Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My man, is that a couch I spy in those pictures? You wasted money on that, when you could have just used garbage bags filled with packing peanuts?

e: oof, new page... I managed to rescue this 40 year old treasure from my parents attic over the weekend. tons of memories playing this over and over as a kid

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

My memories of this are a lot better than the actual soundtrack it turns out.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Barry posted:

http://imgur.com/a/fkw3c

In case anyone cares, here's a few pictures of that much maligned LPbin I picked up a little while ago. I'm not exactly Ansel Adams, sorry about the kinda crappy pictures. Not much to say - it's exactly what I expected and I like it. Particleboard with a veneer. Had to put it together and took about an hour. Generally seems well designed and solid. I haven't moved everything into it yet, but it doesn't feel unbalanced at all with just having the top full. I forgot to click on the shelf liner option when I ordered it so I'll have to put something in there to keep the records from sliding around.

im glad you like it but those pics are giving me whatever the reverse is of an interior design boner

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

stay depressed posted:

im glad you like it but those pics are giving me whatever the reverse is of an interior design boner

Yeah probably should have stacked up a dozen milk crates instead.

I'm hardly an interior designer but hey, I like what I like and ignorance is bliss.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is the inside under the bin bit just empty space without a shelf or anything?

e: oh it's another bin I guess. It all just looks too dark on my VDU to make anything out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Stopped into Grimey's down in Nashville this weekend and somehow walked out the door with almost two hundred bucks worth of records that I love. I just kept finding more and more albums and just had to grab them. Reverend Peyton's Big drat Band, Inside Llewyn Davis Soundtrack, Get Behind me Satan from the White Stripes, Nick Drake, Eddie Vedder's Into The Wild soundtrack, The Killers Sams Town, Alabama Shakes, and the Kills.

The kicker? I don't currently own a record player... I used to have one of those Crosley all in one things I find at goodwill, but I never had any actual records of bands that I actually liked so I gave it to one of my buddies.

So now I'm doing it in reverse, finding the records I love and then picking up player I guess, haha.

I picked up a Technics SL-BD20D on ebay yesterday, though it occurs to me that I probably should have checked here first. I've got a preamp coming in as well, and I'm just going to connect everything to my studio monitors in my music room.

Did I do ok for babby's first record player?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the cartridge that comes with it will probably be rear end and need to be replaced but otherwise it's fine

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is the inside under the bin bit just empty space without a shelf or anything?

e: oh it's another bin I guess. It all just looks too dark on my VDU to make anything out.

Yeah just another bin. Same size as the top.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Barry posted:

http://imgur.com/a/fkw3c

In case anyone cares, here's a few pictures of that much maligned LPbin I picked up a little while ago. I'm not exactly Ansel Adams, sorry about the kinda crappy pictures. Not much to say - it's exactly what I expected and I like it. Particleboard with a veneer. Had to put it together and took about an hour. Generally seems well designed and solid. I haven't moved everything into it yet, but it doesn't feel unbalanced at all with just having the top full. I forgot to click on the shelf liner option when I ordered it so I'll have to put something in there to keep the records from sliding around.

it looks like you sneezed on the painting dude, its all green and gross looking

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think the painting looks interesting and I'd like to see the whole thing please.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I like the bin and am thinking of getting one for my new place since it looks clean enough to go in the living room where I plan on putting my record player.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

stay depressed posted:

the cartridge that comes with it will probably be rear end and need to be replaced but otherwise it's fine

That is good to know! The listing says that it comes with a P34 cartridge. Is that alright, or would you have any recommendations for what I should replace that with?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

That is good to know! The listing says that it comes with a P34 cartridge. Is that alright, or would you have any recommendations for what I should replace that with?

That's a $20 cheapo cart.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove for 99 cents at a thrift store. There's even some cartoon titties in the gatefold.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

stay depressed posted:

there's a guy at the music festival I'm at with a few crates of records. they're fine records but the prices are amazingly bad, 15-20 dollars over normal prices.

his booth was swarming with dudes in tank tops and plastic sunglasses getting taken for a ride though so more power to him.

Get the money where you can vendor dude. salute :911:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Yeah no disrespect I'm certain that dude raked it in which I support

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Boinks posted:

That's a $20 cheapo cart.

Ok, that is good to know! Would you have any recommendations on cartridges I should replace it with?

Just out of curiosity, would using that cartridge damage my records? Or does it just sound bad?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ok, that is good to know! Would you have any recommendations on cartridges I should replace it with?

Just out of curiosity, would using that cartridge damage my records? Or does it just sound bad?

It might make Sams Town sound better.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My entire record collection as it stands at the moment. I've had the Brigid Mae Power and Ellll for a few months, the rest was bought in the last week.

This is going to get expensive.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Mrenda posted:

My entire record collection as it stands at the moment. I've had the Brigid Mae Power and Ellll for a few months, the rest was bought in the last week.

This is going to get expensive.

Cool Syd Barrett record, been a LONG time since I listened to The Madcap Laughs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

It might make Sams Town sound better.

Hurtful, but fair

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

No it won't damage your records as long as you have the tracking force set correctly.

Get a Shure m97xe, it's a great starter cart, tracks at 1.25g and you can upgrade the stylus down the road if you want to make it better . The manual for your turntable should tell you how to align a new cartridge, I'm assuming it's a half inch mount.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 9, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

No it won't damage your records as long as you have the tracking force set correctly.

Get a Shure m97xe, it's a great starter cart, tracks at 1.25g and you can upgrade the stylus down the road if you want to make it better . The manual for your turntable should tell you how to align a new cartridge, I'm assuming it's a half inch mount.

What the hell happened to the M97xe prices? $70 used to be standard for that one - now it's $100 everywhere. I don't know if I'd recommend it over an AT95E at that price.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
The SL-BD20D is a P-Mount table, so neither of those will work.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

wa27 posted:

What the hell happened to the M97xe prices? $70 used to be standard for that one - now it's $100 everywhere. I don't know if I'd recommend it over an AT95E at that price.

I paid 84 a few years ago, maybe there's sales?

I don't have a clue about p mount carts.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Any thoughts on the Audio Technica LP3? It's got a nice form factor and seems to have the features I want, and is a step up from my LP-60 without the need to spend a bunch on an amp and speakers too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MrSargent posted:

I like the bin

I am already eating from the bin *sniff*

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

hey yall heres a bunch of records i got in the last few months =]

actress - azd
demdike stare - wonderland
true widow - avvolgere
turinn - 18-1/2 minute gaps
marie davidson - adieux au dancefloor
rashad becker - traditional music of notional species vol 1
levantis - romantic psychology 1
xosar - let go
clouds - dj ultra greatsword
grouper - dragging a dead deer up a hill
grouper - the man who died in his boat
tropic of cancer - stop suffering
cremation lily - fires frame the silhouette

heres a few dl codes. the one on the sticker is actress and a coupe codes for a killer local techno/noise tape

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry
I really love those Grouper albums. Would you recommend I check out any of the other records you picked up based on that, or are the other records completely different?

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

maybe tropic of cancer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXphrT63yzs and maybe true widowhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmhyGnDL4v8

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I took one of the Corinthian codes. Thank you!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

funk_mata posted:

I really love those Grouper albums. Would you recommend I check out any of the other records you picked up based on that, or are the other records completely different?

as mentioned tropic of cancer is maybe the only one close to grouper. mayyyyybe marie davidson if you want to stretch it. but basically all of those records are good, though id say go for the rashad becker lp above all, its incredible. sounds like absolutely nothing else. the newish demdike is a good direction for them. the xosar is a good house/techno/acid lp. i thought azd was underwhelming but the levantis record is good (its also actress)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Man I loved AZD, something about that record really stuck to my ribs.

Marie Davidson's record from last year is really something special tho.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I found a Sweet Pussy Pauline record at Goodwill smooshed between a bunch of boring house records and swedish folk. And a the Church VHS which is pretty cool

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Yayy

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

beer pal posted:

hey yall heres a bunch of records i got in the last few months =]

actress - azd
demdike stare - wonderland
true widow - avvolgere
turinn - 18-1/2 minute gaps
marie davidson - adieux au dancefloor
rashad becker - traditional music of notional species vol 1
levantis - romantic psychology 1
xosar - let go
clouds - dj ultra greatsword
grouper - dragging a dead deer up a hill
grouper - the man who died in his boat
tropic of cancer - stop suffering
cremation lily - fires frame the silhouette

heres a few dl codes. the one on the sticker is actress and a coupe codes for a killer local techno/noise tape

how's the cremation lily? i've heard some of his other material but none of it has really clicked with me

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
So many boxes to go through, and June is shaping up to have very little time for it. I'm not even halfway through the first box. Here's a random sampling of what I've come across so far:

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

A human heart posted:

how's the cremation lily? i've heard some of his other material but none of it has really clicked with me

i think its pretty good. the only other one of his ive heard is the one on opal tapes, which is a pretty gentle ambient album, this one's much noisier // less structured save for one or two tracks

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Phearson posted:

So many boxes to go through, and June is shaping up to have very little time for it. I'm not even halfway through the first box. Here's a random sampling of what I've come across so far:

I mean you can't post a picture of can't slow down and not open the gatefold, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?

BigFactory posted:

I mean you can't post a picture of can't slow down and not open the gatefold, dude

My apologies!