Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wound up rewatching all of Ed, Edd, and Eddy, mainly because of so many of its episodes are just out on youtube, and it holds up surprisingly well. I forgot that so many of the episodes weren't actually focused on Eddy's scams and there were plenty of episodes focused on things like fitting in with the rest of the kids or solving some problem one of the Eds has.

I was also surprised at just how much background music there was, but it's not as obnoxious as when I watch old Animaniacs with all its slide whistles and pianos and xylophones plinking and plonking every which way that drives me crazy. There's a real cohesive aesthetic that all the music follows.

Towards the end, the show gets kinda mean. I don't know if the cartoon violence gets more exaggerated or what, but something about it all seems worse. The movie gets downright intense, although it is satisfying at the end. The only thing about the movie I didn't like was Johnny 2x4 getting shafted. Throughout the rest of the series he practically becomes the 4th Ed.

I always liked the intro whistle theme. Very distinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So this isn't really cartoons but it's close enough I figure.

I only like just last night learned that there were not one, not two, but three live-action Fairly Odd Parents movies. Also that they're all on youtube and barely an hour long each, so I strapped in after reading the weird as hell first chunk of synopsis for just the first one.

"Thirteen years after the timeline and finale of the original series, Timmy Turner (Drake Bell) has grown into a twenty-three-year-old man-child by maintaining a lifestyle considered extremely immature for his age. He has done so to keep his fairy godparents. Timmy's refusal to mature greatly irritates his parents (who desperately encourage him to move out) and Jorgen von Strangle (Mark Gibbon), who is constantly scheming to entice Timmy into giving up his fairies.

One day, Timmy reunites with a girl from his childhood named Tootie (Daniella Monet), who had an obsessive crush on him for years. She has grown into a beautiful activist and Timmy falls for her instantly. His fairy godparents, Cosmo and Wanda, scheme to repel Tootie, afraid that he is finally growing up and may no longer need them. Timmy is torn between his love for Tootie and his desire to keep his fairy godparents."

That concept is exactly as weird as it sounds and parts of the first movie almost felt like some Twilight Zone poo poo. At one point Timmy's parents have sold the house and are planning to go on some big vacation, since they're thoroughly tired of him, which he wishes reversed and his parents are distraught by this, while he runs off cheery as can be. Like as far as I can remember of the cartoon, if he ever wished for big things sort of like that it always seemed like people were also made to be on-board with it too, which isn't the case in this movie when he does something that changes other people's stuff, so it gives it this weird almost evil bent. But then I haven't seen the cartoon in ages or kept up with it at all past a certain pretty old point, so maybe that was more normal than I remembered or something. The best parts of that movie though were probably the guys who played Crocker and Jorgen, because at least it felt like they were having fun with the roles, Jorgen's guy hammed it up like crazy and it was pretty great.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 3, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'd known they made one live-action movie, but the fact that they made more is deeply unsettling.

Edit: Like, Christ, how much further can they drive that franchise into the ground?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Was that the one where Timmy dies and is turned into a fairy at the end?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
So they dumped a bunch of Billy Dilley on Disney XD's website

It's got a fun energy to it and neat art, but man Billy's a bit of an rear end in a top hat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fairly OddParents isn't even on Nickelodeon proper anymore, right? I remember someone saying that it's on the Nicktoons channel now.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I could've sworn Fairly OddsParents went off the air like 8 years ago. They're still making new episodes in TYOOL 2017 :psyduck:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And they've tried three separate times to add a new main character.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Benne posted:

I could've sworn Fairly OddsParents went off the air like 8 years ago. They're still making new episodes in TYOOL 2017 :psyduck:

They milked the hell out of Season 9(!), which was spawned after a year long hiatus, for two years. Then they went and got a tenth season made. All of them have been aired abroad and that sort of thing generally heralds a "we don't give a gently caress about this series" alarm. Part of the season also switched over to Flash. It had also already had production ceased once before (season 5 was to be the last at the time).

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, my favorite thing about Nick squeezing every drop from FOP is how it turns a pretty standard protagonist into a selfish, broken kid isolated from the real world who can't handle losing his (much better) godparents and their powers.

Like, there's so many episodes about Timmy learning to accept that he has to give up Cosmo and Wanda, and it gets worse every time. The TV movies about refusing to grow up, the episode where it turns out he stopped time for fifty years, the fact Timmy keep getting main characters from the fairy world and avoiding his human supporting cast... It's all so consistent in its terribleness that it becomes fascinating.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, Timmy was an awful little jerk who never learned anything long before that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Every time FOP's undead state comes up again in the thread cycle (and it should, because it's completely bewildering every time), it gets suggested that there must be some executive up there who must have took it for granted that FOP is a staple that needs to keep existing. That's the only sane explanation for what is going on.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm starting to watch XD in waiting for CN to get Ok Ko and I'm noticing they unfortunately look at lot like the rest of the channels in airing several hour blocks of a few shows over and over again. Also I'm not seeing the appeal of Milo Murphy's Law.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

nerdman42 posted:

Honestly, my favorite thing about Nick squeezing every drop from FOP is how it turns a pretty standard protagonist into a selfish, broken kid isolated from the real world who can't handle losing his (much better) godparents and their powers.

Like, there's so many episodes about Timmy learning to accept that he has to give up Cosmo and Wanda, and it gets worse every time. The TV movies about refusing to grow up, the episode where it turns out he stopped time for fifty years, the fact Timmy keep getting main characters from the fairy world and avoiding his human supporting cast... It's all so consistent in its terribleness that it becomes fascinating.

I would absolutely love a reboot of FOP where an older Timmy plays the neurotic villain. It would be a great way to deconstruct his consistent lack of growth over the last 10k episodes.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 5, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Also I'm not seeing the appeal of Milo Murphy's Law.
It's more or less Phineas and Ferb, but not every episode has a song and Weird Al voices the main character. So if that show wasn't up your alley, this won't be either.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And they've tried three separate times to add a new main character.

2nd and 3rd time?

*skims TVtropes character list*

Ok The Baby is attempt #1(already knew about that), the (radical talking?) dog is #2 and the gender swapped female version of the protag is #3?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

PhazonLink posted:

2nd and 3rd time?

*skims TVtropes character list*

Ok The Baby is attempt #1(already knew about that), the (radical talking?) dog is #2 and the gender swapped female version of the protag is #3?

She's a literal Mary Sue that everyone likes and only flaw is that she's too nice to everyone.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
What stories do you even have to write for The Fairly Oddparents at this point?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dangerous Person posted:

What stories do you even have to write for The Fairly Oddparents at this point?

Simpsons jokes from ten years ago?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

nerdman42 posted:

The show should have ended with the first TV movie which actually did the exact opposite of all these movies where Timmy accepts he has to grow up and that he will forget most of his childhood due to the ravages of time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Simpsons jokes from ten years ago?

Isn't that still garbage?

Garbage in, worse garbage out?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 6, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't that still garbage?

Garbage in, worse garbage out?

It's a joke about how The Simpsons has been spinning its wheels for even longer. "Spongebob Squarepants jokes from five years ago" would also work.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

God bless internet meme makers, they've done more to make Spongebob funny and relevant than the people who have worked and written for the actual show over the past 15 years or so.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CrimsonAuthor posted:

I can't wait for Yakko's World, 2017 edition. He'll need a whole verse just for what's become of Yugoslavia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_nYj2uB0c&t=45s

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

New episodes are out now. This show is aggressively unfunny and none of the characters are remotely likable. Worse than Uncle Grandpa, if that was even possible.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Benne posted:

New episodes are out now. This show is aggressively unfunny and none of the characters are remotely likable. Worse than Uncle Grandpa, if that was even possible.

there's a few decent episodes (like the two with the barbarian conman, the mushroom prince one, the one with the beast curse, and most of the ones with the evil wizard) but yeah the writing's pretty weak overall

a cursory glance shows that most of the crew worked on post-movie spongebob and/or uncle grandpa (with a few classic spongebob people also involved, like Merriwether Williams and the show's creator)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Between FOP and Spongebob Nickelodeon seems pretty tired these days, compared to Disney and Cartoon network at least.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
They have the Loud House, which I've heard mixed things about, but other than that I have no idea what other animated shows they've got going on their network.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
cricket banana something something is still going, last i saw. And they're dragging out new TMNT episodes eventually, plus next year sees a new 2D TMNT cartoon. But yeah, looks like their slate is mostly 90s nostalgia movies.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Loud House is pretty cute but it's not enough to prop up a whole network that's otherwise still desperately leaning on their now zombified two big hits.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Loud House looks nice and it isn't bad, but the plots tend to be pretty bog-standard family-oriented kids' show stories and the sisters are all pretty one-dimensional.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's not just Nickelodeon, every Viacom channel has no idea what they're doing. It wasn't long ago that Comedy Central was their sole worthwhile channel, but their new output this year has been pretty bad. The dysfunction goes to the very top with all the boardroom drama.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Boardroom drama? Do tell

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I get the impression that Nickelodeon doesn't really want to be in the animation game anymore. They seem pretty content riding Spongebob and FOP until the heat death of the universe, without any serious effort to make a new hit. Maybe The Loud House is good, but I haven't really seen a huge marketing push for that, and they actively buried Legend of Korra.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Weren't there rumblings last year that Nickelodeon wanted to revive old Nicktoons properties and give them new series?

Dangerous Person posted:

Boardroom drama? Do tell
Long story short, Sumner Redstone has had a tenuous grip on Viacom and CBS over the past couple years because he's 94 years old and in failing health, and various forces have been jockeying to succeed him. For now, he still has control of it, mainly through his daughter.

Here's a good summary from the NY Times about the drama and the cast of characters.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Sumner Redstone is a very Original Character Do Not Steal kind of name

EDIT: Wow, this article goes places

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 7, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

khwarezm posted:

Between FOP and Spongebob Nickelodeon seems pretty tired these days, compared to Disney and Cartoon network at least.

Nick chased that Disney Channel dragon pretty hard in the post-Nicktoons era. As a result, they kind of sanitized all the weird Nick stuff they produced (Like Wienerville), with their last gasp being Zim. They leaned on Klasky Csupo pretty hard, but the As Told by Ginger/Rocket Power years kind of killed their prominance.

Disney, meanwhile, found out that having a ginormous parent company meant you had a pretty infinite supply of young actors you could groom for post TV careers in music and acting. Get one High School Musical and it doesn't matter how many Camp Rocks you put out, in other words.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well, poop:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU6Uvr_A5pM/
Looks like Miraculous S2 release has been postponed until fall, possibly as late as October. Which I guess we should've seen coming what with the Halloween episode and all. At least it can't be later than October thanks to that.
It'll also drop 13 and 13 in two chunks, which mirrors the Netflix season 1 release.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Benne posted:

I get the impression that Nickelodeon doesn't really want to be in the animation game anymore. They seem pretty content riding Spongebob and FOP until the heat death of the universe, without any serious effort to make a new hit. Maybe The Loud House is good, but I haven't really seen a huge marketing push for that, and they actively buried Legend of Korra.

It's too bad they dont want to ride the Avatar IP into the heat death of the universe.

They have a world where the lore has a built in "lost to the ages" thing and as long as they don't reference anything else they can just keep making up new avatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

It's too bad they dont want to ride the Avatar IP into the heat death of the universe.

They have a world where the lore has a built in "lost to the ages" thing and as long as they don't reference anything else they can just keep making up new avatars.

As much as I'd love to see a 3rd incarnation of the Avatar series I think Nickelodeon pretty much burned their bridges with the original creators towards the end of Korra and I'm not sure what other network would be willing to pick it up.

Though if they did you wouldn't even really need to reference the past much since Korra basically featured a brand new cast anyway. In fact, if I remember correctly the only old faces we saw in that show were Katara, Toph, Aang and a cameo or two by some of the old Avatars.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 7, 2017