Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shear Modulus posted:

how hard is it to say "yeah this is really bad but i still have a net positive view of the clintons"

why would you have a positive view of slave holders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
ghost in this hell

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shear Modulus posted:

how hard is it to say "yeah this is really bad but i still have a net positive view of the clintons"

Very, as you'd then have to justify the latter half of the sentence.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Apparently really hard, becaues a bunch of them really obviously wanted to say that but know how bad it looked and had to pretzel-brain to preserve their self-proclaimed status of Adult In The Room

see: "I'm not gonna defend this, but *spends hours defending it*"

"Clinton supporters aren't some kind of weird cult that has to defend every little thing she does, but *spends hours defending it*"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
im just glad people can never bring Clinton up again at this point

"Actually Hillary was goin t-" "Slavery"

"But I mean Clinto-" "Slavery."

"You know what fu-" "Slavery."

:smugbert:

I mean suck zone has a good way of ruining things because of your overzealous nature and beating the same argument over and over since the primaries without much in the way of OC

so take this one in stride if you can namaste~

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I mean, I can say, "While they are in no way admirable, in terms of the alternatives it was probably at least a little better than not that Bill won his two elections, and for all her many faults Hillary wouldn't be destroying American government and society like our current tantrum-prone Hutt of a president is doing," but that is damnably faint praise.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That would mean admitting Queen Abuela is imperfect.

But really the underlying problem is that liberals don't think there's anything wrong with the prison labor complex.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I mean, I can say, "While they are in no way admirable, in terms of the alternatives it was probably at least a little better than not that Bill won his two elections, and for all her many faults Hillary wouldn't be destroying American government and society like our current tantrum-prone Hutt of a president is doing," but that is damnably faint praise.

and even then, trump is doing more damage to the republicans and old timey washington institutions and even poo poo like the GOP fundraising machine than any idealistic progressive ever could through regular channels

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
guys i figured out why neoliberals are defending this

hillary clinton used systematic slavery, which she probably found unjust, to her own benefit

just like hamliton

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

i too liked ghost in the shell

i didnt see the live action movie they made this year and dont really plan to but i read an interesting take where the controversial plot element of scarlett johansen being a white japanese person via her playing a japanese person's mind implanted in an ethnically-white cyborg body was an updating of the gender-fluidity in the original (where motoko and her big buff partner invert gender roles by her being the macho badass and the big buff guy being a tender caretaker, and the villain being a male consciousness in a female body, and in the end after she fuses with the villain her body is a porcelain doll devoid of sexual characteristics, etc) because since the original came out, gender-fluidity and gender-nonbinarity have became non-controversial in much of the mainstream but "racial fluidity" or whatever is of course not

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 19:06 on Jun 7, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

anime was right posted:

hillary clinton used systematic slavery, which she probably found unjust, to her own benefit

just like hamliton

:abuela:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Shear Modulus posted:

i didnt see the live action movie they made this year and dont really plan to but i read an interesting take where the controversial plot element of scarlett johansen being a white japanese person via her playing a japanese person's mind implanted in an ethnically-white cyborg body was an updating of the gender-fluidity in the original (where motoko and her big buff partner invert gender roles by her being the macho badass and the big buff guy being a tender caretaker, and the villain being a male consciousness in a female body, and in the end after she fuses with the villain her body is a porcelain doll devoid of sexual characteristics, etc) because since the original came out, gender-fluidity and gender-nonbinarity havr became non-controversial in the mainstream but "racial fluidity" or whatever is of course not

that sounds like a labyrinthine way of justifying that they wanted to hire a famous white person because they thought it would make them more money

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Al! posted:

that sounds like a labyrinthine way of justifying that they wanted to hire a famous white person because they thought it would make them more money

yeah which is why i didnt put a whole lot of stock in the take but its at least slightly interesting

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bernie sanders is an extradimensional being tasked with the sisyphean ordeal that is repairing hosed timelines

anime was right posted:

just like hamliton
:captainpop:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

bernie sanders

:yeah:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

and even then, trump is doing more damage to the republicans and old timey washington institutions and even poo poo like the GOP fundraising machine than any idealistic progressive ever could through regular channels

Trump's biggest accomplishment might be the destruction of the Reagan demigod cult; the GOP is no longer the party of Reagan, Trump is it's new lord and master.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Apparently really hard, becaues a bunch of them really obviously wanted to say that but know how bad it looked and had to pretzel-brain to preserve their self-proclaimed status of Adult In The Room

see: "I'm not gonna defend this, but *spends hours defending it*"

"Clinton supporters aren't some kind of weird cult that has to defend every little thing she does, but *spends hours defending it*"

they're not even defending basic prison labor which would be one thing, they're defending an even more barbaric system that was struck down almost a decade before the clintons lived in the governor's mansion

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the thing that burns me about this argument is the "voluntarily". it's loving libertarian levels of voluntary, where we ignore everything that pushes a person towards the "voluntary" choice instead of any other choice (for example: prisons putting prisoners who don't work in solitary confinement)

it speaks volumes about what they think civil rights should look like: "well, black people voluntarily choose not to come into my neighborhood! sure the cops shoot them whenever they try, but it was their option!!"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

bernie sanders is an extradimensional being tasked with the sisyphean ordeal that is repairing hosed timelines

bernie never made the final leap home....

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

just like hamliton

"Hamilton was a mistake" - The Hayao Miyazaki of Broadway

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

"Actually Hillary was goin t-" "Slavery"

"But I mean Clinto-" "Slavery."

"You know what fu-" "Slavery."

:smugbert:

I mean suck zone has a good way of ruining things because of your overzealous nature and beating the same argument over and over since the primaries without much in the way of OC

so take this one in stride if you can namaste~

TBH The suck zone has always been like that except "slavery" is a hell of a lot more provable and effective showstopper than "bernie would have won"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

zegermans posted:

TBH The suck zone has always been like th-

slavery

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

For reals you can't even use the "well it was a different time" because in spite of how god awful everything and everyone in the 80s were, including my parents for giving birth to me, I feel like "we stopped this program because they were literal house slaves" wouldn't have been all that politically risky to say.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lol at the south

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
seriously, zegermans, you don't know how to use the edit button?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

seriously, zegermans, you don't know how to use the edit button?

Making new posts has more impact than making separate paragraphs

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ggooooddddoogg/status/872218326809837570

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and before anyone asks, there si nothing in teh soncstitution that say s a dog cant be president

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lastgirl posted:

quoting this for posterity to come back to it in 2019

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

zegermans posted:

Making new posts has more impact than making separate paragraphs

zegermans: more impacted than donalds colon

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

For reals you can't even use the "well it was a different time" because in spite of how god awful everything and everyone in the 80s were, including my parents for giving birth to me, I feel like "we stopped this program because they were literal house slaves" wouldn't have been all that politically risky to say.

It's like people saying "it was a different time" about HP Lovecraft

yes, Lovecraft lived in a time where racism was normalized, but even accounting for that he was still especially racist

and the 1980s were not loving long enough ago to justify using unpaid prisoner de-facto-slavery labor as domestic servants while musing on how they seem almost human (but not quite)

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

and before anyone asks, there si nothing in teh soncstitution that say s a dog cant be president

while technically true, the dog would have to survive to 35 years of age

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

zegermans posted:

but that's not "pragmatic"

(even though it's actually pragmatic as hell to own up to your failings as a human being)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

It's like people saying "it was a different time" about HP Lovecraft

yes, Lovecraft lived in a time where racism was normalized, but even accounting for that he was still especially racist

and the 1980s were not loving long enough ago to justify using unpaid prisoner de-facto-slavery labor as domestic servants while musing on how they seem almost human (but not quite)

while technically true, the dog would have to survive to 35 years of age

dog years

alternatively lets elect a parrot to the presidency, it literally couldn't not be worse than trump

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

mr. president we need your urgent decision!

president bird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjiBpFYubU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why would you have a positive view of slave holders

The Clintons are part of Democratic Party history and culture. They are a symbol of Democratic heritage. They can be honored and remembered without also venerating them for slaveholding. The state of Arkansas had the rights to do this. I think you will find that their main concern was always economics anyway.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

mr. president we need your urgent decision!

president bird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjiBpFYubU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

President bird, he is the president

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

What's there to "justify?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

dog years

alternatively lets elect a parrot to the presidency, it literally couldn't not be worse than trump

I will agree to this as long as I am allowed to sit in a room with this parrot for a period of several months repeating phrases like "nationalize the insurance industry" and "raise the minimum wage" over and over

• Locked thread