Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Captain Blaargh posted:

Also they half-fixed the match maker, and you don't keep getting the same map over and over! :toot:

This is the best change. Now when I get El Halluf I know it isn't one of the three maps that I'll be playing over and over :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSQNFl6dIGI

This owns.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

oh loving god drat it you're almost certainly correct and the "fully loaded" premium tank bundles are going to come with improved equipment soon :(

I think we all know this is exactly what's going to happen.

Atomizer posted:

(e.g. the VTU that I just finished.)

gently caress, now who am I going to platoon with and burden our teams with double VTUs.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Blaargh posted:

Also they half-fixed the match maker, and you don't keep getting the same map over and over! :toot:

Half fixed meaning sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Playing the same tank last time I played I got Stalingrad 6 times out of 15 games.
I haven't seen Prok or Fiery Salient in 4 weeks. Did they remove them?

quote:

But you still can get bottom tier constantly and mediums and heavies count the same when MM is putting matches together. :suicide:

You'll still see games where lights/arty are the top tier of the match

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Barry posted:

I think we all know this is exactly what's going to happen.

I've been describing this as a backdooring of Rubicon 2.0.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Are you schizophrenic?

No, laziness triumphs over all psychological issues.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ranked is so monumentally dumb for Tanks. It works ok for boats, but man does it seem like it would be total rear end for tanks.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ranked is so monumentally dumb for Tanks. It works ok for boats, but man does it seem like it would be total rear end for tanks.

It is, and it is worse than boats. There are no reach this tank and you can't drop below it. 3 hours a day only. Encourages playing for yourself rather than the team (Sims).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

My god the tier V Swedish tanks are just two pieces of flaming garbage.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

well atleast you're popular someone in the vid said they like your vids lul

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

R. Mute posted:

My god the tier V Swedish tanks are just two pieces of flaming garbage.

Do you like really unfair comparisons? Here's the tier 5 Czech and Swede medium tanks compared to the T67. You trade a hell of a lot off for 90 more HP.

Also here's the tier 5/6/7 Swedish TDs. Have fun with the tier 6!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hellsau posted:

Do you like really unfair comparisons? Here's the tier 5 Czech and Swede medium tanks compared to the T67. You trade a hell of a lot off for 90 more HP.

I unironically liked the 103, gave up on the line with the 65

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Azhais posted:

I unironically liked the 103, gave up on the line with the 65

It's outrageous that the tier 6 has that poor damage output and doesn't get a turret.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hellsau posted:

I've given up on the TDs, really. Can't be bothered. But I am going to get through this medium piece of poo poo. Nearly there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

It's outrageous that the tier 6 has that poor damage output and doesn't get a turret.

If you use the stock gun it's a little bit better and same pen on gold rounds. Still a piece of poo poo though.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

HFX posted:

It is, and it is worse than boats. There are no reach this tank and you can't drop below it. 3 hours a day only. Encourages playing for yourself rather than the team (Sims).

Not true. Once you reach rank 5 (the big single star), you can no longer drop below rank 5.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I kinda feel like 3 should be a safe rank too. Dropping below it and having to play with the really bads crushed my soul tonight.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Darkrenown posted:

I kinda feel like 3 should be a safe rank too. Dropping below it and having to play with the really bads crushed my soul tonight.

Agreed. It would also improve matchmaking in the higher tiers by keeping more people in them, not that it's been particularly bad so far, but interest will drop over time.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Holy cow I did 46 points. Which of the prems should I get, or should I just roll the dice on the mystery package?

M4 Improved, Ram II, or Matilda Black Prince?

Edit: NM I just rolled the dice on surprise crates and just got equipment.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

thylacine posted:

Holy cow I did 46 points. Which of the prems should I get, or should I just roll the dice on the mystery package?

I somehow got 56 points and have not rolled on crates. So I'm still curious which to grab.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SocketWrench posted:

You'll still see games where lights/arty are the top tier of the match
This is a feature not a bug. 3K VK28.01 games every time. How can they have ever thought that putting a tank designed to face tier IXs (albeit breifly) at tier VI and not see tears?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

thylacine posted:

Captain Blaargh posted:

I somehow got 56 points and have not rolled on crates. So I'm still curious which to grab.

The M4 Improved isn't available for gold, so go with that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
hey I'm back playing this terrible game because I'm bored and its summer and I hate fun.

How the heck do I get better at scouting as light tanks? It seems like a lot of it is based on map knowledge, which is sorta hard because theres so many more maps now. Are there any guidelines/newbie tips/YouTube personalities(ugh) that can help me pave my way to success? I'm not totally new at light tanks; I'm rolling with a tier 6 American tank. I think right now my biggest problem is being spotted. I'm still tens of thousands of exp away from Sixth Sense, so I'm having to rely on intuition which isn't exactly great for my hitpoints. I'm making a conscious effort to play conservatively enough so that I survive until the end of the round. But I'm also trying to get some spotting done so I'm not twiddling my thumbs the entire round.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

buglord posted:

hey I'm back playing this terrible game because I'm bored and its summer and I hate fun.

How the heck do I get better at scouting as light tanks? It seems like a lot of it is based on map knowledge, which is sorta hard because theres so many more maps now. Are there any guidelines/newbie tips/YouTube personalities(ugh) that can help me pave my way to success? I'm not totally new at light tanks; I'm rolling with a tier 6 American tank. I think right now my biggest problem is being spotted. I'm still tens of thousands of exp away from Sixth Sense, so I'm having to rely on intuition which isn't exactly great for my hitpoints. I'm making a conscious effort to play conservatively enough so that I survive until the end of the round. But I'm also trying to get some spotting done so I'm not twiddling my thumbs the entire round.

Wargaming has largely reconfigured light tanks from scouts to ~ZOOM ZOOM GO FAST HARASSERS~ and hosed over their view ranges accordingly.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

buglord posted:

Find terrain that has cover and a back slope. Then only stick the absolute minimum of your tank over the edge of the slope behind the bush. You get all the spotting benefits and are:

A harder target allowing for missed shots to warn you of being spotted.
Able to pull back into full cover easily.

Also when top (or even middle) tier forget about spotting and embrace the inner arsehole. Find a good sniping position for the early part of the match (until the enemy dispositions are clearer) then look for ways to get behind people or run amok in the artillery and back rank of non-turreted TDs. Do sick jumps and handbrake slides at all times.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

buglord posted:

These two vids helped me a lot. Especially realizing what you need to expose to actually spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qrQ1UPltXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHOvVEXGdU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Wasted 3 hours to arrive back at there I loving started. Hope you have a OP tank or Strv if you want to loving want to rank up.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Being on US East, and time locked. I will never see any of the equipment

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
my feeling when i been patiently waiting ALL DAY for ranked battles as the pinnacle of the day event for me but then get stuck with family during ranked battles hours gently caress MY DAY because i like tanks but ONLY ranked battles ..while it lasts

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Turmoilx posted:

my feeling when i been patiently waiting ALL DAY for ranked battles as the pinnacle of the day event for me but then get stuck with family during ranked battles hours gently caress MY DAY because i like tanks but ONLY ranked battles ..while it lasts

Are you sure you aren't insane?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

HFX posted:

i have considered that many times and as you im a member here so you fit in with me right :buddy: you should get paid for it "too!"

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I'll only ever see ranked battles on the weekends since I work 2nd shift. I assume a few hours a week won't get my anything as far as ranks go.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

buglord posted:

Don't stop, keep moving or you will be an arty magnet. If their poo poo starts pushing through your spot, don't fight, run away. To be a good scout you need to stay alive. I can't count how many battles I've seen where the lights all die in the first minute or two because they go in fighting and gently caress over the team.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Can anyone sum up the new things since I stopped playing 8 months ago?

I highly doubt you haven't played your 57 accounts in the past 8 months.

Barry posted:

gently caress, now who am I going to platoon with and burden our teams with double VTUs.

Don't worry, I have like 10 other tier 8s to grind!

HFX posted:

I'm sure he is! :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I know that Artillery is for shitheads but I have to play them because missions and all that jazz. With my excuses out of the way, holy loving CHRIST the AMX 13 F3 is just staggeringly, shockingly, loving poo poo. Slow reload, awful shell arc, awkward gun traverse and unbelievably lovely accuracy make every battle nothing but a reason to wander off during the countdown and boil up a Pot Noodle. I hate it. I loving hate it.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
After playing more ranked battles than are healthy already, here are my observations about what tanks do well and which ones should be in the trash heap. Ones with a * next to them are ones I have personally driven.

God Tier:
  • Maus
  • Strv 103B
  • VK 72.01
  • Type 5

Good Tier:
  • TVP
  • E100
  • 215b
  • Grille 15
  • T57
  • Batchat 25t*
  • Object 140
  • Cent AX
  • Object 263

Fair Tier:
  • IS-7* (It would be poor if it couldn't hull down so well.)
  • T110E5* (The cupola is a huge liability).
  • AMX 50B* (Really wants to be good but the softness, reload, and camo kill it)
  • T-62A* (5 degrees of gun depression can make it hard to work ridge lines when your team has collapsed).
  • E-50M
  • M-48
  • Leopard 1
  • Object 430 (You really don't get to put DPM to work).
  • T110E3
  • STB-1 (I could argue for this one being higher)
  • FV215 183
  • Object 268

Poor Tier:
  • IS-4*
  • Krag
  • Lights
  • FV4005
  • PzKpfw VII
  • T110E4*
  • JPZ100

Poor life choices:
  • Artillery
  • Foch 155

The god tier all seem to have this common unifying theme except the Strv 103B. It's asset is to be that rear end in a top hat who farms damage gaining you chevrons even while losing.

HFX fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 8, 2017

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I know that Artillery is for shitheads but I have to play them because missions and all that jazz. With my excuses out of the way, holy loving CHRIST the AMX 13 F3 is just staggeringly, shockingly, loving poo poo. Slow reload, awful shell arc, awkward gun traverse and unbelievably lovely accuracy make every battle nothing but a reason to wander off during the countdown and boil up a Pot Noodle. I hate it. I loving hate it.

This is the exact artillery that I'm on in the only line that I've played for the same reason. I don't have any other frame of reference but it's really not very good or remotely fun to play.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Barry posted:

This is the exact artillery that I'm on in the only line that I've played for the same reason. I don't have any other frame of reference but it's really not very good or remotely fun to play.
It's bad, even by general standards of how unfun it is to play Artillery. It's better than the Tier V in the same line (another clicker which I absolute detested the grind for) by way of simply having a better gun, but it's still utter poo poo.

While I often get hosed off by the abysmally shite range and piddly alpha of the FV304, that thing actually hits targets every 12 seconds and races around like a medium. The Hummel is more accurate than the F3 and hits harder, while also reloading faster. The M44 is laughably broken has range, accuracy, and a good reload time. Oh and all of those SPGs actually have decent gun elevation/shell arcs, so you can drop poo poo right on someone's head, unlike the 13 F3.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The M44 is laughably broken has range, accuracy, and a good reload time.

Did you miss when it had HEAT shells? You could pen for 700+ and one shot tons of tanks at that tier, it was glorious when it didn't hit tracks or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

HFX posted:

God Tier:
  • VK 72.01

Poor Tier:
  • PzKpfw VII