Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yonah
May 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slime posted:

Marginalized groups are exactly as capable of being shitheads as a cishet white male is, they just get less opportunity to show it off on a large scale because there's less of them.

humanity is lovely and we really should just destroy our own species for the greater good, basically

Dolphins are assholes too, we should knock them off while we have a chance.

Ditto for chimps.

Orangutans are chill as gently caress tho and should get a chance to be the dominant species.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
loving Olly

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Morbi posted:

Pronoun listings on cast pages are an extremely dumb thing to get mad about
This is also my hot take.

You could also just describe the character in third person, and make sure there's a pronoun in there somewhere? Two sentences of description of a character doesn't seem like that much. :shrug:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the average cishet will take a couple thousand years to pick up on singular they being used as a specific pronoun tho

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, singular they is becoming more accepted, and I know the AP style guide recently approved it for use.

Also, I love cast pages as sort of "Ok, who are these character and who's going to be a regular" sort of thing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

iospace posted:

Yeah, singular they is becoming more accepted, and I know the AP style guide recently approved it for use.

Also, I love cast pages as sort of "Ok, who are these character and who's going to be a regular" sort of thing.

Singular they appears in english texts back to the 15th century. It only fell out of use in the late 19th century, and even then not completely.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Singular they is awkward and confusing to read unless the preceding text is carefully constructed to make the context clear.

But it's all we've got.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tunicate posted:

Orangutans are chill as gently caress tho and should get a chance to be the dominant species.

When the largest of the male orangutans is in the public viewing location at the local zoo, he prefers to spend his time squatting under a blanket in one part of his habitat and staring at everyone. It's very relatable.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Typical Pubbie posted:

Singular they is awkward and confusing to read unless the preceding text is carefully constructed to make the context clear.

But it's all we've got.

It's a hell of a lot less awkward than "he or she" or some new made up pronoun. It's not really that bad, you probably use it all the time without even thinking. It's the same linguistic shift that happened with ye and you. "Ye" was the proper way to refer to a singular person, whereas "you" was strictly plural. But now "you" has completely supplanted "ye" and people had to invent "y'all" to compensate for the lack distinction.

Language is funny.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

But it's all we've got.

Making it a more common usage should clear most of that up. The ze/hir combo will never not be confusing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Making it a more common usage should clear most of that up. The ze/hir combo will never not be confusing.

Also no one can agree on what a hypothetical neutral pronoun would be that isn't They

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Begemot posted:

It's a hell of a lot less awkward than "he or she" or some new made up pronoun. It's not really that bad, you probably use it all the time without even thinking. It's the same linguistic shift that happened with ye and you. "Ye" was the proper way to refer to a singular person, whereas "you" was strictly plural. But now "you" has completely supplanted "ye" and people had to invent "y'all" to compensate for the lack distinction.

Language is funny.

You're thinking of the shift from "thou" being second person singular and "you" being second person plural to "you" being both. You can see signs of the shift in early modern English stuff like Shakespeare, where both get used. Thou became an increasingly more personal and crude way to address someone until it fell out of common use.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Apologies for dragging thread politics in here, but can anyone inform me as to why the BYOB thread got nuked ?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

MREBoy posted:

Apologies for dragging thread politics in here, but can anyone inform me as to why the BYOB thread got nuked ?

suddenly the last two pages make sense

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MREBoy posted:

:filez:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're thinking of the shift from "thou" being second person singular and "you" being second person plural to "you" being both. You can see signs of the shift in early modern English stuff like Shakespeare, where both get used. Thou became an increasingly more personal and crude way to address someone until it fell out of common use.

D'oh, you're right, I knew I should've double checked :doh:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

MREBoy posted:

new one is here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822798

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

haha, post the dresden page

Compare old man faces, it's similar only more wrinkled.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

MREBoy posted:

People were posting scans of comics that are still in print or were in print until recently.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd say they were both sourced off Gendo Ikari.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I just figured it was creepers creeping.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

AriadneThread posted:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I always thought there was something not quite right with that Mrs Terry.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

I always thought there was something not quite right with that Mrs Terry.

Somebody on the SGR Facebook has pointed out that Mrs Terry is Mystery.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Somebody on the SGR Facebook has pointed out that Mrs Terry is Mystery.

Charlotte's long lost love??

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
It's really interesting how, if you were to look at the page having never heard of Octopus Pie before, you'd never be able to tell it was the conclusion to the comic, whereas after following the comic for years, it feels pretty dang appropriate.

Meanwhile, It Hurts is probably the 20th webcomic to end with its main character meeting god, but the first one where it makes a lick of sense.

Great writing all around. I be envious.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Morbi posted:

Pronoun listings on cast pages are an extremely dumb thing to get mad about

They are, however, an extremely good thing to laugh about.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'd say they were both sourced off Gendo Ikari.

The Never Satisfied one is absolutely a Gendo Ikari reference, I'm not getting much of a Gendo vive off of the Dresden Codak one but I'm open to being persuaded.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

AriadneThread posted:

I had been wondering.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Please update your clevin thread's op to reflect that it is, in fact, a clevin thread.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
and put the edits in the op

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Kit gets the best faces.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wittgen posted:

Kit gets the best faces.

I dunno, the various Poppy :T faces we're getting as she bulldozes through the social formalities are p good too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dresden Codak is still indecipherable anime-style nonsense but it seems to be updating regularly now, good for him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Pierson posted:

Dresden Codak is still indecipherable anime-style nonsense but it seems to be updating regularly now, good for him.

Your monthly reminder that Aaron Diaz gets $4500/mo for this poo poo.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

wiegieman posted:

Your monthly reminder that Aaron Diaz gets $4500/mo for this poo poo.

God drat, I need to get good at drawing muscled cyborg tomboys and take an introductory philosophy class so I can jump on this train too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It feels like Dresden Codak is what happens when the guy who doesn't stick to a schedule realizes that he doesn't have to and people will still shower him with cash, all while making insanely dense comics to boot.

What I'm saying is the only difference between it and XKCD is the update schedule.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

iospace posted:

It feels like Dresden Codak is what happens when the guy who doesn't stick to a schedule realizes that he doesn't have to and people will still shower him with cash, all while making insanely dense comics to boot.

What I'm saying is the only difference between it and XKCD is the update schedule.

The XKCD guy is a way better writer with a much clearer idea of why he's actually drawing a comic, and for all that his stick figures are lame he does actually put thought and effort into it occasionally. Being a million manchildrens' Firefly reference IV drip isn't the most respectable creative goal in the world, but it's still several steps up from just masturbating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

iospace posted:

and it's much harder to masturbate to stickwomen

• Locked thread