Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kai Tave posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've heard people say for years that "GMS on the internet isn't the same as GMS in person and he's actually a really nice and cool guy" but I don't believe that how people act on the internet is really this vastly different alternate personality from how people are in real life such that they might as well be two separate people and GMS on the internet is a complete rear end in a top hat who unironically acts like an internet tough guy and tries to sue random mailboxes.

Honestly, having been there to see him angrily make threats against random fields in Iceland while people who clearly knew what they were talking about tried to talk him off the ledge? That actually makes me feel more sorry for him, not less.

It feels like bad form to make a practice of regularly mocking somebody who clearly has problems, even if they only amount to "horrifically poor judgment all the time", when his capacity to do further harm has been reduced to pretty much zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's cool for feel sorry for someone in GMS's position in an abstract way. I seriously don't begrudge people who feel a need, spiritual or otherwise, to empathize with jerks online, its just what some people choose to do with their limited emotional and mental resources.

People are literally theorizing that a jerk who made off with people's money has a mental illness, though, which is the worst, most misguided form of empathy I can imagine. Most of my friends have a mental illness of some variety and none of them have ever ripped off thousands of nerds. Don't contort GMS into a mentally ill victim. It's cruel to those who actually have mental illness to lump them in with some guy who can't finish writing the grappling rules for his traced-art cowboy game. Even if he were mentally ill, your empathy should be independent of that - either you feel bad for losers who self-sabotage or you don't. There's nothing intrinsically ennobling about mental illness.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
That kind of thing isn't really restricted to Kickstarter in the RPG industry, nor is it even a new notion, its just made it worse. It used to be that publishers would just promise the moon, now that they can make money doing it... I just was recently reminded that I preordered a book six years ago. The last chunk of preview material came out four years ago. Publisher still says it's coming out. Sure, they're apologetic, but are yearly updates to much to ask for? :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I guess its a fundamental empathic failing of mine that when I see someone whose problems are almost entirely a result of them being a huge rear end in a top hat to everybody all the time my reaction isn't "oh no, I feel so sorry for them" but "good."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Oh man I saw all these posts in the Kickstarter thread and thought there might be some new kickstarters to look at but hey

nope

it's just more talking about GMS

again

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Impermanent posted:

It's cool for feel sorry for someone in GMS's position in an abstract way. I seriously don't begrudge people who feel a need, spiritual or otherwise, to empathize with jerks online, its just what some people choose to do with their limited emotional and mental resources.

People are literally theorizing that a jerk who made off with people's money has a mental illness, though, which is the worst, most misguided form of empathy I can imagine. Most of my friends have a mental illness of some variety and none of them have ever ripped off thousands of nerds. Don't contort GMS into a mentally ill victim. It's cruel to those who actually have mental illness to lump them in with some guy who can't finish writing the grappling rules for his traced-art cowboy game. Even if he were mentally ill, your empathy should be independent of that - either you feel bad for losers who self-sabotage or you don't. There's nothing intrinsically ennobling about mental illness.

I don't disagree with you. I had exactly one professional encounter with him back in 2005, and he was perfectly polite to me. I occasionally bump into him in Facebook conversations and he's kind of just another angry mouthy liberal, which is fine because I can be too on my off days.

drat right there's nothing ennobling about mental illness, and self-sabotage sucks. People with mental illness still have to take some level of responsibility for themselves and their actions. gently caress, I don't even know if he is mentally ill. The thing I can do though is empathize with someone self-sabotaging because I do it to myself all the loving time and it blows.

Totally unrelated: has anyone heard anything about Rise of Tribes? I got emails that a bunch of people I follow on KS backed it, and I've never heard of it. The Deluxe Edition looks kind of cool.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MollyMetroid posted:

Oh man I saw all these posts in the Kickstarter thread and thought there might be some new kickstarters to look at but hey

nope

it's just more talking about GMS

again

Well, in (checks watch) two and a half hours, the new Fragged Empire KS launches. So that'll be something.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Peas and Rice posted:

Totally unrelated: has anyone heard anything about Rise of Tribes? I got emails that a bunch of people I follow on KS backed it, and I've never heard of it. The Deluxe Edition looks kind of cool.

Love the artwork; especially how diverse each tribe looks.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Expanded Fragged Empire is up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Those tiers seem like a good deal if you don't already have any of the books.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Love the artwork; especially how diverse each tribe looks.

Just me, or is the team-caricature poster pretty cringey?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

jmzero posted:

Just me, or is the team-caricature poster pretty cringey?

Nice Mystery of the Druids cosplay, Aaron

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Those tiers seem like a good deal if you don't already have any of the books.

$30 dollarydoos for both sourcebook PDFs is a pretty nice deal I think, plus $40 for all the others from the line--I already have the two archives and it's probably not worth it for the adventures and reference thingie.

Sadly their print costs are less friendly, plus shipping which is not unreasonable but adds up to more than I can currently spend.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd say the adventures aren't great, so you can skip those yeah.

But sadly I have to pass on the printed books for now too due to funds. Which sucks, because the printed books are so nice.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Yeah, I don't know if he's corrected them, but some of the adventures had some really weird phrasing and typos. It almost seemed like it was someone for whom english wasn't a first language (which was not an issue with the core, if that's a concern to anyone).

Also, regarding GMS and mental illness: I am in fact mentally ill (severe depression that's been medicated for nearly 20 years now), and I still managed to write an entire Ph.D dissertation in less time than Far West has taken. Just saying.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Remember that Gareth Michel Skarka's first reaction when he found inklesspen's "is far west out yet?" page was to dig through the webpage data to find inklesspen's real name and make a public post on twitter/facebook (I forget which) complaining about the website while using inklesspen's real name as a call-out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Google plus, actually. At the time (and maybe this is still true?) that's where a bunch of industry folk congregated.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Pathfinder: Kingmaker kickstarter is now up and is currently funded at 146k out of a 500k goal

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Pathfinder: Kingmaker kickstarter is now up and is currently funded at 146k out of a 500k goal

Wait, are they doing a direct port of the TT rules?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

Maybe? The pitch mentions feats and archetypes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

S.J. posted:

Seems so.

quote:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is the first single-player computer RPG based on the acclaimed Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm 100% leery if they're going to port straight from the TT rules. Obviously there's going to be some mechanical modifications, but I'll probably wait until after release to see if it definitely is worth taking a look at

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Didnīt DDO already try and totally fail at that, because it showed that the rules, as adapted to the computer, were basically 80s version of bad rpgs controls and backgrounds?
Hell, Iīm currently playing Baldurs Gate and those ADnD rules are frickin awful in some regards, I remember often going at odds with Neverwinter Nights (where it was less clear, but still happened) and Neverwinter only works because itīs basically an action game built on 4€ and doing exactly what that game tried and where it worked. But also...itīs a soulless MMO. So yeah.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
DDO and Neverwinter only pay lip service to D&D's rules: they "resemble" them, and you can make vague connections from your tabletop knowledge, but they're definitely not directly ported over, and I would argue that the games are a lot better for it.

I think it's certainly possible to make a direct port of D&D/PF rules to the computer (to an extent, there are also certainly spells/abilities that are open-ended enough to be impractical to try and emulate), but whether or not that's going to be a compelling experience is another question altogether.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Apparently in early Cyberpunk 2077 discussions the CD Projekt guys were like "let's do a straight conversion of the TT game" and even Pondsmith was like "that's an extremely bad idea". Exceedingly few TRPGs would make for good CRPGs.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hopefully this goes better than PAFFFINDER ONLINE

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It would be difficult for it to go worse.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

AEGIS: Super Combining Robot Tactics has a little over two days left, and is just over $2k from unlocking the final card stretch goal. Right now it's a really good deal for $50 with almost 100 robots in the box, better components, and alternate play modes.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well, I'm a big sucker for NWN1/2 style games, and this looks like more of that so I'm willing to take a chance on it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Apparently in early Cyberpunk 2077 discussions the CD Projekt guys were like "let's do a straight conversion of the TT game" and even Pondsmith was like "that's an extremely bad idea". Exceedingly few TRPGs would make for good CRPGs.

thank god

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I completely forgot Pondsmith was collaborating on that. But yeah, even the KS'd Shadowrun games didn't straight adapt from tabletop and that's one of the few games where they could have picked an edition and made it work in my opinion.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd say the adventures aren't great, so you can skip those yeah.

But sadly I have to pass on the printed books for now too due to funds. Which sucks, because the printed books are so nice.

I just backed to get both of the new books in hardcover. The hardcovers of the Core and Protagonist Archive are gorgeous alright.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kaza42 posted:

Well, I'm a big sucker for NWN1/2 style games, and this looks like more of that so I'm willing to take a chance on it

Same, I'm bracing for a burn but A) from what I remember Kingmaker was a solid adventure series, and B) I'm willing to take a gamble on the hope of some sweet NWN style fun.

There certainly seems to be passion behind it, which hey that's something, it feels like it's a proper project rather than 'hey nerds you like pathfinder? What if that was on your computer?'

You know, like something was.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

No, because it's going to be pausable real-time ala Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity. (I think maybe it's even using Pillars' engine? I forget if that's a thing.). The only D&D games that have been arguably directly faithful to the actual tabletop rules are the Gold Box SSI games and Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.

That said, hopefully it will be a reasonable facsimile thereof because I'd much rather play 3E/Pathfinder on a computer where I have control of the whole party and the computer deals with a lot of the math than ever again at the table.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

malkav11 posted:

No, because it's going to be pausable real-time ala Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity. (I think maybe it's even using Pillars' engine? I forget if that's a thing.).

It's not. It's using Unity, but that doesn't mean it has very much in common with Pillars at all. Unity is off-the-shelf, lots of games use it.

The development company, Owlcat, is a spinoff of Nival, of HOMM V and Silent Storm fame. It's being published by my.com, best known for, uh, Warface and Allods. my.com is the games-and-some-other-stuff subsidiary of mail.ru, a huge Russian internet conglomerate that owns and operates VKontakte, among other things.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

sexpig by night posted:

Same, I'm bracing for a burn but A) from what I remember Kingmaker was a solid adventure series

Were you GMing? I personally found it a cool concept but hard core garbage to actually run in practice, and with a whiplash and barely foreshadowed final boss.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Were you GMing? I personally found it a cool concept but hard core garbage to actually run in practice, and with a whiplash and barely foreshadowed final boss.

I was a player so I can't speak to the GM perspective. It was with my regular group and I don't remember if our dude running it took a hot knife to it to make it work a bit better like he had for past adventure paths so this could 100% be the mists of nostalgia making me think it was better than it was

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

sexpig by night posted:

I was a player so I can't speak to the GM perspective. It was with my regular group and I don't remember if our dude running it took a hot knife to it to make it work a bit better like he had for past adventure paths so this could 100% be the mists of nostalgia making me think it was better than it was

My tip: Unless you were making spreadsheets for the kingdom management stuff a hot knife was involved. The fundamental problem with the entire AP is the pacing doesn't work with the game system, and the kingdom building minigame was extremely terrible, so they patched it, and now it's merely 'very bad.' As a result I'm pretty dubious about anyone porting it unless they are going to change the underlying system and everything else.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The Lost Citadel just got funded. I can't decide what I think. The setting sounds a little generic honestly, but they have a bunch of well qualified people and horror writers trying to flesh it out and make it interesting, which could make it worth it in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

My tip: Unless you were making spreadsheets for the kingdom management stuff a hot knife was involved. The fundamental problem with the entire AP is the pacing doesn't work with the game system, and the kingdom building minigame was extremely terrible, so they patched it, and now it's merely 'very bad.' As a result I'm pretty dubious about anyone porting it unless they are going to change the underlying system and everything else.

Playing it with 5e DnD, definitely finding it hard to be invested and the mechanics for the kingdom just appear dumb from the outside.