Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
FYI Deep Strange Journey is being localized as Strange Journey Redux and will be releasing early 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

FYI Deep Strange Journey is being localized as Strange Journey Redux and will be releasing early 2018.

Ah, 2018 the year when we finally update to the brand new system the 3DS

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Pureauthor posted:

That's great news but do you have a source?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is it even released in japan yet?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ah, great, I guess they're confirmed for an EU release some time in 2025 then.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lemon-Lime posted:

Ah, great, I guess they're confirmed for an EU release some time in 2025 then.

It's been way better since Deep Silver has taken over the reigns.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
On the one hand, Europe got neither of these things originally so that dampers my optimism somewhat.

On the other hand, the "Europe gets ridiculous delays and shoddy ports at best" meme is fairly played out and not really true any more...

...Mostly. Devil Survivor Overclocked was still relatively recent...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Someone ask Deep Silver if they'll be publishing them both in Europe.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I did send a question, but Deep Silver do have a booth at E3 and a Nintendo spotlight on the 13th of June.

They might or might not answer until then.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh maybe it'll be announced at the spotlight on the 13th then.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I can't believe I'm gonna buy a 3DS game in the year of our Lord twenty and eighteen.

It's gonna be $50 isn't it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I would have be pretty blown away by the new content in Strange Journey for me to want to replay that. I liked that game fine enough but it's in that Soul Hackers bin of Atlus games that upon finishing I had no desire to revisit.

Is EOV considered a major step up from IV? IV is the only one I've played and I enjoyed it quite a bit but maybe not enough to want to go out and play every game in the franchise, but if V has lots of new bells and whistles I could be pretty easily convinced.

Radiant Historia I'll probably get just for principle in the vain, ill conceived hope that it'll convince Atlus to make a proper sequel.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I didn't think of it till I saw the trailer but a Strange Journey updated release means a remastered OST and suddenly I'm sold.
Well, maybe after the Atlus tax has decreased a bit...

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The Machine posted:

I can't believe I'm gonna buy a 3DS game in the year of our Lord twenty and eighteen.

It's gonna be $50 isn't it.

I mean, I bought a new PS2 game in TYOOL 2009 so it isnt that far off from Atlus has done in the past.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

All indications is that the 3 games are USD 40.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

They'll be €20 when they're released in Europe, e-Shop only, in 2021.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Don Gato posted:

I mean, I bought a new PS2 game in TYOOL 2009 so it isnt that far off from Atlus has done in the past.

Remember that they were gonna release Persona 5 as a PS3 only game

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I did it, I'm on the neutral path in SMTIV! Tetrakarn made that Kenji fight hilarious.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
After bouncing off both games for years something finally clicked and now I am fully enjoying Devil Survivor 1 and 2 (the 3DS remakes). The people who say 2 has the worse story, however, were absolutely not kidding (also there are way too many characters, although I have saved everyone so maybe if I hadn't it wouldn't feel that way).

Jungo is excellent.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pureauthor posted:

All indications is that the 3 games are USD 40.

Can I get a discount when I buy all three?

(It'll be $15 'Tendo cash, won't it?)

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
As much as I like both DeSu games (first game has waaaaay better tone), I never quite "got" them I think, I just barely get by, win with my last guy standing and no demons to spare. Actually, never did beat either. Got far but late game bs had me put both down.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
DS2's plot is quite crap though I like the dudes's designs and Airi.

It's like evangelion but bad and more anime jokes.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Also bunny hood protag best protag in all SMT games, even persona 5.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Do you recall where you stopped DeSu1? The back to back Jezebel/Belzaboul/Belberith maps are understandably a big increase in difficulty, to say nothing about the final boss.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I actually just started playing DS2. I got it on the DS a long time ago and I'm replaying it so I can remember everything before I play the new arc.

Is it just me, or is the translation different? Characters are saying stuff that I do not remember them saying. It's nothing terrible, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I kind of want to compare the two versions.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

BrightWing posted:

As much as I like both DeSu games (first game has waaaaay better tone), I never quite "got" them I think, I just barely get by, win with my last guy standing and no demons to spare. Actually, never did beat either. Got far but late game bs had me put both down.

The things that helped me, finally, were a) I finally internalized (through playing a ton of other MegaTen games) the Always Be Fusing mantra and b), related, you should always be buying new demons at the auction but not through the 'Buy Now' option because this will run you out of macca way too fast and then you'll feel like you have to grind. The first time I played them I was Buying Now all the time and only didn't have a lot of back-up demons, which can be helpful in fights where you have no Recarm options and your demons eat an unlucky round (even a scrub-tier, moderately equivalent leveled demon is better than nothing in that slot). If you just auction normally you have a ton of fusion fodder and back-up options and still have money left over to spare to pull something awesome out of the Compendium or do the rare Buy Now on a 5-star demon you don't want to leave to RNG.

(Overpowered, unkillable MC with high MAG, Holy Dance + Drain + other elemental Dance, Anti-Most + Phys Null/Repel + Battle Dance helps too, but having good teams means the other teams can contribute easily as well, I rarely lose whole teams even if the MC is making GBS threads out way more damage.)

Edit:

Tired Moritz posted:

DS2's plot is quite crap though I like the dudes's designs and Airi.

It's like evangelion but bad and more anime jokes.

Yeah, it's got way more ~wacky~ humor than I'm used to in a (non-Persona) MegaTen game. Also while most other games have ending routes where you can at least kind of sort of see where the other people are coming from, Yamato is a total rear end in a top hat and I can see no feasible reason, even if you thought his way of thinking was right, why you would side with him just because he has been an insufferable prick since Day One.

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I want a DS3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Devil Survivor is at its heart almost a puzzle game, where you try out a map to get a feel for its pecularities, and when you presumably fail you go back and get to fusin' to figure out what pieces you need to get through. Maybe you need an Avian with Flight, or the ability to snipe enemies with Evil/Chaos Wave, or something to swap vulnerable NPCs out of harm's way. So yeah you go through it by basically changing your loadout after every single mission.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RickDaedalus posted:

I actually just started playing DS2. I got it on the DS a long time ago and I'm replaying it so I can remember everything before I play the new arc.

Is it just me, or is the translation different? Characters are saying stuff that I do not remember them saying. It's nothing terrible, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I kind of want to compare the two versions.

They either retranslated RB or they at least touched up the original translation. Ronaldo now calling his mentor "Senpai" and the MC not going "AWWWWW YEEEAAAH" for that one choice on Day 2 are the two examples that come immediately to mind.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
yeah the 3ds translation is loving poo poo

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They changed Yamato saying "May the war gods be with you" to something lame, so gently caress them.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Uhh, I ended up on the Naoya (the creepy cousin dude) and can't beat like the penultimate fight, the one right after one of the bels in that one lady's head. I did keep a save at the big choice though, maybe go back, grind some, do a different path just to say I beat it.

E: I do remember I ducked up and let teacher lady and Keisuke die, so that's not helping.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For Devil Survivor 1, when in doubt load up on demons with Holy Dance and Drain.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BrightWing posted:

Uhh, I ended up on the Naoya (the creepy cousin dude) and can't beat like the penultimate fight, the one right after one of the bels in that one lady's head. I did keep a save at the big choice though, maybe go back, grind some, do a different path just to say I beat it.

E: I do remember I ducked up and let teacher lady and Keisuke die, so that's not helping.

i killed haru, mari, and keisuke, all so i could go down yuzu 's route in the dramatically appropriate way

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is DeSu 2 the only time in the SMT franchise where you fight aliens? (Were the bad guys aliens? I thought they were)

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

i killed haru, mari, and keisuke, all so i could go down yuzu 's route in the dramatically appropriate way

I did the Yuzu route and the final battle went hilariously wrong for me, with the MC getting merked off of a bad round. I thought I would play it out, and it ended up being Yuzu alone against three or so enemy groups, but since she had either a Dragon or a Vile (been a bit so I don't remember specifically) she just attacked from range, and the final angels spent most of their actions draining MP instead of actually attacking. Yuzu saved the day :unsmith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is DeSu 2 the only time in the SMT franchise where you fight aliens? (Were the bad guys aliens? I thought they were)

Well they're mostly agents of Polaris so

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mraagvpeine posted:

They're named after/supposed to be the stars that make up the Big Dipper (and Triangulum adds the Great Diamond for good measure), and also Alcor is there, so kind of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
The dub is alright so far. I think I might prefer the original DS version though. I made up voices for all the characters and now they don't sound like how I think they would. I just got to day three so I'll see if it holds up or if there's a sudden drop in quality.