Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/publicroad/status/872451722815451136

gently caress you US Weekly. Why are they printing this regime propaganda?

You shared their cover right? It seems to have worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The nothing matters comments feel a lot like clinical depression.

I think they sound more like what the alt-right became after it became unfashionable to be ironically, nihilistically right-wing. Ironically, nihilistically, left-wing.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The nothing matters comments feel a lot like clinical depression.

There is always this for which to hope.

https://www.aanda.org/component/article?access=doi&doi=10.1051/0004-6361/201730787

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crabtree posted:

How many people are connected to Rosnef exactly?

All of them. Even you.

Especially you.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Care to fit any more cliches into that sentence?

Putin is sweeping through the Middle East like a big wheel through a cotton field.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

There Bias Two posted:

I was in the drugstore the other day and the National Enquirer's cover was about Megyn Kelly - her SECRET PLASTIC SURGERIES, THINGS SHE DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW, and WHY SHE HATES PREZ TRUMP!!!. The tabloid rags have fallen hard. They know where their audience is.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Comstar posted:

How much money is 19% of Rosneft worth? Because Russia and Trump look to be trying to start a war (by putting pressure on Qatar) to get it back, cheap. That's the motive. Russia sold it to Qatar and wanted to get it back, and Trump was the man who can make it happen.

Doesn't need to be a war, strangling Qatar economically is easy-peasy and already underway.

Their deepwater port access is through another UAE member.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think they sound more like what the alt-right became after it became unfashionable to be ironically, nihilistically right-wing. Ironically, nihilistically, left-wing.

Sure thing, Deak's parachute.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mcmagic posted:

ah yes, us! weekly, the journalistic juggernaut known for in-depth reporting and absolutely not selling out every single moralistic and naturally good element of society in the name of dollars spent by the karen handels of the world at the checkout counter

us! weekly, most commonly seen alongside print media displaying headlines such as 'elvis alive! and loving the corpse of princess diana!' and 'kanye...pregnant!?'

how could we possibly have seen this coming

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

There Bias Two posted:

Ah yes, they'll be swimming in dough now that mcmagic has shared their cover.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Ever heard of "depressive realism"?

Someone who thinks that a terrorist attack in Tehran will interrupt an FBI investigation into Russia hacking the DNC isn't a realist, they're just really stupid.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

mcmagic gets in line at the checkout counter. "bat boy?? i can't believe this propaganda"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

mcmagic gets in line at the checkout counter. "bat boy?? i can't believe this propaganda"

US Weekly is pretty mainstream. It's not Weekly World News or even the Enquirer.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

No, not well known bastion of journalistic integrity US Weekly!

Or is this :thejoke:?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I'm so sad the weekly world news is gone 😞

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

mcmagic posted:

US Weekly is pretty mainstream. It's not Weekly World News or even the Enquirer.

if it makes you feel any better there is not a single person alive that reads that magazine, has any serious takeaways and is also politically redeemable

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Crain posted:

Soooooo, this seems like a bad case for two reasons. One being the potential implications down the line, and the other being just a poor focus.

#1: I don't think this is really a constitutional question. Lots of people have brought up records keeping laws in relation to tweets being deleted, and sure it's something that should be upheld, but it's not a constitutional situation and I don't think the SC will hear it because of that.

#2: If it does go to the SC I don't think the result, if they rule that blocking people is against the first amendment, will be limited to the Office of the President or elected officials in general. Which could mean that blocking people in online forums is unconstitutional. Basically it would state that: Yes, the first amendment guarantees you an audience wherever you want one. Or at least a venue.

Which could be good or bad in the long run, but with the current state of internet discourse and RU backed harassment rings I think it'd be a step back.

Your number 2 makes no sense. The government can't compel a private company to give you a speech platform. It could only apply to the government, and, if there was a ruling, would most likely only apply to what was deemed official government speech or platforms. So maybe the president can't block you on twitter (at which case a sane president just abandons twitter) but it's not like they can stop twitter from banning random schmucks, even if those schmucks happen to work for the government in some capacity

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

skylined! posted:

if it makes you feel any better there is not a single person alive that reads that magazine, has any serious takeaways and is also politically redeemable

I think more people read it than you think. Especially suburban women who should theoretically be reachable.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I was in the drugstore the other day and the National Enquirer's cover was about Megyn Kelly - her SECRET PLASTIC SURGERIES, THINGS SHE DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW, and WHY SHE HATES PREZ TRUMP!!!. The tabloid rags have fallen hard. They know where their audience is.

The moron vote is certainly tending towards the Republicans these days.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

skylined! posted:

ah yes, us! weekly, the journalistic juggernaut known for in-depth reporting and absolutely not selling out every single moralistic and naturally good element of society in the name of dollars spent by the karen handels of the world at the checkout counter

us! weekly, most commonly seen alongside print media displaying headlines such as 'elvis alive! and loving the corpse of princess diana!' and 'kanye...pregnant!?'

how could we possibly have seen this coming

Hey gently caress you I needed to know why the Flip or Flop couple's marriage exploded.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Todays hearings are starting on C-SPAN 3. Warner has already said he plans to ask Coats and Rogers if yesterdays stories were true.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

TARDISman posted:

Hey gently caress you I needed to know why the Flip or Flop couple's marriage exploded.

And what she's looking for in a rebound.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Kinda hosed up that US Weekly would put out that cover specifically to disrupt Comey's hearing. Look at the timing folks

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I think more people read it than you think. Especially suburban women who should theoretically be reachable.

couple million? how much overlapping in the venn diagram of 'people who read obviously poo poo rag us weekly' and 'irredeemable idiot' do you suspect?

also this may shed some light

https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpetersen/the-national-enquirer-just-bought-us-weekly-heres-why-that?utm_term=.qf0PRgBaL#.xu9lXnZRJ

this article i found posted:

The Company Behind "The National Enquirer" Just Bought "Us Weekly" — Here's Why That Matters

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, Us Weekly was recently bought out by the same people who own the Enquirer. Their primary objective as a publication right now is to make Jared/Ivanka our William/Kate.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

TARDISman posted:

o drat what issue was that in

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, you know, why don't progressives buy up media companies? It seems like a fantastically successful strategy for the right.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
And now a brief history of intelligence collection

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So....are y'all telling me that the mysterious 19.5% share in Rosneft from the Steele dossier was sold to Qatar, and now Russia+Trump are encouraging a rift between KSA and Qatar to pressure Qatar to return the shares?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

fsif posted:

Yeah, Us Weekly was recently bought out by the same people who own the Enquirer. Their primary objective as a publication right now is to make Jared/Ivanka our William/Kate.

Prepping for Ivanka 2032?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So....are y'all telling me that the mysterious 19.5% share in Rosneft from the Steele dossier was sold to Qatar, and now Russia+Trump are encouraging a rift between KSA and Qatar to pressure Qatar to return the shares?

At a substantial loss to Qatar, if I'm following this correctly. (or at least, this is the presumed 'end game' scenario of the whole fiasco)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

* Checks his papers*

Yes, this appears to be this mornings conspiracy theory.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

And what she's looking for in a rebound.

Apparently the architect they have on half their episodes. Something new needs to happen I'm too bored.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If Trump is making pissy statements because his son-in-law is getting headlines over him, I wonder how a cover story of his daughter saying he's wrong will play.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Comstar posted:

And THERE IT IS. THE RUSSIAN CONNECTION. The man the President wants to be the FBI head's law firm is a consultant for Rosneft.
King & Spalding is a biglaw firm with a zillion employees and clients. Unless Wray was personally assigned to Rosneft stuff this is a Mensch-level stretch.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

fsif posted:

If Trump is making pissy statements because his son-in-law is getting headlines over him, I wonder how a cover story of his daughter saying he's wrong will play.

Likely with Ivanka missing part of her scalp, if history has taught us anything.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Holy poo poo. Coats has been talking about NASA for at least a minute now, and I was so confused. He just realized he was saying that and corrected to NSA.

e: If you aren't watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41rdxjyYmE8

e2: lol now he can't pronounce "herculean"

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 7, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Holy poo poo. Coats has been talking about NASA for at least a minute now, and I was so confused. He just realized he was saying that and corrected to NSA.

e: If you aren't watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41rdxjyYmE8

e2: lol now he can't pronounce "herculean"

hhhERR

HHeeeRCLEAn

really big efforts man

like huge efforts

how do you say it her-clee-in

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Comstar posted:

And THERE IT IS. THE RUSSIAN CONNECTION. The man the President wants to be the FBI head's law firm is a consultant for Rosneft.

http://www.energyintel.com/pages/articlesummary/895380/us-firm-to-consult-rosneft-on-lng

And who, you may ask, is Rosneft? This article from 2 hours ago:

Here's his firm bio: http://www.kslaw.com/people/Christopher-Wray

As you'd expect from someone who used to be in the DOJ, his area of practice is representing companies and individuals getting investigated by the government. That article on Rosneft looks like more of a corporate matter that he wouldn't be involved in.

And as Elotona said, King & Spalding is a huge firm, with 900 lawyers spread out over 19 offices, it's a stretch to assume a random client of the firm was his client without some reason to link them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Jeez even Vox is getting in on Leakfest '17

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/872422256005263360

Isn't McCabe testifying today? Someone text Warner

• Locked thread