Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dr. VooDoo posted:

We aren't gonna get another handheld unles the Switch suddenly tanks the entire point of the Switch is to consolidate both divisions to combat escalating cost and time for developing games on two seperate platforms why would they undo the restructuring they did for that express purpose :psyduck:

This was a reasonable thought pre Switch release and a motivating factor of some people to buy the Switch in the first place, but I no longer think it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

katkillad2 posted:

This was a reasonable thought pre Switch release and a motivating factor of some people to buy the Switch in the first place, but I no longer think it's true.

The 3DS is pretty likely entering its twilight years. Console models like the New 2DS are a way to clear out stockpiles of hardware parts on the cheap.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The 3DS is pretty likely entering its twilight years. Console models like the New 2DS are a way to clear out stockpiles of hardware parts on the cheap.

We're already at the point where some games in the last year or so are straining even the improved hardware. It's gone about as far as it can go.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

katkillad2 posted:

I think it is still true, Nintendo just tends to support its handhelds for years after the successor is on the market. DS came out in 2004, GBA was still getting major new releases in 2006. 3DS came out in 2011, DS was getting releases through 2012.

I fully expect the 3DS to be getting a pretty fair amount of software support through late 2018. I think it'll be killed off at that point, but it has a ways to go before it hits that point.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

Why? Because they're still supporting the 3DS? They have a huge install base that has a lot of third party developers on board still, there is no reason to immediately drop support for it. We will see the stream of game slow to a trickle as more switches get into more hands, and developers spend more time with Switch dev kits

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kashuno posted:

Why? Because they're still supporting the 3DS? They have a huge install base that has a lot of third party developers on board still, there is no reason to immediately drop support for it. We will see the stream of game slow to a trickle as more switches get into more hands, and developers spend more time with Switch dev kits

Atlus especially hates new platforms, which is one of the reasons I was blown away by the SMT announcement back at launch. Like, it's telling that all the games that have release dates are still on 3DS. And, as much as I love Etrian Odyssey, I don't see it coming to Switch because of the cartography. I still hope it does, though. I love the dungeon crawler with the bright aesthetic, bombastic soundtrack, and satisfying synergy-based teambuilding play.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aren't all those new Atlus 3DS announcements already out in Japan?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't disagree that the 3DS is winding down (though it winding down with take at least two years the way it's looking), but I'm not ready to rule out a more dedicated portable device.

The thing is Iwata talked about their next generation of systems sharing an operating system or ecosystem or what the hell ever, so I think it'll be something that has some crossover with the Switch, but isn't necessarily just "the switch cheaper and portable only".

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The switch is already the greatest portable gaming system I have ever used so I don't even know what a "dedicated portable system" could possibly offer

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's funny because Radiant Historia originally came out right before the 3DS and is a large reason why I never actually got around to, so it's funny that it's going to be on the tail end of the 3DS as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

El Burbo posted:

The switch is already the greatest portable gaming system I have ever used so I don't even know what a "dedicated portable system" could possibly offer

Better battery life

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

El Burbo posted:

Affordability.

Being more portable than the Switch already is.

A potential second screen.

Less expensive games.

There's a lot, really. Especially when you take marketing to kids into account.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

El Burbo posted:

I don't really know what appealing portable they could make if it was going to be concurrent with the Switch. A small portable only "Switch" without removable joycons and with a more kid proof design sounds smartest to me but Nintendo so who knows.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Affordability.

Being more portable than the Switch already is.

A potential second screen.

Less expensive games.

There's a lot, really. Especially when you take marketing to kids into account.

Affordability and less expensive games are both things that will be solved by the system getting older

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Phantasium posted:

It's funny because Radiant Historia originally came out right before the 3DS and is a large reason why I never actually got around to, so it's funny that it's going to be on the tail end of the 3DS as well.

Radiant Historia is right behind Xenoblade Chronicles for me as best RPG in the last 10-15 years. So for anyone who has a 3DS and likes RPG's, you should definitely check it out when it's released.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Andrast posted:

Affordability and less expensive games are both things that will be solved by the system getting older

The majority of core titles are still going to be 50 to 60 dollars, because it's a home console.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Better battery life

and smaller! but with a bigger screen! and half the price! and 4G!

really, though I don't see how that would even be possible unless maybe they make it handheld only, like no Joy-Cons, but that seems extremely unlikely.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't really know what appealing portable they could make if it was going to be concurrent with the Switch. A small portable only "Switch" without removable joycons and with a more kid proof design sounds smartest to me but Nintendo so who knows.

That would still be a Switch though not an entire new platform

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

The majority of core titles are still going to be 50 to 60 dollars, because it's a home console.

What makes home console titles inherently 60 dollars? There is nothing stopping them from making less expensive titles.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I don't doubt that there could be another portable, but it seems like a dumb move to have your own products competing against each other.

Remember, this is amidst competition against tablets and phones as well, plenty of kids seem to be happy with these as their day to day "game boy"

Not to mention the video games industry is bigger and more competitive than ever. But who knows? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Ultimately though the idea of buying separate computers to play different game libraries is loving idiotic and makes me rage the more I think about it. I know that's how businesses work and there are legitimate reasons to move up to a new platform (hardware upgrades), but seeing my PS4 sitting on top of my much more capable PC really highlights how artificial this sense of consoles being their own product/service really is.

It's loving dumb y'all and if I could play Persona 5 on my PC i'd have already sold my PS4 (yet again)

E: It's like if certain TV sets were only compatible with certain movies, and you'd find yourself unable to stream say, Shrek 2 on your brand new Samsung tv because they don't have a deal with Dreamworks. Shoulda gone for the Sony set, but then you wouldn't have access to Freddy Got Fingered, which is kind of a dealbreaker, yay consumerism

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 7, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Andrast posted:

What makes home console titles inherently 60 dollars? There is nothing stopping them from making less expensive titles.

Because it's just been that way I guess, not many titles come out at a different price point from the established $60 or whatever unless you get into digital downloads and stuff and smaller indie titles.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I want a game that forces you to Switch between docked and undocked constantly

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That would still be a Switch though not an entire new platform

Exactly. It just seems dumb to me for yet another platform if the Switch is doing well.

Lakbay posted:

I want a game that forces you to Switch between docked and undocked constantly

WarioWare Switch. Imagine the insane ways they could use HD rumble as well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quest For Glory II posted:

Atlus USA announced three 3DS titles, so they will be the ones to carry its carcass: Etrian Odyssey 5 (Fall 2017), Strange Journey Redux (Early 2018), Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology (TBD 2018)

now to wait and see if Etrian 6 is a Switch title

Didn't Atlus release a bunch of stuff on the PSP in the US long after it was dead in the West?

Atlus just loves old handhelds

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Andrast posted:

People who buy home consoles are predisposed to having robust experiences. Yeah, there's always gonna be cheaper eshop titles, but I don't think if they primed, say, a Zelda game a la A Link Between Worlds for the Switch, it'd go over without people comparing it to BOTW even if it was priced the same way as a 3DS title.

Also, this basically precludes Nintendo being willing to give up having two hardware revenue streams in favor of having one. They make more off of hardware than software, even in the case of things like the Wii U.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Switch is a handheld, actually.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Not according to Nintendo, and it's certainly not priced like one yet.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

People who buy home consoles are predisposed to having robust experiences. Yeah, there's always gonna be cheaper eshop titles, but I don't think if they primed, say, a Zelda game a la A Link Between Worlds for the Switch, it'd go over without people comparing it to BOTW even if it was priced the same way as a 3DS title.

I bet it would go over great because people like good games.

New super Mario bros Wii and Wii U sold a loving ton of copies even though Galaxy and 3D World exist and they were full price titles. Games like BOTW and link between worlds are very different experiences, just like NSMBU and 3D World.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

That depends. Imagine if they were going to release, let's say, a sequel to Link Between Worlds on the Switch. Would it be priced at $60 or would it be priced closer to Link Between Worlds? Switch becoming the de facto portable console doesn't mean that all games will instantly be cheaper.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, it's $50 higher than a Launch Vita for what appears to be a significantly more powerful system. I'm not really sure what "not priced like a portable" means to you, unless you're comparing it to the notoriously underpowered 2/3DS, which has a price point reflective of relatively cheap hardware, with low resolution screens and no HDMI out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's only 50 dollars more than the 3DS and the Vita launch price

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah if Nintendo were to release another successor to the DS line, it would almost certainly retail for at least $250 given what they charge for the outdated piece of poo poo hardware in the *NEW* 3DS and 2DS

So I also don't buy that the switch itself is priced like a console, maybe the games are tho

An extra $100 is more than reasonable for the much better spec'd switch in contrast to the 3DS line

E: haha and that $200 doesn't even get you a charger with the new 3DS now that I think about it

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 7, 2017

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

1, 2, Switch not being a pack-in is all you need to know about the future pricing plan.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Posted via my $600 smartphone.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mahoning posted:

That depends. Imagine if they were going to release, let's say, a sequel to Link Between Worlds on the Switch. Would it be priced at $60 or would it be priced closer to Link Between Worlds? Switch becoming the de facto portable console doesn't mean that all games will instantly be cheaper.

That's what I meant, largely. People would have certain expectations about these kinds of titles. If they did a 2D Zelda and priced it like a 3DS title, I think people would treat it differently, and even question why it wasn't 20 dollars cheaper.

Andrast posted:

I bet it would go over great because people like good games.

New super Mario bros Wii and Wii U sold a loving ton of copies even though Galaxy and 3D World exist and they were full price titles. Games like BOTW and link between worlds are very different experiences, just like NSMBU and 3D World.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was 60 dollars. That doesn't really lend to the idea that there's room for cheaper titles on the Switch, just different styles of gameplay. Again, this isn't really cost effective for kids.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's only 50 dollars more than the 3DS and the Vita launch price

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, it's $50 higher than a Launch Vita for what appears to be a significantly more powerful system. I'm not really sure what "not priced like a portable" means to you, unless you're comparing it to the notoriously underpowered 2/3DS, which has a price point reflective of relatively cheap hardware, with low resolution screens and no HDMI out.

The Vita and the 3DS both suffered for their launch prices. Significantly. I'm not sure that's a very good case you're making.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Switch is the successor to the Wii U. Nintendo isn't making anymore Wii U games because the Wii U did not sell well.

The Switch is the successor to the 3DS. Nintendo is still making 3DS games because the 3DS is still selling well.

Those aren't contradictory. The Switch is both a handheld and a home console. HENCE THE loving NAME.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was 60 dollars. That doesn't really lend to the idea that there's room for cheaper titles on the Switch, just different styles of gameplay. Again, this isn't really cost effective for kids.

Do you think NSMB would have sold less if it was cheaper?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Art imitates life, thread posters imitate thread titles

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Vita and the 3DS both suffered for their launch prices. Significantly. I'm not sure that's a very good case you're making.

Either way, a new 3ds xl (which is totally poo poo hardware by modern standards) is still $200 and it still seems to have sold like crazy. And the Vita did...okay. The memory cards are what really screwed that up.

I don't think an extra $100 for Actual Good Hardware makes it land straight into console price territory.

That said it's likely that, like any company, Nintendo is playing it safe and will decide whether to crank out a successor to the DS or not based on how the switch does. See: the DS, proud "third pillar" of nintendo's many offerings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Switch is the successor to the 3DS. Nintendo is still making 3DS games because the 3DS is still selling well.

That is not what Nintendo is saying. Reggie said the following:

"Fils-Aimé assured that the 3DS "has a long life in front of it", and it and the Switch are meant to co-exist in Nintendo's view"

Co-Exist means it is not a successor.

Also. "The Switch is primarily marketed as a home video game console"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 7, 2017

• Locked thread