Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So it went from Elon saying it won't cost more than a regular roof, to it won't cost more than a regular roof adjusted for the savings to it will cost more than a regular roof, including the savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
roof made of solar panels is more expensive than roof made of tar paper, terracotta, sheet metal

surprise!

Honestly I dunno what the advantage of the tiles was supposed to be, other than aesthetics. Why can't people just put regular solar panels on their roofs like they do now?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Sagebrush posted:

roof made of solar panels is more expensive than roof made of tar paper, terracotta, sheet metal

surprise!

Honestly I dunno what the advantage of the tiles was supposed to be, other than aesthetics. Why can't people just put regular solar panels on their roofs like they do now?
You nailed it, aesthetics. The value proposition is inherently dependant on your location, too. And biased against multi-storie homes and anywhere energy is already cheap.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well, he did say it, so there. The point was only aesthetics, perhaps a secondary point was that it would somehow integrate better with existing roofs.

I learned a lovely nerdy word trying to poo poo on Apple at some point, skeumorphism. In that case it was an e-book app which was actually praised for having a wooden background with your ebook titles shown as sort-of actual books sitting in sort-of actual bookshelf. Very stupid. Why should a solar roof have to look like a 19th century roof? Having a solar panel shaped like a solar panel has to be cheaper and more effective than hundreds of interlocking, interconnected solar panels shaped like Tuscan terracotta. A smooth, shiny black roof surface will look futuristic as gently caress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

surprise!

Because regular solar panels get hosed up by weather :shrug:

The tesla tiles are made of gorilla glass, and are supposed to be able to survive 30 years of hailstorms.

If you run the slider down to 0% solar tiles, it's about $15,500 which is twice the price of a shingled roof here, which lasts at best 10-15 years. Even without the solar aspect, you're coming out ahead if you live somewhere that gets hail storms.

They have an "infinite tile warranty" but then list a 30 year weatherization warranty, so i don't know if that means a lifetime warranty against hail damage. If it does, that could be 5 ~$7k shingle roofs in your lifetime in the house.

The solar aspect is something that's going to get better and cheaper every year, so if you can wait, it makes sense to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I mean we have a little cabin up on the river in Quebec that has a galvanized metal roof that's been on there since 1952 with no maintenance other than sweeping the pine needles out of the gutters twice a year. But i'm sure gorilla glass is good too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sick anecdote, bro. Couple more of those and we have a fact.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Powershift posted:

Sick anecdote, bro. Couple more of those and we have a fact.

Eh? That's not really in any sort of dispute--take a look at what this home insurer says, and they'd know:

State Farm posted:

Longevity. Metal roofs can last 40-70 years, depending on the material. Traditional asphalt roofing materials have an estimated life expectancy of roughly 12-20 years.

Durability. Some metal roofs can sustain wind gusts up to 140 miles per hour, will not corrode or crack, and may be impact-resistant (depending on which metal you choose). In addition, metal roofs don't need the periodic costly maintenance that other roofing materials often require. However, they should be inspected periodically to make sure no repairs are required.

https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insights/smart-ideas/wondering-about-metal-roofs-here-are-the-pros-and-cons

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think the point is, having your roofing material made out of glass is inherently a bad idea just from a maintenance standpoint. Even if the warranty is honored, you have to deal with the headache of having your roof repaired. You're also invested in an expensive propriety system, while pv panels keep getting better and cheaper.

Even now, many (anecdotally, most) pv installations won't pay for themselves within their expected lifetime. Obviously there are exceptions to that, but the point being that switching to a product that costs so much more out of the box doesn't make much economic sense, which imo relegates it to being an expensive gadget.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What roof only lasts 5 years? I need to get into that industry ASAP.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What roof only lasts 5 years? I need to get into that industry ASAP.

Tornado and hurricane country. My roof in OKC was less than a decade old and had holes almost 2 feet across punched through by hail during tornadic hailstorms.

Sagebrush posted:

I mean we have a little cabin up on the river in Quebec that has a galvanized metal roof that's been on there since 1952 with no maintenance other than sweeping the pine needles out of the gutters twice a year. But i'm sure gorilla glass is good too

I'm sure the Canadian market is exactly where they're looking to break into first.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

The tesla tiles are made of gorilla glass, and are supposed to be able to survive 30 years of hailstorms.

I'm not saying it's marketing bullshit, but gorilla glass can't even hold up to being attached to a phone and dropped from a height of 2 feet or so. So unless they're talking about those little bb sized hailstones that come from regular thunderstorms, I'm skeptical of that claim.
Now I'm picturing some territorial bird pecking its reflection in all the tiles and destroying someone's roof.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Finger Prince posted:

I'm not saying it's marketing bullshit, but gorilla glass can't even hold up to being attached to a phone and dropped from a height of 2 feet or so. So unless they're talking about those little bb sized hailstones that come from regular thunderstorms, I'm skeptical of that claim.
Now I'm picturing some territorial bird pecking its reflection in all the tiles and destroying someone's roof.

Being dropped on the edge, particularly the corner, seems to be a weak spot of gorilla glass. Hits to the "face" on the other hand it's pretty good. That seems like it would be a pretty ideal tradeoff for a roof, shouldn't be much hitting it on the edges.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's not Gorilla Glass.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why not just make a metal solar panel?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Elephanthead posted:

Why not just make a metal solar panel?

My wonderful parking spot neighbor managed to drive straight into my model S' rear door over the weekend. There is some crumpled but still intact aluminum, handsome paint transfer from his car to mine on the rim*.

Now for the fun part, he disappeared after doing this. Haven't seen his car since. My only saving grace is that he lives in a high end condo high-rise with me, I have his information, and one of the staff who likes me happens to know where his law office is, and went and took pictures of his badly damaged bumper with white paint transfer.

I have left a voicemail for him that hasn't been returned, anyone know the next step? I will update with repair costs.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 7, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Sicilian posted:

I have left a voicemail for him that hasn't been returned, anyone know the next step? I will update with repair costs.

Report it to your insurance company, they employ lawyers of their own to make people pay.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

duz posted:

Report it to your insurance company, they employ lawyers of their own to make people pay.

My rates will not raise? The building has threatened him with fines until he contacts me. I am willing to wait 1-2 more business days.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Sicilian posted:

My rates will not raise? The building has threatened him with fines until he contacts me. I am willing to wait 1-2 more business days.

If they are able to recoup all of their losses from the other driver's insurance, then theoretically no. Insurance companies do what insurance companies do. You'll also be out your deductible until they can get the other insurance to take responsibility.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

So is that not considered a hit and run because it was on private property? Or maybe something like vandalism?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Sicilian posted:

As Goober Peas said, it shouldn't, but you never know what insurance companies will do. If your complex is taking care of motivating him, then wait for that before contacting insurance.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phuzun posted:

So is that not considered a hit and run because it was on private property? Or maybe something like vandalism?

It's absolutely a crime of some sort. My first call would've been police non-emergency, second insurance. If the neighbor wasn't proactive about making me whole, I don't feel any need to protect them from the system that will make me whole.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's absolutely a crime of some sort. My first call would've been police non-emergency, second insurance. If the neighbor wasn't proactive about making me whole, I don't feel any need to protect them from the system that will make me whole.

I was going to be nice to the guy; and get a savage rear door panel off of eBay for $300-$500, have it painted and installed. Keep the cost as low as possible and make me whole again.

Now the entire car is going to Tesla and will be replaced at full price through his insurance. Giving it one more day.

Also LAPD non emergency wouldn't come out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Model Y teaser.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/06/tesla-model-y-teaser/

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

That's probably going to be good for another couple points on the stock, but geez... can you please start actually producing things in volume Mr. Musk?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

He's learned that in this day and age, hype is 75% of success... Maybe more.

Seriously though, could they maybe show off a whole concept model? They are essentially just confirming a Model Y will have a roof and hood per that image. Like poo poo, couldn't imagine it would lack either of those things.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's all there is. Model 3 was new from the bottom up, this is top-down design.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phuzun posted:

He's learned that in this day and age, hype is 75% of success... Maybe more.

Seriously though, could they maybe show off a whole concept model? They are essentially just confirming a Model Y will have a roof and hood per that image. Like poo poo, couldn't imagine it would lack either of those things.

Everyone does this though. Aston teasing nothing more than a silk sheet over a car shaped thing, Jaguar teasing just the roof line profile with the F-type, Viper with the headlights. It's basic marketing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

Everyone does this though. Aston teasing nothing more than a silk sheet over a car shaped thing, Jaguar teasing just the roof line profile with the F-type, Viper with the headlights. It's basic marketing.

And at the extreme end, Dodge doing it for months on end with the Demon, to the point that I actually got bored with it before the unveil.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Model Y is supposed to be a small crossover, right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The Model Y is supposed to be a small crossover, right?

Yes.

By the way, it was supposed to be based on the Model 3 platform, but apparently they've changed their mind after Model X experiences. Probably a good thing. A fossil drivetrain in a unibody is pretty complex and worth platform engineering, but the electric skateboard, while not quite a frame car, is probably a bit different. They'll obviously have the same battery supplier and I guess will reuse a lot of parts, software etc. The kind of stuff we associate with the term "platform engineering" anyway.

But there isn't room at the Gigafactory to make the Y, so they'll have to build a new plant somewhere else. So an official unveil is probably many years away still.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
When is the Model 3 realistically going to start shipping, by the way?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bolind posted:

When is the Model 3 realistically going to start shipping, by the way?

Well given they are building pre-production and production ready testers down the line right now with a bunch of production ready testers on the road right now, the July guesstamate is looking fairly good.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You can only select color and wheels on the first Model 3s, Tesla is keeping the complexity down. Good for them.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/tesla-model-3-you-can-only-select-colour-and-wheels

But I thought this bit was very interesting about the 4WD:

quote:

So, early Model 3 configurations will be simple, and as soon as this first version is worked out, Musk will work on rolling out other versions. The idea to kick off with a dual motor version has also been canned. “We thought we’d just doubled the probability of something going wrong, because they’re two different motor architectures.

“One motor is optimised for highway travel, and one is optimised for stop and go traffic.
That’s too much complexity right off the bat,” he said, “so it’ll just be single motor to begin with. Then we’ll have the dual motor configuration, if we’re lucky, towards the end of this year, or early next year.”

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Ola posted:

You can only select color and wheels on the first Model 3s, Tesla is keeping the complexity down. Good for them.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/tesla-model-3-you-can-only-select-colour-and-wheels

But I thought this bit was very interesting about the 4WD:
Same as they are on the model S. Has to do with shaft speeds, afaik.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Same as they are on the model S. Has to do with shaft speeds, afaik.

Oh, I didn't know that, I thought they were the same back to front on the non-P models. Perhaps same motor, different diff?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ola posted:

Oh, I didn't know that, I thought they were the same back to front on the non-P models. Perhaps same motor, different diff?
Or the wiring spooled differently? Dunno. But yeah, front and back are different motors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

While electric motors have a much flatter torque curve and wider "power band" than a combustion engine, you can still optimize the design for different duties. I could believe that there's a not-insignificant improvement in efficiency by designing one motor for low-speed, high-torque usage (around town) and the other for high-speed, low-torque situations (cruising).

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
The biggest news is the model Y switching to a 48V system. This significantly cuts down on wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Anyone know about any realistic reports for electric pickup trucks or other "haul poo poo around" vehicles? I know about the Workhorse plugin hybrid which I'm hoping will be sold to consumers. But its primary market is fleets.

• Locked thread