Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I also recommend arcanist with the side note that you should really just play what sounds the coolest. If you like Kain, you're gonna love drg and all heavenward content later on.

Tanking is easy but there are a few cliffs in learning it. Understanding provoke and the enmity system can take a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Firstborn posted:

What the hell is the rotating sword sheath about?
industrialized weeb

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Firstborn posted:

Okay, so there's no way to skip to making a Samurai without paying a lot of money. Do Samurai start at level 1? I'm confused as to how character levels and job levels work. If you level a dude up to 60, then switch jobs, do you go and have to kill squirrels again?

I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to be a "story jump potion" if I want to find out about rotating gunblades (which I do). None of the base jobs interest me very much (outside of like... Dragoon).

The "story" is a terrible, neverending procession of fetch quests, so if you can afford the story jump potion please save yourself

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Firstborn posted:

What would you recommend for a first class to level? I'm leaning towards Lancer because Kain owns, but I like the idea of Gladiator. Is tanking hard in this game? I'm like a Mythic raider and WoW and have tanked plenty, I'm not new to MMOs in general, but some of the systems seem more complicated. I don't want to be expected to tank and be lovely just because I like swords.

... I really like being able to pick a first name & last name. I can't pick one that isn't explicitly tied to a class. I don't want to be Lance Wellgood and then turn into a Warrior.

Tanking at low level is super boring and since you have experience you'll be frustrated. You'll literally have to spam one aggro ability as a gladiator until level 25 or so. On the plus side, the early dungeons are babbies first MMO experience, so optimal play is far from required. Tanking late game is more about getting a lead and then going hard on the dps side of the class, using your multiple cooldowns to survive, rather than built-in mitigation or sustain. Getting aggro and staying alive in your defensive stance is easy, but the fun comes from the risk and the optimization. Gladiator/Paladin looks like they're going to be amazing come Stormblood, so you can't really go wrong with that choice.

Lancer/Dragoon is in a similar boat. Unless this changes with Stormblood, your optimal early game rotation will be spamming one button until level 30 or so again. Higher level things all kinda explode with 5-step rotations and multiple oGCD abilities.

They're both good choices, but the early game will be slow as balls. No suger coating it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jinh posted:

Tanking is easy but there are a few cliffs in learning it. Understanding provoke and the enmity system can take a bit.

That said FFXIV probably has some of the better in-game tools for understanding threat (which it needs since you can't use addons!). Also there's this handy guide:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like when clothing sets look really different on roeg just because of their proportions.

The 56 dex set is a good one for that.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hate that shirt on anything but roes, and they pull it off so so well.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Based off that bit at the end of the trailer, it looks like Xenos has a primal/enchanted weapon or maybe a Blessing of Darkness. It'd certainly raise the stakes if Zodiark started taking even indirect action in the story.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Soothing Vapors posted:

The "story" is a terrible, neverending procession of fetch quests, so if you can afford the story jump potion please save yourself

This man speaks nonsense, ignore him.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

This man speaks nonsense, ignore him.

YMMV, I was engaged for pretty much all of the story except for some of the early 2.x post-Praet stuff but I can see why someone else might not be. I think it deserves a shot though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like the story and dialogue :colbert:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I like the story and dialogue :colbert:

Pray return to the waking sands.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oxyclean posted:

At least it's a 2 minute run from the Aetherite.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The story has many good, sometimes even great moments, but so much of it is buried under large amounts of tedium and has spots where it drags so loving hard. It all comes down to how much of that poo poo you can deal with

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vargatron posted:

At least it's a 2 minute run from the Aetherite.

I wonder if the new maps will make it more obvious for new players that coming from Limsa via ferry is a shorter route then the Thanalan Aetherite.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 7, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

That said FFXIV probably has some of the better in-game tools for understanding threat (which it needs since you can't use addons!). Also there's this handy guide:

Nah, ffxiv threat bar is garbage.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder if the new maps will make it more obvious fore new players that coming from Limsa via ferry is a shorter route then the Thanalan Aetherite.

I was level 51 before someone told me that

Squenix should be jailed for not putting a bind point in Vesper Bay

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My wife kind of wants to play, too. Is there no trial version for Mac?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder if the new maps will make it more obvious fore new players that coming from Limsa via ferry is a shorter route then the Thanalan Aetherite.

They should force you to do it a couple times.

Holyshoot posted:

Nah, ffxiv threat bar is garbage.

Agreed although I hate to say it. The picture guide is nice but the enmity bar is really bad. Idk how other games show the same info, maybe you could give the mobs an aura that goes from red to yellow showing how much they hate you and flashing yellow if a mob is focused on a non-tank? That would be ugly though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Jinh posted:

Agreed although I hate to say it. The picture guide is nice but the enmity bar is really bad. Idk how other games show the same info, maybe you could give the mobs an aura that goes from red to yellow showing how much they hate you and flashing yellow if a mob is focused on a non-tank? That would be ugly though.

As a tank I'm mostly ok with the enmity bar. What I would like, however, is an audible queue for when I lose aggro. There's already one for when you get aggro, but I wanna know when that rear end in a top hat NIN who insists on never loving attacking anything I'm hitting starts getting punches without having to watch the bars all the damned time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only thing I'd want is the target enmity list to expand. It's red square whether you're at 101% or 400%. The bars on a single target work well enough for me, but tabbing through targets has a delay before that updates and the enmity list isn't very descriptive if you're the target.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Mods?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Oxyclean posted:

i kept track of how many times i was specifically asked to return to the waking sands (so excluding things like returning to pick up ifrit/titan/garuda hm, etc.) when i leveled my newest character and the total count was around 20.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The worst part of the ffxiv threat system is that they called it "enmity." But I suppose that fits in right beside "yalms" and all the goofy faux?-olde english.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The only thing I'd want is the target enmity list to expand. It's red square whether you're at 101% or 400%. The bars on a single target work well enough for me, but tabbing through targets has a delay before that updates and the enmity list isn't very descriptive if you're the target.

I don't know what you mean by expand specifically, but having the option to just show them as a numerical percentage overall would be neat. It's not very clean, though, so they'll never do it like that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don't know what you mean by expand specifically, but having the option to just show them as a numerical percentage overall would be neat. It's not very clean, though, so they'll never do it like that.

No particular idea on how to expand it. Visible percentage, raw number, more symbols past 100%/Red square, or anything like that would work for me. The symbols are nice because they're so trivial to parse at a glance, so numbers could get a bit ugly.

Expand probably wasn't the best word.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Instead of a red square at 101%+, show a red square at 101-200%, and a red star from 200%+? That way, if you see the star, you know you have too much aggro, and can go back to dps.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

They also attach their crystal focus to the pommel, making it more mage staff-y. I wonder if they'll talk about why rdm use swords at all in the questline or if they'll just focus on the Duality of Magic or something

V E R S A T I L I T Y

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ya'll complain about the trailer doing what the trailer is supposed to do (it's called FORESHADOWING and it replaces the surprise of 'OH MAN THAT THING HAPPENED' to the surprise of 'OH MY FREAKING GOD THAT'S WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT AHHHHHHH') while I sit here and laugh with glee at the Imperial March at the beginning being a retread of the Baron March/theme from FF2/4.

ONE STEP CLOSER TO SOKEN, CLAD IN THE DARK BABY!

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 7, 2017

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

My wife kind of wants to play, too. Is there no trial version for Mac?

As of late last year there wasn't a trial version for Mac. I don't think there is one now, either.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AngusPodgorny posted:

It's a preview of the new visible armoury system. Warrior of Light gets one filled with some swords, a couple books, an axe, and a fishing pole.

This was on the last page, but I'm bringing it up again because I'd legitimately grab this if it was an option.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You can get a full base copy of the game for like $20, though, so it's not like it's a big investment to try it out. Or let her play on your account for a bit?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blockhouse posted:

"Only man has the clarity and wisdom to embrace violence for violence's sake" may be the most villain-rear end villain line I've ever heard
It's a great line imo. Good way of summing up his character.

Plus it sounds cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxyclean posted:

The worst part of the ffxiv threat system is that they called it "enmity." But I suppose that fits in right beside "yalms" and all the goofy faux?-olde english.

FFXI used "enmity" too and FFXIV's original design team had a lot of overlap with FFXI's so they probably just kept it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Have the red dot pulse / flash white if the person in second place is close to talking the enmity lead from you.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Thundarr posted:

Have the red dot pulse / flash white if the person in second place is close to talking the enmity lead from you.

Yeah, something like this would be perfect. Do expert tanks just cycle through all enemies to check the size of the number 2 thread bar, or do they build up enough of a lead that it's not something to even proactively worry at?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah, something like this would be perfect. Do expert tanks just cycle through all enemies to check the size of the number 2 thread bar, or do they build up enough of a lead that it's not something to even proactively worry at?

Speaking from TBC WoW experience it was basically whack a mole, but you had way better threat tracking tools. The threat management in FF14 feels like Vanilla WoW/TBC in how much more difficult it is to keep aggro.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Soothing Vapors posted:

You're wrong and also bad.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CuddlyZombie posted:

I press overpower or abyssal drain a bunch so it doesn't really matter.

This only really fails when there's a ranged mob in the group that I didn't get close to the rest, or something casts a buff that stops him from moving during the pull. I just try to pay more attention to them.

If it's only a couple of targets I'll be tabbing back and forth, but three or more I just aoe spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CuddlyZombie posted:

Ideally you create a big enough threat lead on all targets that you don't need to worry about it. This sometimes needs to be played by ear based on the competence of your current party, your gear + skill level, and the things you are fighting.

• Locked thread