Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
How the gently caress does the downward stab work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4RobxTA_g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKxPIgjweBY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
To do the downward stab you need to press the attack button (y?) while you are using the glider. You can't put the glider away and then press the button since that puts you into a jump attack. Also I think the downward stab works for all weapons but I might be wrong about that, I don't remember using it with weapons other than spears.

Also If you guys are going to get gear then you will need to sell your ore. At this point in the game it is just used to sell for rupees and it is not difficult to get more ore. Also you shouldn't use bombs to get ore. Bombs have a lot of uses but getting in ore is not one of their better ones.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Hitting that thing to activate the shrine is just incredibly finicky. Either trident can do it and it can be done with a standing jump like you tried at the very start. There's just a "sweet spot" you need to hit for it to register.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
*gets handed an item that increases movement speed*
*complains about not being able to get away from monster fast enough*
:sigh:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You just needed to press the button while holding on to the gilder rather then letting go. Also use the right spear.

You actually did it right once just with the wrong spear.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 20, 2017

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Hint: not all weapons impart the same amount of kinetic energy per strike on a stasised object.

More help under spoiler.

Hammer is a big whack. 5 big whacks too short, six big whacks too long, so...?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Hoooookay. As explained in other threads, I wound up being gone for the weekend and spent the latter half of the week scrambling to get videos up and exporting and everything before leaving early Friday afternoon (for which I wound up being late anyway, good times), and updating here wound up being difficult under the mad rush.

Parts 51-54 are included before the video itself below and involve us collectively sucking a giant dick at solving the Mirro Shaz Shrine for like an hour and a half, but we're back on track with Part 55 today, seeking out another Locked Memento:

Part 51: "Their Dumbass gently caress Circles"
Part 52: "Switches and Balls, Oh My!"
Part 53: "Balls Indeed"
Part 54: "I Saw What You Did to the Wolf"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx9LCcl1pus

So as it stands, now we're caught up to where we wanted to be last Friday, so this week's videos will wind up being Thursday, Friday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, to be followed by Part 61 on Monday, June 5 as originally planned. Catching up is great (and super not exhausting, for cereal).

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 31, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I love how Ben sprints through an entire field full of hostile monsters during a storm no problem, but then is terribly afraid of fighting one skeleton dude.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Caution is still probably good when there might be guardians over the next rise.

Also I love that the in-game map is good enough you can pick out most of the photos on it.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

It's an interesting change having the Hyrule Field equivalent be one of the most dangerous places in the game.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's also a really elegant way to herd players in the right direction in the open world. Personally I tried to go for the central tower as soon as I got off the plateau and promptly got my poo poo wrecked by a Guardian. After that I decided to do what the game wanted me to do.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's also a really elegant way to herd players in the right direction in the open world. Personally I tried to go for the central tower as soon as I got off the plateau and promptly got my poo poo wrecked by a Guardian. After that I decided to do what the game wanted me to do.

Trying to climb that central tower as a low-hearts/stamina link is DELIGHTFUL.

It can be done! Just involves timing shots from the Guardians veeeery precisely.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Or you can do what I did and use all your weapons to break one of them if you notice something about the terrain.

One of them sits on an angle so you can just smack it until it breaks from there while it flips its poo poo and starts vomiting lasers over your head :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

Like the Cazadores and Deathclaws that keep you from going to New Vegas.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Quantum Toast posted:

It's an interesting change having the Hyrule Field equivalent be one of the most dangerous places in the game.

Hyrule Castle is a pretty popular end boss location. This one's just a little leakier than usual.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Personal request: next time you talk to Hestu, try taking all your armour off first :heysexy:

n.b. the thread is four videos behind, non-YouTube-followers.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Frionnel posted:

I love how Ben sprints through an entire field full of hostile monsters during a storm no problem, but then is terribly afraid of fighting one skeleton dude.

What do you mean our priorities and concerns are completely backwards, that's ridiculous, excuse me while we spend 14 minutes debating how to climb a wall and ignore a Stalmoblin caving our skull in.

Glazius posted:

Caution is still probably good when there might be guardians over the next rise.

Also I love that the in-game map is good enough you can pick out most of the photos on it.

Yeah, it's pretty rad that it's detailed enough to catch that stuff :) Not sure the other photos will be quite as distinguishable, but we'll see how they go.

Quantum Toast posted:

Cerebral Bore posted:

THIS. One of the few lame-ish aspects to Ocarina of Time and one of my BIGGEST gripes about Twilight Princess is that Hyrule Field is practically empty. Sure, there are a few secret holes to fall into, but other than that Hyrule Field has historically felt sorta pointless beyond being a hub for each of the "zones".

HERE though, it's basically DEFCON 1 any time we approach it. It's crawling with Guardians, death awaits at a single footstep into the region, it's fantastic. Excellent improvement.

Glazius posted:

Hyrule Castle is a pretty popular end boss location. This one's just a little leakier than usual.

There's definitely a bit of a tonal shift here -- while Hyrule Castle is a very popular end location (off the top of my head: A Link to the Past sort of, Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, A Link Between Worlds), the vast majority of the time it acts as a "seal" for the final boss, or is otherwise just a vague, looming threat that deep within lies the final boss. Here though, it comes off almost like the focal point of a disease. Calamity Ganon is a blight on Breath of the Wild's iteration of Hyrule, and its effects are not just far-reaching, by way of crimson storm clouds visible from every corner of the kingdom, but also increasingly palpable as you approach the castle. It's far less unassuming than in previous iterations, and I love it.

snograt posted:

Personal request: next time you talk to Hestu, try taking all your armour off first :heysexy:

DULY NOTED! I think we have up to Part 64 recorded right now, but when we hop back in on Sunday I'll be sure to have us drop in and light up Hestu's life ;)

snograt posted:

n.b. the thread is four videos behind, non-YouTube-followers.

Yeup. I continue to be god-awful at being responsible in this thread. Weekend three has passed (memorial for a friend, other friend "Hyper Zone" staying for that and joining us on mic for other games), and slowly getting the schedule back under control. Part 60 is coming at 2pm EDT (3.5 hours from now) and Part 61 six hours after that, but for anyone who exclusively follows our endless Let's Play from this side of things, I gotchu boo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZcoQ1zBjs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxq-ONvcYQo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-kDNh-OskQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL85WgmEH7A

Incidentally, we were originally going to put up Parts 59-60 on Saturday/Sunday, but the weekend took over. Better prepared for this weekend's rush (a wedding taking over about four days), so Part 63 will land on Friday, with Parts 64-65 coming over the weekend and finally righting the ship for Part 66 on Monday.

tl;dr: blah blah 2 extra episodes this weekend

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
As someone who mostly watches your vids when they turn up as my recommended youtube vids but sometimes catch them in the thread, would you mind putting the actual name and number of the episodes instead of just your YT URLs when you update them on SA? It would convenience me and hopefully at least one more person.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Absolutely! I'll do that going forward and as time allows I'll go back and retroactively add it to earlier posts too. My screen shows the name and number in the title when it pulls from YouTube, wasn't sure if that was the case for everybody.

Just so I'm sure I'm doing the thing you mean, you're referring to the videos in the replies (like the one right before yours), correct?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah, there's some issues with those who choose not to automatically embed Youtube videos on the forum. Including the text for them is a failsafe in that case.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ricdesi posted:

Absolutely! I'll do that going forward and as time allows I'll go back and retroactively add it to earlier posts too. My screen shows the name and number in the title when it pulls from YouTube, wasn't sure if that was the case for everybody.

Just so I'm sure I'm doing the thing you mean, you're referring to the videos in the replies (like the one right before yours), correct?

Yep! Just using [url=blalblabla]name and number and the [/url ] thing is what I am talking of.

Another thing that I have been been thinking of but not mentioned because of reasons, (mainly laziness and not wanting to be a bother,) A go to rule for giving your audience time to absorb the text on the screen is reading it twice before clicking next. Having to pause the video and/or go back to catch what people/creatures are saying can get a bit annoying.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 7, 2017

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Yeah, there's some issues with those who choose not to automatically embed Youtube videos on the forum.
...huh. I had no idea there was an option for that.

So, uh, thanks for mentioning that.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 7, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You sound like you're having fun, which is a nice contrast to X7. I like how... whimsically serious the Koroks are, I guess? They're adorably trying to help you but they also know some helpful things?

Also something to keep in mind when you go back to Kakariko Village: when you were looking for hints you had the right house but the wrong floor.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Alxprit posted:

Yeah, there's some issues with those who choose not to automatically embed Youtube videos on the forum. Including the text for them is a failsafe in that case.

I had no idea that was even a thing, duly noted! Hopefully what I've got below works? If not, I can tweak as need be, let me know if this is cool:

Part 60: "Climb Up His Mouth"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XET_fNL7D-I

Part 61: "This Way to Hell"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQkAI579HYA

Part 62: "Come Save Me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZRQaAG4rY

Part 63: "Just Completely Deceiving You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IVCFJkH9Y

The above is our quick run through the Korok Forest, and while I'm sure we will be returning (for obvious reasons), it might be a while before we do so.

Thesaya posted:

Another thing that I have been been thinking of but not mentioned because of reasons, (mainly laziness and not wanting to be a bother,) A go to rule for giving your audience time to absorb the text on the screen is reading it twice before clicking next. Having to pause the video and/or go back to catch what people/creatures are saying can get a bit annoying.

That's not a bad rule of thumb -- sorta part of why I end up reading a lot of dialogue out loud is that it makes it easier on the comprehension side, though if we're not reading aloud we should definitely be giving it more time to breathe. I'll make sure to pass along the request/advice!

Glazius posted:

You sound like you're having fun, which is a nice contrast to X7. I like how... whimsically serious the Koroks are, I guess? They're adorably trying to help you but they also know some helpful things?

With X7 out of the way forever, hopefully that mythical "fun" thing will seep into the rest of the channel too. And <3 Koroks.

Glazius posted:

Also something to keep in mind when you go back to Kakariko Village: when you were looking for hints you had the right house but the wrong floor.

...oh for gently caress's sake :|

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think you've still got a sunshroom in your compendium from when you were interacting with Symin way back when. The Compendium actually tells you rough geographic regions of stuff in the wild.

Though it seems like you've found a pretty good source.

The Goron design in this game is an interesting departure even though it's so small. They've never had whites in their eyes before, have they?

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Those scales (episode 69) can be brought down by just sliding one of the big metal blocks down against the side. At least, I'm pretty certain that's what I did. If not, you can always magnesis any handy swords you may have discarded and pull them down that way. I don't think there's ever a need to exit and re-enter a shrine.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you can just knock down that chest with a big magnesis'ed block, rather than playing with the other set of scales. This game is so malleable!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

I think you've still got a sunshroom in your compendium from when you were interacting with Symin way back when. The Compendium actually tells you rough geographic regions of stuff in the wild.

Though it seems like you've found a pretty good source.

You know what, I think you're right. We totally had that quest WAY back near the start of the game, drat. Ah, well we found what we needed anyway, when we get a chance we'll head back and finish that quest!

Glazius posted:

The Goron design in this game is an interesting departure even though it's so small. They've never had whites in their eyes before, have they?

I was thinking about that too, I don't think they have had that before! It's pretty neat, I like it a bit better than the featureless, beady eyes. Definitely feels a bit more human.

snograt posted:

Those scales (episode 69) can be brought down by just sliding one of the big metal blocks down against the side. At least, I'm pretty certain that's what I did. If not, you can always magnesis any handy swords you may have discarded and pull them down that way. I don't think there's ever a need to exit and re-enter a shrine.

Oh WOW. Did not even consider that something as small as a sword could do that, we'll have to remember that for later puzzles!

We have Part 71 coming later this morning, so I'm gonna toss down the remaining four episodes from the Korok Forest and assorted screwery now, and get the thread caught up (finally) this afternoon. If you haven't seen it yet, I HIGHLY recommend "Mondo", holy poo poo

Part 64: "Have You Not Heard a Bird Before?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXXPOIO7Vlg

Part 65: "Mondo"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x69vVjAMEGM

Part 66: "I'm Terrible"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdmPgELlfW4

Part 67: "How Dare They Have Fun?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AF8RdPJ050

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please, Mondo responsibly.

I do mean that, actually. It'd be fun to see you pull the big guy out for whatever road riding you have a mind to do. Roads are important to civilization because people and goods move along them!

An important thing to keep in mind re: Puerto Rico is that most of the parties against statehood decided to make a statement about the futility of asking the US to please be a state, or possibly claim credit for the constituency of the Can't Be Arsed Party, by asking all their supporters to just stay home. Turnout didn't even hit a fourth of the population all told, so keep that in mind.

I do appreciate the many opportunities this game offers for tactical pants deployment. And that the temperature readout on the Sheikah Slate map screen is just erroring out in Goron City. Silly ancient engineers not considering the need for a four-digit temperature display.

Lindsey might want to consider one of those Phrenic bows? Bows do have a different firing arc in this game depending on type, and you can likely scare some up hunting around Kakariko Village. ...though in the volcano it'd probably just catch fire.

Also when you're taking pictures, take pictures of ore deposits! There is more than one kind of them.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 20, 2017

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
You should try selling some of your monster parts. They're cheap, but you've got enough Bokoblin bits and Chu jelly to make some decent cash even by just selling half of each.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

Please, Mondo responsibly.

I do mean that, actually. It'd be fun to see you pull the big guy out for whatever road riding you have a mind to do. Roads are important to civilization because people and goods move along them!

Yeah, I think as we move west following the Vah Rudania chunk, we'll be relying a lot more on Klumple and Mondo for safe travel. Will do our best to not murder our horse friends!

Glazius posted:

An important thing to keep in mind re: Puerto Rico is that most of the parties against statehood decided to make a statement about the futility of asking the US to please be a state, or possibly claim credit for the constituency of the Can't Be Arsed Party, by asking all their supporters to just stay home. Turnout didn't even hit a fourth of the population all told, so keep that in mind.

Yeah, that's essentially why folks are still leery about whether the result is a mandate or not. 97% of the vote is a shitload. That 97% equating 22% of the population is not. Then again, about that much of the US population voted for each of the two candidates in the 2016 election, so hey.

Glazius posted:

I do appreciate the many opportunities this game offers for tactical pants deployment. And that the temperature readout on the Sheikah Slate map screen is just erroring out in Goron City. Silly ancient engineers not considering the need for a four-digit temperature display.

Took us a minute to realize that, and I love it haha. It does make determining how much protection we need difficult, but it's a cute touch nonetheless!

Glazius posted:

Also when you're taking pictures, take pictures of ore deposits! There is more than one kind of them.

We had noticed that later on, there are some neat sparkly, goldish ones that seem to give better loot.

Dresh posted:

You should try selling some of your monster parts. They're cheap, but you've got enough Bokoblin bits and Chu jelly to make some decent cash even by just selling half of each.

Yeah, for as much food as we cook, we really don't make many elixirs. Probably a good call the next time we go shopping.

And hey, here are the rest of the catchup videos, now starting our quest into Goron City and approaching Vah Rudania! New episode coming in a little over an hour, too!

Part 68: "Horse Temperature"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWAGJikAmWI

Part 69: "They Sound Like Eagles"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA2_x9plD3Q

Part 70: "Buy More Rocks"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3Qmty-gOA

Part 71: "I Can Always Usually Eat"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7qkU4MY-K8

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
It's actually pretty lucrative to sell cooked food, by the way. That would help with your money shortage problems.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They could sell the other stuff they have dozens of. Not like they will run out of teeth or wings.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
They've gotten to death mountain. As long as their willing to spend some time climbing and breaking ore deposits and can understand that the main purpose of gems is to be sold for money, then they shouldn't have anymore money trouble. Obviously this doesn't have to be done on video.

Also, before you guys try to buy the flamebreaker helmet from the shop, you should go back to the south mine. The reward for the get 10 fire proof lizards quest is a piece of the flamebreaker set of armor. I can't remember what piece it is, so it might be one that you've already gotten but even if it is you can just sell it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

From 23:40 in the last video (72) you're not imagining things. For some reason ragdolling moblins in this part of Death Mountain stutters the game on both WiiU and Switch. Happens in a few other places on WiiU, just often enough to say "oh this again", no clue if Switch does those as well.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Frionnel posted:

It's actually pretty lucrative to sell cooked food, by the way. That would help with your money shortage problems.

Huh. Hadn't considered that, but it makes sense. Will keep that in mind, thanks!

savixeon posted:

Also, before you guys try to buy the flamebreaker helmet from the shop, you should go back to the south mine. The reward for the get 10 fire proof lizards quest is a piece of the flamebreaker set of armor. I can't remember what piece it is, so it might be one that you've already gotten but even if it is you can just sell it.

Might do that in our next recording, we... kinda just blazed past that one.

Bruceski posted:

From 23:40 in the last video (72) you're not imagining things. For some reason ragdolling moblins in this part of Death Mountain stutters the game on both WiiU and Switch. Happens in a few other places on WiiU, just often enough to say "oh this again", no clue if Switch does those as well.

So yeah, I've been hearing the same in lots of comments on that video. Sounds like it's a really widespread problem (and one of the first real "come on, Switch" moments we've had, three months in with the system). It's sort of disappointing, but by the same token there are an awful lot of particle effects already. I guess the ragdoll physics are weirdly taxing on the GPU?

Anywho, here's the past two videos. New one coming in a few hours! And it's a new dungeon, I'm so goddamn excited.

Part 72: "Enter the Champion"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZweGviqIkVY

Part 73: "This Is a Team Effort"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Km9vuW9IOY

Oh hey, and on Tuesday we had a pretty neat celebration -- in honor of the 6th anniversary of our very first video (and hitting 3,000 subscribers last week) we had a public hangout and played Quiplash with folks in the stream for a couple hours, it was a rad time.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 22, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am proud of you for puzzling out how to get to that last chest in Rudania. 100 bucks is nothing to sneeze at!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Glazius posted:

I am proud of you for puzzling out how to get to that last chest in Rudania. 100 bucks is nothing to sneeze at!

I'm really puzzled at what the actual value of a Rupee is supposed to be. You pay hundreds and thousands for some items and outfits, and that can be a problem early on, but then you get a few hundred from selling a meat skewer, and a kid hands you fifties for just letting him look at a sword.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Zopotantor posted:

I'm really puzzled at what the actual value of a Rupee is supposed to be. You pay hundreds and thousands for some items and outfits, and that can be a problem early on, but then you get a few hundred from selling a meat skewer, and a kid hands you fifties for just letting him look at a sword.

Let's not forget that if you keep at the ore chunks, you can pretty much live off just that alone, and now that we're safely able to traverse Death Mountain, that should be simple from here out.

Part 74: "Give It a Good Licking"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0k_D2uLeGY

Part 75: "The Thing Where Everything Is Sideways"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tTXCnj0gJo

SO... I'm actually gonna be taking off for a few. Spending the week in a cottage with the girlfriend, then spending a couple days melting to death in the Mexican sun. I'm gonna try to get on as I can, but the internet connection will be rough (all of the episodes are being uploaded and scheduled as we speak), worst case scenario I'll be back in by Friday at the latest to keep everybody up to date! We got ourselves into an interesting puzzle this week, and it's got me thinking about seagulls...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well done on the bomb for that boss, it was the last thing I tried against him. I assumed it was a tennis match and kept trying to hit the fireball. Doesn't work.

Edit: the cutscenes have shown the champions in full control of the divine beasts, they worked everything out before hand. The -blight Ganons snuck up on them when they were focusing on Calamity Ganon, ganked them and took over the beasts themselves.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope you can manage to get the Master Sword before you hit the next couple big dungeons. Given how the last two main quest touchpoints were all "hey where's the Master Sword" and all.

• Locked thread