Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

DuckConference posted:

Apparently when I asked her about it at the start, and she said yes to moving, it was partially because she didn't think much about it, and partially because she didn't think I'd be successful in applying to big tech.

that sounds amazingly lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DuckConference posted:

so the recruiter has told me that I can pretty much expect an offer

since starting the job search process, the girlfriend has gone from being positive on relocating, to lukewarm on relocating, to basically being against it now. So if I accept it, we're going to be mostly long distance for the entirety of the time that I'm working there. Apparently when I asked her about it at the start, and she said yes to moving, it was partially because she didn't think much about it, and partially because she didn't think I'd be successful in applying to big tech. i mean I can understand that it has negatives for her, since she wouldn't be able to work she'd have a big gap on her resume when we eventually come back to canada, and it would mean losing her current job that she really likes. but I mean surely hanging around califonia with tons of free time has some upsides too

but I feel like if I don't take this opportunity, I'm going to regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon enough I'll start wondering what was down that other path. then again I grew up thinking anyone who ditched love for a career was an idiot, and here I am ready to head down that path.

why wouldn't she be able to work?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

why does your gf hate you so much

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Shaggar posted:

why wouldn't she be able to work?
canadia. needs a work visa or a preexisting job offer from us firm.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so have her get one.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

unless she thinks she's even more useless than you are at a big US company

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

option three is to get married

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

so have her get one.

oh shagger :allears:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

'grats cis

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
thanks. giving notice to my boss's boss in an hour because my boss is on sabbatical. the last job i quit was more awful to this one and i literally quit by telling them to gently caress off as i tossed my badge behind me on the way out the door. so this is gonna be a first for me.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

thanks. giving notice to my boss's boss in an hour because my boss is on sabbatical. the last job i quit was more awful to this one and i literally quit by telling them to gently caress off as i tossed my badge behind me on the way out the door. so this is gonna be a first for me.

last time i quit i gave notice both to my boss and his boss (vp eng) the moment my one-on-one started with my boss

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

last time i quit i gave notice both to my boss and his boss (vp eng) the moment my one-on-one started with my boss

this is exactly what i'm doing. i have a 1-on-1 with my boss's boss (whom i hate, but who also has a huge crush on me and it's creepy) and i'm pretty much gonna open with "here's when my last day is, here's what i plan to have wrapped up by that time".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

congrats cislmo

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Captain Foo posted:

congrats cislmo

more like cislmao, at epic, on the way out the door

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

yeah since computer touching is a skilled profession under nafta I can easily get a visa. She wouldn't be able to do the same, the only way would be for a US company to sponsor her which is hard since her skills are like office admin stuff. Even if we were married that wouldn't really change anything.

in fact, since we're not married, even getting her into the country as a non-working dependent could be tricky, although that's trivial if we are married

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

more like cislmao, at epic, on the way out the door

her arms wide, her eyes strong

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DuckConference posted:

yeah since computer touching is a skilled profession under nafta I can easily get a visa. She wouldn't be able to do the same, the only way would be for a US company to sponsor her which is hard since her skills are like office admin stuff. Even if we were married that wouldn't really change anything.

in fact, since we're not married, even getting her into the country as a non-working dependent could be tricky, although that's trivial if we are married

kinda dumb you can't work on a TD visa. she could go to school though?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
:sever:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

oh shagger :allears:

its not that hard.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

godspeed you! figgies goon

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

If you don't put your gpa on your resume I'm never going to ask you what it was, but if you put it on the resume and it's below a 3.5 I will actively hold that against you

yeah my gpa was trash because I was only interested in doing good enough to get my degree and filling up the rest of my time with partying. left it off my resume and it wasn't brought up even once.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's pretty hilarious how dumb the USA's immigration system is

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

It's pretty hilarious how dumb the USA's immigration system is

for real. its pretty much only worth navigating if you are a skilled technical worker because pay for that kind of poo poo is inflated here compared to other countries but if you're like an academic or something why the gently caress would you ever come here with how poorly we value you? universities are even trying to do away with tenure these days.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

for real. its pretty much only worth navigating if you are a skilled technical worker because pay for that kind of poo poo is inflated here compared to other countries but if you're like an academic or something why the gently caress would you ever come here with how poorly we value you? universities are even trying to do away with tenure these days.

the world is full of temporarily embarrassed millionaires

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

Honestly H1b is such a complete poo poo show that it's almost not worth hedging your bets on, even if you are a technical worker. Canada was cool, you can get PR without even stepping foot in the country. You can even get citizenship after 3 years, so I think that means NAFTA becomes available?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Honestly H1b is such a complete poo poo show that it's almost not worth hedging your bets on, even if you are a technical worker. Canada was cool, you can get PR without even stepping foot in the country. You can even get citizenship after 3 years, so I think that means NAFTA becomes available?

last i looked the pay difference between the US and Canada for programmers, for example, was like 40% lower pay in Canada. granted it's not apples-to-apples because there's a hell of a lot of government services available in Canada that would be paid for out of your own pockets in the US, but programmers are on the whole libertarian fuckstains so i doubt that factors into their decision making.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cis autodrag posted:

i accepted the offer.

mishaq posted:

think how good it will feel to never work at epic again

one day- when you're kicking it in the Caribbean- you're gonna say to yourself, 'yospos was right'

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

kinda dumb you can't work on a TD visa. she could go to school though?

she doesn't want to go to school. like I realize there are downsides to not working but surely there are people who would appreciate a 3 year California vacation

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

option three is to get married

I know a guy who did this for the exact same reasons. it cost him a million dollars in RSUs in the divorce.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

last i looked the pay difference between the US and Canada for programmers, for example, was like 40% lower pay in Canada. granted it's not apples-to-apples because there's a hell of a lot of government services available in Canada that would be paid for out of your own pockets in the US, but programmers are on the whole libertarian fuckstains so i doubt that factors into their decision making.

the government services aren't gonna make up the pay + benefits difference. its why this guy is leaving Canada in the first place.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

this is exactly what i'm doing. i have a 1-on-1 with my boss's boss (whom i hate, but who also has a huge crush on me and it's creepy) and i'm pretty much gonna open with "here's when my last day is, here's what i plan to have wrapped up by that time".

👍🏻

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

don't not move for a non-spouse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you could also try it for 6mo/a year and then move back to Canada if you don't like it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

the government services aren't gonna make up the pay + benefits difference. its why this guy is leaving Canada in the first place.

Yup lol pretty much the only reason any american company would set up in Canada would be to take advantage of easy immigration and simultaneously pay less.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Here's a list of all the hot new techs coming out of Canada this decade:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

Here's a list of all the hot new techs coming out of Canada this decade:

One time I saw a Blackberry in real life. It was my dad's. I was 10.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

One time I saw a Blackberry in real life. It was my dad's. I was 10.

blackberry is canadian? lol. i feel like this explains a lot.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Montreal is currently king poo poo when it comes to deep learning but quebec has us-style immigration quotas and poo poo so lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

don't not move for a non-spouse

this is probably the right answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

I know a guy who did this for the exact same reasons. it cost him a million dollars in RSUs in the divorce.

lol :rip:

• Locked thread