Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fellis posted:

Unfortunately, st gerald was being sarcastic

Last year Goonmeets happened every night at High Velocity, the hotel bar/resturant in the JW Mariott, where we took over a side area of the bar to play games and drink.

There were a couple other impromptu gatherings, if you aren't in groupme you will miss out on 95% of goon things really

E: High Velocity was mostly light boardgames, but you could also get one-shot/drinking friendly RPGs like Fiasco going

Yeah, seriously just get in groupme and then ask "Any goons want to meet up" during gencon and get fifty replies. High Velocity was great to meet up at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I love you all but please don't use Soylent in place of actual food. Half of the fun of GenCon is going to all the cool places around for food and I don't want my fiasco buddies getting heavy metal poisoning from their nutrient sludge.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I love you all but please don't use Soylent in place of actual food. Half of the fun of GenCon is going to all the cool places around for food and I don't want my fiasco buddies getting heavy metal poisoning from their nutrient sludge.
Oh I would never skip a meal. Well, O.K., as I am fond of pointing out, I do skip every lunch in sight because that is Prime Gen-Con Exhibition Hall Time but that is why I am also stocking up on clearance snacks at grocery stores and random imported chocolates I have never heard of. Oh and instant Thai Iced Tea from Thailand, they know what is up

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also yeah there are events...Nesbit37, is your Google Doc still around? Did anyone actually use it last year? I feel like the GroupMe has sort of stolen its thunder even though it is probably more useful for planning purposes.

I just remade it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jNHe8oYKYbffaelCoeTtf_0RXbnC1_e12K-cWTFs2sA/edit?usp=sharing

The groupme is better while at Gen Con, but for planning purposes I think the spreadsheet is way better. Go add your info Gen-Goons!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, if you go full-Soylent, you will miss out on the joy of Haveli, which will make you a sad goon.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I've never put anything in the store or auction but I really want to get rid of my Marvel Dice Masters collection. I'm thinking the store would be the best bet.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the opinions on the bridge simulations! It sounds like they are something to skip, but I do have one final question--everyone was mentioning opinions on Artemis, but it looked like there were two other bridge simulation systems in the events catalogue. Is that just my misunderstanding and they're all actually based off Artemis? Or is Artemis the only one to definitely avoid?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Agrias120 posted:

Thanks for the opinions on the bridge simulations! It sounds like they are something to skip, but I do have one final question--everyone was mentioning opinions on Artemis, but it looked like there were two other bridge simulation systems in the events catalogue. Is that just my misunderstanding and they're all actually based off Artemis? Or is Artemis the only one to definitely avoid?

I only have personal experience with Artemis: lots of fun to play at home with friends, bad experience at GenCon.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I just remade it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jNHe8oYKYbffaelCoeTtf_0RXbnC1_e12K-cWTFs2sA/edit?usp=sharing

The groupme is better while at Gen Con, but for planning purposes I think the spreadsheet is way better. Go add your info Gen-Goons!
I was going to comically post "DONE ALREADY" and then I loaded the spreadsheet and noticed I am, in fact, already in it. I am so good

Ilor posted:

Yeah, if you go full-Soylent, you will miss out on the joy of Haveli, which will make you a sad goon.
I absolutely need to give Haveli another shot, the only time I went last time was right after I had already had one dinner and whatever appetizer I ordered was not nearly as good as I assumed it should be. But I feel like the time I got an entrée there it was good so I am holding out hope that I will rejoin the 100% Good Review Crew

Rad Valtar posted:

I've never put anything in the store or auction but I really want to get rid of my Marvel Dice Masters collection. I'm thinking the store would be the best bet.
Thank you for posting that so I could Goog it and say "oh, THAT is what those weird symbol dice things are."

Yeah anyone who has anything remotely nerdy clogging up closets or basements at home--GRAB IT AND PUT IT IN THE AUCTION

Some of the things I have loaded up and sold at previous Auctions (that you might not immediately think to sell) to varying degrees of great success (I think everything in this list went for at least $10):

• A box full of Halloween masks
  • Three sheets of Garbage Pail Kids that ended up being Series 1 and selling for like $30
  • A box full of plastic weapons
  • The enormous letters S I N from an old Kinko's sign
  • A voice-changing box that Josh used while describing it that ended up selling for almost $70 despite costing $8
  • A 70" resin skeleton (Frank Mentzer nearly won this for $50 as I recall but someone worrying-looking outbid him)
  • A huge blue storage tub full of Mad and Cracked magazines
  • Nintendo Entertainment System and ~30 games
  • 1990s-era WWF Juice Drinks (in ~2010)
  • A hideous purple marionette bird-thing
  • A mug from a Princeton fraternity circa 1966

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Fellis posted:

Unfortunately, st gerald was being sarcastic

Oh good lord yes. Every year the challenge is always to fit the Gencon events around the shenanigans from the good folks in this thread.

Now that sounds even more sarcastic than my other post. This one isn't sarcastic, honest. And don't bring Soylent because you'll miss out on some good food and good times and what even is that stuff anyway.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Haveli's best thing is their buffet, go during their lunch buffet and theres no losing move

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I'm skipping meals to save money to buy toys, duh.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Forget games, i just want to eat St Elmo and Haveli all week.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Slandible posted:

Forget games, i just want to eat St Elmo and Haveli all week.

This guy gets it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
+1 for Haveli buffet, and if you go at like 11am or 1pm it's not even crowded. I intend to do that any day I don't have events so hit me up goons.

saint gerald posted:

Now that sounds even more sarcastic than my other post. This one isn't sarcastic, honest. And don't bring Soylent because you'll miss out on some good food and good times and what even is that stuff anyway.

I said "unfortunately" because shattering your preconcieved notions about how bad goons are is disorienting :v:

Also soylent is gross, sharing a meal with folks is like 33% of human existance don't cheapen it. If you really want to eat on the cheap/efficient/low cost i have a video for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFV73wpEAw

E: not actually advocating this behavior, just illustrating an extreme

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I now understand why I have never Havelid properly, because I am a world-famous lunch-avoider at the convention. As I think I already literally posted once on this very page

Oh well, I will just sit in the Auction with my expired Sunbelt Granola Bar stash and stare wistfully in the direction of Haveli's buffet

Edit: The guy in that video just said "flaccid bacon" and now I am sad

Edit: O.K. for as much as some of this is super-weird I am intrigued by the concept of the prison fridge and I have to acknowledge I never knew the avocado trick. Though I also suspect it means further ruining any overripe avocado still in the store. Pretty libertarian

Edit: A name I have not heard since the late 1990s apparently always wins the egg-making contest at some hacker convention

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 7, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah that guy is Libertarian with a capital L, but it seems to be more "goobermint messing with my off the grid cabin in the woods" vs "literally eat the poor FYGM"

Oh poo poo groupme is leaking into the thread pull up pull up

Also, sorry in advance for infecting your youtube recommended with videos of that guy's talks but they are pretty interesting because he's a physical security consultant. I like the one on elevators.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah anyone who has anything remotely nerdy clogging up closets or basements at home--GRAB IT AND PUT IT IN THE AUCTION

True words. Two years ago i was in the room when an item came up: a lovely rusty red toolbox full of weird index cards and some terrain bits and masking tape and I think a butterknife. The auctioneer dubbed it the "hobo murder toolkit," and I knew I needed to have it. A couple of dollars later she was mine! I've murdered no hobos with it* but I did turn it into a case for my Guild Ball minis (Masons) and other nerds are jealous.

Dreams can come true at the auction, goons. People will pay money for your crap that you can't imagine anyone else wanting. I'm living proof!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

lol just lol if you've never had the meat-sweats at GenCon

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Carteret posted:

lol just lol if you've never had the meat-sweats at GenCon

*angry chanting*

GROVER LUNCH!
GROVER LUNCH!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Woot! Thank you hotel script, just got a room at the Hilton Garden Inn. Was really hoping for the Westin or something attached but I'll take it.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Any word on best swag to pick up this year?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Like official Gen Con swag or...?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

WerrWaaa posted:

Any word on best swag to pick up this year?

Goon hugs are in hot demand

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

FFG just announced they are adding more tickets for the L5R event. 2nd Chance!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I guess I can't be mad at the assholes stealing my rooms if they're you assholes. :argh:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

head58 posted:

True words. Two years ago i was in the room when an item came up: a lovely rusty red toolbox full of weird index cards and some terrain bits and masking tape and I think a butterknife. The auctioneer dubbed it the "hobo murder toolkit," and I knew I needed to have it. A couple of dollars later she was mine! I've murdered no hobos with it* but I did turn it into a case for my Guild Ball minis (Masons) and other nerds are jealous.

Dreams can come true at the auction, goons. People will pay money for your crap that you can't imagine anyone else wanting. I'm living proof!
It is all true! Also I am genuinely surprised that something as creative as the term "hobo murder toolkit" arose at an Auction where Josh was not auctioneering.

Carteret posted:

FFG just announced they are adding more tickets for the L5R event. 2nd Chance!
No worries, I notified the guy who was threatening to not go if he did not get a ticket. THAT WAS MY GOOD GAMING DEED FOR THE HOUR

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hot Tip for those wanting to buy THE NEW HOTNESS at GenCon:

Don't.

In more words, you shouldn't because:
1. VIGs will likely buy them out during their special shopping hour they get before the whole shebang begins.
2. VIGs will likely gouge you for the privilege of buying it from them.
3. Your FLGS is going to have it shortly after you get back anyways, and you should let the MSRP support your store instead of the manufacturer/sweaty VIGs.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The VIG-salt is pouring in from the Gen Con forums I see. Also

LuiCypher posted:

3. Your FLGS is going to have it shortly after you get back anyways, and you should let the MSRP support your store instead of the manufacturer...

This. Especially never stand in line at the FFG booth.

Also, if you want in early the VIGs aren't even the biggest part of that. It's all 'bout dat Trade Day badge now. (Which is the reason they slashed the number of companions the VIGs could bring this year.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And also why they cut Educators from being able to use the Exhibition Hall on Trade Day this year. Which is a drat shame, as it would have been one of the most tangible uses thus far of the Dr. part of my name.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

8one6 posted:

The VIG-salt is pouring in from the Gen Con forums I see. Also

I'll be happy to revise that by stating that last year, before regular attendees even stepped foot into the hall, VIGs bought every copy of SeaFall. You could not buy it if you had a regular badge - they were all gone basically before the con even started.

I will also say that this is not entirely the fault of the VIG program. I would argue that most of the blame falls on suppliers deliberate under-supplying (like a toy manufacturer) to create excess demand and driving hype. Plaid Hat is almost always guilty of this and (surprise surprise) they published SeaFall.

Case in point, Stonemaier brought a lot of boxes of Scythe with them, and even though it was a hyped and well-reviewed game they were able to meet the demand. I remember that they always held onto some so they had copies available to sell every day of the con.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

And also why they cut Educators from being able to use the Exhibition Hall on Trade Day this year. Which is a drat shame, as it would have been one of the most tangible uses thus far of the Dr. part of my name.

Even though I don't have an educators badge this year it pissed me off. I mean the educator part of trade day already kind of sucks, and now for the same price you get less badge value. They should at least drop the cost or something since the educators are mostly non-profit folk coming.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Even though I don't have an educators badge this year it pissed me off. I mean the educator part of trade day already kind of sucks, and now for the same price you get less badge value. They should at least drop the cost or something since the educators are mostly non-profit folk coming.
Yeah and I realize it was speculation, or at least I think it was, but it was like...clearly this is related to complaints about things selling out before the main show starts, but really, you let retailers keep early access like they are not surely more likely to be causing problems than educators? Dumb.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's honestly no reason to buy anything at Gencon that you can't get at your FLGS unless it's a crazy good deal, which is rare, or exclusive to GenCon, which is also rare.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Does anyone happen to know if the new Scythe expansion will be available at Gencon? From what I've seen online I don't think so, but I'm not sure what information everyone else is privy to.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There's honestly no reason to buy anything at Gencon that you can't get at your FLGS unless it's a crazy good deal, which is rare, or exclusive to GenCon, which is also rare.

The big exception being if you want to get something signed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The other big exception being if you are in the Auction/Auction Store, as they specialize heavily in "crazy good deals" in huge numbers and, well, sort of "exclusive to Gen-Con" in the sense that your local game store is not going to have, say, a shrinkwrapped copy of a rare game from 1976.

But yes, my purchases in the Exhibition Hall itself have almost entirely switched from games to another category of thing you might want to get there: fabulous clothing and accessories!!! I think a good 25% of my shirts are from Gen-Con, and I would like to bring my sock tally up around that percentage as well. It would be easier if the average nerdy shirt were not per this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w700Q_5-y0

Edit: Oh and beyond fabulous clothing and accessories another category of things you can clearly buy at Gen-Con and not feel bad for stealing money from your local economy is incredibly stupidly expensive furniture

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A lot products get released much earlier at Gencon than retail, and you can find a few Kickstarter exclusives, but otherwise you're just paying a big premium. The one exception is the CGE booth with the crazy guy that will cut you deals left and right. I think I got 3 Dominion expansions for $40 total last year from him.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dr. Quarex posted:

The other big exception being if you are in the Auction/Auction Store, as they specialize heavily in "crazy good deals" in huge numbers and, well, sort of "exclusive to Gen-Con" in the sense that your local game store is not going to have, say, a shrinkwrapped copy of a rare game from 1976.

But yes, my purchases in the Exhibition Hall itself have almost entirely switched from games to another category of thing you might want to get there: fabulous clothing and accessories!!! I think a good 25% of my shirts are from Gen-Con, and I would like to bring my sock tally up around that percentage as well. It would be easier if the average nerdy shirt were not per this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w700Q_5-y0

Edit: Oh and beyond fabulous clothing and accessories another category of things you can clearly buy at Gen-Con and not feel bad for stealing money from your local economy is incredibly stupidly expensive furniture

Buy whatever you want at gencon. I come from canada so furniture is out of the question. If you see a fancy game you might want, note it down and go back on Sunday and see if its there.

I'd say you might be missing out on things if you go to gencon to just buy things. Go out to events or meetup with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

The big exception being if you want to get something signed.

This is also very true.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is also true. I love the auctions and go every year. If I don't get anything, I go for the spectacle as well.

I was mainly talking about the door busting at the dealer hall to get that new game that comes out a month from Gencon.

• Locked thread