Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Does anyone have a list or some highlights of the most appalling names that Freepers (or equivalents) have used to call Obama? I want to use them as a caption under a cartoon of a smiling Obama with his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alter Ego posted:

You abysmally stupid goddamn moron, how do you walk and breathe at the same time?

They need their rascal scooters for reasons other than just their morbid obesity, you know.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

quote:

To: RitaOK

Read the link. They are searching for a White House leaker tracking to journalists, apparently not confined to classified information, by this report anyway.>>>> wast of time. fire everyone, pull all computers. tear out all wiring. use paper communications.

34 posted on 05/31/2017 8:42:09 PM PDT by kvanbrunt2 (снова сделаем Ам)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

Flash forward a few months from now to the White House turning into Chuck's house from Better Call Saul.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The seat of our government should definitely get rid of all phones and computers and communicate strictly on smoke signals and placing your hand over a flashlight while standing on the street.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lightning Lord posted:

They want the feds to be the military and maybe a guy doing trade, regulating womans bodies, that's it.

ftfy

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Someone invent a one way time machine back to 1850 for these folks so we can all be happy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The seat of our government should definitely get rid of all phones and computers and communicate strictly on smoke signals and placing your hand over a flashlight while standing on the street.

Trump seems to be a fan of palantirs, so maybe they should look into that.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

They want the feds to be the military and maybe a guy doing trade and some dudes in military equipment that beat down those people, that's it.
ftfy

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They'd be ok if the military was the police. No martial law but my martial law.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Good luck getting your loving SS checks and Medicare after rolling the government back to skeleton crew status, assholes. Personally, if more of you died as a result, maybe it'd be a net good for the country.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jagged Jim posted:

:siren: Important Freep News :siren:

We have installed a new SHA-256 secure server certificate on freerepublic.com and NEW donate link

Freep has updated from their old SHA-1 (lol) secured server to a new SHA-256 secure server to handle your donations. Make sure you use the new donation link and not the old one!

(On that note I've noticed this Freepathon has been particularly abysmal, when I last checked the total was sitting at 66% with a month to go. I'm guessing that's what got JimRob to update, there have been several Freepers complaining that their browsers wouldn't let them visit the old donate site because it thought the site was insecure.)

Well, the drives should be getting worse with time given each election they have a compaction cycle

Fathis Munk posted:

Also a lot of snark in that freep thread about how bad the freep infrastructure is.

Lol, yeah, I'm sure anyone older than a ten year old would show enough desire to hack a site like freep. Best thing anyone can do is leave it alone and let you morons pay thousands to keep a lovely website open and laugh at whenever it crashes on its own

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 2, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SocketWrench posted:

Well, the drives should be getting worse with time given each election they have a compaction cycle

Post-2012 they've been more and more pathetic, with increasingly passive-aggressive pleading by jimrob as the deadline approaches (though one suspects this is largely an act and the last-minute rush is in large part him making up the difference with people who for some reason still are signed up for monthly donations). Who knew that constantly purging wrongthinkers, not letting anyone in without passing stringent ideological tests, and leaving your site stuck in late 90s format would have such an impact!

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
I always assumed that the freepathons were just a ploy for him to get money, and that he just puts out an arbitrary number to get the rubes to send more cash. Like he puts on a big show about needing the money so he can continue to bilk thousands out out the remaining freepers, and he'll just say the goal was met at the end of it regardless.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Nah, he has a set goal and has broken down where the money went before. From what I gather it makes up a main source of income for him and his immediate family, so I would guess saying somehow the difference was made up every time would convince people that it wasn't that important because some rich freeper (a sort of bizzaro Soros, if you will) was paying it

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
Oh my God.

Soros spelled backwards is Soros!!!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Someone itt once posted something about how the reason some online conspiracy nuts, freepers etc have A tendency to USE caps LOCK in odd PLACES is because schizophrenia makes you believe those particular words hold power to understanding the world around you, and because you don't realize you have schizophrenia, you bold those to try to make the same insight available to the reader.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? It's pretty interesting from a linguistic perspective, and I'd like to track down the post again.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tias posted:

Someone itt once posted something about how the reason some online conspiracy nuts, freepers etc have A tendency to USE caps LOCK in odd PLACES is because schizophrenia makes you believe those particular words hold power to understanding the world around you, and because you don't realize you have schizophrenia, you bold those to try to make the same insight available to the reader.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? It's pretty interesting from a linguistic perspective, and I'd like to track down the post again.

You are thinking of Prester Jane. She has a thread;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708238

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tias posted:

It's that, but it's also something that comes up in a lot of advertising/marketing designs and is used to similar effect but in a more restrained way by plenty of good writers over time. It's also just something that you can do anywhere while you can't say bold or italicize. Or hell, just think about how many widespread versions of the bible use Capitalized Things to indicate something's special, especially Lord.

Most people will have seen it used to good effect at some point in their lives, even though attempting to imitate it tends to look silly.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tias posted:

Sounds like the same idea sovcits use when they ramble off the constitution while being ticketed/arrested along with "I DO NOT CONSENT!"

birds
Jun 28, 2008

How come the Freep thread has been so quiet lately? I used to be addicted to this thread.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
We're all just so tired now. Every time we dove in we gave a little bit of our soul away.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Also those forums are even deader and gayer than this one given how many people were purged in recent years.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Rakanakle posted:

We're all just so tired now. Every time we dove in we gave a little bit of our soul away.

The people that actually visit the site and pull posts for us here are pure angels.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Tony Phillips posted:

The people that actually visit the site and pull posts for us here are pure angels.

Yup. There are only three or four regulars here that mine FR. I would, but the only times I am bored enough to do it are at work, and I don't want that in whatever they use to track things.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
TBH the Trump thread has taken up a lot of my lurktime now. I already know what Freep is gonna say about a given event, but the Trump and Spicy show is a magical wheel of wonders.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Feinne posted:

Also those forums are even deader and gayer than this one given how many people were purged in recent years.

Was there ever a Freep offsite that developed from this?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Feinne posted:

Hey now, deader sure, but certainly not gayer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Hey now, deader sure, but certainly not gayer.

With how much freep talks about butt sex etc.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

Was there ever a Freep offsite that developed from this?

There have been several, or at least other far right wackadoo sites the exiles have congregated on. True Blue Liberty I think is one, and presumably fetid holes like Stormfront have taken in others.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

RagnarokAngel posted:

With how much freep talks about butt sex etc.

Yeah they definitely talk about it more than people who actually have it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
With Trump's election and the rise of the alt-right, Freep seems downright quaint in comparison.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Neo_Crimson posted:

With Trump's election and the rise of the alt-right, Freep seems downright quaint in comparison.

Nah, they're just as bad, they just aren't internet savvy.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

quote:

To: ebb tide
There is no dignity in giving or receiving an anally inflicted death sentence.

17 posted on 6/6/2017, 10:39:53 PM by Trillian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Enough about Mike Pence and his horse.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Mustached Demon posted:

Enough about Mike Pence and his horse.

:vince:

But seriously, thanks to the brave heroes who mine freep for our "entertainment," I guess you would call it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"horror tourism".

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

What the deal with Mike and horses

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I think I'll do a freep dive when I get home tonight. There is a thread about that politician calling for a holy war against Muslims and another one about the Iran attacks, I am hoping there will be one about Comey reportedly asking not to be left alone with Trump.

Also from the Iran one

quote:

To: Zakeet

Riechstag? Did someone call it the Riechstag?

11 posted on 6/7/2017, 11:44:43 AM by Vermont Lt

No, no one called it that because that would mean the day of smell, you illiterate gently caress.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

the day of smell

aka freepcon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I guess that's my cue.

Trump Pitched Republican Leaders On A Solar-paneled Border Wall

What's it powering? Who the gently caress knows?

quote:

To: Helicondelta

Make sure the Wall has hidden sensors at the bottom so they can detect people tunneling under the Wall!

2 posted on 06/06/2017 11:34:39 PM PDT by KavMan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

Solar paneled?

Ya okay. Right after he pulled out of the Paris “accord”, he pitched some greenie nonsense. Hahahaha.

Right, okay, ya.

4 posted on 06/06/2017 11:37:54 PM PDT by FreedomStar3028 (Somebody has to step forward and do what is right because it is right, otherwise no one will follow.)

The mystical Wall energy will protect us!

quote:

To: FreedomStar3028

Who cares if it’s made of glass? As long as it’s a wall.

7 posted on 06/06/2017 11:42:29 PM PDT by snarkytart
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Okay, this one was good.

quote:

I was thinking “roadrunner” tunnels painted every so often on the south side just for laughs.

8 posted on 06/06/2017 11:43:30 PM PDT by zencycler

quote:

I’m fine with it as long as the solar panels power targetable megawatt lasers.

14 posted on 06/06/2017 11:51:57 PM PDT by cabojoe

I dunno... this seems kinda... dumb...

quote:

bad idea. the solar panels would be vandalized if not ripped off. solar panels are delicate and throwing rocks on them would ruin them.

15 posted on 06/06/2017 11:59:29 PM PDT by WayneLusvardi (It's more complex than it might seem)

quote:

To: FreedomStar3028

Solar panels mean the wall will be more self-sufficient - and therefore harder for some future Democrat administration or Congress to kill through the death of a thousand (budget) cuts. “Oh, we can’t justify paying the power bill for the wall, so I guess we’ll have to turn everything off” doesn’t fly if the system generates its own electricity.

16 posted on 06/07/2017 12:07:27 AM PDT by Spktyr (Overwhelmingly superior firepower and the willingness to use it is the only proven peace solution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Why not just put them on the north side of the Wall? :downs:

quote:

To: WayneLusvardi

So, put them on the north face and on top. Also, non-fragile solar panels have been invented and developed by a number of outfits. One such firm was Nanosolar, which had ‘printed’ solar cells that could stand up to Texas hailstorms as a roof covering. NS didn’t survive due to the Obama Administration deciding they were a ‘loser’ and subsidizing their competition as well as Chinese panel dumping, but other companies have similar solutions IIRC.

18 posted on 06/07/2017 12:11:11 AM PDT by Spktyr (Overwhelmingly superior firepower and the willingness to use it is the only proven peace solution.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

quote:

Trump said his vision was a wall 40 feet to 50 feet high and covered with solar panels so they'd be "beautiful structures"

Where's that coming from? Build towering, ominous walls that absolutely dwarf any human being who walks up to the base of the wall. Several hundred feet high, preferably. Mexico pays, remember? Send anyone who crosses back with his balls ripped off.

What was the name of that sci-fi series (or movie) that featured a huge wall that trapped the residents of a city full of young people inside? They weren't permitted to venture outside. They finally did get out and that was the end of the movie, not a very good one, but the one thing that impressed me was that humongous wall. I've been looking for "pictures" of it but haven't been able to find them. But I know they are out there; I've seen them before. That's the kind of wall we need. Not beautiful (most of it is out in the middle of the desert... who's going to appreciate it?), not covered with solar panels, but ominous, towering, unwelcoming.

21 posted on 06/07/2017 12:20:15 AM PDT by LibWhacker

quote:

To: cabojoe

More like the solar panels will be targets, on south side Mexicans will target - on north side hooligans (libtards) will target.

23 posted on 06/07/2017 12:21:28 AM PDT by Nailbiter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

quote:

I think that the bottom line with the contracting approach being taken, is that it will enable many types of barriers to be built.

It specifically asks for two types of barrier (solid and see through), but they intend to certify several vendors to build each, so there can be many unique designs approved.

In some places it may need to be particularly strong, in other places they may look to conserve on cost. But someplace has to have the WOW! factor, to make it a Trump monument.

Selling electricity to Mexico to pay off the wall, would be a verbal zinger that Trump could whip critics with till his dying day. Elon Musk would come crawling back for that solar panel contract.

And with lots of solar panels, you could easily electrify the wall like a cattle fence - only about ten feet up, so the security cameras could capture lots of blooper clips for YouTube.

28 posted on 06/07/2017 12:26:56 AM PDT by BeauBo

quote:

To: LibWhacker

What was the name of that sci-fi series (or movie) that featured a huge wall that trapped the residents of a city full of young people inside?

I think you mean "Warm Bodies", a film about zombies. The wall was to keep them out.

Solar panels in the wall might be easily vandalized, or some enterprising Mex might run some cables in and steal some electricity. The concept, however, remains very cool.

32 posted on 06/07/2017 12:32:57 AM PDT by EinNYC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

I'm kinda surprised it took this long for Solyndra poo poo to start popping up.

quote:

Does that mean we could build the wall from those green energy funds Obama’s been slush funding?

46 posted on 06/07/2017 2:02:41 AM PDT by JohnyBoy

quote:

To: snarkytart

Use it as the power source for lethal counter measures to anyone trying to go over or under wall.

47 posted on 06/07/2017 2:46:52 AM PDT by GOPe Means Bend Over Spell Run (GO GALT - VOTE TRUMP!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Checkmate, libtard!

quote:

To: Spktyr

I agree. I think it’s brilliant. Of course the panels would be on the side facing the USA. How can the Left complain about “sustainable energy” etc. It’s absolutely brilliant.

50 posted on 06/07/2017 3:05:46 AM PDT by Mrs. B.S. Roberts
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Wait a minute...

quote:

To: Az Joe

If that happens, the cost just quadrupled.

53 posted on 06/07/2017 3:54:45 AM PDT by Chauncey Gardiner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

quote:

I would be 100% for this if the solar panels electrify the wall enough to shock the crap out of anyone trying to scale it.
54 posted on 06/07/2017 4:04:51 AM PDT by rlmorel (Liberals are in a state of constant cognitive dissonance, which explains their mental instability.)

quote:

Well solar panels would provide a lot of clean electricity and appeal to the green freaks and survivalist. Put them over a steel wall, first. Why not make a border wall do double duty? Sure beats all those panels on the desert sand that just produce electricity and don’t keep out illegals.

It could even power the seismographs to detect tunnel digging/traffic.

59 posted on 06/07/2017 4:33:17 AM PDT by GailA (Ret. SCPO wife: suck it up buttercups it's President Donald Trump!)