on the cover, but I couldn't remember anything else about the cover art.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey! I'm trying to remember a series of crime novels. Standard crime fiction, starring a police officer or detective of some sort. It's pretty forgettable, except one of the side characters is a fat, gross cop who is a vile racist, misogynist and generally an all around jerk, except his misanthropy is so universal that it becomes sort of endearing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Could it be the Heironymous Bosch series?

There is a fat gross cop but idr if he's the caliber of rear end in a top hat you're describing, been a long time since I read the books and there's a ton of detective novel series out there.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

life is killing me posted:

Could it be the Heironymous Bosch series?

There is a fat gross cop but idr if he's the caliber of rear end in a top hat you're describing, been a long time since I read the books and there's a ton of detective novel series out there.

I think that may be it! Thanks.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think that may be it! Thanks.

Stick around because I may be wrong--again there are a ton of these kinds of series.

Bosch is probably the most well-known right now because it's been adapted to TV on amazon prime (it's really good and you should check it out if you're into detective novels and have prime) but that doesn't make me correct in my guess

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I actually suspected it might be Bosch but dismissed it, figuring I only remembered the series because I like the painter.

That's an interesting choice for a tv series. I'll have to check it out, if only to see how they pronounce Hieronymous :v:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I actually suspected it might be Bosch but dismissed it, figuring I only remembered the series because I like the painter.

That's an interesting choice for a tv series. I'll have to check it out, if only to see how they pronounce Hieronymous :v:

They mostly just pronounce it "Harry," but occasionally say the full name.

It really is a good TV series, it captures the feel of the novels and just generally feels noir; it's well- scripted, acted and produced. Titus Welliver plays Bosch, and Bosch is A Loose Cannon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hey! I'm trying to remember a series of crime novels. Standard crime fiction, starring a police officer or detective of some sort. It's pretty forgettable, except one of the side characters is a fat, gross cop who is a vile racist, misogynist and generally an all around jerk, except his misanthropy is so universal that it becomes sort of endearing.

If it's not Bosch, I think it's probably Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series. In the later books, McBain introduced a recurring detective named Fat Ollie Weeks, who fits the personality outline you give to a T.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I read one last year probably that I can't remember. All I can remember is there was a scene at the ending climax where the protagonist was on an island digging up some arm that was buried because that's what the NYPD? do if it's a John doe body part, and there was a big storm going on I think. I recall he had to avoid boats and poo poo to get onto the island.

I can't recall anything else about the plot though. There​ was a fight on some abandoned school roof or something because some evil guy wanted to stop him from getting the arm? I'm pretty sure the bad guy got squished by a falling building of some sort.

Anyway, probably published in the last few years, and was more than likely an ebook.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Probably from the 80's, a Micheal Crichtonesque sci-fi thriller set in the cold war about attempts to develop psychic weapons. I think the US version was a person, but the Russian one was a machine, perhaps referred to as a tokamek? A couple of cities were destroyed near the end I think. Had the word Star in the title?

This might be the same book: a company attempts to use subliminal messages to control the population of a small town, I remember it working very well?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

yaffle posted:

Probably from the 80's, a Micheal Crichtonesque sci-fi thriller set in the cold war about attempts to develop psychic weapons. I think the US version was a person, but the Russian one was a machine, perhaps referred to as a tokamek? A couple of cities were destroyed near the end I think. Had the word Star in the title?

This might be the same book: a company attempts to use subliminal messages to control the population of a small town, I remember it working very well?

First one Star Fire by Ingo Swann?

Second Night Chills by Dean Koontz?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No idea on the books, but if it helps, a tokamak is a somewhat lovely fusion reactor design that's prone to stability problems.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Runcible Cat posted:

First one Star Fire by Ingo Swann?

Second Night Chills by Dean Koontz?

Yes! the first one is spot on, not so sure about night chills, but I was reading all the Koontz I could find around that time, so probably.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

From an old post on a blog about bad/funny book covers:
http://judgeabook.blogspot.com/2010/02/outside-looking-in.html

quote:

Many years ago, while in a college cultural anthropology class, I read several articles designed to demonstrate that looking at a culture from the outside often gives a distorted picture of that culture or people. My favorite example was Body Ritual Among the Nacirema, a facinating look from the late '50s at a culture - familiar to most of us - from the point of view of someone completely unfamiliar with said culture. I highly recommend reading it (and let me know if you can't identify the people being discussed). In that same class, we read another essay that purported to be an extraterrestrial's view of Human society, indicating how Humans worship balls of all sorts. Our television and in-person gatherings are often devoted to balls, as is a large percentage of time and/or space on our news-dissemination services. In fact, there's apparently one ball-focused gathering that takes place on a particular Sunday in February when millions upon millions of Humans from all over the world (although most particularly in the central part of the North American continent) stop all other life activities and worship a brown oblong ball and the priests who are permitted to handle it. Facinating. (I tried to find the essay for you, but googling "worship" and "balls" doesn't really give the result I was looking for - don't try it at work!)

Anyone here know the title/author of the "ball worship" essay?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

yaffle posted:

Yes! the first one is spot on, not so sure about night chills, but I was reading all the Koontz I could find around that time, so probably.

I know this one also.. They use the technique to make a man enjoy vegetables and say his prayers even though he is a life long atheist? Koontz I'm sure.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

loving Koontz. I remember reading one of his books, can't recall the name but at one point a woman is paralyzed by some monster and goes insane with fear when it mouthrapes her and shoots it load down her throat and its all lovingly detailed and thorough :catstare:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've read most of his work (gave up about mid frankenstein series though) and I don't recall that. Chances are I've blocked it from my memory.

Dude wrote some amazing novels, but when he hosed up, boy did he gently caress up.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I probably asked about this before and forgot like the retard I am, but here goes:

I do remember reading this in high school like 15 years ago.

Sort of a spy-thriller novel - maybe part of a series?

Starts out with investigating a toxic spill of some lethal chemical in the ocean - which is traced to a wreckage. Main character's girlfriend dies when she tears her hazard suit.

There's a big plot involving kidnapping the president and either replacing him with a clone or brainwashing him - I cannot recall which. What I do recall is that he is kidnapped aboard his yacht, but the evil guys sink the sister yacht in an attempt to throw off searchers making them think the pres died instead.

I'm pretty sure the final showdown is between the main character and some crazy old asian lady - possibly in the world trade center? - and that he ends up pushing her down the elevator shaft (in her wheelchair). Also the protag's buddy gets chopped up by a security laser thing here.

I could also be insane and just mixing together multiple novels? Hopefully not. I remember this one being fun and dumb and want to read it again.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

I probably asked about this before and forgot like the retard I am, but here goes:

I do remember reading this in high school like 15 years ago.

Sort of a spy-thriller novel - maybe part of a series?

Starts out with investigating a toxic spill of some lethal chemical in the ocean - which is traced to a wreckage. Main character's girlfriend dies when she tears her hazard suit.

There's a big plot involving kidnapping the president and either replacing him with a clone or brainwashing him - I cannot recall which. What I do recall is that he is kidnapped aboard his yacht, but the evil guys sink the sister yacht in an attempt to throw off searchers making them think the pres died instead.

I'm pretty sure the final showdown is between the main character and some crazy old asian lady - possibly in the world trade center? - and that he ends up pushing her down the elevator shaft (in her wheelchair). Also the protag's buddy gets chopped up by a security laser thing here.

I could also be insane and just mixing together multiple novels? Hopefully not. I remember this one being fun and dumb and want to read it again.

Not that this will be helpful in any way, but it sounds like a bizarre mix of Crichton and Ludlum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If there's a helpful dog, it's Koontz.

If not, sorrry.