Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I Am Crake posted:

On par except for the, you guessed it, laminated display. I agree 120Hz refresh rate and TrueTone isn't something that consumers need, but it's the lack of a laminated display and the case design (smaller bezels) that I find are insulting to limit to the Pro lineup.

I'm really unsure why it's so meaningful as to feel insulted by the iPad lineup.
The iPad Air 2 was $600 at launch and was the "high-end" iPad model. The iPad Pro 9.7" launched at $600 and was the high-end model. The iPad 10.5" is launching at $650 and is now the high-end model. It's not that they're "withholding" features from the non-Pro models, it's that the flagship iPads have gained a bunch of new stuff for a similar price.

e: What I mean is that there's now a middle ground 9.7" iPad offered as a current model in between the Mini and the current high-end 9.7" iPad, which there hasn't been before. You're getting hung up on the name when the pricing for the "flagship" iPad has remained relatively consistent.

ee: Also, most customers aren't going to be "insulted" by the display on a $330 iPad. Because most of the people buying those don't know what the hell that even means.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

sleepwalkers posted:

I'm really unsure why it's so meaningful as to feel insulted by the iPad lineup.
The iPad Air 2 was $600 at launch and was the "high-end" iPad model. The iPad Pro 9.7" launched at $600 and was the high-end model. The iPad 10.5" is launching at $650 and is now the high-end model. It's not that they're "withholding" features from the non-Pro models, it's that the flagship iPads have gained a bunch of new stuff for a similar price.

But I want all the things and for free.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Not that I expected it to work but the new Smart Keyboard for the 10.5" iPad Pro does not work with the 9.7. Mine just arrived. My 256GB 10.5 comes on Tuesday.

How much could I get for a 32gb 9.7 with Smart Keyboard and matching silicon back? No scratches on the screen.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

sleepwalkers posted:

e: What I mean is that there's now a middle ground 9.7" iPad offered as a current model in between the Mini and the current high-end 9.7" iPad, which there hasn't been before. You're getting hung up on the name when the pricing for the "flagship" iPad has remained relatively consistent.

ee: Also, most customers aren't going to be "insulted" by the display on a $330 iPad. Because most of the people buying those don't know what the hell that even means.

I have no idea if those prices are right but if so, I get what you're saying. Over here it's drastically different, when the Air 2 launched (ok yea 16gb but this was the norm in 2014) it was € 499. The Pro 10,5" is € 739. That's a $ 270 difference instead of a $ 50 one.

October 2014 Air 2 price (NL): € 499 - https://www.tabletsmagazine.nl/2014/11/review-apple-ipad-air-2/
Current iPad price: € 409 - https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-9-7
Current price for new iPad Air 2's: € 422 - https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/587415/apple-ipad-air-2-wi-fi-32gb-grijs.html
Current price for iPad Pro 10,5": € 739 - https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro

So yeah, fairly insulting for the price if you ask me.

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 7, 2017

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I Am Crake posted:

On par except for the, you guessed it, laminated display. I agree 120Hz refresh rate and TrueTone isn't something that consumers need, but it's the lack of a laminated display and the case design (smaller bezels) that I find are insulting to limit to the Pro lineup.

The non-Pro displays are still excellent.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_Pro9_ShootOut_1.htm

There is absolutely no reason to feel "insulted" because Apple omitted niche display features from the screens on the non-Pro iPads.

Sure the Pros are still better but that's like being angry you got an A when you could have gotten an A+.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hughlander posted:

At work we always talk about just buying the highest capacity iOS device because you'll regret it later. It's an incremental increase in cost and your only chance to do so is when you buy it. I asked someone to talk me into the 512 for the 10.5" and the comparison was with my current Air2... At the time the Air2 was released they had just doubled the storage from the previous generation. I never thought it'd be filled when I got it. Over the 30 months I've had it, I've constantly hit the size limit and have 6 GB free now.

I expect in the next 3 years that I'd keep the 10.5 512GB will seem the same way.

What are you using so much storage for, work?

My iPad 3 is a 16GB (I believe) and it's a little tight but I'm otherwise fine, but the only things I store locally are games and apps. So I generally lean towards the least storage possible and not paying the relatively large upcharge for more storage.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Protocol7 posted:

There is absolutely no reason to feel "insulted" because Apple omitted niche display features from the screens on the non-Pro iPads.

Look, like I've said before, I'm not looking for the niche stuff like the 120Hz refresh rate or the TrueTone display. I hardly think "a screen that suffers less from glare" is a niche feature. The only similar device price-wise to the Air 2 which HAD this feature back in 2014 is the iPad (see my previous post for the comparison). They took the laminated display out for no other reason than to make the 10,5" seem worth it's money.

The Air 2 was specced and priced like any iPad always had been. They may have lowered the price on the new iPad but guess what? That's because the relative value of an Air 2 (in 2014) beats the poo poo out of the new iPad (in 2017). After three years, you basically have to release it with a faster chip. So they did the bare minimum and took out a great feature.

What Sleepwalkers pointed out here..

sleepwalkers posted:

The iPad Air 2 was $600 at launch and was the "high-end" iPad model. The iPad Pro 9.7" launched at $600 and was the high-end model. The iPad 10.5" is launching at $650 and is now the high-end model.

..does make it look like I'm just flipping out over the name and the 10,5" is the real successor to the Air 2, but the prices he mentioned are in no way representative of the prices here.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm going for it, returned the 9.7 and putting in a 64 gb 10.5 order when I get the refund. Bestbuy.com says June 13 release and they're offering a $25 gift card for preorders

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

10.5 has 4 gigs of ram. Nice.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

I Am Crake posted:

What Sleepwalkers pointed out here..
..does make it look like I'm just flipping out over the name and the 10,5" is the real successor to the Air 2, but the prices he mentioned are in no way representative of the prices here.

Also I just looked up the introductory price for the base model Air 2 in the US and it was $500 dollars, so still a $150 difference. Of course that's for the 16GB model, but that's the only fair comparison considering storage everywhere has increased since 2014.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I Am Crake posted:

Also I just looked up the introductory price for the base model Air 2 in the US and it was $500 dollars, so still a $150 difference. Of course that's for the 16GB model, but that's the only fair comparison considering storage everywhere has increased since 2014.

Yep, my bad, the Air 2 was $500 at launch for 16GB. The prices overseas suck poo poo, I have a bad habit of being US-centric in my comparisons, sorry! It makes a bit more sense because that's a hell of a jump from the 9.7" Pro to 10.5" Pro. Maybe you'll be able to find some outlets selling a 9.7" Pro for cheaper!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
The USD has also been doing quite well in the last several years so you're being screwed by currencies, but that's not exactly an apple problem.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

Biodome posted:

I just sold my old big pro and pre-ordered the new big one with 256gb. I can't wait. I'm thinking they are going to wait another year and a half before refreshing this one so it's nice to get in the ground floor. I actually use the pencil so I will notice the difference with the new screen. Worth it.

Yo how much you get

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

GoldfishStew posted:

Yo how much you get

I just looked on the Craigslist in my area at what they were selling for and tossed it on for $610 and it sold in a few hours. May have been able to fetch $650 if I waited but that's good enough for me.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Unimpressed by the Pro 2 and will be keeping my 12.9 Pro 1. Yawn. Wake me up next year.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

Decius posted:

Apropos iOS 11, I find the sound output switching a clear step back in the beta. Before it was a swipe up and a press to change from external bluetooth to internal iPad speakers (maybe another swipe if you had the wrong CC page open). Now it is a finicky swipe, a long press, another press and then the final selection press.

In the beta, does Files.app allow for any other mounted drives in the vein of Dropbox or iCloud? NAS? Other Mac's on Wifi?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Barry posted:

What are you using so much storage for, work?

My iPad 3 is a 16GB (I believe) and it's a little tight but I'm otherwise fine, but the only things I store locally are games and apps. So I generally lean towards the least storage possible and not paying the relatively large upcharge for more storage.

Photos. Music. Games. Plex videos. I travel internationally 25% of the time on BA with no wifi.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hughlander posted:

Photos. Music. Games. Plex videos. I travel internationally 25% of the time on BA with no wifi.

That last part is what's pushing me from my 32gb ipp to the 10.5. I only got 2 movies on my iPad on the last flight and hotel wifi is loving worthless for streaming.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had to turn off iCloud Photos/Photostream on my 16GB iPad 3. It was the only way to keep my local storage from being overwhelmed.

When I get a new Pro, definitely stepping up to the 256GB tier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

16Gb iPads are disgusting

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Everybody's space needs are different, but I have a 128gb Pro and even with junk I will never use/watch and an OS I've never had to janitor I still have 12gb free.

In my VLC app I have an HD copy of Heaven's Gate. So if I ever get pressed for space I can always delete that 3 and a half hour movie that I will never ever watch.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I have a 256 gig pro and never break 30 gigs. Y'all know about streaming and cloud, right? gently caress y'all with out wifi

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GoldfishStew posted:

I have a 256 gig pro and never break 30 gigs. Y'all know about streaming and cloud, right? gently caress y'all with out wifi

When I'm on an international flight, local storage is important, ya dolt.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

When I'm on an international flight, local storage is important, ya dolt.

Instill tablets are banned by trump...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah am I missing something if I don't feel like selling and upgrading my 12.9" pro is something worth doing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

There will just be less of a market next year for a two year old machine and you wont get as much money. That's how I'm looking at it, at least.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

GP035 posted:

In the beta, does Files.app allow for any other mounted drives in the vein of Dropbox or iCloud? NAS? Other Mac's on Wifi?

At least not yet. It's not anywhere like something like Transmit or Path Finder or similar programs. It's basically a local version of iCloud at the moment, giving you a common local files folder, but all the things except Cloud Storage you usually expect from a file browser (FTP, SMB, WebDAV, Mounting) are currently not implemented.

However once Transmit, Documents, Goodreader implement access to the file storage API you basically have all these services, you just have to go through two different Apps in true Apple fashion to do what you can easily do in one on Linux, Windows, Android and macOS.

Decius fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 8, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

GoldfishStew posted:

There will just be less of a market next year for a two year old machine and you wont get as much money. That's how I'm looking at it, at least.

Given that the Pro doesn't come out every year, it is a hard decision. My screen is perfect but the body has a few nicks on it (nothing serious) so based on what seems to be the going rate I could get maybe 600 bucks for my 12.9" 128gb Pro. That is not that good of a price and if I wait to get the next version whenever that is, the longer I keep the old Pro the more likely it is that I will just keep it and then I get to have two Pros and can give the old one to my daughter.

All I am using to guess prices though is eBay - does anyone know more accurately what the previous gen 12.9" 128gb models are selling for?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

Let's just sit back and remember you could still buy refurbished iPad 2's from online retailers without warranties for $100+ in 2017. The price ceiling will drop, but the floor on a 12 inch iPad Pro is probably going to be 4 to 5 hundred for a long time.

Personally I'd wait until a version 2 refurb one came out. Sell the old one, buy the new one, maybe see a $300 difference.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GoldfishStew posted:

That's not a bad point. I used to flip my MacBook about every 12-18 months, it's a lot of effort though. Mine is a 32GB + AppleCare with no replacements cashed in so far and I might throw in the Pencil. Should be able to get at least 700 yeah?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Mine is 12.9 with cellular, 256gig and AppleCare (untouched) but I don't know what to expect. I'd be happy with $700.

Like I said, I didn't use any space so if I do flip it I plan on getting the least storage (or maybe middle tier) and no cellular, since in the year I've had the device I've never used it. I had thought maybe I'd get in a situation where popping my SIM card out my phone and into the ipad would happen but my tmo hot spot from my phone has mad data and the situation never arose.

GoldfishStew fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 8, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
All I have to say is that for your regular customer the cheap new iPad sells extremely well. Upgrade iPad or get first iPad, either way between price and power it fits pretty much most needs unless you're a business customer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

In terms of maximum portability keyboard cases... can anybody point out some good 10.5 cases. I really like the new full sized Apple one but that price....

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is swiping from the right to multitask gone / bugged in the iOS 11 beta?
I can't get it working at all on my air2

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ethanol posted:

In terms of maximum portability keyboard cases... can anybody point out some good 10.5 cases. I really like the new full sized Apple one but that price....

I don't think there​ are any besides the Apple one for the 10.5 yet. Logitech has announced a successor for the Create one that features a kickstand that basically is a poor man's Surface one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

All I have to say is that for your regular customer the cheap new iPad sells extremely well. Upgrade iPad or get first iPad, either way between price and power it fits pretty much most needs unless you're a business customer.

I think businesses might be a big customer of the new iPad. I've seen multiple restaurants recently using iPads for guest seating or checkout and most any corporate need for a tablet that's not a laptop replacement is easily covered with the iPad 5.

My wife got an iPad Air 2 from her work because she very rarely occasionally might need it. It's mostly a waste, but her employer would have wasted 20% less money had the new iPad been available.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is swiping from the right to multitask gone / bugged in the iOS 11 beta?
I can't get it working at all on my air2

I believe it's gone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Athletic Footjob posted:

I believe it's gone.

Whaaaaat

That sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The interface for split view doesn’t feel like it’s fully implemented. Expect it to change.