Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Nocturtle posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to the 2016 presidential primaries, where the much higher than normal turnout for the Republican contests was hand-waved away by very knowledgeable people. Don't you know that the number of primary voters isn't correlated with turnout during the election?

...Republican turnout in the election wasn't significantly difficult from normal. Primary turnout was because of the nature of the race, not Republican enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Crain posted:

Soooooo, this seems like a bad case for two reasons. One being the potential implications down the line, and the other being just a poor focus.

#1: I don't think this is really a constitutional question. Lots of people have brought up records keeping laws in relation to tweets being deleted, and sure it's something that should be upheld, but it's not a constitutional situation and I don't think the SC will hear it because of that.

#2: If it does go to the SC I don't think the result, if they rule that blocking people is against the first amendment, will be limited to the Office of the President or elected officials in general. Which could mean that blocking people in online forums is unconstitutional. Basically it would state that: Yes, the first amendment guarantees you an audience wherever you want one. Or at least a venue.

Which could be good or bad in the long run, but with the current state of internet discourse and RU backed harassment rings I think it'd be a step back.
For #1, Trump has clearly made twitter a public communication tool relating to subjects that are within the purview of his office, and this communication channel is two-way. That means that it is subject to the "right to petition the government" part of the first amendment. A solution to this is to make it not a two-way communication channel, so there could not be any commenting on it at all. But to pick and choose who gets to comment, especially based upon the content of their speech, seems a blatant violation of the first amendment.

For #2, that's not how the first amendment works. It applies to the government, not to private entities.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The nothing matters comments feel a lot like clinical depression.

"We cannot diagnose Trump with a mental disorder just by watching the way he behaves. It has to be an in-person diagnosis by a qualified professional."

and then

"The pessimistic comments by these posters indicate they have clinical depression."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The nothing matters comments feel a lot like clinical depression.

I stop short of saying "nothing matters" but we're going to have testimony on the congressional record today and tomorrow clearly showing the president committing obstruction of justice and nothing is going to happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I did not hear until just now that Sessions offered Trump his resignation because of tensions between them and Trump refused?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I did not hear until just now that Sessions offered Trump his resignation because of tensions between them and Trump refused?

Correct, you did indeed not hear until just now.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The case is predicated on the government using twitter as an official medium and thats why you see so many public orgs hesitant to engage with social media, because its a pandoras box that you dont want to not have control of people screaming about how you're actually illuminati and what not.

Under current precedent, Trump can't block people, but twitter can do whatever it wants.

Which is why Twitter must die because theyre ultimately responsible for the Orange Orb Goblin.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trying to watch the hearings at the moment and the youtube chat is being spammed to death by Trump trolls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's not so much "nothing matters" as "the amount of evidence and magnitude of wrongdoing it would take for all of this to matter to the people with the power to do something about it is so high that it's unrealistic to hope for it to happen."

That said, I'm pretty sure if Trump is reelected in 2020 it's going to break a lot of our brains forever, politically-speaking.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Looking into Wray, he seems like the sort of relatively normal pick you'd expect a relatively normal Republican president to pick. He's a republican and by all indications relatively trusted by mainstream republicans but I don't see anything indicating personal Trump connections/loyalty. Most of the dirt that's been dug up so far doesn't really seem that meaningful.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Trying to watch the hearings at the moment and the youtube chat is being spammed to death by Trump trolls.

Why would you ever bother looking at or keeping chat visible. Its literally youtube comment livestream

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

evilweasel posted:

Here's his firm bio: http://www.kslaw.com/people/Christopher-Wray

As you'd expect from someone who used to be in the DOJ, his area of practice is representing companies and individuals getting investigated by the government. That article on Rosneft looks like more of a corporate matter that he wouldn't be involved in.

And as Elotona said, King & Spalding is a huge firm, with 900 lawyers spread out over 19 offices, it's a stretch to assume a random client of the firm was his client without some reason to link them.

Used to work for K&S myself. They sure do represent a lot of people getting investigated by the government for corruption.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilmiera posted:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?429451-1/senior-national-security-officials-testify-fisa-authority&live

c-spans sterility is good to combat that

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

evilmiera posted:

My friend have a seat, I have something terrible to tell you about live video chats for the past 5 years or more.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Looks like Coats and Rogers aren't gonna say poo poo

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Random question, since things are fairly quiet right now.

When folks talk about "no young democrats coming up the ranks", why is there no mention of former WA governor Christine Gregoire or current governor Jay Inslee? I'm not saying that there isn't a problem within the party, it just seems odd that since there is, these folks are generally being ignored.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Solkanar512 posted:

Random question, since things are fairly quiet right now.

When folks talk about "no young democrats coming up the ranks", why is there no mention of former WA governor Christine Gregoire or current governor Jay Inslee? I'm not saying that there isn't a problem within the party, it just seems odd that since there is, these folks are generally being ignored.

They aren't white men. The Democrats have plenty of up and coming talent, but most of them are people of color or women. Thus anyone writing fluff pieces about the democrats bench pretty much ignore them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This is one of those things that seems bad, but isn't once you think about it. Any lawyer nominated as director of the FBI is going to have former DOJ/FBI experience. If they are not currently in the government, there's really only one thing you can do with that experience: defense work. There aren't private prosecutors, so if you're not in the government but you have a lot of experience in government investigations/prosecutions, the jobs that fit your experience are defending people in those investigations/prosecutions. That's where virtually all former DOJ lawyers go. I mean, what else would they do?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Is anyone watching this? Rogers is trashing that story and saying he's never been pressured or ordered to do anything illegal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Looking into Wray, he seems like the sort of relatively normal pick you'd expect a relatively normal Republican president to pick. He's a republican and by all indications relatively trusted by mainstream republicans but I don't see anything indicating personal Trump connections/loyalty. Most of the dirt that's been dug up so far doesn't really seem that meaningful.

He's a party hack and his leading the FBI for 10 years would be a very bad thing. No dem should vote yes and give them the cover of bipartisanship.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

"I cannot say anything bad about the president in a public session, he will be very mean to me on twitter"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Elotana posted:

Looks like Coats and Rogers aren't gonna say poo poo

Yeah. loving cowards.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/872464825858879489

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Democratic party is your Grandpa who just found discovered Livejournal and insist you reactivate your account so you can be LJ buddies

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Elotana posted:

Is anyone watching this? Rogers is trashing that story and saying he's never been pressured or ordered to do anything illegal.

He's not denying the story, he's just denying that the president pressured him or felt that it was an illegal request. Since he isn't outright denying it I'm assuming he felt that Trump was just being an idiot and not malicious.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

mcmagic posted:

He's a party hack and his leading the FBI for 10 years would be a very bad thing. No dem should vote yes.

You think they are going to put forward a better guy? I doubt any of the better guys would say yes.

But the best thing would be for Dems to stall him if they can, until there's enough rope out in the public knowledge for Trump to hang himself with.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He's a party hack and his leading the FBI for 10 years would be a very bad thing. No dem should vote yes and give them the cover of bipartisanship.

OK, what's the basis for that then?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Starting to think Saudi Arabia is a pretty crummy geopolitical actor

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

Oooooohhhhhh, Shhhhiiitttt.......

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

OK, what's the basis for that then?
gently caress you that's why? Republicans just ran a six-year shitshow of obstruction and got rewarded with unified government. Dems shouldn't be giving Trump a single confirmation vote for Deputy Postmaster General.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
"With all due respect, my colleague is full of poo poo and I'm a shill attempting to gloss over the whole 'obstruction this, obstruction that' nonsense."

/me furiously googles senator jim risch

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I feel like today's hearing is a preview of the wet fart we are going to get from Comey tomorrow.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elotana posted:

gently caress you that's why? Republicans just ran a six-year shitshow of obstruction and got rewarded with unified government. Dems shouldn't be giving Trump a single confirmation vote for Deputy Postmaster General.

I'm not interested in the political debate regarding if Trump nominees should get any D votes no matter what, I'm interested in if he's actually a problem or not.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What do you want to bet Russian hackers planted this story too

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/872443376901160960

quelle surprise

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

uh that's bad

iran nuke deal lookin better and better at least in the short term holy gently caress

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

I feel like today's hearing is a preview of the wet fart we are going to get from Comey tomorrow.

Yep. Nothing matters!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Aww, poo poo.

This could be very bad.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

They aren't white men. The Democrats have plenty of up and coming talent, but most of them are people of color or women. Thus anyone writing fluff pieces about the democrats bench pretty much ignore them.

I get your greater point, but Jay Inslee is a really white dude. Shame about Gregoire, she's pretty badass and doesn't have a problem defending herself from bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What do you want to bet Russian hackers planted this story too

Son of a biscuit they need to repeal Poe's Law

• Locked thread