Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the MSU stuff is primarily due to the public backlash against Baylor (and PSU, natch), not to mention the other scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

iospace posted:

I think the MSU stuff is primarily due to the public backlash against Baylor (and PSU, natch), not to mention the other scandal.

Eh - 5 sexual assault issues in a year is a lot

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Spintzel posted:

4 of the Ole Miss violations came from Houston Nutt. The dude cheated and still had a 10 - 22 conference record at ole miss

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky dismissed senior DE Alvonte Bell for violation of team rules. Not sure the d-line can get much thinner. Gotta hope some freshman can step up this year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/6/15724156/college-football-relegation-promotion-simulation

Bill Connelly ran a 15-year simulation to show what a promotion and relegation system would look like for college football.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spacebump posted:

Is the NCAA ever going to bring the hammer down on Baylor?

Sexual Assault is not an NCAA violation

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sexual Assault is not an NCAA violation

An administration covering up sexual assault so that its sports teams will do better should be.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pakled posted:

An administration covering up sexual assault so that its sports teams will do better should be.

It unfortunately, is not either. Look at Penn State.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

You would think so, and it was, but now it isnt.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/6/15724156/college-football-relegation-promotion-simulation

Bill Connelly ran a 15-year simulation to show what a promotion and relegation system would look like for college football.

My biggest worry would be that a couple of schools would eventually get caught in a cycle of relegation/promotion as the best team in the bottom league and the worst in the top league. The difference between tier 1 and tier 2 not being so great would mitigate that, but it'd be interesting in practice.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Pakled posted:

Hooray Mizzou! Way to make the playoffs twice and then get relegated!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
San Diego State is probably going to end up playing at Petco Park in 2019 and then has no where to play in 2020 because the Padres think that's the year where they'll make the playoffs.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

San Diego State is probably going to end up playing at Petco Park in 2019 and then has no where to play in 2020 because the Padres think that's the year where they'll make the playoffs.

Are they tearing down Qualcomm? Is that smaller soccer stadium plan going to happen?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kayakyakr posted:

Are they tearing down Qualcomm? Is that smaller soccer stadium plan going to happen?

Qualcomm is definitely going away. The soccer thing is up in the air right now and might be on the November ballot

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Auston Robertson, the MSU player who got dismissed after sexually assaulting a woman, is the one who reported the three other players who just got dismissed and arraigned for sexual assault.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...trio/102589914/

...yeah

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know why people fixate on relegation without addressing the real problem facing college football: too many teams named Tigers.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Sash! posted:

I don't know why people fixate on relegation without addressing the real problem facing college football: too many teams named Tigers.

I'm from Tuscaloosa and I say kill them all

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Raku posted:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
http://m.newsok.com/source-bob-stoops-retiring/article/5551964

Not seeing it anywhere else yet, but a relatively reputable Oklahoma paper is reporting Bob Stoops is retiring. Not sure it's real but definitely might be

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

:salt:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Quandary posted:

http://m.newsok.com/source-bob-stoops-retiring/article/5551964

Not seeing it anywhere else yet, but a relatively reputable Oklahoma paper is reporting Bob Stoops is retiring. Not sure it's real but definitely might be

Twitter adding that Riley will take over.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hope he's okay/ That's really sudden

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Whoa.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Reportedly it's not healthy related. I like Riley a lot from what I've seen, but I'm having trouble coming to terms with a bob stoops less ou

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
As a fan, would you have preferred an external search? Just curious.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Goddammit, he may not have brought in national championships like the admin hoped but you couldn't ask for a more steady coach and great person. We'll sure miss him around here.

An update just mentioned he just feels like it's time to live life.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

As a fan, would you have preferred an external search? Just curious.

Nope. Riley has done very well in his limited time at OU and had been fairly openly being groomed as the HC in waiting, and I can't think of who else I would want that's available. I kinda figured Riley would take over but didn't think it would be near this soon.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/872531544501440512

Still though. Odd to do it in June.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

RAID THEIR RECRUITS

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Quandary posted:

Nope. Riley has done very well in his limited time at OU and had been fairly openly being groomed as the HC in waiting, and I can't think of who else I would want that's available. I kinda figured Riley would take over but didn't think it would be near this soon.

hey remember when Mark Richt was considering but not really considering Lincoln Riley and instead went with Brian Schottenheimer ha that was a hoot wasn't it I'm sure Schotty's in line for a major HC gig somewhere these days

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow, OU is losing a hell of a coach there.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'll miss you Stoops. Thanks for all the fun memories. Met my wife on a trip to the 2005 Holiday Bowl.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 7, 2017

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Dilber posted:

RAID THEIR RECRUITS

I can 100% guarantee every recruit has a closer relationship to Riley than Stoops at this point, and they're probably honestly excited by this.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Would have been cooler if he had decided to live life before the incoming freshman faxed their LOI.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wouldn't argue against anyone walking away from coaching because they wanted a life, but 56 is pretty young for a major college coach to do that right?

I guess Urban Meyer for health wanting out of Florida reasons. How many other guys have done this?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
HOLY poo poo BOB STOOPS IS RETIRING

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Quandary posted:

I can 100% guarantee every recruit has a closer relationship to Riley than Stoops at this point, and they're probably honestly excited by this.

well then, never mind.

I can't remember a single major scandal of Stoops, so good on him. Enjoy life.

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I wouldn't argue against anyone walking away from coaching because they wanted a life, but 56 is pretty young for a major college coach to do that right?

I guess Urban Meyer for health wanting out of Florida reasons. How many other guys have done this?

With every passing year it becomes clearer that Gruden did just this. Not a college coach, though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Art Core...velay posted:

With every passing year it becomes clearer that Gruden did just this. Not a college coach, though.

Yeah I just thought of Jimmy Johnson too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Good on him. He was a hell of a coach and I have nothing but respect for people who prioritize life over work, which I'm going to assume he hasn't been doing for the past few decades.

• Locked thread