Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ah yes, Kitty's classic move "Giant Titty Grab Into Living Phaser"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, I was thinking of all the comics where Kitty murdered like a ton of people by phasing through them, turning them into glowing purple sparks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She can do that.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
Instead of making Carnage playable, they should add the best X-Man, Cypher, instead. Just make him play like Typing of the Dead. This would unironically own more than anything they are going to do with Carnage.

Hire me if you want more great ideas like this Gaz

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i turned the pc version on to get some free stuff

do people even pick up unique items any more, unless they're weird obsessive collectors like i am? seems to me that current cosmics are better than uniques, except in certain limited cases.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The chances of getting a cosmic that outperforms even the worst unique is much much lower than getting the same unique with slightly better stats.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Motherfucker, War Machine is actually a lot of fun. Once I got past the initial "I want to shoot everyone not use chainsaws :mad:" it became hilarious, but I don't want to spend money to unlock him. I'm not giving you £13 for him, Sony...at least not this month. :negative:

Still, Punisher's at 60 and I'm having fun running Super Heroic. Need to pull my thumb out and go for Cosmic though - keep getting hosed by the Red Skull and those HYRDA mechs which spam a ton of AOE. Can't stand still long enough to doa ny appreciable damage.

cams posted:

yes, the ps4 is not a direct port but rather a different version of the game. it may be best to think of it as a reset button on the bloated, worthless mess that was the pc version. it is a chance to make a better game.

also future fight only qualifies as a video game in the loosest possible sense of the term

Hmm, is there a decent list of the main differences?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
One of my biggest gripes about the PS4 version is that when you get multiple heroes on the screen firing off their effects it just drags the PS4 to a crawl. They should probably tone down the effects of heroes who aren't your own so that the console doesn't choke on itself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of all the comics where Kitty murdered like a ton of people by phasing through them, turning them into glowing purple sparks.

yeah I was thinking of that too because it actually happened once

granted she didn't actually kill anyone in that comic

wait

enhance

cams
Mar 28, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Motherfucker, War Machine is actually a lot of fun. Once I got past the initial "I want to shoot everyone not use chainsaws :mad:" it became hilarious, but I don't want to spend money to unlock him. I'm not giving you £13 for him, Sony...at least not this month. :negative:

Still, Punisher's at 60 and I'm having fun running Super Heroic. Need to pull my thumb out and go for Cosmic though - keep getting hosed by the Red Skull and those HYRDA mechs which spam a ton of AOE. Can't stand still long enough to doa ny appreciable damage.

Hmm, is there a decent list of the main differences?
PC has Story Chapter 10, a Skrull terminal, One-Shots, 2 more Patrols, Age of Ultron, Holo-Sim, X-Def, Raids, Limbo, Team-Ups, and over 20 characters the PS4 doesn't currently. The only ones I really miss are Holo-Sim, and X-Def, and Patrols. Would like to see the One-Shots and maybe Limbo come over eventually. Raids and team-ups can gently caress off.

Item system has been completely overhauled as well. I am way too lazy to make a comprehensive list, but stat systems have been changed substantially and items were changed to reflect this. I think it is mooostly for the better right now, though there are some problems with it. Chief among them is that very little was done with the UI with regard to this and there are errors all over the place, including the entire, and only real character sheet you have access to in the Inventory menu.

On PC, story only has two difficulties but other modes have a "Cosmic" option. Even without Omega items/difficulty, the PS4 difficulty system is different. Start on Normal, at level 11 unlock trials. Heroic trial unlocks heroic difficulty/items, Super Heroic unlocks Super Heroic difficulty/items, Cosmic trial unlocks Cosmic difficulty/items. Scaling here is kiiinda rough at the moment and tons of people are whining. I am not sure yet. Crafting system way different too, this one objectively for the better.

Costumes are not "items" any more, so prestiging gets you some splinters (like 5) and some other small stuff. Also, your name does not change color but you get an icon instead. Complaining about this is super dumb but I miss name colors.

This is the biggest stuff. Right now, the PS4 version is a "narrowed" version of the game. Really, both the PS4 and PC versions are incomplete until Omega Items/Difficulty come out soooo

Ghostlight posted:

The chances of getting a cosmic that outperforms even the worst unique is much much lower than getting the same unique with slightly better stats.
i feel like it's closer than that. hrm.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

cams posted:

i feel like it's closer than that. hrm.

That of course will depend on the hero and slot unique you're talking about, and how long you've been picking up that slot's unique and getting better rolls. I got that 1k hours on deadpool and I still pick up his uniques. There are a couple stats I could stand to improve on some but who am I kidding, at this point I'll never find better ones. Of course I could turn off the cosmic vacuum for some slots, but that's way too many cosmics dropping and checking. I just wouldn't bother with it.

At this point with them simplifying things, it might actually be nice if uniques were a little less unique, so you could more easily eyeball the difference between them and cosmics. But really who cares when you know Omegas will be out eventually and nullifying all this hard work you've put into min/maxing your slot 4 booties.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So a friend got me started on this for the PS4 and it seems like a horrible mess of microtransactions. Any advice on that front or is this 100% a game where you're spending $$$?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i've hit single digit framerates on ps4.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

queeb posted:

yeah i've hit single digit framerates on ps4.
they did some small framerate fixes between closed beta and early access, but yeah. framerate is going to be an issue going forward. midtown is a fuckin nightmare.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

cams posted:

they did some small framerate fixes between closed beta and early access, but yeah. framerate is going to be an issue going forward. midtown is a fuckin nightmare.

Yup. It's great (it's not) when I'm pressing triangle and five seconds later the skill goes off because my framerate had dropped to 3 FPS and the game took forever to catch up.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

Yup. It's great (it's not) when I'm pressing triangle and five seconds later the skill goes off because my framerate had dropped to 3 FPS and the game took forever to catch up.

tbh i am okay abandoning patrols as a concept. 5 player max no teamups.

i just accidently cosmic prestiged my iron fist. i was gonna prestige my loki but forgot i had switched to iron fist to open boxes. was using iron fist as my endgame dude.

never playing him again

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

PJOmega posted:

So a friend got me started on this for the PS4 and it seems like a horrible mess of microtransactions. Any advice on that front or is this 100% a game where you're spending $$$?

I don't know what the beginning experience is like because I got some bonuses for being in the closed beta, but they give you enough splinters to buy one character. There's some amount of hours of free entertainment there, you can play to max level and do everything everybody else is doing. If you play long enough, you may eventually get enough splinters for another character.

There are some lovely microtransaction stuff like paid items to increase your ultimate ability, but can also be purchased with splinters. They definitely incentivize you to spend money. Each additional level 60 character, up to 10 total I think, provides you with a permanent experience boost and each level 50 character, also up to 10 total I believe, is a small stat boost for each of your other characters. Nothing in the PS4 version currently necessitates this level of commitment, but technically to maximize a single character you would need 10-11 characters total.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cool, fair enough. Guess I'll stick with the PS4 version anyway - prefer playing with a controller, and not paying for either one anyway. :v:

Was curious if there was anything that made one worth playing over the other, but doesn't seem to be. Largely a solo player.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
I finally got around to playing the PS4 version and I mean, sure, it's less bloated than the PC version, but it feels a lot slower and some of the framerate issues are really loving bad. I just can't get into it. I guess I'm doomed to be a QA tester on PC. :smithicide:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

mystic pimp posted:

I finally got around to playing the PS4 version and I mean, sure, it's less bloated than the PC version, but it feels a lot slower and some of the framerate issues are really loving bad. I just can't get into it. I guess I'm doomed to be a QA tester on PC. :smithicide:

The frame rate issues are really confusing. I played this a bit on the PC years ago and I don't remember that much slow down. And that was with disparate hardware to deal with.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The PC offers graphics options though, and given that are designing to a set piece of hardware for the PS4 they've probably fiddled with the rendering options even though I think they've never fixed the quirk on the PC where lowering the graphics quality actually worsens the framerate.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Throwing squirrels is viable all the way to 60 I hope.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I think her melee options (NUTCRACKER) are technically better but I leveled her up to 60+beyond no problem. SG is one of the best.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
If you ever want to troll some people in chat, just point out how lazy and bad the Helicarrier TU is. People will white Knight anything, it's beautiful.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

poptart_fairy posted:

Motherfucker, War Machine is actually a lot of fun. Once I got past the initial "I want to shoot everyone not use chainsaws :mad:" it became hilarious,

Thanks for mentioning this, I had had randomly gotten him from a box but found it kinda Meh till I switched to trying melee only and man, it's pretty sweet

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Donde Esta posted:

If you ever want to troll some people in chat, just point out how lazy and bad the Helicarrier TU is. People will white Knight anything, it's beautiful.

TU?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Team-up.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Throwing squirrels is viable all the way to 60 I hope.

If you are on PC ranged squirrel build is definately viable, melee is slightly better but not massively so. No idea about console.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

you can get some mildly interesting bloodstone rings now

Old ones got changed too if you had any saved

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 9, 2017

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Jusupov posted:

Figures. Just burned like 80 boxes last week and deleted all of it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

They announced the full release date for the PS4 version, it is on the 30th. Three weeks from now.

This game is absolutely not ready for release.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

cams posted:

They announced the full release date for the PS4 version, it is on the 30th. Three weeks from now.

This game is absolutely not ready for release.

yeah its kinda uhh... not amazing

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Jusupov posted:

Saw one with like 4000 BDR linked, pretty crazy.

Coincidently If you bought the 2 crates of eternity splinters they have been refreshed in the vendor.

Kea fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 9, 2017

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Kea posted:

Saw one with like 4000 BDR linked, pretty crazy.

Coincidently If you bought the 2 crates of eternity splinters they have been refreshed in the vendor.

Hah figures - bought Cap, that lovely turd of a helicarrier TU, Cosmic reactor and cosmic star.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the carrier seems like a great deal if you want to convert them to a bunch of ultimate upgrade tokens. I haven't tried but it's still listed as available to buy after buying it once already. Might be worth it if you have a bunch of cake hanging around.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Jusupov posted:

I got a great melee/STR one a week or so ago, but when I checked the stats it counted like a few over the total on the second BSR. The two at the bottom weren't actually stacking, which I guess is what the alt-text is only listing the lower total.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can't buy the carrier if you've already activated the team-up.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

davebo posted:

I got a great melee/STR one a week or so ago, but when I checked the stats it counted like a few over the total on the second BSR. The two at the bottom weren't actually stacking, which I guess is what the alt-text is only listing the lower total.

Someone in trade was saying theirs was giving them all the listed stats but that guy might just be a tard.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Ghostlight posted:

You can't buy the carrier if you've already activated the team-up.

oh drat, thats weird that it still lists it then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Just don't activate it and keep buying them