Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

When in aircraft maintenance school, the WWII B-17 Aluminum Overcast was parked nearby. Our class was invited to see it up close in exchange for helping to clean it. The pilot grabbed some buckets and poured in some fuel from the wing tank sumps to use for cleaning along with some rags.

He called it "wing solvent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Humphreys posted:

My house is similarly old as gently caress. All sorts of janky poo poo with the wiring. If I open the refrigerator on one side of the house, my wifi USB stick disconnects from windows (not the network - legit the USB disconnected sound can be heard). It happens at random times of the day or night - not every time. The worst is if I'm in the middle of a gaming session and running to the fridge for beers between rounds.

I love guessing about such things. So I'm guessing your refrigerator lamp (draws enough power to EMP somethingsomething).
Disable the lamp with a bit of tape to the connector or screw it out and tell me if it still happens.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
A lot vehicle crews during WWII would use gasoline as a paint thinner. The paint that was distributed for vehicle touch-ups and camo changes was often a thick, mud-like substance, so they'd just mix in a bunch of fuel to thin it out. Still better than field-repaired zimmerit on german tanks though, which would often have fuel, urine, hay, etc etc, anything they could mix together to make a paste.

And speaking of urine, machine-gun operators in WWI would often refill the fluid-filled cooling jackets on their machine guns with urine, since water was in such short supply.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Still better than field-repaired zimmerit on german tanks though, which would often have fuel, urine, hay, etc etc, anything they could mix together to make a paste.

Why even bother repairing it? It wasn't useful for anything.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Lone Badger posted:

Why even bother repairing it? It wasn't useful for anything.

Yeah, but there was a period where they thought it was useful.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is extremely "What do you think what was going to happen?". Putting it inside makes shrapnel go everywhere. You put it on the front blast that away from you.

Here is another idiot for your pleasure. He made a mini car bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9USKP0f2o

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jabor posted:

Tech bubble results in a big influx of highly-paid tech workers, spiking demand.

Regional governments largely prohibit construction of higher-density residential units, constraining supply.

SF itself is also like, 8 miles large. Its not a big city land wise

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

AzureSkys posted:

When in aircraft maintenance school, the WWII B-17 Aluminum Overcast was parked nearby. Our class was invited to see it up close in exchange for helping to clean it. The pilot grabbed some buckets and poured in some fuel from the wing tank sumps to use for cleaning along with some rags.

He called it "wing solvent".

Shurely "prop wash"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

SF itself is also like, 8 miles large. Its not a big city land wise

Also, IIRC there has been a lot of real estate investment from China in the area.

Buying homes to hold (and earn) currency overseas and all that.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

BattleMaster posted:

I never really thought about it before but I guess gasoline is a pretty good solvent huh

Also a handy weedkiller! (Though supposedly diesel works even better, assuming you never want to grow anything their again.)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jabor posted:

Tech bubble results in a big influx of highly-paid tech workers, spiking demand.

Regional governments largely prohibit construction of higher-density residential units, constraining supply.

Plus foreign investors buying houses and leaving them unoccupied as investment properties, and vastly outbidding local buyers to secure said properties, artificially inflating the surrounding market until the only people who can afford to buy there are wealthy foreign investors.

e: late to the party!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly what's causing housing prices to balloon in San Francisco so badly? It seems way out of proportion to what it should actually be worth compared to similar cities.

Everything other people have said, but the geography is super weird too, almost like Manhattan in the sense that it's surrounded by water and living on one side of any of the bridges has major connotations for what you can afford and where you can get to in a timely manner.

http://s4.e-monsite.com/2011/06/06/09/resize_550_550//carte_san_francisco_baie.jpg

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It's like Portland, everywhere you go there's a bottleneck -- but worse, because of the density. Plus the downtown is hard to navigate by car. I usually prefer driving wherever I am, but I refuse to drive in SF.

Most of my team is in SF, and you'd think visiting them would be productive, but whenever I show up, there's a transit strike or some poo poo and everyone works from home.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Adjacent to the property where I work were the last few commercial row-house holdouts in the downtown DC area that avoided either renovation or redevelopment in the 80s and 90s. These particular properties had a 'rich' history dating back to the 19th century as many things including shoe shops, bakeries, tattoo parlors, and brothels, possibly several times over, before falling vacant in recent years. A few years ago, ahead of a long-awaited project to develop the lots to a modern mid-rise multi-use building, the structures were razed and their rubble used to fill the footprint; however, the basement wasn't totally demoed and filled. Since then, the rooms that extend into the alley have continued to deteriorate.

This little pit is about 6-8 feet deep and is just waiting for a trash truck to wander a little too close and cause some excitement. Someone has helpfully already run over one of the cones another engineer stuck out there; I keep expecting to hear a noise one of these mornings.

I'm also told the old coal room that extends out under the sidewalk in front features similar conditions, but is a bit more reinforced. One hopes so.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Don't forget there's plenty of geriatric and/or affluent NIMBYs on city councils killing poo poo too.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Jabor posted:

My city hadn't approved a building permit for an apartment complex of more than 10 units for over 30 years until they got sued by the state.

Everyone who's got theirs (property they own) do everything in their power to stop new construction in order to keep price appreciation high. The creation of "open space districts" 50 years ago was expressly intended to stop new construction. Supply doesn't increase much, demand increases a lot, prices go up a lot.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Humphreys posted:

My house is similarly old as gently caress. All sorts of janky poo poo with the wiring. If I open the refrigerator on one side of the house, my wifi USB stick disconnects from windows (not the network - legit the USB disconnected sound can be heard). It happens at random times of the day or night - not every time. The worst is if I'm in the middle of a gaming session and running to the fridge for beers between rounds.

That's pretty great.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bacon Taco posted:

My city hadn't approved a building permit for an apartment complex of more than 10 units for over 30 years until they got sued by the state.
My city keeps letting developers build apartment/mixed-use buildings but they're all these stupid loving "luxury apartments" with a heated dog garden and koi ponds and poo poo. Great job idiots, build another complex that charges $1500/mo for a studio the size of my office then wonder why people still say there's no housing!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly what's causing housing prices to balloon in San Francisco so badly? It seems way out of proportion to what it should actually be worth compared to similar cities.

from top to bottom, the biggest reasons are:

-state laws (prop 13) and local laws (NIMBYism) preventing denser development of san francisco proper
-difficult geography which leads to a shortage of land (SF Bay area is a peninsula on a bay surrounded by hilly terrain, flat land is relatively scarce and pretty much all developed or protected)
-difficult geography also leading to difficulty in transportation infrastructure
-general growth of american cities in 21st century as job and cultural hubs leading to an imbalance of demand vs supply for housing
-city with a lot of cultural pull factors leading to people preferencing living in the bay area over other american cities
-city is epicenter of lucrative industry leading to oversized wages, distorting what the top segment of the population can pay for housing
-also foreign investors buying pacific coast real estate as an asset (also true of domestic hedge funds)

Yawgmoth posted:

My city keeps letting developers build apartment/mixed-use buildings but they're all these stupid loving "luxury apartments" with a heated dog garden and koi ponds and poo poo. Great job idiots, build another complex that charges $1500/mo for a studio the size of my office then wonder why people still say there's no housing!

housing in american cities is hardly ever built for the middle class, let alone the poor. it's more effective from a profit generation standpoint to target the wealthy and let the rest of the housing stock trickle downwards. brand new middle class housing is basically the suburbs

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Yawgmoth posted:

You live in Seattle, huh?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Yawgmoth posted:

Kesper North posted:

You live in Seattle, huh?

Portland?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
can't be Vancouver, we're too busy building million dollar OSHA condos:

https://youtu.be/0j3SChqp51Y

tl;dw: faulty wiring, faulty switches, bad cabinetry, bad drywalling, bad drainage, bad carpeting, bad flooring.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ReelBigLizard posted:

And that guy who killed the 29 miners got what? a year?

Were the miners in Oakland, California?

Phanatic posted:

Even with those, you still need to verify things are turned off. If a non-contact indicator beeps, it's a pretty safe bet the power's on. But if it doesn't beep, it's not as safe a bet that the power's off.

Exactly, use non-contact testers to confirm hot, not to confirm cold.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I think my dad still has the needle nosed pliers with one of those notches from the time he wanted to show me how to fix something in the basement. If I recall, he flipped the breaker that killed the lights to the room and called it good, but the circuit the work was on belonged to an entirely different breaker.

my dad borrowed one of my heavy-duty jewelry making pliers when he was loving with something in my mom's bathroom and said he didn't need to turn off the breaker. I'm sitting in my room next to that and hear a POP, the lights go out, and a couple seconds of silence. then my dad starts laughing. :mad:

he knows what he's doing, usually, but jesus christ he scares me. and my pliers have a melted notch in them.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ultraklystron posted:

tl;dw: faulty wiring, faulty switches, bad cabinetry, bad drywalling, bad drainage, bad carpeting, bad flooring.

Vancouver SAR is adapting quickly to the Chinese building code

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

This seems useful.

e; wrong picture

Kith fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 7, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

boner confessor posted:

it's more effective from a profit generation standpoint to target the wealthy and let the rest of the housing stock trickle downwards.
I can't imagine that being true, at least around here. These loving things sit 70-90% empty year round. How is it effective to charge one person $2200/mo for his 1Br and be surrounded by empty apartments when you could put up the exact same building, charge $600/mo and fill 30 apartments immediately? Is there some kind of bad developer subsidy?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yawgmoth posted:

I can't imagine that being true, at least around here. These loving things sit 70-90% empty year round. How is it effective to charge one person $2200/mo for his 1Br and be surrounded by empty apartments when you could put up the exact same building, charge $600/mo and fill 30 apartments immediately? Is there some kind of bad developer subsidy?

Well that's 30 apartments you'd have to service and maintain heating, cooling, water, and pest control on.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

And that guy who killed the 29 miners got what? a year?

the guy who killed the 29 miners is more rich, therefore

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIPMfHUIVvk
Video of a scuba diver in the St. Clair River in Michigan encountering a stealth freighter.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIPMfHUIVvk
Video of a scuba diver in the St. Clair River in Michigan encountering a stealth freighter.

That's not OSHA, that's a dumbass recreational diver. SEA PATROL would send him straight to the disintegrator.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

JB50 posted:

LOL and RIP if you dont use one of these when loving with electricity:

Just a little note on those detectors

THEY SO NOT WORK ON DC, ONLY AC.

In the substations I work we use 125Vdc to operate relays, power circuit breakers (like 2000A 13500V), and even automation equipment - all the critical stuff is on 125Vdc. These detectors will not indicate anything on DC circuits. Also photovoltaic systems can operate at dangerous DC voltages.

We've also got bigger detectors for checking up into the tens/hundred+ kV range.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 8, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Obsurveyor posted:

That's not OSHA, that's a dumbass recreational diver. SEA PATROL would send him straight to the disintegrator.

fuckin scooby doos

kill em all

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ol Standard Retard posted:

fuckin scooby doos

kill em all

Man that was such an amazing thread that got closed or goldmined far too early.

"JOHNNY DIVES WHERE HE LIKES"

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
‘No one has inhaled this much plutonium’: 5 staff exposed to radiation in Japan lab accident

The accident occurred at 11:15am on Tuesday in the analysis room of the facility dedicated to researching improved nuclear fuel for its fast reactors.

One of the five men opened a metallic cylinder where the fuel, a mixture of uranium and plutonium, is stored before and after experiments. In the process, the double plastic wrapping inside which the radioactive material is kept ripped, and the toxic substance burst into the air.

Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of the Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA), which has frequently criticized the JAEA for the conditions at its facilities, said “workplace complacency” was possibly to blame.

The NRA said the workers had never experienced a similar plastic rip before, and as a result, did not feel the need to complete their research in a tightly sealed environment.

The researcher responsible for opening the box, described as a man in his 50s, had 22,000 becquerels of plutonium-239 detected in his lungs, and the other four between 2,200 and 14,000 becquerels.

https://www.rt.com/news/391283-japan-nuclear-accident-plutonium/

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

What, a good thread!?!?

Better make it disappear.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Three-Phase posted:

The best part of that thread was the drat write-up of the insanely complicated QWOP -esque Sea Patrol videogame.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

‘No one has inhaled this much plutonium’: 5 staff exposed to radiation in Japan lab accident

The accident occurred at 11:15am on Tuesday in the analysis room of the facility dedicated to researching improved nuclear fuel for its fast reactors.

One of the five men opened a metallic cylinder where the fuel, a mixture of uranium and plutonium, is stored before and after experiments. In the process, the double plastic wrapping inside which the radioactive material is kept ripped, and the toxic substance burst into the air.

Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of the Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA), which has frequently criticized the JAEA for the conditions at its facilities, said “workplace complacency” was possibly to blame.

The NRA said the workers had never experienced a similar plastic rip before, and as a result, did not feel the need to complete their research in a tightly sealed environment.

The researcher responsible for opening the box, described as a man in his 50s, had 22,000 becquerels of plutonium-239 detected in his lungs, and the other four between 2,200 and 14,000 becquerels.

https://www.rt.com/news/391283-japan-nuclear-accident-plutonium/

The article says it's not a deadly amount - but I want to know what that translates to in MSv, that's a more useful unit in comparing how bad it is.