Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Evil Mastermind posted:

It really did.

Ghost Rider + Flash + Etrigan? Why not?

Wasn't Speed Demon a Spider-Man villain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Keeshhound posted:

Oh, that children's book with the literal yellow face art? Yeah, that was my introduction to it too, but the actual legend is still pretty cool.

Well, that and "Rikki-Tikki Tembo" where the moral of the story is "That's why Chinese people have short names"

You know, when you're 5 and someone reads that to you you don't think much about it, but looking back, holy poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't recall, were there issues with the Br'er Rabbit stories themselves or just the Song of the South?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I don't recall, were there issues with the Br'er Rabbit stories themselves or just the Song of the South?

The Tar Baby story is pretty infamously a point of contention even outside of SotS.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Well, if you mean the original Uncle Remus stories, many folks do have issues with Remus himself, who is pretty much the ideal plantation slave: docile, amiable, and devoted to his white "family." Plus they're written in dialect, which is always tricky to deal with.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghostlight posted:

I googled "doctor doom piss water" but it didn't even turn up any deviantart.

The joke was that Waterworld Kevin Costner was a better man than Richards.

Also, Doom is too noble a man to ever urinate. :gaz:

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Dareon posted:

The joke was that Waterworld Kevin Costner was a better man than Richards.

Also, Doom is too noble a man to ever urinate. :gaz:

He uses a spell to move the contents of his bladder into today's willing citizen of Latveria all day.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

joehonkie posted:

Amalgam had so many ridiculous mashups:

Paste Pot Pete + Matter-Eater Lad = Paste-Eater Pete!

(also, reasonable people may disagree about The Five Chinese Brothers.)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

prefect posted:

I wonder what he thinks they do at sewage-treatment plants.

I completely buy the idea that Reed's first reaction to seeing something he's unfamiliar with or skeptical of in a movie is to try and reproduce it in his lab, rather than just Googling it like a normal human being.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bruceski posted:

The stories themselves, not really; the dialect though, definitely.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Wasn't Speed Demon a Spider-Man villain?

yep

edit: this is from superior foes of spider man #5 (I think)

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 7, 2017

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Nova #7

I am really going to miss this book. :sadwave:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"You look like the wrong half of Dazzler" is pretty good. Is that one guy Spider-Man in disguise or something?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
It's from Superior Foes of Spider-Man and you should read it because it was great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tensokuu posted:

It's from Superior Foes of Spider-Man and you should read it because it was great.

Don't give Nick Spencer your money.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Are you going to repeat that every single time someone mentions how much they like Superior Foes?

Also, give Superior Foes all your money.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

purple death ray posted:

"You look like the wrong half of Dazzler" is pretty good. Is that one guy Spider-Man in disguise or something?

Superior Foes is just really, really funny. Considering the writer it came out of nowhere.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ghostlight posted:

Did somebody say science miracle?

[Ultimate Spider-man #98]

Knowing that this version of Reed eventually becomes the Maker, this makes the act of tricking Johnny into drinking his piss more believable.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Knowing that this version of Reed eventually becomes the Maker, this makes the act of tricking Johnny into drinking his piss more believable.

I make-a da pee!

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'd make an exception for this because it was cool and good.

I also give Mark Waid my money even though he feels people who are critical of comic writers should be punched in their "smug-rear end faces."

So, you know, buy what you like/enjoy and stop worrying about the politics of the writer?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tensokuu posted:

So, you know, buy what you like/enjoy and stop worrying about the politics of the writer?

No.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

It's the siren call of gently caress you got mine so it makes sense that a comic nerd would say it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"I'm in favor of social progress as long as it doesn't make me feel bad about the children's entertainment I consume."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tensokuu posted:

I'd make an exception for this because it was cool and good.

I also give Mark Waid my money even though he feels people who are critical of comic writers should be punched in their "smug-rear end faces."

Well, compromise. Accept that there's no such thing as ethical consumption, and that the quality of a product is separate from the beliefs of its creator(s), but don't be ashamed to boycott somebody who thinks Captain Hydra is a good idea.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

darthbob88 posted:

Well, compromise. Accept that there's no such thing as ethical consumption, and that the quality of a product is separate from the beliefs of its creator(s), but don't be ashamed to boycott somebody who thinks Captain Hydra is a good idea.

This seems fair. Don't expect anything to be pure, but don't let that stop you from avoiding things that are dirtier than you like.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

I'm cool with that idea too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A very important corollary to that is "don't pick fights with people if their threshold for" too dirty" is stricter or looser than your own" too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

Are you going to repeat that every single time someone mentions how much they like Superior Foes?

I'll say it as many times as I need to.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Okay. I'm noticing that we're drifting further into a tangent that involves a very distinct lack of funny panels being posted or discussed so heres some more stuff from the last issue of Nova.
One covered up for spoilers.

Richard lives, boys and girls!

I'll miss Old Man Rider complaining about the young'uns putting on their supertights.

Lurdiak posted:

It's starting to get annoying.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lurdiak posted:

Well, while you're saying it, maybe include funny, ethically sourced panels? (Disclaimer: the following is not guaranteed to be ethically sourced.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A year before that issue dropped, an animated film about gnomes aired on CBS. It was based on a book from 1976 about gnomes. (I have a copy somewhere.) That book was also the inspiration for David the Gnome.

All I can think is that the writer, or the editor, or someone, got seriously jazzed up about gnomes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tales Designed to Thrizzle #1:

SilverSupernova posted:

It's starting to get annoying.

So is people posting unfunny Superior Foes panels.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

So is people posting unfunny Superior Foes panels.

One person is posting what they consider to be a funny panel like the thread politely asks us to.
One person is just jumping into the thread to complain about one writer they dislike and contributing nothing else in said post every single time said author is mentioned or posted regardless of context.
Which one sounds more annoying?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SilverSupernova posted:

One person is posting what they consider to be a funny panel like the thread politely asks us to.
One person is just jumping into the thread to complain about one writer they dislike and contributing nothing else in said post every single time said author is mentioned or posted regardless of context.

Let's not fight. :shobon:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is Worldmind still trapped? :(

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

I dunno, someone start posting really unfunny Sonic comics real fast so we have a third contender.

quote:

I don't know where to start here, other than that this feels like a full-color Achewood comic with humans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's every sonic comic, though!

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is Worldmind still trapped? :(

Yup, it turned evil and was trying to bring the Cancerverse to 616. He wanted to make a world where no one would ever feel the pain of losing someone again, like how he was forced to feel the deaths of all the Nova Corps.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dammit worldmind :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Here's Kate Beaton on Wonder Woman

Also felt I should say I watch Leni Riefenstahl films, so I will never tell someone they shouldn't consume any piece of media because of a moral objection