Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

RaySmuckles posted:

spurs took the regular season 2-1

lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's not even about returning to OKC or not.
Like I could understand him going to Boston, The Lakers or The Wiz at this point. Just drat...he made basketball really not fun to watch.

Like has anyone here had a good time watching playoff basketball this year? I mean I enjoyed the Cavs run and all, but man.

The first GSW/Spurs game was what we all wanted and the disappointment of Kawhi's injury has pulled a black veil over the entire playoffs, but there's been lots of fun basketball. Remember CHI/BOS, which the Bulls would have won had not an injury befallen RAJON RONDO the playoff quitter?

The first couple of games of Jazz GSW were fun, the Jazz Clippers series was good fun, Houston OKC was a battle. Boston/ Washington was a 7 game melee of 5 guys against 10 guys. MIL/TOR exhibited how good Milwaukee could be if they had more shooting and experience. Add that all up and you get 3 good 7 games serieses, 1 good 6 game, and about 5 or 6 individual games featuring the Cavs and Warriors, pre finals. We forget how much more intense and great the playoffs are because they last for 5 months, but go to NBAHD.com and watch a game from 2 weeks before the playoffs and compare it to one of those Bulls Celtics games. Everything is more intense, counters to counters to counters are deployed. It's good. The three point dominant playstyle does mean more blowouts when one team is hot and one is cold, but you should judge the games by how they felt to watch, not the numbers at the end.

It's the playoffs, series are going to be sabotaged by injuries and one or two teams will probably be better than everyone else by a lot. I honestly prefer it to the coin flip nature of the NFL. The patriots have dominated the NFL by understanding that it's a big asset play and getting their 30m qb to take like 10m per year for a decade. It's nearly impossible for other teams to do that. The only other consistently dominant team was the Seahawks when they had a solid starter playing on a rookie contract. Everything else is coin flips, injury luck, turnovers, poo poo like that.

There was plenty of good to be had in the playoffs if you could look past the Cavs and Warriors.

The NBA is like boxing, there are hundreds of punches thrown and it's about how you land them, how you defend them, how you slip them, feeling out the opponent and responding to their combinations. There's a mini drama unfolding each possession.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 7, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I enjoyed most of the series that didn't involve Cavs or Warriors. Turns out watching one clearly better team beat up a worse team is kinda boring.

First two games of Pacers/Cavs was good though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have lakers at less than max space for pg13 including this years number 2 pick and roster holds

All they have to do is trade clarkson I guess to get clear

But if they sign waiters to a conservative 20 million a year deal it would be tight .

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

You don't have to cover your hurt with laughter here.

Lebron has been talking about wine a lot. Lebron to the Spurs is pretty much a done deal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wine plus left wing politics

Yeah. Spurs it is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RaySmuckles posted:

that being said, what's to stop the spurs going well over the cap this year since they'll have so much more room next year and can probably fall back under it?

There is a cap and a tax line. Depending on what Gasol does, the Spurs are basically at cap already for next year. That means they cannot sign Free Agents above minimum level. But there is a thing called Bird Rights that let you resign players if they have played with you for 3 years plus (or 2 years with restrictions). That is how teams end up way over the cap, usually guys on rookie contracts get max contracts and push the salary up.

Golden State had a confluence of factors to sign Durant last year, including a big jump in the cap that is not happening again in the foreseeable future.

If Gasol doesn't opt in, the Spurs have a little bit of money to play with, but we're talking $15 million or less. Not sure what that gets you in Free Agency. If Gasol does opt in, they are pretty much at Cap right away.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I haven't watched a single game of these Finals and I'm not sure I plan to. seems boring af tbh. thx for the grim reaper or slim reaper (or whatever wack rear end name he gave himself) for killing basketball
Timmy should've just joined Kobe and Shaq I guess

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I haven't watched a single game of these Finals and I'm not sure I plan to. seems boring af tbh. thx for the grim reaper or slim reaper (or whatever wack rear end name he gave himself) for killing basketball
Timmy should've just joined Kobe and Shaq I guess

For all the talk of killing Basketball, the first 2 Finals games were the highest ratings for a Finals since Jordan. While we would have loved a Bucks/Jazz finals, once again we are an awful representation of the NBA fanbase.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/05/nba-finals-ratings-most-watched-jordan-1998

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

For all the talk of killing Basketball, the first 2 Finals games were the highest ratings for a Finals since Jordan. While we would have loved a Bucks/Jazz finals, once again we are an awful representation of the NBA fanbase.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/05/nba-finals-ratings-most-watched-jordan-1998

Great news for the NBA.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

euphronius posted:

I have lakers at less than max space for pg13 including this years number 2 pick and roster holds

All they have to do is trade clarkson I guess to get clear

But if they sign waiters to a conservative 20 million a year deal it would be tight .

I would rather have Clarkson than Waiters. Their production is extremely similar and Clarkson is locked in to make $12-13m / season till 2020.

The Lakers real problem is holy hell they are paying Deng and Mozgov a combined $34m until 2020.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bashez posted:

You don't have to cover your hurt with laughter here.

Lebron has been talking about wine a lot. Lebron to the Spurs is pretty much a done deal.

I'm laughing at the validity of the 2-1 Spurs "record" over the dubs this past season.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the worst part of that Georgian's war crimes is the terrified and praying Warriors fans suddenly getting all smug and assured despite never once managing to show any sign of a sustained comeback while my man tha klaw was on the court. took their best shots and the power of narrative momentum, in golden state, and it didn't mean poo poo. it looked like the first game of the season
game 1, sure...but we'll never know....

give zaza finals MVP

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Mr_KevinJones/status/872147922791661568

Does this mean the W's are using Friendship Basketball techniques

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Can't be friends with a 🐍 imo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Are we now at the point where Spurs fans have to point to regular season success and injury what ifs? My how the haughty have fallen

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I can't imagine what's it's like to have your championship aspirations derailed by the other team playing dirty. Sounds terrible.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Mr_KevinJones/status/872147922791661568

Does this mean the W's are using Friendship Basketball techniques

I love to date my friends. Good for them.

warcrimes posted:

I'm laughing at the validity of the 2-1 Spurs "record" over the dubs this past season.

Add another one to Bashez's scoreboard

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bulls swept the heat in 2011 regular season

How did that turn out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Are we now at the point where Spurs fans have to point to regular season success and injury what ifs? My how the haughty have fallen

nombre shut up GO SPURS GO

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Just read on HoopsHype that Jimmy Butler has been asking the Bulls to go after Melo. This would be the best course going forward for all parties imo. Alphas abound

Thinking about Jimmy, Wade, Rondo and Melo trying to share the ball is giving me an aneurysm

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 7, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

Just read on HoopsHype that Jimmy Butler has been asking the Bulls to go after Melo. This would be the best course going forward for all parties imo. Alphas abound

I Want to Believe.

Rondo / Wade / Butler / Melo / ?

Who is the most Alpha big man that they can get?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dwight?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Thinking about Jimmy, Wade, Rondo and Melo trying to share the ball is giving me an aneurysm

I mean, why not? You can't/don't want to rebuild yet you don't really have anyone developing, you're not a contender. Just stack the team with names and be fun & bad in the playoffs as a 6 seed.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I Want to Believe.

Dwight or Tyson Chandler would really put them over the top as favourites for the 2012 championship.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I Want to Believe.

zoux posted:

Dwight?

That would be beautiful

Lockback posted:

I mean, why not? You can't/don't want to rebuild yet you don't really have anyone developing, you're not a contender. Just stack the team with names and be fun & bad in the playoffs as a 6 seed.

I'm all for it and would watch every single one of their games, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if I were Bulls fan though cuz it would just be prolonging the inevitable teardown with a circus sideshow

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
They already have the mascot alpha in Robin Lopez so why would they need to replace him?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Late to the party but Chris Paul/Green/Kawhi/Lebron/Aldridge would absolutely destroy the warriors because of their defense alone.

For like one year, though because Lebron and Paul are getting old.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

loving christ if this is how the bulls finally got melo, just like how they finally got wade

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cool Buff Man posted:

That would be beautiful

I'm all for it and would watch every single one of their games, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if I were Bulls fan though cuz it would just be prolonging the inevitable teardown with a circus sideshow

Who the gently caress cares anymore. The front office is 100% untouchable due to ownership. gently caress it go full on circus next year.

Butler is gone in 2 years. Wade's gone after next year. Rondo's gone after next year. Melo's contract is up in 2 years with Butler IIRC

Butler and Melo the next two years, and just build a fun team until everyone leaves and you are forced to rebuild.

This is the play of course because neither Michael Reinsdorf, John Paxson or Gar Foreman are going anywhere anytime soon.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Melo to Bulls
Rose stays on the Knicks
The era of super teams continues

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Remember when Derrick Rose said that the Knicks were a super team?

That was funny

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Remember when Derrick Rose said that the Knicks were a super team?

That was funny

I mean they are getting paid like a super team.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Who the gently caress cares anymore. The front office is 100% untouchable due to ownership. gently caress it go full on circus next year.

Butler is gone in 2 years. Wade's gone after next year. Rondo's gone after next year. Melo's contract is up in 2 years with Butler IIRC

Butler and Melo the next two years, and just build a fun team until everyone leaves and you are forced to rebuild.

This is the play of course because neither Michael Reinsdorf, John Paxson or Gar Foreman are going anywhere anytime soon.

Well then, I can root for it to happen in good conscience.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dejan Bimble posted:

The first GSW/Spurs game was what we all wanted and the disappointment of Kawhi's injury has pulled a black veil over the entire playoffs, but there's been lots of fun basketball. Remember CHI/BOS, which the Bulls would have won had not an injury befallen RAJON RONDO the playoff quitter?

The first couple of games of Jazz GSW were fun, the Jazz Clippers series was good fun, Houston OKC was a battle. Boston/ Washington was a 7 game melee of 5 guys against 10 guys. MIL/TOR exhibited how good Milwaukee could be if they had more shooting and experience. Add that all up and you get 3 good 7 games serieses, 1 good 6 game, and about 5 or 6 individual games featuring the Cavs and Warriors, pre finals. We forget how much more intense and great the playoffs are because they last for 5 months, but go to NBAHD.com and watch a game from 2 weeks before the playoffs and compare it to one of those Bulls Celtics games. Everything is more intense, counters to counters to counters are deployed. It's good. The three point dominant playstyle does mean more blowouts when one team is hot and one is cold, but you should judge the games by how they felt to watch, not the numbers at the end.

It's the playoffs, series are going to be sabotaged by injuries and one or two teams will probably be better than everyone else by a lot. I honestly prefer it to the coin flip nature of the NFL. The patriots have dominated the NFL by understanding that it's a big asset play and getting their 30m qb to take like 10m per year for a decade. It's nearly impossible for other teams to do that. The only other consistently dominant team was the Seahawks when they had a solid starter playing on a rookie contract. Everything else is coin flips, injury luck, turnovers, poo poo like that.

There was plenty of good to be had in the playoffs if you could look past the Cavs and Warriors.

The NBA is like boxing, there are hundreds of punches thrown and it's about how you land them, how you defend them, how you slip them, feeling out the opponent and responding to their combinations. There's a mini drama unfolding each possession.

I generally agree with this sentiment, but it's gonna be hard not to be disappointed if this series doesn't end up being competitive, and even more so if we end up with a 4peat next year. I can take a lot of joy out of the rest of the playoffs and even a regular season where half the games are effectively pointless, but it still sucks to see a bad finals.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Who else did the Bulls miss on in 2011 that they can get

Is Brandon Rush available

Can OJ Mayo re-join the league

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

i sorta doubt those ratings keep up if the finals continue to be non-competitive

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Tae posted:

Can OJ Mayo re-join the league

is he banned or just suspended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Horry talking poo poo about Manu and Timmy.

• Locked thread