Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Would it be against the rules to make a save file just before heading into the canal to speed things up? I imagine most people will be doing this.

The only real downside is that you won't be able to give Bartz a new silly name on every run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I thought of a fun game. Play along, thread! :)

:toxx: I'll buy a forums upgrade (or, if the winner so chooses, donate :10bux::10bux: to Child's Play) for whoever guesses the winning time for this year's Run, under the following rules:

- We're operating under reversed Price Is Right rules, so the winning guess will be the closest without going under;
- Guesses to be made before The Run starts;
- Multiple guesses allowed;
- Each guess costs $1, to be paid towards the Zerk Fund (i.e.: donating to Child's Play in the name of the FJF). I'm not going to ask for proof, I'm calling honour code on this one: I know goons will be goons, but I hope none of you will stiff a charity.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What is the absolute worst party you could get and still pull a Triple Crown?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The worst Triple Crown run I did was the one where I couldn't stunlock Omega and relied on Red Mage Thundara for damage [just looked it up, Sam Nin Sam Rdm] . Trident jump is up there as well.

A Bard with the rest of the party being pulled from Bard, Thief, Geo would be technically guaranteed but such a pain in the rear end.

derra fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 7, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Define worst. I had a team of Geomancer/Geomancer/Red Mage/Time Mage last year. It was a completely horrid team saved only by the Time Mage. I quickleaked both Omega and Shinryu, but I wasn't proud of it.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Yeah, even if a class is bad for TC you'd still have to consider the value they have on the rest of the run, say even though a Berserker will take you to Omega Counter Hell they've probably been pretty useful over the run overall.

Based on that I'm gonna say it's probably GEO/GEO/GEO/TIM.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I would posit that the Bard/Bard/Bard/Time Mage I did to a triple crown was probably worse than the proposed Geo/Geo/Geo/Time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ber/zer/ker/time

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

So since it looks like my job choices are probably going to stand even after basically flushing 80% of the votes down the shitter. I'm going to try to think of a bonus incentive I can throw at the run. Any ideas? I was thinking bonus donation for each boss killed by bearaga, but that might be overly tedious (that or bankrupt me if I'm not careful...)

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

The only real downside is that you won't be able to give Bartz a new silly name on every run.

I'm perfectly okay with every run as the hero FARTZ and his friends. I also like having 99 potions without having to grind them every time.

Bruceski posted:

This is what Chaos No750 gives you. Save yourself!

I see no problems here whatsoever.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

InfernoBlade posted:

So since it looks like my job choices are probably going to stand even after basically flushing 80% of the votes down the shitter. I'm going to try to think of a bonus incentive I can throw at the run. Any ideas? I was thinking bonus donation for each boss killed by bearaga, but that might be overly tedious (that or bankrupt me if I'm not careful...)

Bonus for killing NeD with a Goblin (punch) in memoriam DDarch

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

dis astranagant posted:

ber/zer/ker/time

Can you even quickleak the sand worm though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Can't have Quick so it doesn't matter :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I did two regular runs last time. This year, I'm mixing it up!

I don't know what any of this is going to do, but let's fuckin' do this poo poo!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Asked before, but what the best translation these days for the SNES release? I know the RPGe one is the original one that been around for about twenty years, but I saw a patch last year that suppose to update it, probably getting the names to match the GBA translation.

Honestly wish someone just backport the GBA translation to the SNES version instead but that probably not happening.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I updated my run, it was random but now I've added BERSERKERRISK to it. I'm definitely going to regret this.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mikl posted:

I updated my run, it was random but now I've added BERSERKERRISK to it. I'm definitely going to regret this.

:shrug: Berserker's are perfectly fine when you've only got one or maybe two of them. Worst case, you have to KO it for a battle so you can learn blue magic or catch a monster or something. It's having 4 of them/having only them available that's the big problem.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rirse posted:

Asked before, but what the best translation these days for the SNES release? I know the RPGe one is the original one that been around for about twenty years, but I saw a patch last year that suppose to update it, probably getting the names to match the GBA translation.

Honestly wish someone just backport the GBA translation to the SNES version instead but that probably not happening.

The overhaul didn't even do that much, actually. It's basically indistinguishable from the RPGe translation aside from a few minor cleanups.

As for backporting the GBA translation, that's likely not going to happen. There's the technical barriers, for one. FFV's text is all stored uncompressed. Meaning, one character is one byte. The GBA translation is a lot more wordy and thus would require more space. That alone isn't an insurmountable problem: modern emulators can handle SNES roms of quite large size. However, you'd have to move text into that new space and then repoint everything. Again, that's not impossible, nor does it require any special romhacking skills. A knowledge of how to use a hex editor and how SNES pointers (and pointers in general) work would be all that's required. No, the trouble would be the tedium. You'd have to check every single line of dialogue and every single incidental monster attack to be sure you didn't mess up a pointer location or forget an EOL character and cause everything to break. That's not only a long process, but it's a boring long process.

The bigger barrier is the ethical one. Note, I don't say legal: romhacking is a legal gray area as it is and I'm not qualified to comment on it. So, we're talking an ethical issue. That is, there are a few unspoken rules about romhacks. One of them is only distributing original work, and not any of the original creator's. Somewhere between RPGe deciding to use "Blow Fish" for 1000 Needles (for recognizability because that's what the most recent mainline game did) and taking the entire rewritten English script of FFV and handing out your own derivation of it there's a line you're crossing, and it's not a line that ought to be crossed. If people want the GBA translation, then they should go play that one (or dump the script and insert it themselves). Not everyone will necessarily agree on the finer points of this last note, but the general principle holds: make your own hack, don't just copy someone else's work.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I am ready.

Leofish posted:

I did two regular runs last time. This year, I'm mixing it up!

I don't know what any of this is going to do, but let's fuckin' do this poo poo!

:hf:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Chaos Fifth Risk, penta zerkers here I come!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just as a note for current numbers: we are at 726 'zerkers in the tree, and 490 riskers. Which means that unless things change, every risker will have at least 1 guaranteed, and most will have 2 guaranteed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That also doesn't consider the number of Normal Riskers, who can't get two or more berserkers and effectively reduce the numbers by 1 each, increasing density for non-normal riskers.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Can you change your pre-reg by re-tweeting giglabot?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

InfernoBlade posted:

Let me just make a polite request here to please not add any incentives to the run that would actually extend its playtime. The bearaga thing would essentially mean that the 'winner' would be whoever doesn't do that extra task, which of course means everyone would do it in every possible case because nobody wants to be the guy who dicked over a charity to win. But honestly the run takes long enough as it is and the fiesta doesn't start until it's over, so making it any longer isn't really fun for anyone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yep, at any time until the Fiesta proper starts.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Ali Aces posted:

Let me just make a polite request here to please not add any incentives to the run that would actually extend its playtime. The bearaga thing would essentially mean that the 'winner' would be whoever doesn't do that extra task, which of course means everyone would do it in every possible case because nobody wants to be the guy who dicked over a charity to win. But honestly the run takes long enough as it is and the fiesta doesn't start until it's over, so making it any longer isn't really fun for anyone.

If this was your goal you should've spoken up before the five thousand dollar donation that mandated 4 tablets

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Trasson posted:

The overhaul didn't even do that much, actually. It's basically indistinguishable from the RPGe translation aside from a few minor cleanups.

As for backporting the GBA translation, that's likely not going to happen. There's the technical barriers, for one. FFV's text is all stored uncompressed. Meaning, one character is one byte. The GBA translation is a lot more wordy and thus would require more space. That alone isn't an insurmountable problem: modern emulators can handle SNES roms of quite large size. However, you'd have to move text into that new space and then repoint everything. Again, that's not impossible, nor does it require any special romhacking skills. A knowledge of how to use a hex editor and how SNES pointers (and pointers in general) work would be all that's required. No, the trouble would be the tedium. You'd have to check every single line of dialogue and every single incidental monster attack to be sure you didn't mess up a pointer location or forget an EOL character and cause everything to break. That's not only a long process, but it's a boring long process.

The bigger barrier is the ethical one. Note, I don't say legal: romhacking is a legal gray area as it is and I'm not qualified to comment on it. So, we're talking an ethical issue. That is, there are a few unspoken rules about romhacks. One of them is only distributing original work, and not any of the original creator's. Somewhere between RPGe deciding to use "Blow Fish" for 1000 Needles (for recognizability because that's what the most recent mainline game did) and taking the entire rewritten English script of FFV and handing out your own derivation of it there's a line you're crossing, and it's not a line that ought to be crossed. If people want the GBA translation, then they should go play that one (or dump the script and insert it themselves). Not everyone will necessarily agree on the finer points of this last note, but the general principle holds: make your own hack, don't just copy someone else's work.

That true. I imagine if it anyone made one, it would be like the hack for FF6 GBA where they combined the GBA script with elements of the old SNES script.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

oldskool posted:

If this was your goal you should've spoken up before the five thousand dollar donation that mandated 4 tablets

:stonk: Without a white mage, gently caress that.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just as a note for current numbers: we are at 726 'zerkers in the tree, and 490 riskers. Which means that unless things change, every risker will have at least 1 guaranteed, and most will have 2 guaranteed.

Welp, see ya at SandWormFort :shepface:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

oldskool posted:

Watching them figure out how to handle rugwizard can be interesting, but honestly, yeah I would rather that not be a mandate, or maybe have a $10k mark that says they don't have to do that anymore. But that's not my decision.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
give me that 5 zerker run!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm fine adding another hour or two to the run if it means more money for charity.

Plus half the time RK doesn't start things on time anyway.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Mega64 posted:

I'm fine adding another hour or two to the run if it means more money for charity.

So am I. Fortunately that's not actually the choice.

I'm only saying that if someone's coming up with inventive incentives for donation, they ideally should look for things that don't make it more of a slog than it already is.

How bout this: Keep zerky alive. Donate some amount for every boss battle won without the berzerker ever dying, or starting off dead or incapacitated. Double it for wormboss.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 7, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

That also doesn't consider the number of Normal Riskers, who can't get two or more berserkers and effectively reduce the numbers by 1 each, increasing density for non-normal riskers.

Let's hope this means 2017 will bring us another chosen one :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Trasson posted:

Somewhere between RPGe deciding to use "Blow Fish" for 1000 Needles (for recognizability because that's what the most recent mainline game did) and taking the entire rewritten English script of FFV and handing out your own derivation of it there's a line you're crossing, and it's not a line that ought to be crossed. If people want the GBA translation, then they should go play that one (or dump the script and insert it themselves). Not everyone will necessarily agree on the finer points of this last note, but the general principle holds: make your own hack, don't just copy someone else's work.

I mean, there's a hack for the PSX FFT that doesn't do anything but add in the PSP version's script. So. :shrug:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This is my first time, so apologies for the dumb question, but how does the start of the fiesta work? Do they do The Run on the 19th, and as soon as they finish, everyone else starts?

And I saw in the OP that there's a pledge drive to do a run with The Run's jobs between them being announced and the start - when do those get announced? I might try it out just to familiarize myself with stuff, even though I'm pretty sure I won't be able to finish it since I'm guessing they are gonna be stuck with the hardest jobs.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fenrir posted:

:rip: Everhate, the Chosen One

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is my first time, so apologies for the dumb question, but how does the start of the fiesta work? Do they do The Run on the 19th, and as soon as they finish, everyone else starts?

And I saw in the OP that there's a pledge drive to do a run with The Run's jobs between them being announced and the start - when do those get announced? I might try it out just to familiarize myself with stuff, even though I'm pretty sure I won't be able to finish it since I'm guessing they are gonna be stuck with the hardest jobs.
The fiesta officially starts when the guy who runs the event finishes his playthrough of the game. Right now people are voting for the jobs he'll be using. From the time he starts, you have until he finishes the game to beat your own game using the same jobs as him (if you want that one guy to donate in your honor). Otherwise, you wait until he's done, then begin your own run with your own assigned jobs.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Probably not the worst team, but my personal worst was beating Omega with samurai/thief/white/monk. I had to get up to level 58 to do it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Fenrir posted:

Next Year's "The Run": 4 Berserkers. (The fiesta will start at the start of the Run instead of the end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

In theory it starts when the run ends. In reality it ends when the guy who runs it wakes up after the run ends.

• Locked thread