Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
That shower tile is sexy, is it real stone? How easy is it to keep clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
It's a mid price ceramic tile. It should be easy to clean after we seal it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Your house is looking really nice, what was the budget to build it?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Man if you sunk that tub a few inches it would be really nice...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Gounads posted:

Looking over the list from last week...

Finish Plumbing
Final Electrical (+ meter) - I think we're just waiting for inspections + meter now
Yard clearing / grass seeding
Water heaters
Finish Guard rail
Finish Heating / AC - This might be done, more work was completed.
Propane Tank
Shower - All tiled, needs door
Backsplash
Finish coat on stairs
Exterior window crown details
Decorative windows/vents/something at two front peaks
Driveway Paving
Inspections
Garage door openers
Porch skirt
Sheathing over bulkhead trimmed off
Under the bulkhead has settled and needs to be filled
Trim tar paper under deck
Broken basement window
2x Door knobs (these are ordered)
Broken front hall light
Microwave outlet
Closet shelving

Ticked off a bunch of big things there.

That's a beautiful tub. Renovating our non-master upstairs bath is on The List, but sadly it's just not big enough for a tub like that (and who knows if the floor would support the damned thing).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

do you plan on frosting your bathroom windows or are you in the country enough that who gives a drat?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

My house only uses this style of door stop, I hate these pieces of poo poo. Adjusting them is just fiddly and sucks but what is worse is that when they stop the door they tend to twist applying a torque on the pin that lifts it up and let's the door open up just slightly farther every time. As a result, all of my walls have dimples from the door knobs. Maybe it's just something about my hinges but the pins just don't work with those stops.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

My house only uses this style of door stop, I hate these pieces of poo poo. Adjusting them is just fiddly and sucks but what is worse is that when they stop the door they tend to twist applying a torque on the pin that lifts it up and let's the door open up just slightly farther every time. As a result, all of my walls have dimples from the door knobs. Maybe it's just something about my hinges but the pins just don't work with those stops.

I prefer the type where both sides contact the wall as a rigid piece, those were just the first hit on google. That might help with your problem, unless I'm thinking about it wrong. If they do swing a little further our adventurer is in for a fun game of sweeping up safety glass.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

KKKLIP ART posted:

do you plan on frosting your bathroom windows or are you in the country enough that who gives a drat?

That side is woods for at least 400 feet, no worries.

everdave posted:

Man if you sunk that tub a few inches it would be really nice...

I did get a good deal on some river stones.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Your house is looking really nice, what was the budget to build it?

Thanks. With the amount of stuff we've bought off-contract, not entirely sure anymore, less than $500k

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gounads posted:

That side is woods for at least 400 feet, no worries.
This type of thinking is why I spend so much time in the woods.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Slugworth posted:

This type of thinking is why I spend so much time in the woods.

Avatar/post combo of the year so far right here.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Started moving.

Just stuff I can store in the basement for now. Doing it right this time with proper shelving and I'm just starting to realize how much more space we have to put stuff. This was two car loads of stuff from my old workshop. I thought I would need both shelves.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Seeing your AV pulls coming in there reminded me to ask if you wired for ethernet or ever got those hotspots for a mesh-wifi network?

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Seeing your AV pulls coming in there reminded me to ask if you wired for ethernet or ever got those hotspots for a mesh-wifi network?

I'm fairly sure the blue cables there are cat5/6/9000, and if they're not, then his contractor needs to be taken out back and shot. A new build house without Ethernet would be loving retarded.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
In that picture, those are phone, didn't actually check what type of cable.

Upstairs closet has power, cable, and ethernet drops that run to every room I thought we'd ever need it in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJamo posted:

I'm fairly sure the blue cables there are cat5/6/9000, and if they're not, then his contractor needs to be taken out back and shot. A new build house without Ethernet would be loving retarded.

All the "luxury" poo poo going up in the Miami area is being built without ethernet, because wifi. It makes my soul ache for all those people.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gounads posted:

In that picture, those are phone, didn't actually check what type of cable.

Upstairs closet has power, cable, and ethernet drops that run to every room I thought we'd ever need it in.

usually normal pots is run on cat 5 too nowadays..

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Inspection week!
Final Electrical & Plumbing inspection tomorrow.
Fire department Wednesday
Building inspector / occupancy on Thursday

Wednesday seeding
Thursday/Friday - Paving

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

What's the manufacturer and model of that shower head? My wife loves those kinds of shower heads, and we've only found Delta that made one like that. Your pictured showerhead looks much better.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Manwich posted:

What's the manufacturer and model of that shower head? My wife loves those kinds of shower heads, and we've only found Delta that made one like that. Your pictured showerhead looks much better.

It looks like the one I installed in our shower. It is a Delta. It's also loving awesome. It has multiple settings for either one or both the outer ring and the handheld part and has a "pause" function that drops the stream to a trickle which my wife loves for when she's shaving her legs.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Delta-In2Ition-174-Chrome-WaterSense-Showerhead-with-Hand-Shower/50297997

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I'm pretty sure it's a delta.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

The toothy looking panel up high is so you can feed wires down the wall for a wallmount tv. See anything missing?

Appliances look great.

Got our plumbing, electrical, gas, and fire department approvals. Today is the air seal test. Tomorrow final inspections. Grass & Driveway are supposed to be happening over the next three days as well, but we had a lot of rain yesterday so we'll see if it's too muddy.

Builder sent me a bill today which is super-annoying since there will probably be another one next week and I have to pay $500 for each bank inspection. Trying to get him to take a lesser amount I could pay out of pocket until then.

Movers are scheduled for next Thursday.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Gounads posted:

The toothy looking panel up high is so you can feed wires down the wall for a wallmount tv. See anything missing?

So who gets smacked upside the head for that gently caress up?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My dude that kitchen is :kickinrad:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Also should be a power outlet up top because IIRC you can't run a regular power cable in wall, even if you had another toothy exit ;)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well you CAN.... :haw:

It's very much not code compliant to do so, but a lot of people do it. :smith:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also is that low voltage box supposed to be offcentered? Assuming this is for a TV and wondering how that is going to play with the thermostat.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

The Dave posted:

Also is that low voltage box supposed to be offcentered? Assuming this is for a TV and wondering how that is going to play with the thermostat.

The wall extends to the right past the picture, the TV would comfortably fit if we had a way to wire it.

There's a bunch of little things like this that'll have to get taken care of. Dings in walls. A Broken window. Broken toilet seat. The fan in the master bath doesn't turn off.

Shower door is the only missing big thing I can think of, but we don't need that to move.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There is a code-compliant solution to in-wall power now: https://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-...recessed+outlet

It mounts like a low volt box (i.e., doesn't need to be on a stud) because it's not permanently wired to utility power.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'd worry a little about heat from a TV throwing off temperatures for the thermostat. Might only be a degree or two but could be annoying.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hard to tell what the rest of the wall is, but chances are you can't get your wallmount tv stand to fit over the wiring hole anyway, you want it offset to the side. No power up on that part of the wall sucks, but would be easy enough to add a remodel box and connect to the lower outlet.

Here is one I did in my basement, you can see that the box would not fit within the wallmount.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Popped over to go over the list of stuff left and hand over another big chunk of money.

He was on top of pretty much everything.
Shower door is being measured tomorrow.
Couldn't do lawn today, too wet.

The fan in the bathroom that stays on... is supposed to stay on. It goes down to 1/3 speed and is apparently some newish code. Anyone ever hear of that?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gounads posted:

Popped over to go over the list of stuff left and hand over another big chunk of money.

He was on top of pretty much everything.
Shower door is being measured tomorrow.
Couldn't do lawn today, too wet.

The fan in the bathroom that stays on... is supposed to stay on. It goes down to 1/3 speed and is apparently some newish code. Anyone ever hear of that?

Stays on all the time forever, or whenever the light is on, or...

The latter is what I'm familiar with.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

I've heard of it being controlled by a humidity sensor, but not always on forever. Call the inspector and ask them directly?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a 24-hour ventilation rule. Some rooms with larger windows have little vents and drip ports in the frame, but our bath and toilets also have fans. They're usually switched off, but "Keep the fan on" signs are common for bathrooms without windows.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Could be on an internal timer too

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

dreesemonkey posted:

Hard to tell what the rest of the wall is, but chances are you can't get your wallmount tv stand to fit over the wiring hole anyway, you want it offset to the side. No power up on that part of the wall sucks, but would be easy enough to add a remodel box and connect to the lower outlet.

Here is one I did in my basement, you can see that the box would not fit within the wallmount.

You need a better mount:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612490-REG/Chief_LTMU_FUSION_Micro_Adjustable_Tilt_Wall.html

I know they are a bit pricey, but they're so easy to work with, and there is plenty of space to route cables. Chief mounts are all we'll use at work now. They are also good and solid, and don't have any lovely sharp edges.

I hate cheap mounts.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

silvergoose posted:

Stays on all the time forever, or whenever the light is on, or...

The latter is what I'm familiar with.

Forever.

Light on, full fan.
Full fan stays on for a couple minutes after you turn it off.
Slow, nearly silent, fan on after.

I found a little info online saying this is normal in tightly sealed houses but it seems bizarre to me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That sounds more like the HVAC system is exhausting through the evac duct, rather than the fan actually being on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Gounads posted:

Forever.

Light on, full fan.
Full fan stays on for a couple minutes after you turn it off.
Slow, nearly silent, fan on after.

I found a little info online saying this is normal in tightly sealed houses but it seems bizarre to me.

Ask the builder to show you the mechanical ventilation checklist. It may or may not have been required at some point for inspections, but would be what dictated that action.

I'm not a new HVAC guy but know it's done intentionally and kind of a nuisance. I try to put them in powder rooms if I can.

• Locked thread