Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Crows Turn Off posted:

LOL, that prepared statement, Comey isn't going to take Trump down. I'm sure the Mueller investigation will produce similar results.

Just 3.5 more years of getting so close to taking down Trump only to be disappointed, and 3.5 more years of Democrats just barely losing elections.

I mean, it's just Comey recounting his private conversations with the president. The president is not going to go to the FBI director and say "look dude you and I are tight so you know how balls deep I am with this Russia thing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think he biggest short term fallout from Comey's prepared statement will be Trump finally giving in to the urge to tweet.

The statement makes Trump look like an imbecilic man child with a tenuous grasp on reality.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

titanium posted:

Re: The piss tape dossier, random poo poo doesnt just show up in there right? I mean they say unsubstantiated but it's not like they're going to brief the president on "hey some random dude on twitter said you touched some poop on the playground in 2014" there must be some reason this filtered up.

Most of it a MI6 British source that the U.S. considers "generally reliable" who is reporting information he got from a source in the Russian intelligence services.

"A Russian guy told a British guy who told us." is not going to be able to be substantiated and there is no way to confirm the Russian source's reliability.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

titanium posted:

Re: The piss tape dossier, random poo poo doesnt just show up in there right? I mean they say unsubstantiated but it's not like they're going to brief the president on "hey some random dude on twitter said you touched some poop on the playground in 2014" there must be some reason this filtered up.

The guy who wrote it was the former head of MI6's Russia bureau, he had a known source inside the Kremlin, and the FBI wanted his info so bad they were willing to pay for it, before the dossier broke to the public.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Night10194 posted:

Remember when one of them was all 'I WISH I HAD CAMPAIGN TRUMP BACK?'

And when another was all 'Man he's such a dumb motherfucker, if we'd just coordinated, we totally could've gotten FIRING THE FBI DIRECTOR to blow over instantly!'

They dumb as poo poo.

One of their major problems is that Trump's twitter addiction makes it impossible for them to form any kind of proper narrative or damage control strategy to the point that many of them probably don't even try anymore. Having days of careful strategy and work routinely blown out of the water by a completely unannounced and unpredictable ten second tweet has to be demoralising.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember when there'd never, ever be a special counsel, either?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ogmius815 posted:

I was commuting when the story broke and I'm having some trouble sifting through it now. Is what's coming out good, bad, or neutral for Trump?

Confirms basically everything we knew as true, plus more details on all of it and explaining Comey's logic behind his actions

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ogmius815 posted:

I was commuting when the story broke and I'm having some trouble sifting through it now. Is what's coming out good, bad, or neutral for Trump?
It's basically a more detailed version of stuff Comey has already said. So neutral I'd say.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

there's basically nothing incriminating in there, the most incriminating thing in there has to do with the pisstape which while funny would not get him impeached.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thanks for making the exact same post that you made the other day!

He’s right though. That all sane people haven’t just blow their brains out is a miracle, cause it feels like it would be easier to do every day.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Hey guys McCain is disturbed by the Comey testimony.

He's Disturbed.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

horse mans posted:

Yeah. For people to think Trump will come within a mile of being impeached is hilarious.

If the Dems take the House isn't it entirely reasonable to forsee the House to vote to impeach him? Granted, convicting him in the Senate is an entirely different matter.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

We're talkin' bout piss, baby
We're talkin' bout tapes and pee
We're talkin' bout hookers peeing all over the presidency

We're talkin' bout piss.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LOL at folks who think they're being "real" by saying how Comey's testimony won't cause a massive senate uprising resulting in the instant impeachment and resignation of the president.

Yeah no poo poo.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Hey guys McCain is disturbed by the Comey testimony.

He's Disturbed.

He's not yet. A staffer will brief him tonight about the level of disturb he should feel tomorrow.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Snuffman posted:

That seems like the last thing you'd want to do.

Also, ignoring the "PISS TAPES REAL" (which they are, why would he try to start an investigation into proving they're false), there was a ton of incriminating stuff in the Steele Dossier that wasn't about piss.

I feel like the general thought on that stuff is that if the most licentious and degenerate thing in there is real, the rest of it is a lock for also true.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thanks for making the exact same post that you made the other day!

You have to understand where that poster's coming from, though. Trump has never had to suffer the consequences for anything in his entire life. gently caress up your company? Declare bankruptcy and walk away. gently caress up your personal finances? Daddy's there to bail you out. Screw over business associates and employees? Throw lawyers at 'em until they can't afford to fight you. Cheat on your supermodel wife? There's hundreds more gagging for it.

This man has spent his whole life knee-deep in poo poo that would ruin anyone else, and he comes out of each incident better off than before. Nothing has stuck to him in 70 years. Why would it start now?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Javes posted:

If the Dems take the House isn't it entirely reasonable to forsee the House to vote to impeach him? Granted, convicting him in the Senate is an entirely different matter.

If the dems take the house Trump will be impeached, with no guarantee he will be convicted.

At the same time, if the Dems take the House and are holding on despite the turbofucking that is the 2018 map for them in the Senate, Trump may well be unpopular enough that things move ahead.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

St. Dogbert posted:

You have to understand where that poster's coming from, though. Trump has never had to suffer the consequences for anything in his entire life. gently caress up your company? Declare bankruptcy and walk away. gently caress up your personal finances? Daddy's there to bail you out. Screw over business associates and employees? Throw lawyers at 'em until they can't afford to fight you. Cheat on your supermodel wife? There's hundreds more gagging for it.

This man has spent his whole life knee-deep in poo poo that would ruin anyone else, and he comes out of each incident better off than before. Nothing has stuck to him in 70 years. Why would it start now?

Because he's never had the full weight of the United States Congress and FBI giving him a complete rectal probe?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

The Glumslinger posted:

Confirms basically everything we knew as true, plus more details on all of it and explaining Comey's logic behind his actions

Yeah it basically ties together all the little tidbits. Reading it as such, there's nothing explosive to the statement, but it does show that the Russia investigation isn't a misfire.

Plus you see how badly Pres Chump is shook in this thing?

Oooooohhhhh the clouuuuuuuud there's a cloooooooud where are my daughters Gonoril Regan and Cordeeeeeliaaaaa

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

there's basically nothing incriminating in there, the most incriminating thing in there has to do with the pisstape which while funny would not get him impeached.

Yes the dossier laying entrenched collusion between the Trump, his presidential campaign, and a hostile foreign power surely isn't incriminating...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Do we know how many times Trump has visited Russia? How long ago might the piss tape have been recorded, Miss Universe in 2013?

Is it possible the Russians have had their hooks into Trump for several years?

gregday
May 23, 2003

mdemone posted:

The guy who wrote it was the former head of MI6's Russia bureau, he had a known source inside the Kremlin, and the FBI wanted his info so bad they were willing to pay for it, before the dossier broke to the public.

The Russian source got murdered a few months ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Yes the dossier laying entrenched collusion between the Trump, his presidential campaign, and a hostile foreign power surely isn't incriminating...
yeah, it isn't.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

LOL at folks who think they're being "real" by saying how Comey's testimony won't cause a massive senate uprising resulting in the instant impeachment and resignation of the president.

Yeah no poo poo.

You don't understand! If Trump isn't removed from office overnight, with all the Republican voters falling down at the Democrats' feet begging for forgiveness and promising to vote Democrat for the rest of their lives, then it means nothing matters!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

St. Dogbert posted:

He's never been accountable to anyone but himself before. And he can't handle it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alter Ego posted:

Because he's never had the full weight of the United States Congress and FBI giving him a complete rectal probe?

He's not going to have the full weight of the US Congress on him as long as the GOP can do anything about it.

Christ, though, it's been what, 31 days since Comey was fired? Didn't Watergate take like 2 years.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

NYT is leading with "Comey told Trump he wasn't under investigation" which seems pretty good for him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Also, please change the thread title to Old President Yells at Cloud

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I like Comey's statement because it takes the 50 kabillion breaking news stories about this matter that happened in the last few months and arranges them all in a neat line from first to last.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Pellisworth posted:

Do we know how many times Trump has visited Russia? How long ago might the piss tape have been recorded, Miss Universe in 2013?

No one would loan him money after 2008 except for the Russians, so the hooks were in then if not before.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Endorph posted:

Actually it is fairly incriminating, it just confirms the already incriminating reports by the WaPo and the NYTs so everyone is acting like it is disappointing.

Trump asks for Comey to shut down the Flynn investigation and "let him go" which is pretty drat incriminating.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Night10194 posted:

He's not going to have the full weight of the US Congress on him as long as the GOP can do anything about it.

Christ, though, it's been what, 31 days since Comey was fired? Didn't Watergate take like 2 years.

Twitter and the 24 hour news cycle, son.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pellisworth posted:

The Dossier alleges they began grooming him at least five years ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Crows Turn Off posted:

LOL, that prepared statement, Comey isn't going to take Trump down. I'm sure the Mueller investigation will produce similar results.

Just 3.5 more years of getting so close to taking down Trump only to be disappointed, and 3.5 more years of Democrats just barely losing elections.

Looks as damning as most people expected. Trump is his own worst enemy. Asking the FBI to drop a case in and of itself isn't illegal. Unwise, stupid, but probably not illegal. It's the firing and then admitting the dismissal was because of the investigation that turns stuff into obstruction.

Comey isn't the smoking gun. Trump is.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pellisworth posted:

It's almost certainly been several years at least

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Most of it a MI6 British source that the U.S. considers "generally reliable" who is reporting information he got from a source in the Russian intelligence services.

"A Russian guy told a British guy who told us." is not going to be able to be substantiated and there is no way to confirm the Russian source's reliability.

The Russian source winding up dead certainly lends some credibility

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ogmius815 posted:

NYT is leading with "Comey told Trump he wasn't under investigation" which seems pretty good for him.

CNN on the other hand isn't pulling any punches

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

CNN's front page is exploding, so it's a mixed bag at best. MSNBC is more of a "read it and see for yourself", and the WaPo is leading with "I need loyalty, I expect loyalty".

The news isn't all good. It's not even MOSTLY good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pellisworth posted:

Trump and his family had been talking about Russian money had been propping them up for like a decade

After they had pissed off every western investor and lender, he ended up going to Russia for help

• Locked thread