Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Red Red Blue posted:

The story has many good, sometimes even great moments, but so much of it is buried under large amounts of tedium and has spots where it drags so loving hard. It all comes down to how much of that poo poo you can deal with

The worst is that after enduring all the stupid fetch quest the game rewards you with a big gently caress you red quest mark. Time to grind those snore-inducing low lvl dungeons to be able to continue the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

Ideally you create a big enough threat lead on all targets that you don't need to worry about it. This sometimes needs to be played by ear based on the competence of your current party, your gear + skill level, and the things you are fighting.

And if your DPS do that annoying thing where they're barely restrained putton-pushing-numbers-making machines and start attacking stuff while I'm still in the 'AoE to get initial aggro, position them for maximum curbstomping, build solid AoE threat' phase of doing my tanking job.

They can rip enmity from me by doing that. At least they have the decency to not complain about doing so!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pigbottom posted:

The worst is that after enduring all the stupid fetch quest the game rewards you with a big gently caress you red quest mark. Time to grind those snore-inducing low lvl dungeons to be able to continue the story.

That is frustrating but the game does a decent enough job of telling you where to go or giving you suggestions for leveling. I kind of wish the Recommended Duty tool wasn't restricted to the zone you're in and showed you options across all maps for your level band.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

Nah, ffxiv threat bar is garbage.

This could finally change in next patch.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yshtolas not dead lol she just got hit then had blood in her mouth

by that logic alisaie is dead too

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Ya'll complain about the trailer doing what the trailer is supposed to do (it's called FORESHADOWING and it replaces the surprise of 'OH MAN THAT THING HAPPENED' to the surprise of 'OH MY FREAKING GOD THAT'S WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT AHHHHHHH') while I sit here and laugh with glee at the Imperial March at the beginning being a retread of the Baron March/theme from FF2/4.

ONE STEP CLOSER TO SOKEN, CLAD IN THE DARK BABY!

I know! That imperial anthem is some serious USSR poo poo, and I love it.

E: Also, that goddess fight (Lakshmi??) looks rad as balls.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jinh posted:

They should force you to do it a couple times.

Agreed although I hate to say it. The picture guide is nice but the enmity bar is really bad. Idk how other games show the same info, maybe you could give the mobs an aura that goes from red to yellow showing how much they hate you and flashing yellow if a mob is focused on a non-tank? That would be ugly though.

Other games mainly wow have made threat not an issue ever. FFXIV treats threat like TBC days. And they also need to get rid of over healing causing threat cause IMO that is stupid.

The % options falls apart when you're 8 mins into a fight and the tank is at 900k and the dps are at 810k threat. They are technically behind by 10% but it takes quite a bit of moves to gain 90k threat. Where as at the start you're at 100k and the dps are at 90k and that is also 10% behind but is one or two moves to over take you.

They need to just give us numbers like the ACT enimity list gives you. I really hope ACT doesn't break when SB comes out or is fixed quickly.

Thundarr posted:

Ideally you create a big enough threat lead on all targets that you don't need to worry about it. This sometimes needs to be played by ear based on the competence of your current party, your gear + skill level, and the things you are fighting.

Except if I'm a drk I'm eventually going to be over taken at some point in threat doing my dps combo. So I'd like to know the exact moment I need to pop off a power slash, which ACT lets me do. Those bars do not.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Also if you're just starting, play on Excalibur. You might have to make your character at 7am, but the support network that the 3 goon guilds has is pretty great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Farg posted:

yshtolas not dead lol she just got hit then had blood in her mouth

by that logic alisaie is dead too

I'm glad Y'shtola and Alisaie are dead.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wacky Delly posted:

Also if you're just starting, play on Excalibur. You might have to make your character at 7am, but the support network that the 3 goon guilds has is pretty great.

I was able to make a character last Friday at about 9:00PM, but with new people coming back this may not be the case. Gaming with Goons is way more fun and people can help you out with baby starter gear. I'm new too.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
bit of a weird choice to have alphinaud off raubahn, but hell, it sure sets a tone

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

Except if I'm a drk I'm eventually going to be over taken at some point in threat doing my dps combo. So I'd like to know the exact moment I need to pop off a power slash, which ACT lets me do. Those bars do not.

Not disagreeing that the enmity tracking tools we have now are less than ideal.

EponymousMrYar posted:

And if your DPS do that annoying thing where they're barely restrained putton-pushing-numbers-making machines and start attacking stuff while I'm still in the 'AoE to get initial aggro, position them for maximum curbstomping, build solid AoE threat' phase of doing my tanking job.

They can rip enmity from me by doing that. At least they have the decency to not complain about doing so!

The dps can take a punch or two until agro is solidified, meanwhile I have GL stacks to build/maintain. :colbert:

(Thoughtful dps should at least open up on the target of your initial tomahawk/shield toss instead of some random thing within range)

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 7, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah, something like this would be perfect. Do expert tanks just cycle through all enemies to check the size of the number 2 thread bar, or do they build up enough of a lead that it's not something to even proactively worry at?

I do this, but I think it's because I'm a terrible tank, not an expert. Plus Paladins have way less AoE (for now :)) so I can't spam anything really.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i can't believe the WOL is a primal alphinaud summoned based off his imaginary friend from his childhood

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Vargatron posted:

I was able to make a character last Friday at about 9:00PM, but with new people coming back this may not be the case. Gaming with Goons is way more fun and people can help you out with baby starter gear. I'm new too.

Can you transfer to Excalibur?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
although yshtola is dead, she will be immortalized by that cool nude drawing alphinaud made

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Oh gently caress that trailer

HELLS OPEN, HEAVEN WEEPS

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

I do this, but I think it's because I'm a terrible tank, not an expert. Plus Paladins have way less AoE (for now :)) so I can't spam anything really.

Nah, it's actually a better thing to do as a tank than lazily spam AoE's.

Thundarr posted:

The dps can take a punch or two until agro is solidified, meanwhile I have GL stacks to build/maintain. :colbert:

Except sometimes it's the SCH dotting and Bane-ing and I can't ignore that like I can a dps.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

although yshtola is dead, she will be immortalized by that cool nude drawing alphinaud made

the next fan art promotion will be for nude drawings of y'shtola

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

the next fan art promotion will be for nude drawings of y'shtola

*hovers hand over Google Search for "Y'shtola nudes"*

:smithicide:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

That is one awesome Level 3 Limit Break. :stare:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Farg posted:

She has a easy out though, ever since she was pulled out the aether in HW. She's probably more aether than catte, so a regular death wouldn't finish her off.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
do not forget that it is CANON that alphinuad is always thinking about the time he saw yshtola nude

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Firstborn posted:

My wife kind of wants to play, too. Is there no trial version for Mac?

Mac support is kind of flimsy. As I recall, they redid a bunch of stuff for it around HW and didn't bother to go back to make a good version of the base game. As a result, I guess they also didn't bother to make a demo. I'm not 100% sure on that, though. Your best bet is to let her play on your computer a bit and see if she likes it.

If you're absolute desperate, you can look up Wine with staging for Mac OS. If you can get that to install/build properly, you can use it to run the Windows demo with pretty good results. A lot of work for a demo, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty disappointed that it looks like we'll be fighting Lakshmi, rather than defending her against Garlean troops like people were speculating.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty disappointed that it looks like we'll be fighting Lakshmi, rather than defending her against Garlean troops like people were speculating.

Even if they're nice we gotta kill the Primals.

Maybe she'll be like Ramuh and she goes "Yeah, I gotta go but I have to go down fighting"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

Even if they're nice we gotta kill the Primals.

Maybe she'll be like Ramuh and she goes "Yeah, I gotta go but I have to go down fighting"

Or she'll be completely like Ramuh and be like 'ok yeah Beard-daddy was right, you got this. I'ma just gonna chill out here ya'll. Hey you follower guys, these guys are cool and good and strong, be nice to them. Peace.'

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

EponymousMrYar posted:

Or she'll be completely like Ramuh and be like 'ok yeah Beard-daddy was right, you got this. I'ma just gonna chill out here ya'll. Hey you follower guys, these guys are cool and good and strong, be nice to them. Peace.'

Their very existence is a constant drain of aether from Hydaelyn.

Good or not, chill or not, they have to be destroyed.

And Ramuh dissipates when you beat him, knowing that things are in capable hands. He just gets resummoned for round 2.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
More to the point, did you see the footage of the fight? With the lotus flowers and the giant lady? That's why we gotta fight the primals. Because it's a good way for the art team to trip out and do something super cool.

E: Or chrysanthemum or whatever

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They're also a good excuse for Koji Fox to make up lyrics for a song.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Farg posted:

What?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fighting Primals: It's good for everyone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Farg posted:

do not forget that it is CANON that alphinuad is always thinking about the time he saw yshtola nude

alphinaud is a horn dog who apparently hit on all the girls back in magic academy, including krile

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if Susano, Lord of the Revel's theme isn't ska i'm gonna kill soken

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty disappointed that it looks like we'll be fighting Lakshmi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's true but never shown. there's also a drawing of nude thancred floating around with a nutkin used as a dignity leaf.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A drawing? An in-game cutscene still, you mean.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh right I'm fuzzy on the deets, I'll have to set it as my wallpaper when I get home to remember for next time it's brought up.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They're also a good excuse for Koji Fox to make up lyrics for a song.

all that i ask for in this game is a primal phase transition that can match the sheer hype factor of shiva's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

dmboogie posted:

all that i ask for in this game is a primal phase transition that can match the sheer hype factor of shiva's

Still my favorite although a lot of people like the first song better. It's an amazing transition!

• Locked thread