Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lprsti99 posted:

Gul'dan is extremely my poo poo. Just murder teams with corruption, and Horrify is amazing.

Fel Flame Gul'dan is even better, as if the game needed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

Fel Flame Gul'dan is even better, as if the game needed that.

Haven't tried that build yet, guess I'll have to.

And two problems with Rain of Destruction: my RNG isn't that strong, and it's not Horrify.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There are those in this thread who will defend RoD and you should avoid engaging them at all costs without a tank to initiate with Post Your MMR.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

With one of the best bits of voice acting in any Blizzard property and his WoW backstory, Gul'dan is basically Evil Cackle, The Hero. For that reason alone you should always take RoD!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kalko posted:

With one of the best bits of voice acting in any Blizzard property and his WoW backstory, Gul'dan is basically Evil Cackle, The Hero. For that reason alone you should always take RoD!

wait on the topic of his backstory how is he around? I mean in HotS, it's whatever, since it's a brawler and there's no story or timeline, but he's a big deal in WoW again right? Isn't he still the Lich King/a ghost in haunted armor?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Coolness Averted posted:

wait on the topic of his backstory how is he around? I mean in HotS, it's whatever, since it's a brawler and there's no story or timeline, but he's a big deal in WoW again right? Isn't he still the Lich King/a ghost in haunted armor?

That was Ner'zhul. But the short answer is that the Gul'dan in Legion is from an alternate timeline.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Nah, that's a different guy. New Gul'dan is from an alternate past created by Garrosh opening that big-rear end time portal.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Na that's ner zhul.

Guldans a cripple nerd who got picked on as a kid, made a deal with the devil for tons of power, and used that to burn the dudes who picked on him.

I'm mad I opened a box and got a stim pack this morning. I only had time for one other game today.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I just ignore stimpacks. If you get one, great, but you can't let yourself be lashed to a Skinner box.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Coolness Averted posted:

That's Ner'zhul, but yes, original Gul'dan is very dead and died when he tried to pilfer the Tomb of Sargeras.

New Gul'dan is from a different timeline and was more of a bro to the Legion, but we just killed him too.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It actually isn't specified which Gul'dan we got. The developers stated that his appearance is based off of his Warcraft II/original version, but that's all the information we have. Given that Zul'jin is supposed to be super dead and we wound up with a weird combination of his Warcraft II and World of Warcraft versions (with a polite smattering of completely inappropriate characterization), I don't think HOTS's Gul'dan is any specific version - he's just generically Gul'dan and that stands for the original, alternate, and film versions all at once.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Power Bottom posted:

It actually isn't specified which Gul'dan we got. The developers stated that his appearance is based off of his Warcraft II/original version, but that's all the information we have. Given that Zul'jin is supposed to be super dead and we wound up with a weird combination of his Warcraft II and World of Warcraft versions (with a polite smattering of completely inappropriate characterization), I don't think HOTS's Gul'dan is any specific version - he's just generically Gul'dan and that stands for the original, alternate, and film versions all at once.

Agreed. I was personally answering in the context of the Gul'dan in WoW: Legion.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Power Bottom posted:

I was going to link Chromie's unique kill line for him but I can't actually find it, presumably because it was added later when they put Gul'dan in the game (and all the Youtubes are from her release). She says something like "wait, was that Gul'dan from the main timeline or the alternate timeline? I can never remember."

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I got my Gul'dan for free with the purchase of the Warcraft movie bluray. It was the only value i received from buying the bluray of said film.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Someone pointed out to me that a huge portion of Varian's kit is just Repackaged Illidan and it pisses me off that I didn't realize it sooner. It's so obvious in hindsight.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Power Bottom posted:

Someone pointed out to me that a huge portion of Varian's kit is just Repackaged Illidan and it pisses me off that I didn't realize it sooner. It's so obvious in hindsight.

Explain my friend

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He has an ability that charges to a target with a slow attached and one that negates auto attacks. Totally the same.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

He has an ability that charges to a target with a slow attached and one that negates auto attacks. Totally the same.

Additionally, both Varian and Illidan are some kind of humanoid that speaks English, and both use between one and two weapons.

They're clearly identical.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The datamined working title for Colossus Smash was Mini The Hunt. Checks out.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Spudd posted:

Explain my friend

Vimes more or less explained the train of thought - Dive/Charge and Evasion/Parry are more or less identical in function, up to and including slow values and durations (assuming you put both charges of Parry together, anyways).

The rest more or less falls apart when I realize that I haven't slept in an excess of 24 hours and trying to equate Heroic Strike with Sweeping Strike because both give you bonus AA damage and get reduced cooldowns from hitting things is probably reaching a bit.

sleep deprivation ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Dive and Charge are more or less identical, except Charge has a notoriously long cooldown that gives non-Taunt Varian builds a lot of trouble sticking to people and do damage without help from a CC hero, and Illidan's cooldowns are so short you can barely mash the buttons fast enough and makes him probably the stickiest hero in the entire game. Also Charge gives a major slow that Dive doesn't, and Dive flips you to the other side of the target which Charge doesn't.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Dive actually does slow the target briefly while Illidan performs the flip animation.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Isn't that just the bodyblock?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Shadowlyger posted:

Dive actually does slow the target briefly while Illidan performs the flip animation.

Does it though or is it just the game registering Illidan is in front of the other character so the other character tries to path way around it?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Spudd posted:

Does it though or is it just the game registering Illidan is in front of the other character so the other character tries to path way around it?

I distinctly recall Blizzard talking about Dive slowing the target and it being an intended part of Illidan's kit. It's to make sure the flip animation goes off correctly.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I love playing Li Li and am trying to get better at her but I'm at the point where I need another set of eyes to help me figure out what I can improve.

I'm Coatal#1994 in game if anyone wants to get healed.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Power Bottom posted:

Except Varian is great to have on almost any team and Illidan is terrible to have on almost any team.

Cuatal posted:

I love playing Li Li and am trying to get better at her but I'm at the point where I need another set of eyes to help me figure out what I can improve.

I'm Coatal#1994 in game if anyone wants to get healed.

What are you having trouble with in particular? I play a lot of Li Li.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

How bad is lucio post nerf? He's on sale at the moment

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dugong posted:

How bad is lucio post nerf? He's on sale at the moment

He has some really bad Hotslogs stats right now but so do a lot of my other favorite characters.

IMO he's still very fun to play, does a poo poo ton of AOE healing, his only real weakness is he needs other characters to bring hard CC to engage fights. He's very good at group healing, group disengage, and sorting out your team's team fighting ability on the move. He's very rewarding to play but takes a bit to learn his limits when skating in and out of fights. If you like support he's definitely worth having in your roster.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Libertine posted:

What are you having trouble with in particular? I play a lot of Li Li.

The only thing I can tell I'm having trouble with and I've been working to improve is I go too aggro sometimes, but I've been getting better at telling when I can get away with it and when I can't.

I'm not really sure what else I'm doing wrong, I think I'm pretty good at her but I'm sure I can improve.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 7, 2017

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Cuatal posted:

The only thing I can tell I'm having trouble with and I've been working to improve is I go too aggro sometimes, but I've been getting better at telling when I can get away with it and when I can't.

I'm not really sure what else I'm doing wrong, I think I'm pretty good at her but I'm sure I can improve.

She's very much mid-line and the better you can dance around that middle territory doing everything in her kit the more effective you are. Sometimes you have to take risks, but aside from getting hard CC'd and sent into the enemy team by like a Diablo or Artanis or something she's pretty hard to take down. Try to bait their highest priority melee heroes into your range so you can blind them and then walk them back. Keep serpent up on whoever is going to be in the closest range to enemies for the duration (sometimes you, sometimes your tank, sometimes a guy diving). Always adjust your positioning to be where you need to be to try and throw your next heal out to whoever you think is going to need it, a lot of times you can force it to target more intelligently by playing the range and dancing to the right range to hit someone you need vs someone you don't.

With experience you'll put up incredible numbers on her, if you actively and aggressively mid-line poke and heal the entire game you're pretty much guaranteed to have really high hero damage and healing numbers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kalko posted:

I was going to link Chromie's unique kill line for him but I can't actually find it, presumably because it was added later when they put Gul'dan in the game (and all the Youtubes are from her release). She says something like "wait, was that Gul'dan from the main timeline or the alternate timeline? I can never remember."

The Gamepedia page for her quotes has it: http://heroesofthestorm.gamepedia.com/Chromie/Quotes#Eliminations
I'm guessing that quote was inspired by Deadpool, but her elimination quotes are great in general.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lucio is very good in QM. He does a lot of AOE healing, he's hard to kill, speed boost and knockback saves lives, and speed aura is great for running down a retreating event team. Also has a really good teamfight ult.

The only thing is, every game there will be one guy who, when you run in knockback, and speed boost to save their life they will stop and turn around and cast spells repeatedly instead of running and you will stupidly turn around to continue to try and save them until you both die.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Yeah but you don't have to be Lucio for that to happen

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I don't like Lucio in quick match. Like Morales he's really stuck with how effective his team mates are. He doesn't really help get kills so if the other four people don't have cc or much damage or whatever you're boned.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Lucio to me feels like most Healbotty of all the supports, which is a little ironic given his design. All you do with him is run around in circles, passively healing your team and occasionally booping people and switching beats. Even Morales has more stuff to do than that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah Crossfade should have been his d

Man what even is his official passive? I guess it's some fake poo poo like Raynor's. I really think they need to redesign Raynor. His talents only have one build path and that's because it's the least bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Man what even is his official passive? I guess it's some fake poo poo like Raynor's. I really think they need to redesign Raynor. His talents only have one build path and that's because it's the least bad.

Wall-running.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Man what even is his official passive?

The wall riding thing that also lets him pass through enemy units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Speed boost in front of the enemy and boop them back to your team. It's fun. And it'll only sometimes frequently get you killed.

(I primarily play heroes like Diablo and Tyreal and I just can't help myself)