Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also can't believe lolorito gave raubahn an arm that just punches him in the face. Punk'd bicth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
with the war changes does decimate take the same amount of inner beast gauge as fell cleave?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kuvo posted:

with the war changes does decimate take the same amount of inner beast gauge as fell cleave?

Yes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Dual casting holy and flare at the same time is ftw though.

It is

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the last white mage to be attacked by a villain with a katana didn't exactly fare so well

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Holding the sword point-down to make it into a casting staff is also extremely baller.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

the last white mage to be attacked by a villain with a katana didn't exactly fare so well

For anyone who didnt want to mouse over the spoiler, it's saying "the last white mage to be attacked by a villain with a katana didn't exactly fare so well", a reference to aeris dying in final fantasy 7, to sephiroth.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Aeris dies?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What the hell is the rotating sword sheath about?

Samurai requires level 50, right? And the game comes with a boost token, right? So could I be a complete newbie baby and start with Samurai if I get Stormblood but have no prior FFXIV experience and be ~that guy~?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

Bad dude is That Guy. Anime nerdlord.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Firstborn posted:

Samurai requires level 50, right? And the game comes with a boost token, right? So could I be a complete newbie baby and start with Samurai if I get Stormblood but have no prior FFXIV experience and be ~that guy~?

no boost token that comes with the game.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Firstborn posted:

It comes with earrings. Does it also come with a boost potion?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Welp, just finished the gold saucer. May as well not finish ff7 now.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
IS SHE DIE???

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pierson posted:

Holding the sword point-down to make it into a casting staff is also extremely baller.

They also attach their crystal focus to the pommel, making it more mage staff-y. I wonder if they'll talk about why rdm use swords at all in the questline or if they'll just focus on the Duality of Magic or something

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Firstborn posted:

It lets him draw any any one of his swords without having to adjust his grip because of the different angles.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Firstborn posted:

Garleans use weapons with guns tacked on, like Squall's gunblade from FF8. Zenos just takes it in a different direction by having a gun-sheath.

Expect him to have a triple iai attack for his inevitable boss fight as a way of saying "oh, your SAM has a 1200 potency hit? Check this poo poo out."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Firstborn posted:

As far as I know it doesn't come with a jump potion and even if it did you can't use jump potions on rdm or samurai (or DoH/L).

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It's a preview of the new visible armoury system. Warrior of Light gets one filled with some swords, a couple books, an axe, and a fishing pole.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also no I'm pretty sure SB does not come with a jump potion unless the collectors edition does. You'd have to buy one separately from the expansion, jump a random class to 50, and then unlock samurai.

And then start MSQ from level 1 because the jump potion only gives you levels! :haw: (unless you also shell out for a separate story jump potion)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm just shocked they revealed the hidden third job of the expansion, CPA. Shame Samurai won't get Gil Toss, but I'm glad someone does.

It's Great that Tataru can finally join the rest of the Scions on the front lines via that job.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Okay, so there's no way to skip to making a Samurai without paying a lot of money. Do Samurai start at level 1? I'm confused as to how character levels and job levels work. If you level a dude up to 60, then switch jobs, do you go and have to kill squirrels again?

I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to be a "story jump potion" if I want to find out about rotating gunblades (which I do). None of the base jobs interest me very much (outside of like... Dragoon).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Samurai and Red Mage start at level 50. HW jobs start at 30. Original classes start at 1.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Firstborn posted:

Okay, so there's no way to skip to making a Samurai without paying a lot of money. Do Samurai start at level 1? I'm confused as to how character levels and job levels work. If you level a dude up to 60, then switch jobs, do you go and have to kill squirrels again?

Samurai start at 50, but if you're switching to one of the original classes, then yes, you'll start back at level 1, albeit with a bonus to XP earned that makes it less painful to scale the levels.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Firstborn posted:

Both Samurai and Red Mage will start at 50. Dark Knight, Astrologian and Machinist start at 30 but you need access to the HW areas (complete ARR story) to obtain them.

Everything else starts at level 1.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
This trailer pleases me. I hope it sticks this time, if you know what I mean.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Firstborn posted:

I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to be a "story jump potion" if I want to find out about rotating gunblades (which I do). None of the base jobs interest me very much (outside of like... Dragoon).

Your jobs each start at level 1 and are independent of anything else you do on that character. Also note that you need to have another job at 50 and have beaten the base game's main story missions to unlock red mage and samurai.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for answering my stupid questions. I've tried to start the trial twice now and just ... not lose interest, but more like I'm bombarded by so much unfamiliarity with everything that I feel uninvited. That's weird to type, but there it is. I really have to sit down and try and get through the tutorial stuff.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Aerith.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
14 is really chill and doesn't really ask you to know what you are doing immediately. Take your time, level a few things, find something you like, ask questions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

BrightWing posted:

14 is really chill and doesn't really ask you to know what you are doing immediately. Take your time, level a few things, find something you like, ask questions.

Yes. If you see us getting salty about bad players in this thread, it is almost entirely directed at people at the level cap who should really know better. This game and it's community is very welcoming to newbies, honest :)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

They also attach their crystal focus to the pommel, making it more mage staff-y. I wonder if they'll talk about why rdm use swords at all in the questline or if they'll just focus on the Duality of Magic or something
The entire class quest should revolve around Red Mages wondering "how do we make ourselves cooler than Black or White mages" and the final quest gives them the answer "working out more so we can use swords".

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What would you recommend for a first class to level? I'm leaning towards Lancer because Kain owns, but I like the idea of Gladiator. Is tanking hard in this game? I'm like a Mythic raider and WoW and have tanked plenty, I'm not new to MMOs in general, but some of the systems seem more complicated. I don't want to be expected to tank and be lovely just because I like swords.

... I really like being able to pick a first name & last name. I can't pick one that isn't explicitly tied to a class. I don't want to be Lance Wellgood and then turn into a Warrior.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Firstborn posted:

What would you recommend for a first class to level? I'm leaning towards Lancer because Kain owns, but I like the idea of Gladiator. Is tanking hard in this game? I'm like a Mythic raider and WoW and have tanked plenty, I'm not new to MMOs in general, but some of the systems seem more complicated. I don't want to be expected to tank and be lovely just because I like swords.

Tanking is really easy. It's primarily rare because you do actually have to pay attention all the time, unlike being able to leave half the details to a fairy subcontractor or whatever.

None of the classes are really hard, but I'd probably recommend starting with arcanist because you get a pet, you can take advantage of healer queues, and you get a healer class and a DPS class for the price of one, unlike everything else.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the community is real good with new players. if someone has a newbie or returner icon next to their name you will not have anything expected of you so you can mess up all you like as long as you appear to be learning.

That said, there are plenty of jerks out there. Play with goons or find a friendly medium sized FC asap, get to know some people. This is a game where having friends is ridiculously helpful even if it's not required.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Firstborn posted:

... I really like being able to pick a first name & last name. I can't pick one that isn't explicitly tied to a class. I don't want to be Lance Wellgood and then turn into a Warrior.

Whatever looks cool and fun to you. You'll be able to switch to any class in your starting city-state when you complete your level 10 class quest, and any class in the game when you finish your city-state quest line. Don't sweat it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for answering my dumb questions.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

sword_man.gif posted:

hmmmmmmmm..... almost like it's a trailer
i think you mean spoiler vehicle

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'd say it's a good idea to level a little bit of a few different classes so you can play around with cross-class abilities but that's not going to be as relevant in about a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's worth running through the Hall of the Novice questline even if you're familiar with basic MMO mechanics; the reward is a +exp ring.

• Locked thread