Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

'A for effort, F for quality' is still an unmitigated failure.

EDIT: Also, I'd dispute that it's even complete. From what we're hearing, a lot of material couldn't be finished so the dev team scrapped it and shipped what was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Sorites posted:

EDIT: Also, I'd dispute that it's even complete. From what we're hearing, a lot of material couldn't be finished so the dev team scrapped it and shipped what was there.

Not defending Uranium but scrapping incomplete content at deadline is a pretty common practice and I can name off the top of my head at least five triple-A studios that do this.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Onmi posted:

That's not something you get rewarded for. And the worst thing is, the dev team is arrogant and thinks they did better than Gamefreak.

So no, I'm exactly as hard on Uranium as I need to be. gently caress Uranium.

The Head designer slagged on Game Freak for not being and doing the C&D because they're totes jealous that SuMo would be outshined by Uranium, and not you know standard practice of protecting one's intellectual property.

Then he turned around and announced he sent an application to Game Freak.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sorites posted:

Also, I'd dispute that it's even complete. From what we're hearing, a lot of material couldn't be finished so the dev team scrapped it and shipped what was there.

This happens with tons of actual games. Look at Wind Waker or even Ocarina of Time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The real question is why this fangame had a deadline, after nine years.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Some Numbers posted:

This happens with tons of actual games. Look at Wind Waker or even Ocarina of Time.

But those don't leave in mentions of areas that is completely inaccessible or just plain not doable in the game. You wouldn't know either one wasn't complete without going out and looking up cut content online or fanzines.

EDIT: The release seemed to be prompted by the C&D that they got

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Yeah, I'm not knocking it for having dummied out content. But the main legendaries? Entire areas of the map that still appear on the map?

Imagine if Ocarina of Time had just axed the Water Temple by bricking over that one door, but the whole game script still acted like the Water Temple was a thing.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Sorites posted:

To be fair to Uranium, the devs probably wanted to do some more content after their big release, but Nintendo's C&D put a stop to that.

But the content that IS here? It's trash.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tenebrais posted:

The real question is why this fangame had a deadline, after nine years.

I can actually answer this. To try to push the lazy shits in developmental to doing their job.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Proud Rat Mom posted:

I mean not getting into spoilers like the game wraps up its story, attempts to have dramatic moments and stuff. it's pretty edgy and childish but I like the fact the game can be 'completed', has different themes for towns even though they don't always pan out, and a varied dex with mostly mediocre mons.

I did overlook the fact and agree alot probably has to do with the pokemon tools for rpgmaker. But overall taking in it's a fan project, It's ok for what it is.
pros: it's finished
cons: everything else

ive played fan games that are miles better than 95% of 'real' games. it's really unfair to both the good and bad fan games to downgrade your expectations so much. the good games deserve much more praise than 'well, it's finished,' and the bad ones obviously set out to make something much better than just a complete project.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Sorites posted:

Knowing that Uranium was created by adults over the course of nine years with a tool that basically lets them assemble large chunks of the game from standard Pokemon building blocks really seals the deal for me. If it was made by some kids who really wanted to bring their own pokemon to life or whatever, I'd probably be pretty impressed by it. There's not an insignificant amount of original stuff here when you consider the custom sprites and music remixes, and while the designs are mostly awful I'd say the spritework is fairly solid.

But then I remember that it was made by adults over the course of nine years and it just seems kinda...terrible.

Endorph posted:

ive played fan games that are miles better than 95% of 'real' games.

Care to mention any in particular? Not that I don't believe you, but other than AM2R I can't think of any fangames I'd say were great. I'd be interested in playing some.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Rainuwastaken posted:

Care to mention any in particular? Not that I don't believe you, but other than AM2R I can't think of any fangames I'd say were great. I'd be interested in playing some.

DoomRL.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

But those don't leave in mentions of areas that is completely inaccessible or just plain not doable in the game. You wouldn't know either one wasn't complete without going out and looking up cut content online or fanzines.

Wind Waker definitely feels incomplete, with the way the Triforce hunt goes towards the end of the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: The release seemed to be prompted by the C&D that they got

so what you're saying here is that you've never played phantom pain

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Straight White Shark posted:

I mean... kind of? From a creative standpoint, Uranium represents a staggering amount of effort, drive--and, yes, even a fair bit of talent. Kit or no kit, assembling a game of Uranium's scope is no small feat. It's "ok" in that it's playable and in some sense that is itself a significant accomplishment and I think it's fair to recognize that.

From a player's standpoint, though, none of that really matters. Being an impressive labor of love doesn't actually make the game worth playing. If I want to play a janky Pokemon knockoff it's pretty easy to find something that scratches that itch better than Uranium--to say nothing of, you know, just playing actual Pokemon games.

Also, if the criticism seems unnecessarily harsh, remember that someone actually thought that this thing was something worth creating and sharing with the world:

:agreed:

Just thought despite it's many problems, there's a base level of competency, effort and hell even a few good ideas in uranium. I agree and laugh at most of the comments, but the weird level of intense dislike and minute scrutinising people post is more at the level of actual broken or offensive messes, not for a sub-mediocre pokemon fan game.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I've only watched streams or LPs of these rather than actually played them, but:

* Psycho Waluigi seems pretty great.
* I'm not entirely sure what to call Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden (Chapter One of the Hoopz Barkley Saga), but you could arguably call it a fangame, and it also seems pretty great.
* Mega Man Unlimited is hard but very well polished, in terms of thinhs like graphids, music and a couple of inspired enemy designs. Mega Man generally seems to attract a ton of fangames and romhacks, including goon in joke fangame Mega Man Dongs.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 7, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Manatee Cannon posted:

so what you're saying here is that you've never played phantom pain

Everyone knows Phantom Pain is incomplete from playing it, you wouldn't know OoT has dummied out content unless you go looking for it.

There's a difference between a Finished product with things they decided not to put in the game that they erased evidence of, and a game that isn't actually finished - there's a huge difference and to say otherwise is being willfully obtuse.

It's like saying Dracula is unfinished because Stroker decided not to put the chapters known as 'Dracula's Guest' in the final version of the book - that's a complete book with content Stoker decided not to use, Dicken's The Mystery of Edwin Drood is on the other hand is an unfinished work.

So OoT and Windwaker are Draculas, and Uranium is Edwin Drood.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 7, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Every game has stuff that's cut or excised at various points in development. The trick is how well you hide it, or how well the rest of the game stands up, so that nobody notices.

Of course, the problem with most fangames is that there's plenty of stuff that should have been cut, but weren't because they're not professional game devs and aren't working on a schedule where cuts seem necessary.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dancingbears posted:

And it's worth remembering that OFS is cheating to show us this. He has infinite dirt-cheap Rare Candies, so a major obstruction to any fun to be had has been removed. Imagine if every update featured OFS mentioning "And then I had to grind on random Pokemon for hours because the EXP is awful" a dozen times.

The game actually gives us a pretty good grinding source about now, since we have Fly. It cuts it to only a few hours.

A shame there was nothing close before now except that small window where you could refight Theo, and that at best it's a band-aid since there's no other way to get to endgame levels with your sanity intact (unless you edit the game like I did but shhh)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

fantasy maiden wars 1-4, some of the best strategy rpgs ever made, 100% unironically. They're touhou fangames. eternal fighter zero is a fighting game based on visuals novels by KEY that is a pretty drat good fighting game.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rainuwastaken posted:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: The 7th Stand User is really good and is so convincingly made to look like a gameboy game that I actually wondered if it was a ROM for a game I'd never heard of until I got far enough into realize there's no way it'd ever fit on a gameboy cart. Grief Syndrome is very good at what it's trying to be.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

quote:

I was honestly not sure which if any of these were pokemon at first

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Super Smash Land is a tiny bit janky, but incredibly impressive, and basically hits the same zone as 7th Stand User in "I'd buy this was a Gameboy game if it wasn't way too big to fit on a cart".

Edit They also implemented a secret character, creating their moveset basically from whole cloth: Vaporeon

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 7, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr. Dos posted:

I was honestly not sure which if any of these were pokemon at first

:same:

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Touhou Puppet Dance Performance is the best Pokemon game I've ever played.

CaptianKatsura fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 7, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rainuwastaken posted:

Endorph posted:

fantasy maiden wars 1-4, some of the best strategy rpgs ever made, 100% unironically. They're touhou fangames.

Seconding this, Fantasy Maiden Wars is amazing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
There are a lot of really high quality touhou fangames in general for basically every genre of game because the touhou fandom is insane.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragonatrix posted:

If you could ride a dragon anywhere and everywhere, why would you ever not

my name is cameron stormbringer and i have all the points in dragon riding skill

Rainuwastaken posted:

AM2R comes immediately to mind, yes, as does Castlevania: The Lecarde Chronicles. If you extend it to romhacks, Sonic Megamix is astoundingly well-designed (Sonic 2 Megamix a little less so, but it's tolerable.)

If we're talking "dojin games" (which are a little different than the traditional 'fangame' due to the slightly more relaxed laws in Japan for fanwork), then Grief Syndrome and the enormous Touhou fanwork library have already been mentioned; there's also Higurashi Daybreak, which has its problems but is still perfectly playable. Ragnarok Battle Online (made by the people who made the Melty Blood games) is actually a nice, crunchy beat-em-up using RO's aesthetic/worldsetting, though it can get a bit grindy. Basically, if we extend it to the "all works done unofficially by companies and sold at cons" that dojin titles tend to encompass, we'd be here all day just because of companies like Twilight Frontier (The Eternal Fighter/Grief Syndrome/Touhou fighting game people) and French Bread (the Melty Blood/RBO guys) alone, to say nothing of the hundreds of other circles out there.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 7, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

Streets of Rage Revisited is basically what you'd get if you applied Metal Slug 3 levels of scope creep to Streets of Rage 2/3. All the characters, all the levels, new special moves, a couple of hilariously broken hidden characters (completely optional, thankfully), and they outright copied all the animation frames, timings, damage values, etc. from the original games so it feels exactly correct.

There are plenty of unironically good ROM hacks out there as well, in addition to tons of dross of course. The best ones tend to just be too difficult for general audiences and are otherwise indistinguishable from official content. I'll specifically mention Super Metroid: Eris here, mostly because I'm slowly doing an LP of it for the ROMHackeria thread (mini-OP for SM:E specifically).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The best ones tend to just be too difficult for general audiences and are otherwise indistinguishable from official content.

I thought about mentioning Zelda Outlands, but I soured enough on original NES Zelda that its difficulty made me hesitate. Certainly a fair shake better than your usual difficulty hack, though. Others in this vein: Mario 64 Star Road, Super Metroid Redesigned, The Second Reality Project Reloaded, pretty much every Megaman romhack out there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pokemon Uranium: We spent two pages listing better fan games.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Leraika posted:

There are a lot of really high quality touhou fangames in general for basically every genre of game because the touhou fandom is insane.

There was also Labyrinth of Touhou, vaguely similar to Etrian Osyssey, except powered by sake and insanity.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Raitzeno posted:

There was also Labyrinth of Touhou, vaguely similar to Etrian Osyssey, except powered by sake and insanity.

That was actually going to be my first recommendation if I was gonna name specifics. I hear Genius of Sapphieros is also really good (touhou + SaGa) but I've yet to actually play it. Also: MegaMari, the Koumajou Densetsu series (touhou + Castlevania) and Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity (touhou + Ys, actually got a professional translation and release in the US).

Nothing beats Touhou Soccer, however:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kofnEdB8Blc

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Isn't there even a Touhou reskin of Fire Red?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Uranium positives:
  • The surf ninjas.
  • The pirates feel like they're straight out of Pokemon; the "arr I gave away I was a pirate because I can't stop myself from talking like one" joke is the sort of thing I would expect from Team Aqua.
  • I guess that makes the Ninjas vs Pirates theme one of the best parts of the game by extension?
  • They at least *acknowledged* the issues regarding HMs and had key items to replace them along the way so you wouldn't need them all on a team at once. It's not the best solution (what Sun and Moon did with Riding Pokemon was drastically better implemented), but it's still better than the HM mess of Gens 1-6.
  • Some of the Fakemon designs are okay, I guess
  • It actually came out in a close-to-finished state before getting DCMA'd, I guess?
  • Clearly had a lot of effort put into it.
  • It isn't as bad as a lot of other Pokemon fangames.

Uranium negatives:
  • Not even finished, although the DMCAs and the like would make that difficult.
  • To compound that, the dialogue occasionally refers to stuff that never even was implemented.
  • The Nuclear type exists.
  • Atrocious balancing in general.
  • Holy gently caress the plot is trash.
  • Especially the main villain.
  • The "O"ST is either ripped straight out of Pokemon games/the anime/fan remixes of such, ripped straight out of other games (hi Mother 3 and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles) or is original music that sucks
  • Almost every attempt at humor is garbage at best if not actively revolting or offensive at worst. Remember that one gamer girl in the fourth gym?
  • Is passive-aggressive as hell over quality-of-life things. Why is the watering can only available in the postgame?
  • Trying to keep the tone of a regular Pokemon game while nuclear meltdowns go off every once in a while and your mom dies on screen doesn't work, and it gives up at the end anyways. Honestly, it would probably have worked better if they had ditched the eight gyms/Pokemon league part of the games and gone all-in on the meltdown plot; at least then it wouldn't have such ridiculous mood swings.
  • Did not have enough effort put into it, given the blatant mistakes that start cropping up after the seventh gym. (Probably rushed to beat SM to release) And the several several several other issues.
  • The game exists.

Also going to second Touhou Puppet Dance Preformance as being the best Pokemon fangame I've ever played.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I definitely 3rd the 7th Stand User as being a really fantastic RPG, and there's suppose to be another one based on Part 4 in the works.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PMush Perfect posted:

Isn't there even a Touhou reskin of Fire Red?

That would be the original Touhou Puppet Play, colliqually "Touhoumon", yes. There's like twenty variations, all with their own moves, types, and type charts.

Puppet Dance Performance is essentially the Touhoumon version of Uranium, in that it's a standalone product built from the ground up. (It's much less :emo: than Uranium, though.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Pokemon Uranium: We spent two pages listing better fan games.

I mean, the list is pretty long, so...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Did anyone list Day In The Limelight 2 yet? It's a megaman fangame that is a total remake of megaman 3, where you play as the megaman 2 bosses, each of which plays totally differently. It's incredibly well balanced and tons of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Goddamn near everybody posted:

A ton of good fangames

Wow, thanks so much you guys. I didn't expect to get a pile of games THIS big to look at, but I'm pretty excited at just how many of them there are to play. You guys rock. :kimchi:

• Locked thread