Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
What are those modifiers on Alpha Centauri II? Something appears to have left a shitload of tile blockers all over the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

What are those modifiers on Alpha Centauri II? Something appears to have left a shitload of tile blockers all over the planet.

That would be dense forests. We can start clearing those as soon as the colony is established.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 3, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

How joyous! The Kitsu and ourselves share almost every conceivable value for the ordering of society and government. Let's make sure we pursue the best relations with them, especially as we appear to prefer the same continental planet type. Imagine a future where Human and Kitsu stand together! We would be secure in a galaxy of charlatans and if that battle debris is anything to go by, possibly much worse.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Danny Glands posted:

A quick diplomatic deal with the Turmexians for star charts is made.
:catstare:

I think it's best we not deprive our poor paranoid scientists the opportunity to make new discoveries in the field.

They have enough problems as it is and I'd hate to see them driven to drink if they no longer have any work to do.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JuniperCake posted:

:catstare:

I think it's best we not deprive our poor paranoid scientists the opportunity to make new discoveries in the field.

They have enough problems as it is and I'd hate to see them driven to drink if they no longer have any work to do.

The thing is, (unless Paradox changed it) the chance for anomalies is rolled once, the first time anyone surveys it. So technically trading star charts lets you know planets that have very definitely been surveyed by others, and improve your chances of getting anomalies.

Since the precursor things now have a chance to just be generated randomly on planets you own so you have a chance to see the end of them this matters less, but so it goes.

(It was objectively terrible to take star charts in the brief window where Planetary Survey Corps under Discovery tradition was 1/3 of your research points per surveyed planet tho)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shugojin posted:

The thing is, (unless Paradox changed it) the chance for anomalies is rolled once, the first time anyone surveys it. So technically trading star charts lets you know planets that have very definitely been surveyed by others, and improve your chances of getting anomalies.

Since the precursor things now have a chance to just be generated randomly on planets you own so you have a chance to see the end of them this matters less, but so it goes.

(It was objectively terrible to take star charts in the brief window where Planetary Survey Corps under Discovery tradition was 1/3 of your research points per surveyed planet tho)

Ah yeah you're right. I miss old PSC even though we only had it for such a short while. But yeah if we are going expansion first then there's definitely no issues with the star chart trading.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Since version 1.6 or maybe 1.5 player science ships now can find anomalies in systems the AI already surveyed.

Could we also get a map of where we and the other sentient beings we discovered are in relation to each other?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Yadoppsi posted:

Could we also get a map of where we and the other sentient beings we discovered are in relation to each other?

It looks like we're gonna be the first to colonize a planet in our neighborhood.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
New New Jersey makes me laugh for some probably dumb reason.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the planetary build interface. It's a better abstraction than just a list of things you've built.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Okay, I've closed voting for the new colony name. Alpha Centauri II will be known as Gaia's Landing (25.6% of the vote). The runner up was Better Earth with 16.3%.

Update to come.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 6, 2017

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Glazius posted:

I like the planetary build interface. It's a better abstraction than just a list of things you've built.

I hate it because Sword of the Stars did it so much better by abstracting it away and making it so that Leader didn't have to fuss around on where to build a preschool on Bumfuck-7.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SIGSEGV posted:

I hate it because Sword of the Stars did it so much better by abstracting it away and making it so that Leader didn't have to fuss around on where to build a preschool on Bumfuck-7.

I mean, it gets that way once the empire gets big enough. You can only micromanage planets in the Core Systems, and everything else gets AI governors.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

especially as we appear to prefer the same continental planet type.

In my book that just pushes you to the top of the "to be invaded" list. I can actually use your planets :v: .

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

While working on my update, we received enough Unity to move forward with Traditions, so it's General Assembly time again!

Do we want to:
  • Adopt Colonization Fever, which will give us 1 additional Unity production from each capital building;
  • Adopt Reach for the Stars, which will treat costs for new Frontier Outposts and colonies as if they were only half the distance away; or
  • Open a new Tradition tree? If you choose this one, specify which one: Domination, Prosperity, Harmony, Supremacy, Diplomacy, or Discovery. This will make it take longer to get to the Unity cap again, plus we won't get to an Ascension Perk as fast.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 7, 2017

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Oh we can split tradition trees after all?

Open Prosperity then, we'll go for Private Colony Ships then come back to Expansion.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Colonization Fever. More unity means faster traditions.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

alcaras posted:

Open Prosperity then, we'll go for Private Colony Ships then come back to Expansion.

Ce n'est pas un devis vide.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, it gets that way once the empire gets big enough. You can only micromanage planets in the Core Systems, and everything else gets AI governors.

automation isn't the same as abstraction at all though, they aim to fix the same problem but automation is much worse at it

I would like the sector mechanic a lot more if it actually was based on abstraction - make all the planets in a sector produce resources at a rate depending on some fairly simple factors, and leave the details for core worlds. would take a lot of changes to make that work in the context of the game as it exists, though

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Adopt Reach for the Stars

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

What he doesn't mention is that each opened Tradition Tree increases the cost for Traditions by +10% per Tree, unlike the Tradition Leafs themselves which should give a lower penalty based around the number of Traditions rather than the number of Trees opened.

With that said, Adopt Colonization Fever is the way to go in my opinion. It increases our Unity output and allows us to quicker reach the next level about the time we've started wanting to get hold of further away Colonies making Reach for the Stars a much better option for later endeavours.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Additionally, we get an ascension perk when we fill out a tradition tree. Those can be very powerful buffs. If we split traditions it'll take us longer to fill a tree and get our first ascension perk. With that in mind, we should stick with the expansion tree and get Colonization Fever. More unity means faster traditions, which means filling in the tree faster.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Thanks for reminding me of those two notes. I added them to the vote call.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The 10% increment is not as important as cheaper spacemines. Open Prosperity.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Aethernet posted:

The 10% increment is not as important as cheaper spacemines. Open Prosperity.

This, mo minerals is never a bad thing.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 7, 2017

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Colonization Fever

The sooner that one is activated, the more it pays off. It is also active all the time , unlike cheaper mines (which I admit are also really good).

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Cheaper mining stations honestly felt unnecessary to me. More Unity is a big deal tho. I feel the fever

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Who needs mining stations when we can dance the night away with colonization fever?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So are our colony ships like awesome to live on, and that's why they cost so much to maintain, or is colonization fever gonna be like space covered wagons times, where all those colonists are allowed to bring one suitcase and spend like a month living in shipping container with a futon and a toilet?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

So are our colony ships like awesome to live on, and that's why they cost so much to maintain, or is colonization fever gonna be like space covered wagons times, where all those colonists are allowed to bring one suitcase and spend like a month living in shipping container with a futon and a toilet?
Covered wagons, full of grandfather clocks and fording asteroid belts all day.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Well, while I wait for more votes, I might begin writing up a worldbuilding piece. What other empire do you guys want an intelligence report on?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's go for our Turmexian neighbours, since I suspect we'll be touching borders soon enough.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Fever

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but in case anyone is voting to open up a new policy tree, bad idea. The more you have open the more unity it costs, so the smartest thing to do is fill the tree you have available.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Colonization Fever. I always felt like my real bottleneck for building more mines was expanding my influence to cover them, not the cash to actually build them. Unity though, you can never generate that fast enough.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

UN Dept. of Foreign Relations -- Intelligence Report
TUREXMIAN TRADING CONSORTIUM

The Turexmian Trading Consortium is based on the oceanic planet of Turexm, orbiting the star Gonexb. Since the Turexmians will not allow Humans on the planet surface, any face-to-face diplomacy on their "turf" is held on Turexm's space station. However, based on conditions on the space station and gravimetric analysis from orbit, we can deduce that Turexm is similar in size to Earth, but with 93% water coverage as compared to Earth's 71%.

The Turexmians themselves are avian in nature, with a bony face and four eyes. They possess brilliant plumage, but are flightless. Their native language is tonal in nature, with one "word" having several meanings depending on the pitch of each individual syllable. They are also able to speak Human languages in a matter similar to some birds on Earth.

All Turexmians are considered property of the Consortium's Board of Directors, and citizenship is based on stock ownership. In fact, stock is used as currency. (Naturally, the members of the board hold 99.99% of the consortium's stock between them, making them the ruling class.) In the unfortunate event that a Turexmian does not have a single share in their name, they are considered "mobile assets," that is, slaves. All businesses on Turexm are considered "wholly owned subsidiaries" of the Consortium. General-purpose robots are also in wide-spread use, but are not allowed to own stock.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Gonna give voting a few more hours.

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016

Danny Glands posted:

UN Dept. of Foreign Relations -- Intelligence Report
TUREXMIAN TRADING CONSORTIUM

mmm, I smell an early war opportunity. Seriously, these guys has got to go.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
What's the superiority breakdown? Bigger fleets? Higher tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Turexmian way of life is clearly incompatible with our own. Better be ready for an eventual war against the aquatic capitlistic robot loving birds. Arms race cold war on the way.

• Locked thread