Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

doubling your native sales globally sounds neat on paper but only really counts when you're a blockbuster movie working in nine or ten figures. with the astronomical price of top-shelf game development, yeah, it made money against its operational expenses, but if it was their only ip, they'd be in deep poo poo i bet
lol, they've said that persona 5 has made them more money than literally any other game they've ever made, but okay. im sure the guy who shat out some crayon drawings onto steam is an industry insider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No see Persona 5 had to be a failure because

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Phantasium posted:

Maybe I'm following a tortured bit of logic, but I think it would be lovely if there was a named update to Minecraft explicitly embracing the LGBTQ community as I feel that would piss off notch?

I mean maybe notch in his making GBS threads the bed state has not actually come out against LGBTQ people but I've kind of walled that off in my mind as him being the type of shithead that would be bothered by something like that.

But it's just an update emphasizing having nicer colors.

Holy LOL.

This is a double lol. The first lol is the idea of "an update explicitly the embracing LGBTQ community". What is that exactly? "Patch notes: we love the gays". Or maybe they update every skybox to include a rainbow?

The second lol is the idea of tailoring game updates with the expressed goal of pissing off a reclusive billionaire, one whom you aren't even sure would be angered by it anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

10 Ways the New Minecraft Update Promotes LGBTQ Acceptance - #3 SLAMS Notch...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No, not literally adding it to spite a billionaire, you moron.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finally two block-shaped men can marry each other.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I would be glad if Persona 5 was successful and encouraged Atlus and other developers to make more games like it because it is Insanely Good

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Phantasium posted:

No, not literally adding it to spite a billionaire, you moron.

Oh ok you're fantasizing about a situation in which a pro-LGBT patch (still lol'in) pisses off a reclusive billionaire, one whom you aren't sure would care anyway. But it happens coincidentally.

Yeah that's much more reasonable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh ok you're fantasizing about a situation in which a pro-LGBT patch pisses off a reclusive billionaire, one whom you aren't sure would care anyway. But it happens coincidentally.

Yeah that's much more reasonable.
it's fun to poo poo on notch, because he is a total fuckhead who deserves to be poo poo on.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

it's fun to poo poo on notch, because he is a total fuckhead who deserves to be poo poo on.

I liked those fake tweets about him being lonely and not understanding why money didn't make him friends. But from what people knew of Notch they just assumed the tweets were real lol.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Motto posted:

persona isn't an AAA game

Another indie gaming success story!?!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I can see that but usually you poo poo on people for reasons that include why they're bad rather than making up a reason that you think maybe he's bad and then making GBS threads on him because of that. Like that post seems to be the equivalent "I hope they make it so you can't kick puppies in Minecraft because I bet Notch loves kicking puppies and that'd piss him off!"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, but that would require taking a refresher down his tweets and I'm not doing that, it was a stupid thought, sorry.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dear goons: buying and making games out of spite is stupid and weird as hell, and is a bad look for anybody.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

Dear goons: buying and making games out of spite is stupid and weird as hell, and is a bad look for anybody.

Every time someone disparages the good name of anime I buy an adult visual novel on Steam out of spite.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordja posted:

doing anything out of spite is stupid and weird as hell, but it is the human condition.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao if you live for anything but spite

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP0MXJAQhmo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i support the lgbtq patch

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
living well is the best revenge my friends

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I support doing things to make Notch mad because it manifests in literal cocaine binge Twitter tirade rants with Jayden Smith-esque epiphanies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Every time someone disparages the good name of anime I buy an adult visual novel on Steam out of spite.

i do this with or without people disparaging anime

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my posts have most often been compared to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I see it. I can feel it. I have something. It's somewhere...

:pcgaming:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kotaku did a reporting thing and has a giant rundown of everything that went wrong with Mass Effect Andromeda

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here's what went wrong: they made a 4th mass effect

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Just quoting this to remember to read it after lunch because I can't even imagine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

normally i lump kotaku articles in with buzzfeed as internet garbage but as someone who's been really curious for a post-mortem of mass effect andromeda since it washed up on the beach wrapped in plastic this is a good read

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

normally i lump kotaku articles in with buzzfeed as internet garbage but as someone who's been really curious for a post-mortem of mass effect andromeda since it washed up on the beach wrapped in plastic this is a good read

I think it is like Buzzfeed that it is mostly awful garbage but with all those resources they some how have, they once in a great while will do something good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

most of kotaku's actual articles are pretty good. they had a great post-mortem of that xmen game by the eternal darkness guys too. it's just 99% clickbait and lists.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Schreier does good work at Kotaku.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They're willing to piss off developers and publishers for the sake of a good scoop and I appreciate that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"Frostbite is wonderful for rendering and lots of things,” said a person who worked on the game. “But one of the key things that makes it really difficult to use is anything related to animation. Because out of the box, it doesn’t have an animation system.”

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It kinda sounds like they almost made some sorta Proto-No Man's Sky and then scrapped it during development. Lotta wasted work if true

quote:

“We started to realize by summer 2015 that we had great technological prototypes, but we had doubts they would make it into the game,” said another person who worked on the game. The Andromeda team had gotten systems like spaceflight up and running, two people said, but they couldn’t figure out how to make those systems fun to play. “I think production reality hit hard and they had to make some really strong cuts.”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It always seemed pretty obvious to me that Andromeda's production was in trouble from the very beginning. AAA developers do not wait to show actual gameplay footage one month prior to release unless they've got a real stinker on their hands and wanna fleece nerds for $200 collector editions (game not included). Confident projects are proud to show off and both Zelda/Horizon had a wealth of in-game footage and demos out on roughly the same production cycle.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
:siren: SWAT 4 SALE! :siren:
https://www.gog.com/game/swat_4_gold_edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D8roQX1mKU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Trying to remember the name of a game that I saw a video about once a few months ago and wanted to look up again. Fairly recent 4-player 2D versus action game, where you throw a ball around a room and try to deflect it into the other players. The ball gets faster and faster over time, until it's going at like mach ten and will vaporize whoever it hits. Last man standing wins. Slick visuals, I want to say it's on PS4 but I'm not sure.

Did I hallucinate this game existing? I can't remember the title and I can't find anything like it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

im sure the guy who shat out some crayon drawings onto steam is an industry insider.

Don't do this poo poo here

ProfessorProf posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game that I saw a video about once a few months ago and wanted to look up again. Fairly recent 4-player 2D versus action game, where you throw a ball around a room and try to deflect it into the other players. The ball gets faster and faster over time, until it's going at like mach ten and will vaporize whoever it hits. Last man standing wins. Slick visuals, I want to say it's on PS4 but I'm not sure.

Did I hallucinate this game existing? I can't remember the title and I can't find anything like it.

Was it Lethal League?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not the summer sale yet.

• Locked thread